3

From the Past to the Present

'Kim Myungsoo, the Prince'

*She agreed to marrying me? Am I dreaming??* Myungsoo felt a rush of happiness and did not notice the sad faces on Yurin and Howon. *I can't believe she likes me?? So my assumptions were wrong!*

*I thought it was an arranged marriage with Howon. When did it turn into a marriage with Myungsoo?* She tried to hold in her tears. "Appa......." She looked at her father

"Yurin-ah, I'm so proud of you." Her father's eyes started to tear up. "My little girl is so grown up. I can't believe she is getting married."

Yurin did not have the courage to tell her father and also in front of the other three elders that she is in love with Howon and refuses to marry Myungsoo.

Howon is in a state of shock and blank mind. * I can't believe my biggest fear is happening. My first love is marrying my best friend. How will I bare with seeing these two for the rest of my life??*

While everyone was happy chatting about the marriage, no one noticed how Howon and Yurin was at a state of depression.

------------

The elders made Howon stay behind to discuss some important matters relating to waging war against the barbarians.

To make sure his daughter and Myungsoo get even closer, Yurin's father happily suggested that he should walk her to her home.

The two were walking in an awkward silence. Yurin, almost in a state of tears, kept her tears held in. As they walked through the beautiful gardens,Myungsoo enjoyed the sight of the colorful flowers that shone in the moonlight.

He plucked a flower and handed it to Yurin. "For you, my wife." He smiled.

Yurin gave him an awkward smile. "Thanks." She took the flower and dozed off to her own world.

*Why does something feel wrong?* Myungsoo thought. As they passed by a pond in the palace, servants greeted the two.

*I don't want to marry Myungsoo. How can I tell him?* Yurin thought. She felt a gust of wind, sending her shivers in her body.

She rubbed her hands against her arm. Myungsoo, being the caring and sweet guy, noticed how Yurin was shivering wrapped his arms around her.

Startled at his actions, Yurin looked up to see Myungsoo smiling like an idiot.

She did not have the heart to tell Myungsoo how she felt especially if she knew it might anger the Emperor to threaten her family's lives.

She forced out a smile. Unfortunately, Myungsoo was too blinded and happy to notice her 'fake' smile.

*I'm sorry Myungsoo.*

-------------

It was finally their wedding day. Believe it or not, time flew by even though Yurin was at a depressed state.

It definitely did not go unnoticed by Howon and Myungsoo.

Howon had to fight the urge everyday to embrace Yurin and comfort her. He missed how they use to goof off and hangout, but he had duties of his own too. General Lee is reaching his old state and planned on retiring after Myungsoo's wedding so Howon can take over his place.

Myungsoo on the other hand, had been facing problems of his own too. One, his father's health was starting to decline everyday, which was why he picked out a wife for Myungsoo, so when he becomes king, his queen can share some of his burdens.

Another problem that was bothering Myungsoo was how everytime he spends time with Yurin, she was always in a daze. Whenever they see Howon taking a stroll around the garden, reading books on strategies about war and preparing for his succession, Yurin would always focus her attention on him, forgetting Myungsoo's prescence.

Now, he is starting to doubt Yurin's 'feelings' for him.

"Prince Myungsoo." Woohyun, Myungsoo's personal servant called. "Are you ready for your big day?" Woohyun was always another close friend of Myungsoo since their age was similar and he was always bright and optimistic.

"Yeah. Let's go."

"Is there something bothering you, your highness?"

Myungsoo shook his head. At the very moment Sungyeol, another servant came in. "Your highness, the Emperor awaits you and our future Queen." Sungyeol bowed.

Myungsoo sighed and made his way to the door. "Your highness?"

Myungsoo stopped in his tracks. "Yes?"

"Is there something wrong?"

"No. I'm fine. Don't worry."

"Are you nervous about the wedding? Or is it being scared of inheriting the throne?" Sungyeol asked.

"Or maybe he's just worried about tonight." Woohyun winked and nudged Sungyeol.

"No."

"Come on. You can tell us." Woohyun used his aegyo and whined.

"Use that aegyo one more time and I will have you beheaded." Myungsoo said with a straight face.

Woohyun gulped. "Okay. Okay. Just tell us man."

"It's about Yurin."

"What about her? You were so happy about the marriage. Don't tell me you don't love her anymore."

