Chapter 6

Feeling Foreign at a Funeral

After Kyungsoo had dragged Jongin downstairs, they enjoyed a very awkward breakfast with Jongin's family thanks to Andres. He kept giving shaking his head at Jongin and Kyungsoo every time they even looked at each other. Luckily, he hadn't told Jongin's mom so she was just as confused as they were. Jongin and Kyungsoo simply ate faster and then asked to be excused from the table early. They spent the rest of the time they had finalizing the details for their first date before Kyungsoo had to leave. Jongin had wanted to walk him home and kiss him at the door but since Andres was present, Kyungsoo insisted against it. Both of them knew that Andres was just kidding around to make them feel shy about each other and that it would blow over.

During the few days they spent apart, they both went about their own business but kept in touch. It was mostly Jongin sending texts and Kyungsoo replying with smiley faces and other appropriate emoticons. Jongin could be annoyed at Kyungsoo's lack of words for him but he thought of it as similar to the conversations they have in person. Kyungsoo is a tad quieter but the cute little facial expressions and laughs he would let out in front of Jongin were all worth it. In the same way, Kyungsoo meticulously chose emoticons that perfectly fit the situation so Jongin was pleased.

Finally the day has come for their date and Kyungsoo is beyond excited. He even decides not to be a fashion terrorist for a day, even though Jongin says that he likes it when Kyungsoo dresses weird. He almost picked up the phone to call Baekhyun to help him get dressed but then he remembered the time when Baekhyun told him that wearing skinny jeans makes him look submissive.

"What does that even mean?" Kyungsoo had replied in utter shock at Baekhyun's stupidity. "You wear skinny jeans all the time."

"Oh, sorry I didn't clarify. Just you. When YOU wear skinny jeans YOU look submissive." Baekhyun had acted like he'd solved a murder case when his criticism was neither constructive nor useful. And hey, what's wrong with being submissive? Kyungsoo surely wanted to submit to Jongin and let hi- Wait! No thoughts. None. Well actually that really doesn't really make sense. Kyungsoo needs to think to function. He's amused that people think Kyungsoo is super smart or even scary. His thoughts are filled with gibberish like this in which he tells himself the obvious and answers his own rhetorical questions. He's really just shy and studies a lot. Kyungsoo laughs to himself at how he's got everyone fooled. But back to Baekhyun, Kyungsoo decided against that phone call.

In the end, he does wear skinny jeans. Black ones. They make his thighs look good. He also wears a dark blue and gray crewneck shirt. It makes his shoulders look not as nonexistent as they usually do. Kyungsoo had come to terms with his narrow shoulders but he still wanted to cover them up every once in a while. Plus it didn't matter because Jongin has already seen him in a plain t-shirt. He finishes off the look with some plain white sneakers. He stands in the mirror and admits (with difficulty) that he looks good.

On the other hand, Jongin simply throws on striped white sweater and some light-wash ripped jeans. He's also wearing some white sneakers. Although it took less effort than Kyungsoo's ordeal, when Kyungsoo sees him standing at his front door he still finds him so attractive. He also notices how Jongin's shoulders still look so much broader than his own even though he is only wearing a thin sweater. He pushes down that jealousl and greets Jongin happily. It subsides even more when Jongin throws in a kiss on the cheek.

"Hi, are you ready to go?" Jongins asks. Kyungsoo nods with a smile and follows Jongin out to his luxury car. Kyungsoo will honestly never get used to seeing his college tuition shaped into a moving metal contraption. But he lets Jongin open the door for him anyway and figures he should enjoy himself. Once they are both in the vehicle and their seatbelts are on, they fall into comfortable silence. Jongin stares ahead, focused on the road for most of the beginning of the ride, but at a stoplight he chances a glance across to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo seems focused on something himself. Jongin becomes curious about what is crowding his mind so he asks.

"What are you thinking about?" Kyungsoo jolts in surprise and subsequently laughs at his reaction. He hums.

"This was a few days ago but Andres said something that stuck with me," Kyungsoo confesses. They're moving again so Jongin is looking ahead but he gives Kyungsoo a short look to signal him to continue. "Well, I'm not sure if you understood it but he said, 'Be good to my son.'"

"What is that, a threat? Andres is always joking around. Don't take him seriously." Jongin says quickly.

