Chapter 3

Raison D'être
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  "W-we have a concert tomorrow," Leeteuk said shakily. His hand was clasped together tightly as he awaited the doctor's response. It was the first time seeing Leeteuk-hyung this flustered.

  "Can he-" Leeteuk trailed off.

  "I'm sorry. He is hardly able to play in that condition." The doctor shook his head firmly.

  My mouth was agape as I struggled to find words to make sense of the situation.

  "When can he play again?" 

  "Around three months later? A few weeks at most- if you are lucky." The Doctor spoke softly.

  "N-no, a few weeks- a few weeks is still too long. You've got to give me anything. P-Painkillers. An-Antibiotics." I stammered. "Please."

  The doctor shook his head.

  "H-hyung," I turned to Leeteuk, panicky. "Hyung, please do something."

  "Soundtrack," Leeteuk muttered. "We can play the soundtrack."

  I shook my head. No. "You can't. Please don't."

  "I'm not the one making the final decision," he got up shakily and left the office.

  "Hyung!" I called after him. "HYUNG!"

-----------------
  In the end, the management went with the soundtrack idea. "We'll just place a muted microphone on your violin."

  I nodded wordlessly. What else could I have done? I have always relied on my skills with the violin to win the crowd over.

  Even if I couldn't be the best dancer or best singer or the most outstanding actor in the group, at least I had the violin defining my existence. Without my violin, everything will collapse. My confidence have already crumbled, my mindset next.

  I couldn't sleep that night.

  Or the nights thereafter. The doctor said that it was a effect of the syndrome.

  My shoulder would always be hit with a burning intensity every time I rest upon it. And my neck- I couldn't move my neck the slightest without pain shooting up my veins. Worst of all, my fingers would shake uncontrollably whenever I tried to use them.

  I had to perform in Don't Don regardless, with a soundtrack playing in stead of my live performance. It felt terrible. It was as if I were lying to my fans. I couldn't describe the immense guilt and shame I had to deal with. My inability to play the violin, l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter