4

From the Past to the Present

'New Wife'

It was night time and Yurin and Myungsoo's wedding celebration can to a conclusion. Yurin was waiting patiently in their new room while Myungsoo bid his goodbyes to everyone that came.

In the quiet room, Yurin could not stop thinking about Howon and his announcement. *So he never loved me from the start. Yoonjae, the person I trust the most just stabbed me in the back. She knows I love Howon. How could she do this to me?* Her eyes turned watery as she sniffled.

*I hate my life. I have no freedom nor the choice to marry. What's the point in being the daughter of the most respected scholar.* Yurin wanted to cry so bad, but she knew Myungsoo would come in anytime. She did not want him to see her like this.

-------------

Myungsoo was a bit drunk when he came into the room. Yurin started to get nervous as to what would happen.

Myungsoo drank a lot during the celebration because he knew the real reason why Yurin was feeling down. When Howon made the announcement, he couldn't help but feel heartbroken. His theory was right.

The question is, will he still be able to win her heart? He did not know what to do. His head was filled with thoughts and 'ifs'.

Myungsoo stumbled towards his new bed with his wife sitting patiently waiting for him. Yurin gulped as she smelled the odor of alcohol coming from Myungsoo.

"Myungsoo-ah, why did you drink so much?" She tried to help him up, but his pinned her down on the bed.

"My wife.....My pretty beautiful wife. I can't believe you are mine." He smirked with lust filling in his eyes.

Yurin tried to pry his grip off her, but he was strong. "Myungsoo, please."

"Do you love me?" He asked with a sad face.

Yurin looked away. "You're drunk, Myungsoo."

"Am not. And I can prove to you." He crashed his lips on Yurin's and forced a kiss on her.

Yurin squeezed her eyes shut and she gripped the bed sheets tightly.

Myungsoo pushed himself up, panting. "Why are you not kissing me back?" He frowned.

Yurin remained quiet with tears welling up her eyes.

 Myungsoo noticed and caressed her cheek. "I'm sorry." He drunkly replied. There was a moment of awkward silence with Myungsoo still on top of Yurin. She wanted to get out of that position, but was not strong enough to push him away.

"Do you.....not love me?" Myungsoo asked quietly. Yurin looked away from his intense gaze.

He turned her head to face him. "You don't love me. Then do you love....."

Before Myungsoo could finish his question, the alcohol kicked in and he passed out on top of Yurin.

She pushed him off her and went to get a hot towel. She ringed out the water and placed it on top of Myungsoo's head. She made sure he was in a comfy position and pulled the blanket over him.

Yurin took a look at Myungsoo and softened. *I never noticed but who knew Myungsoo looked kind of cute. Im sorry for hurting you.*

She squeezed herself next to him on the bed and wrapped her arms around his waist.

Myungsoo woke up early in the morning with a huge hangover.  *Ugh! Why did I drink so much.*

He was about to get up when he felt a soft breath breathing on his neck and something hugging his waist.

He turned around to see Yurin sleeping soundlessly next to him and blushed. He stared at her sleeping figure and smiled. Oh, how he wished they could stay this close together like this.

After a while, Myungsoo remembered what happened last night and face palmed himself. *Why was I like that to her? She probably hates me even more for taking that kiss.*

Yurin stirred a bit in her sleep and hugged Myungsoo's waist tighter. "Howon don't leave me." She mumbled.

Myungsoo frowned in jealousy and got up immediately, making Yurin's head fall, waking her up. She looked around and saw Myungsoo changing out of his wedding clothing.

She let out a scream and covered her eyes. "Myungsoo, why are you half in front of me? Change somewhere else!!!"

He walked towards Yurin and smirked. "We're married, remember?"

She blushed and swallowed a lump. "B-But still. I'm not emotionally ready yet. At least give me a warning." She looked away.

Myungsoo felt his heart slump to the bottom of the ocean. *She really loves him. Is this marriage a mistake?*

------------

A couple months passed and Myungsoo and Yurin grew distant from each other. Myungsoo even suggest they sleep separately in secret.

It hurts him so much to see how they barely even talk. The were childhood friends for god's sake and they use to be close until they got married.

What hurt him even more was every time he saw Yurin with Howon, it just broke his heart how he saw the love in their eyes for each other.

Yurin on the other hand was devastated. Everyday, she saw servants holding decorations and running around to prepare for Howon and Yoonjae's wedding.

She hated Yoonjae now for stabbing her back and somehow, she can never bring herself to stop loving Howon.

It was a week before the wedding and Yurin was feeling uneasy at the fact that her first love is marrying her best friend.

That day, the sick Emperor called Yurin and Myungsoo to  his room.

Yurin and Myungsoo had been pretending to be a loving couple in their honeymoon stage, by displaying some skinship whenever people are around. But when they were alone, they mind their own buisness.

A servant helped the sick Emperor into his seat. Yurin and Myungsoo stood up and bowed.

"Myungsoo-ah, " the Emperor looked at his son. "Your father's time is almost up."

"Father, don't say that."

"Oh son. Trust me. Your father knows himself well and my health is not at its best state nor is it getting any better. Before I leave, I want to see my grandchild."

"Father, you already have a grandchild. Sunggyu hyung's one year old son."

"Don't remind me of him. Sunggyu cannot be related to me nor his son. The day he chose to defy me and marry that low class servant is the day, I disowned him."

Yurin felt tension in the air and sat there awkwardly.

"Let's not talk about him. How's the reproduction progress going?"

Myungsoo and Yurin choked on their spit and blushed out of embarassment.

"F-Father, that's not something we talk about causally." Myungsoo stuttered.

The Emperor sighed. "I really did not want to result to this but, I really want to see my grandchild before I die so.....Myungsoo-ah, I have a new marriage arranged for you."

Myungsoo's eyes widen as he looked at Yurin for a response. Her face looked blank like it usually does.

"B-But I just got married."

"Yurin-ah, I hope this is okay with you." The Emperor asked her, ignoring Myungsoo's rebellion.

Yurin snapped out of her daze and nodded her head. "No problem."

*It's not going to make a difference anyway.*