"Jongin, I know that." Kyungsoo puts a hand over Jongin's free hand. "What stayed with me is that he called you his son." Kyungsoo gives Jongin a meaningul look. Jongin can feel Kyungsoo's gaze on the side of his face. Kyungsoo is worried that he is overstepping but he sees a small smile break out on Jongin's face and hopes that that gives him permission to speak his mind.

"Jongin, I think he loves you more than you think. And your sister does too. Maybe I can help you get closer to them and you can help me get closer to people other than my family, make friends, you know?" By now, the car has stopped. Jongin lets go of the wheel and takes the keys from the ignition. He turns towards Kyungsoo and holds out his pinky. Kyungsoo takes it immediately and they complete their pinky promise before he gets out of the car. Once he steps out of the car, he hears the click of Kyungsoo's seatbelt and then his door.

"If you open your own door, I'll just make you get back in and open it again for you." Kyungsoo lets go of the handle and waits. Jongin comes around to his side of the car quickly enough. "I just wanna be a little chivalrous in the beginning. I'll stop after a while. Let's go." Jongin makes a bold move (in his opinion, appreciated in Kyungsoo's eye) and holds Kyungsoo's hand. They walk towards the cafe. Once they enter, they both order some sandwiches and coffee, Jongin hot, Kyungsoo iced. They also find out that they both like carrot cake and order a piece to share. While they wait for their food to come out, Jongin immediately strikes up a conversation.

"So, what do you think?"

"Of what? This cafe?" Jongin nods in confirmation. "I think it's cozy and I hope I'll like it even more once I taste the food."

"Trust me. You will. I come here all the time. Best sandiwches and best coffee."

"I'll take your word on that." Kyungsoo tries not to smile too widely but he feels this warmth rise up in his chest when he hears Jongin says, "Trust me." The fact that he heard the words and was actually able to do so is a new feeling.

"What do you think about the campus? Are you excited about school in the fall?" Jongin inquires, genuinely concerned if Kyungsoo picked the right school and if he was happy with it.

"Me gusta el campus. Es muy hermoso. I like the campus. It's very beautiful," Kyungsoo answers in Spanish, much to Jongin's dismay.

"Huh?"

"It's time for your first lesson. Just two sentences today since it's our first date.  I'm sure you can piece that together," Kyungsoo encourages.

"Okay, well I got campus though it was pronounced...like com and then poos." Kyungsoo laughs. "I don't know about me gusta but I remember hermoso meaning pretty or something. So maybe me gusta means that you like the campus and it's pretty?" Jongin seems unsure of himself but Kyungsoo knows that he knows a lot more Spanish than he may think. He just actually needs to think about it and actively try speaking it.

"Good Jongin! That's right. Hermoso or hermosa, the feminine form, means something closer to beautiful but you understood what I was saying. See, you know a lot more than you think." Jongin gets a little shy at Kyungsoo's praise but his happy thoughts are interrupted when their food arrives. Once it is all organized on the table, Jongin pauses.

"Shall we?" Kyungsoo invites in confusion at Jongin's lack of movement.

"You eat first, I want to see your reaction," Jongin explains.

"I'm going to pretend that that didn't sound creepy and try this sandwich." Jongin laughs at himself while Kyungsoo takes a bite of his sandwich. Kyungsoo smiles as he chews to let Jongin know that it's good. Once he has swallowed he tells Jongin explicitly.

"It's so good. Oh my gosh. I think I'm gonna like this place a lot."

"Good! I'm glad you like it." Under the table, their feet clash and Jongin seems like he is going to apologize but Kyungsoo gives him a look that says there's no need. Kyungsoo simply traps Jongin's feet by resting his own over Jongin's toes. He smiles at Jongin as he taps his feet against Jongin's.

"Playing footsie, are we?" Jongin and Kyungsoo hear the loud voice getting closer. Only Jongin knows the voice and knows well enough to dread its diminishing proximity. Kyungsoo just looks around and then looks at Jongin for confirmation. Jongin nods in the direction opposite from where Kyungsoo was looking and Kyungsoo turns to see Chanyeol walking towards them.

"To what do we owe this pleasure?" Jongin asks forcing a smile.

"Hello to you too. If I didn't know any better I'd say you look happy to see me," Chanyeol replies with a chuckle. "Hi Kyungsoo."

"Hi Chanyeol, how are you?" Kyungsoo greets his much taller new friend. Chanyeol puts a hand on his chest in feigned shock.

"Oh gosh, I'm well, Kyungsoo. After receiving such a curt greeting from Jongin, I'm so thankful for your pleasantries." Chanyeol makes a face at Jongin.