"What?!?! You know I loved her since we were babies."

"Then what?"

"I don't think she feels the same way about me. Do you think I should stop this wedding and let her have her happiness."

"No!" Both Woohyun and Sungyeol shouted.

"Why?"

"Because, the Emperor's health is declining. You will succeed the throne someday and you need a Queen."

"But- I hate to see how she is always looking at Howon that way and ignoring me. I feel as if I am nothing to her."

"Your highness, even though you don't have her heart, at least you have her physical self with you." Woohyun patted Myungsoo's back.

"And when you have her by your side, there is always a chance when she realizes how much you care for her an eventually fall for you." Sungyeol finshed Woohyun's words.

"I hope so."

After the conversation, the three made their way to the wedding.

------------

Yurin was looking at her reflection. She brushed her hair once more. With the help of her servant, Yoonjae, she fixed her makeup and wore her silky patterned dress.

"Master you look stunning." Yoonjae tried to brighten up the mood.

"Yeah."

"Master, are you sure about this?"

"Yeah."

"Master do you want me to tell Howon, Sir?"

"Whatever."

"Master, please don't be like this. You hadn't eaten or sleep much in days. You lost a lot of weight."

"Yeah."

"Master....."

"Yeah."

Before their conversation could continue any further a girl came in to tell Yurin to head towards the ceremony.

Yoonjae noticed how Yurin was not herself lately so she made an excuse to go find Howon.

----------------

The ceremony started as Yurin and Myungsoo performed the traditiona Korean rituals. (A/N: I'm not Korean so I don't know how their traditional ceremony is like, so this is based on a traditional Chinese wedding I saw in dramas.)

They bowed once at the altar, where the sickly Emperor was seated at this throne with his Queen and his many wives seated around him.

They turned around, facing the sky and gave another bow. They turned to face each other and bowed again. A servant came up with a tray filled with cups of tea. Yurin and Myungsoo each took a cup, walking up to the Emperor's throne, they handed him the cup of tea out of respect.

The Emperor smiled and happyily drank the tea. He was took happy to notice how the newly wedded couple did not look as lively.

Next, Yurin and Myungsoo handed the Queen her cup of tea. Empress Kim was always an observant and detailed person. She saw how both Myungsoo and Yurin looked as if their soul was out of their bodies.

She took a sip of her tea and smiled at the two. *There is something bothering my son and daughter in law.*

They stepped away from the throne and went over to Yurin's father.

They repeated the same routine. When the ceremony was complete, everyone cheered and clapped for the newly wedded couple.

Everyone proceeded to the dinning halls to have a big feast.

------------------

Meanwhile, Yoonjae searched everywhere for Howon. *I hope I'm not too late.*

Finally, Yoonjae spotted Howon sitting at a bench near a flowerbed. It was the flowerbed Yurin and him planted together.

Instead of crying, Howon treasured the memories and thought of their happy times.

"Howon Sir, " She started to pant.

Howon looked up and saw Yoonjae. "Shouldn't you be at the wedding with Yurin and Myungsoo?"

"Yurin, she loves you. Please, stop the wedding. She really loves you. She doesn't love Myungsoo. She couldn't sleep or eat for days because of you. I know you love her. " Yoonjae got on her knees. "Please? It's for her sake. Not because she is my Master, but as her best friend."

"Yoonjae....How can I? The ceremony has started. I can't be selfish like this."

"Yes you can! Come on if we hurry, we can make it." Without hesitation, Yoonjae grabbed Howon's hand and ran towards the ceremony.

-----------

When Yoonjae and Howon got to the ceremony, everyone was already cheering and heading to the dining hall.

It was too late. Everyone was now focused on Howon and Yoonjae, more specfically, why is the general's son holding hands with a lowly servant.

Yurin turned around and her face brightened at the sight of Howon. *Maybe he's here to save me.*

Yurin's happy face did not go unnoticed by Myungsoo. He felt his heart shatter into pieces. *So my theory was right. They love each other.*

"Son, why are you......"

Howon did not know how to explain. He looked at Yurin who was in the arms of Myungsoo. *It's not like it would make a difference.*

Without Yoonjae's permission, Howon hugged her shoulders tightly. Yoonjae, who was surprised by his actions tried to flinch back, but his iron grip on her was strong.

"Yoonjae and I decided to get married."