Final

A Good Luck



Someone ever told her before. You just have to keep on doing good things and good lucks will follow you for the whole time. And so Lee Hayi believed it deep to the bottom of her heart.



She always willingly did the chores by herself—like throwing a can from the floor, cleaning the classroom even when it was not her turn yet, helping out a teacher on her break time, and many other good things that were helpful for the people around her—and as what she was being told, good luck always chased after her from behind. At least, that was what she thought.



She got a wonderful family and a bunch of nice friends, not to mention her grades in school were always above expectation too and she was currently living a very good life which she believed as the "positive" impacts of the good things she has done all this time. Even when people told her it was useless, that no one was really aware of the good things that she did, Hayi was still standing tall on her ground. She believed doing good things was the only way to be a better person—both for the reality and the mentality sides—and so it naturally had already become her habit instead.



That's become impossible for her to ignore the others in help. Even though she might be the one that got into the trouble in their place instead.



Just like what happened that day, when their homeroom teacher got so vexed up about their window that was broken after getting hit by the volley ball a moment ago.



"So, who did it?" Mr. Kim asked again, for already the second time, and Hayi began to feel the unbearable tense that was happening in the classroom.



The girls, who played volley in the class before, kept their lips sealed and immediately put on an innocent face as if it had nothing to do with them at all. Hayi could have care less about the matter, really, if only Soohyun wasn't a part of them. She was her close friend, the one that was always being really nice to her so Hayi really couldn't let her face the trouble alone. The whisper on her head told her that she shouldn't let Mr. Kim found out about the truth.



"ANSWER ME! WHO DID THIS?!" Mr. Kim shouted, causing every of the student there to flinch a little, before his eyes stopped at a bunch of girls at the corner of the room and gave them a suspicious stare. "You guys have volley ball extracurricular today, don't you?"



Soohyun looked very startled. Hayi could just easily tell. Moreover when both of their gaze collided and Hayi felt something were strucking down her heart. She couldn't let Soohyun get into trouble.



"Uh-uhm," Hayi muttered, turning the whole attention into her just in a blink of an eye. "I-I did it. I apologize."



Mr. Kim didn't buy her words but she kept insisting that she was really the one who broke the window to the point where Mr. Kim got tired of it and just told her to stand at the corridor as the punishment instead. She did as what he told her, and spent the whole hour standing by herself outside of the classroom, still regret nothing for doing so.



Instead, she was really glad that she eventually decided to turn herself in. She just couldn't imagine if those sweet Soohyun was the one that had to stand there. She was too good to do such things.



"Woah, Miss Hayi, what are you doing this time?"



Hayi tilted her head back, recognizing the face in front of her. It was Kim Jiwon. As known as the most popular guy in the school and she got a reason why she could befriend with such an amazing guy.



"I broke the window," she replied to him, kind of straightforwardly.



That guy laughed, as expected. He was laughing too hard that Hayi could see the visible wrinkles formed by the edge of his eyes.



"You heard that? After making the councilman tripped last week, she broke a window this time," said Jiwon, still hardly laughing, while nudging on a quiet guy that was standing behind him.



Hayi looked at him, meeting his cold gaze that giving some kind of unfriendly feelings. She knew his name. Kim Hanbin. And when she thought about it carefully, that was all she knew about those guy.



Kim Hanbin was Kim Jiwon's best buddy so they were often being seen hanging out together and in some other time, Hayi would exchange stare with him like that whenever Jiwon came to her to have a short unimportant talk and it happened that Hanbin was apparently with him too. Aside from that, there's nothing much she could tell about Kim Hanbin. Or more like, she didn't know about him at all since both of them had never talked to each others before.



Hanbin just shrugged. Exactly like what Hayi expected. Well, she was kinda aware that Hanbin might probably not like her afterall. Not that she could do something about that.



"Hey, what about karaoke after school? Getting rid off your bad day, maybe?" Jiwon offered, with his right-side eyebrow raised. Typical him when he had some hidden intentions. "You can ask Hayoung to join us too."



And that was the reason of why she could become friends with the popular Kim Jiwon. She was a close friend of Oh Hayoung, the girl that he had been chasing for this late five months. End of story. Enough to be a reason. And that's all to it.



"Still no progression?" she guessed, couldn't help a grin on her face.



Jiwon frowned. Looking so blue. "She really is hard-to-get type. You have to help me, Hayi."



She raised her eyebrows, wondering what she could do to help him. His playful and sometimes airhead behaviour aside, Kim Jiwon was actually a very nice and dependable guy. He knew how to treat the girl he liked in a very comfortable way and totally understood when it was the time to take and to give. In short, even though he might not look like it, Kim Jiwon was every girls' dream boy. And it would be nice if he could end up being as one of her close friend's lover. That was a great idea.



"I will ask her," Hayi finally agreed to his plan but quickly added when she noticed the overwhelming happiness that was shown by his narrowed eyes, "but, this is not a promise, okay?"



Jiwon chuckled, giving a glance at Hanbin that was still having no expression. "I know it, Hayi. Don't worry. We will still be going to have fun even if she refused to come along."



That was great. He was indeed a nice guy. And that's what make Hayi wanted to help him more.



"It's settled then," Hayi smiled, later accidentally meeting with Hanbin's cold eyes again. "You will come too, right?"



His face remained unchanged but Hayi could just see the slight surprisement pictured by his eyes. Perhaps he didn't expect her to talk to him at all.



"Of course, right?" Jiwon took Hanbin's part to answer while giving the taller a brother hug. "He has someone he likes in your group."



That was surprising for Hayi. She didn't see it coming at all but from the way that guy looked just as much surprised as her, Hayi figured that he actually didn't want anyone to know. Or it was only her that wasn't allowed to know instead. Rest assured, they weren't even friends to begin with.



"Really?" was all that Hayi could say, since it didn't look like she should have asked who the girl was. "Then I will try to ask all of them to come along. I guess it will be more convenient, right?"



Jiwon grinned. Meanwhile Hanbin still didn't show any gratefulness at all.



It seemed more like he was annoyed. Very much. Though Hayi didn't really want to overthink about his weirdness at the time.



"Sounds cool, Hayi. We'll be waiting at the gate later," said Jiwon, putting an end to their talk, before he dragged Hanbin to leave with him. Though right before they completely turned around and walked away, Hayi could see Hanbin was giving her another glare again.



The one that convinced Hayi more that Hanbin was indeed didn't like her. Pretty much.
















All of Hayi's friends, which consisted of five girls in total, were up to Jiwon's plan to go to karaoke together in the end. Including Oh Hayoung, much to Hayi's relief, more to Jiwon's happiness.



Jiwon himself invited the other five of his friends too—just in case, he said—so everyone eventually ended up getting into a weird and awkward pairing instead and as expected, no one chose Kim Hanbin. The reason was probably because he had been glaring at people since then, definitely not being friendly at all and instead kept on creating death atmosphere around him despite some people tried to be nice towards him.



Even though no one really forced her to, nor she didn't have any other pairs to accompany her, Hayi finally decided to be Kim Hanbin's pairing in the end. She just felt quite uncomfortable by watching him being all by himself in the corner of the room, so, because it wouldn't kill her anyway, she moved to sit next to him in attempt to make him feel slightly better instead. Though she wasn't really sure if he would feel any better or even worse by having her as his partner.



"Hey," Hayi greeted him, with the widest smile possible, only to get a glare from him as a reply.



Hayi looked away, since seeing him glaring at her from within a metre distance felt so uneasy somehow. She wasn't exactly scared though. It was just something that was kind of unpleasant—and slightly hurted her. Perhaps.



"What are you doing here?" Hanbin asked her, after a minute of deadly silence between them.



Hayi turned at him again. She noticed he wasn't really glaring anymore. "Being your partner?"



His lips parted, but there's a short moment of pause first before the words finally came out. "And why?"



Good question, Hayi thought to herself.



"Just because," she muttered, but quickly thought of another reason after he started to glare again. "Well, I don't really know the others."



Kim Hanbin went silence. He was only staring at Hayi, making the girl felt so awkward inwardly, before he poured a drink for his ownself while mumbling something unclear to her.



Hayi frowned. She couldn't hear him because of all the noises. "What?"



Hanbin looked at her, from the edge of his eyes. Coldly. "I said, it's not like we know each others too."



Hayi raised her eyebrows, thinking about his words for a moment, before burst into laughter.



Hanbin just silently stared at her. He was not that surprised towards her sudden laugh afterall.



"I know you though," she finally claimed, very confident. "You are Kim Hanbin."



Hanbin waited for more, since she just said that she knew him—as if she were implying that she knew about his personal matter too—but she actually had no continuation after telling him his name. She just knew his name. And that's it. Not like Hanbin couldn't predict it would turn out that way though.



"Don't tell me you didn't know me," she guessed, looking very serious about it.



Hanbin took a deep sigh. "I know. An idiot."



With those one word, he successfully shut her up. Hayi didn't even know why Kim Hanbin was suddenly being so mean like that. Even if it was a joke, it was still coming out of the blue, which she wasn't prepare herself for.



"Idiot?" Hayi repeated, frowning a little too deep. "So what makes you think so?"



"A lot," he said, casually leaning against the couch. "You just always do something stupid, Hayi."



She heard it a lot. Really. So she didn't have to ask him about what did he mean about that anymore.



"Being a little kind-hearted is not a sin, no?" she smiled. Half-heartedly.



"Well, someone ever told me that being kind-hearted and being total stupid is only separated by a thin line," he shrugged, still keeping his glazed face on. "And you have crossed the line."



The talk was leading to something that was a little unpleasant for Hayi so she decided to let him had an easy win instead. She wasn't the right person to have a debate with afterall. She would prefer quit the talk and being at fault rather than letting her temper to lead the way. She was pretty cool about that.



"You are not going to sing?" she switched the topic, simply avoiding drama.



"No," he quickly replied, as if nothing were going to change his mind. "You?"