"I ask everyone that. Doesn't mean I care about the answer," Kyungsoo suddenly turns serious and Chanyeol is somewhat afraid.

"Oh," is all Chanyeol can let out. Jongin is shocked too but he is happy that he has someone on his side.

"I'm just kidding, Chanyeol. I'm glad that you're well," Kyungsoo chuckles. Chanyeol laughs too, very loudly and he's called some attention to them now. Jongin just stares at Kyungsoo impressed by his ability to fool people, especially Chanyeol who is the prankster of all pranksters. Even Jongdae is struggling these days to prank people.

"How are you, Kyungsoo?" Chanyeol returns once he's recovered from the initial surprise.

"I'm great."

"How's your date going?" Chanyeol asks, chuckling a bit more quietly this time after catching some glares of studying students.

"It's going well," Kyungsoo replies casually as if nothing's out of the ordinary.

"Wait, you are on a date? Whoa, Jongin, you're fast. I didn't think you'd' get the courage to ask him out by yourself. I was already planning the punishments for the dare that we would have given you. Wow, Jonginnie is really all grown up." Chanyeol pretends to wipe a tear and Kyungsoo laughs though he is looking at Jongin. Jongin flushes slightly pink and tries to keep his composure.

"I made up my own punishment instead," Jongin explains. When he looks up, he sees Chanyeol texting someone. "Who is that?"

"Oh, just Jongdae. I'm probably going to meet him somewhere on campus. That reminds me, I have to go. Have fun on your date!" Chanyeol rushes out of the cafe and nothing seems suspicious to Jongin so he simply thinks he can continue talking to Kyungsoo,that is until his phone vibrates. He remembers that Chanyeol is a big mouth and that they have a group chat with the rest of the crew.

From: Yura's brother

OMG I just saw Kaisoo on a date!! They’re at Cucumbers!

 

From: Baekkie hyung

Ooo lala! Did you just make up the couple name?

 

From: Yura’s brother

Yup!

 

From: Kim Jong 2

OMG I’m going there now! I have to give them my blessing in person

 

From: Xi Woomin hyung

Don’t bother them too much ㅠㅠㅠ my dongsaeng has a little boyfriend

 

From: Oh Sehun

He is small. Is this seriously what we were interrupted for?

 

From: Yura’s brother

Jesus would have interrupted you anyway… I hope it wasn’t in public

 

To: Those Idiots

HEY! DID YOU GUYS FORGET THAT I’M IN THIS CHAT?! >:(

 

From: Joonmoney Hyung

Congratulations Jonginnie! Tell Kyungsoo also!

 

From: Xingxing

Who’s Kyungsoo??

 

From: Baekkie hyung

OMG…

 

From: Kim Jong 2

OMG…

 

From: Yura’s brother

Brazil boy!

 

From: Xingxing

Ahhh I thought his name was Hyungsoo. Got mixed up. Sorry! Congrats Kai! Don’t hate me!

 

To: Those Idiots

I’m gonna pretend it never happened, Lay. Chanyeol, you’re dead… everyone and their mom is gonna know now and it’s our first date.

 

From: Xiumin

Bro! Why are you texting during your date?!!! >:(

 

Jongin looks up and sees Kyungsoo staring at him expectantly.

“I’m so sorry. I had to do some damage control. Turns out Chanyeol wasn’t only texting Jongdae but the entire group. We have a group message. Oh, and I know you hate it when people use phones. I’m really sorry. I got caught up in i-“

“It’s okay,” Kyungsoo cut Jongin off. Jongin sighs in relief and makes sure to put his phone somewhere much less accessible even though it is still vibrating nonstop. “I didn’t want to finish my food without you. So let’s eat, it’s getting cold.”

Jongin fights the urge to say, “I love you.” It would have been in a platonic way as a thank you for his understanding but Kyungsoo doesn’t know that so he just thinks it instead. They eat pretty quickly completely immersed in their delicious food. Jongin even goes to refill Kyungsoo’s drink in apology.

“Let’s eat cake!” Jongin exclaims, passing Kyungsoo a fork for them to share. They get through barely a few bites before another loud voice interrupts them. Jongin looks at Kyungsoo first in apology, at that instant remembering Jongdae’s text that he had skimmed over.

“Hello friends! I won’t stay for long but I love you guys and I wish you all the best on your new journey as a couple.” Jongdae immediately bursts out laughing after his corny spiel and Jongin dreads his existence but laughs with Kyungsoo anyway after they make eye contact.

“I was serious about what I said earlier but I also heard you guys were playing footsie! Don’t move too fast Kai! Bye Kyungsoo! I’ll see you soon!” Jongdae adds with a wink. He then scurries away to go wait for his own order and escape Jongin’s wrath.

“Your friends are fun,” Kyungsoo laughs.

“Our friends,” Jongin corrects and Kyungsoo smiles widely, thankful for Jongin’s introduction. They finish eating their carrot cake and realize that it’s getting late. They won’t have much time at the museum but they weren’t planning on staying long anyway. Jongin holds the door for Kyungsoo on the way out of the store and as they walk down the street towards where they parked, they see two familiar figures approaching. Or rather, Kyungsoo sees them first. If Jongin had seen them first he would ran the other way.

“Hi Sehunnie,” Kyungsoo greets Sehun as he walks toward him and Jongin with Baekhyun in hand. Jongin notes how close they seem for Kyungsoo to have already given Sehun a nickname. Sehun gives him a hug and Jongin hugs Baekhyun and then they switch.

“I heard you two are on a date,” Baekhyun says as he pulls away from Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo nods and Baekhyun laughs.

“We should do a double date sometime. Right, Sehun?”

“Definitely.”

“Where are you two headed?” Jongin asks.

“We’re going to Cucumbers to study a bit. Or rather, I’m going to study while Sehun stuffs his face and watches me,” Baekhyun responds.

“Sounds .” Baekhyun laughs and even Sehun cracks a smile. “Well, have fun. We’ve gotta go.”

“Where to?”

“Not telling you. Next thing you know Chanyeol and Jongdae will somehow appear out of thin air again. Bye!”

“Bye Sehun! Bye Baekhyun!” Kyungsoo holds Jongin’s hand again and they walk towards the car. They get in the car as they did before, except Jongin lets Kyungsoo open his own door. Instead, he leans over Kyungsoo and helps him put on his seatbelt. Kyungsoo blushes profusely in surprise at the action. He leans on the window once Jongin begins driving.

“So, you and Sehun seem close?” Kyungsoo can’t tell if this is a statement or a question but he can tell that Jongin may be on the way to being jealous if he isn’t already. Kyungsoo turns towards Jongin with his head still resting on the window and laughs.

“We talk. He stole my number from your phone.” Kyungsoo giggles. “He has a boyfriend.”

“I know,” Jongin defends. “I was just curious since it hasn’t been that long.”

“Uh huh.” Jongin knows he had been caught. Kyungsoo just leans on the window and turns to smile in Jongin’s direction every once in a while for the rest of the ride.

Jongin returns to his chivalrous self once they reach the museum’s entrance. He holds the door open for Kyungsoo and laughs at the eye roll he gets in response. When they enter the first room in the museum Jongin is impressed by how good Kyungsoo is at BS-ing the artwork.

“Let’s go to this one,” Kyungsoo says as he pulls Jongin toward a piece. It was a canvas painted black with one thin, purple upwards diagonal line in the middle.

“Looks like my supply and demand graphs from econ,” Jongin offers and Kyungsoo laughs.

“No, Jongin, it’s much deeper than that. It represents an internal struggle. It represents the uphill battle we sometimes have to lose and how it’s not about how fast we get there or what’s waiting on the other side. It’s about the climb.”

“Oh my gosh, Kyungsoo…isn’t that a song? By like Hannah montana?” Jongin is frozen in disbelief that Kyungsoo almost made him believe that. Kyungsoo is laughing really hard.

“It’s by Miley Cyrus, Jongin. It’s the climb.”

Jongin and Kyungsoo continue walking around with mostly Kyungsoo feeding him stupidity about paintings that could easily be legit explanations but that’s what makes it even more hilarious.

“Let’s go in there,” Jongin suggests. Kyungsoo looks over and sees a small exhibit. It’s all black and it looks like a tunnel. Apparently it has some glow-in-the-dark paintings. Kyungsoo lets Jongin drag him towards the entrance. Once their inside, Kyungsoo realizes how dark it actually is in there. He gets a little nervous and holds onto Jongin’s hand a little tighter. The paintings are really nice despite Kyungsoo’s small bout of fear. They cast a little bit of light in the tunnel. They see a good amount of them before it turns even darker, probably a break in the paintings but Kyungsoo takes hold of Jongin’s arm.