"Me neither," Hayi flashed a smile, awkwardly. "I can't really sing."



Hanbin stared at her for a moment, before shaking his head with a smirk placed by his face. "Liar."



Hayi turned at him, looking completely confused. "What?"



Hanbin smiled. And that was actually the very first time Hayi saw it. "I said you are a liar."
















"Are you going home alone, Hayi?"



Hayi turned at Jiwon, who asked her those question with his voice filled with concerns just a moment after their karaoke time finished, before she showed him a smile to put him at ease.



"My house is nearby, Jiwon. Put that aside, you should have use this perfect chance to take her home, you know," Hayi gave him a special advice.



"Who?" he pretend to be dumb. Or he really was. Hayi just couldn't tell.



"Hayoung, you know," Hayi rolled her eyes. "She is always afraid of darkness so I'm really sure she wouldn't turn you down."



His face became red, and Hayi noticed the way his voice got a little weaker than before. "Really? Should I?"



Hayi nodded. "You should."



"Alright," Jiwon took a deep sigh, then gave Hayi a small pat on her shoulder while saying, "take care, Hayi."



Hayi smiled. She was really happy to be able to help him for getting closer to Hayoung. They were such a perfect match afterall. She just couldn't imagine them being with anybody else at all. And while having those thought, Hayi added another point to the list of good things she has done for that day.



She felt much better that way.



Though it wasn't that long until her smile was taken down right after someone was coming on the middle of her way, swiftly turning his bike to block the road.



And it was much more surprising after she acknowledged him as Kim Hanbin.



"Get on," he told her. Or demanded. She wasn't sure.



"What?" she frowned, wondering if she misheard something.



"Get on. I'll take you home," he said. Though despite all those nice words that he used, his face was still just stay the same as before. Very sullen. And bitter.



Having no other options left, Hayi decided to just listen to what he said and carefully get on the back seat. That was the time when Hayi realized he was pretty strong despite his slender looks because he didn't lose the balance at all when she stepped on the handle and put her weight on the cold metal. He made her feel so light when in fact she wasn't.



"Why? This is not like you," she finally took the chance to ask, since the silence between them was somehow felt a little too cold.



"Well, just because," he replied, reminding her to the answer that she gave him before which unconsciously put a smile down her face. It hit her right on her face.



"You said being kind-hearted is just the same as being total stupid though?" she raised her eyebrows, still smiling from ear-to-ear.



"I'm standing before the line," he said, and Hayi could just tell he was smiling from the way his voice getting a little lighter.



"Fine," Hayi shrugged, tilting her head a little to see the bright full moon was smiling above their heads.



And she believed that's the way God paid off all the good things that she has done for the whole day.



"Say," his voice suddenly came through the air, causing Hayi to pull her gaze from the moon to the back of his head. "You like Jiwon, don't you?"



Hayi stared at the way the breeze tugged on the end of his hair and smiled. "Should I tell you?"



The silence built between the two of them, as Hayi could only hear the soft beating of her own heart. She could feel it was beating in pains.



"That's why I said you are an idiot," he finally talked again.



Hayi raised her eyebrows, slightly curious about how he might look like that time. "You know, someone ever told me that if I keep on doing good things, then good luck will follow me from behind too. And I believe it. So don't laugh."



"Well, then tell me what "good luck" that you mean," he chuckled, sending off a challenge.



"I have a great family, nice friends around me, enough foods everyday, satisfying grades in school—I can go on and on about this but you got the point," she heaved a sigh and closed her eyes as she let the breeze took the heavy weight in her heart away. "If it's indeed the best one for me, then God will try to find the way to give it to me in the end. I bet it."



He chuckled, softly. "You are indeed just plain stupid."



"Then you are one too because you are helping me right now," she threw back words at him.



"At least, I wasn't the one that replace my friend to get the punishment of breaking a window nor the one that took care of the flowers at the back of the school everyday only to claim that it was my friend's hard work in front of her crush," he blabbered, without any seconds to take a pause and Hayi could only stare at his back in a daze.



How could he know about that?—she wondered.



"That's your house, right?" he asked her, and Hayi just realized that they were getting closer to where she lived.



"Yeah," she muttered, still wasn't really understand the whole situation.



He stopped his bike exactly in front of her house, and Hayi slowly jumped off his bike while staring at him in confusion. But that guy was only smiling at her instead. The one that was very tenderly—and sweetly embracing her soul.



And it suddenly hit her that she never told him where her house was before. She never did. Yet he managed to know.



"You know, I'm taking you home not because I'm trying to be a kind-hearted person," he said, slowly, yet his voice filled with conviction thoroughly. As if his serious gaze alone wasn't enough to move her heart to the edge of the cliff. "I'm just simply a sly person."



Before Hayi could ask him a question—not even saying a single thank you—he immediately turned his head and rode his bike away, leaving her behind with a hundred of question marks in her mind.



Well, she wasn't really sure what he was trying to say, but she believed what her grandmother said was true afterall.



Good luck was probably starting to follow her back.