“You okay?” Jongin asks, concerned if something is wrong.

“I’m just a little anxious in here,” Kyungsoo stutters out. He wraps his arms around Jongin’s torso and buries his face into his chest.

“Really? Well, let me distract you for a little bit?” Jongin lifts Kyungsoo’s chin and lets their lips meet. Kyungsoo is surprised at first but it feels exhilarating to be kissing Jongin in this small dark space that happens to be in a semi-public area. Without intending to, he deepens the kiss, sliding his tongue into Jongin’s mouth and pulling him closer. Jongin wraps his arms around Kyungsoo’s waist begins to lead them slowly through the small dark part of the exhibit. Kyungsoo runs his fingers through Jongin’s hair as they stumble through the narrow walkway, trying to coordinate the movement of his feet and the movement of his lips simultaneously. Jongin sees the light behind his eyelids and knows that they are getting closer to being out of the darkness. He doesn’t really want it to end though. Jongin turns them around so he can push Kyungsoo against the wall of the exhibit, gently though, since he doesn’t know how frail it is. He bites Kyungsoo’s bottom lip and Kyungsoo returns the favor before he slots their mouths together again. It starts to get heated and Kyungsoo would have broken it off if someone hadn’t beaten him to the punch.

“Is anyone still in here?” They pull apart and Jongin figures that it’s one of the attendants and panics. “The museum is closing soon.”

“Oh! Uh sorry, we’ll come out the other side now,” Kyungsoo replies to the man since he is coherent enough. Jongin feels Kyungsoo’s hand in his and then blinks repeatedly to rid his eyes of the uncomfortable feeling of the transitioning levels of light. They look at each other and notice that their lips are red and Jongin has a red flush that matches. They exit the museum quickly, a little embarrassed but still pumped full of the adrenaline of the moment. They are quiet until they get to the car. Kyungsoo waits until Jongin is safely driving to speak.

“That was fun.”

“Which part?” Jongin asks for clarification, winking in Kyungsoo’s direction.

“Every part,” Kyungsoo admits and holds Jongin’s free hand again while he drives. “Thank you. I had a lot of fun today.” Jongin squeezes his hand.

“Good. I’m glad. I had fun with you today also.” Soon, Jongin pulls up in front of Kyungsoo’s house and their separation is becoming a reality. He reaches for the keys to turn off the car but Kyungsoo’s hand stops him.

“Nope, don’t turn off the car. We’ll start talking and then we’ll never leave. I’m using wasting your gas as motivation for me to leave you now.” Kyungsoo leans in and kisses Jongin. It’s a much shorter and much more innocent kiss than the one they shared earlier in the night but they both enjoy it just as much.

“I’m sad,” Jongin pouts.

“Nope, that’s my cue.” Kyungsoo opens his own door and gets out. He leans down to look through the passenger side window. “If you look sad, I won’t be able to leave. So I’ll miss you and thank you…for tonight.” He leans in again and Jongin has to unbuckle his seatbelt to lean across the car and kiss Kyungsoo again, though he doesn’t really mind the effort. Kyungsoo keeps it short again. “Mm. Okay I gotta go. Good night, Jongin. Sleep well.”

“You too, Kyungsoo.”

“Aw, that rhymed. Cute.” He starts walking towards his front door with that heart-shaped smile. Jongin is so happy that this smile, this specific one, is just for him. Once Kyungsoo reaches the door, he waves and Jongin waves back before he disappears into his house. Jongin sighs happily before putting on his seatbelt and driving away. Kyungsoo watches him from the window in his room. When Jongin arrives home, it is Andres who just happened to come down for a snack right when Jongin gets home.

“I see that you enjoyed yourself,” Andres jokes. Jongin blushes. He had forgotten about his lips. “I hope you two had fun and that things will go well between you two.”

Gracias, papá. Thanks, dad.” Jongin quickly escapes to his room a little embarrassed by the affectionate term he just used on his stepdad. Andres stays downstairs with his hand on the counter drinking his water with a smile on his face.  

 

----------------------------------------------------

To my lovely readers, sorry I'm 24 hours late. I made this a bit longer to thank you all for waiting.

d326e0d7b8abd638612eb4a0b4cac4ed.jpg

This was what Jongin was wearing even though this is Sehun lol with white sneakers

90343aa5b19ab512de850d0149bba07b.jpg

This is what D.O. was wearing heeeeheheehe so cute.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting!! I really appreciate your comments.