The Rival

The Basketball Player and the Fashionista

“So I heard you and Seunghyun are going out” Kiko said standing next to Jiyong’s locker while he took out his books. They had the next class together. “And here I thought he was dating Bom.”

“Who is Bom” Jiyong asked closing his locker.

“You know the cheerleader captain” Kiko said. They arrived five minutes early to their math class so decided to seat in the back to talk some more.

“I have seen them talk before, but Seunghyun has never mentioned her. I don’t think they ever went out” Jiyong said nonchalantly trying to hide his insecurities. Bom is a very beautiful girl. She has long legs, pale skin, and beautiful long black hair. Every boy’s dream girl. Truth be told, her and Seunghyun look like the perfect couple.

“I see, well who cares. What matters now is where he is taking you for your first date” Kiko said excitingly missing the worried look Jiyong had before.

“Oh” Jiyong was surprised by the change in topic. In reality, he and Seunghyun have not talked about their first date.  It’s basketball season so Seunghyun has been practicing every day and Jiyong does not want to bother him. They text each other but it is not the same. “We don’t have any plans yet. We are both busy with school and activities.” Jiyong sighed.

“Well there is a basketball game tomorrow. We should go watch him play” Kiko said. Something was up, tomorrow is their club day and although Kiko loved him and supported him, she never missed club activities. Once she had a high fever and she still showed up afterschool for fashion club.

“Okay what is going on” Jiyong asked eyeing Kiko suspiciously.

“Nothing” she said too fast to be normal.

“Bu---“

“Everyone be quiet class is starting” the math teacher said walking into the room. Kiko seemed relieved. Jiyong decides to ask her about it later. The class was boring and as soon as it was done Kiko ran out of the classroom yelling “See you tomorrow at the game”. Very suspicious.

He did not see Kiko for the rest of the day, which is normal as he only has her for one class and they have different lunches, which is the same reason why he does not see Seunghyun all day. Having second lunch .

The next day was uneventful, he did not have math today so he did not see Kiko all day. Classes seemed to go slower probably because he was so excited to see Seunghyun play. He did not tell Seunghyun that he was going. He wanted it to be a surprise. The day finally ended. Kiko texted him to meet her at the gym entrance.

“Are you ready for the game” Kiko said as they entered the gym together. She is wearing a pretty floral dress and her dark brown short hair is curled. She looks very pretty which is normal. “How do I look” she asked and that is not normal. She never asks him that because even though they might love fashion they have different tastes and always end up arguing.

“Okay first of, I am so ready and second you look very pretty like always” Jiyong said looking at Kiko suspiciously. They decided to sit half way up. Not too far to make it hard to leave later and not too close that Seunghyun will spot them right away. Today, Jiyong is wearing the skinny jeans that Kiko says make his look amazing and a simple white top with a blue pocket.

“You know you been acting very strange” Jiyong said. The players are still in the locker room, but their bear mascot is already warming up the crowd. They are playing against the gladiators their biggest rivals so the gym is full. Half the gym was set aside for the rival team. The principal did not want any fight breaking out after the game.

“Let’s stop talking about me, we are here for you. I mean you started dating Seunghyun on Wednesday and did not even tell me anything” Kiko said. “I found about it when I arrived to school yesterday. I was a whole day late. And do you know who told me” Kiko said looking straight the Jiyong. “Mindy told me.”

Oh Jiyong thought. “Come on Kiko I already said I was sorry, but I had no time to tell you” Jiyong tried to explain. “After our epic love confession in the nurse’s office we skipped basketball tryouts and went to eat at McDonalds. We talked about random stuff and then he took me back home in his truck. He gave me a good night kiss and I passed out in bed” Jiyong could feel his cheeks getting red from remembering what happened. “Wish I had gotten hit by the ball before drills” Jiyong said trying to lighten the mood.

“Alright I forgive you but you have to tell me everything that happens between you and Seunghyun from now on” Kiko said expecting Jiyong to argue.

“I promise” Jiyong replied with a smile.

“Well that was easier than I thought”

“Kiko you are my best friend of course I will tell you everything” Jiyong said hugging Kiko tightly.

“Okay okay I get it. Now let go off me, you know I don’t like mushy stuff” Kiko said trying to push Jiyong away. This only made Jiyong hug her tighter.

“You love it, don’t lie” Jiyong said giving her a big kiss on the cheek. Kiko laughed and continued to push him off.

“Stop lover boy, your boyfriend might get jealous” Kiko said pointing at Seunghyun as he made his way into the gym with the rest of the team. The cheerleaders came after them.  Jiyong spotted Bom at the end. Her hair was in a high pony tail and she was wearing a red and white cheerleading uniform that complimented her pale skin. Jiyong’s chest felt heavy for some reason.

After some warm ups, the whistle blew and the game started.  Seunghyun and Taeyang were on fire. Every time Seunghyun made a shot the crowd went crazy.

“Your boyfriend is pretty good” Kiko said.

“Of course” Jiyong said with a smile. Kiko only rolled her eyes.

Before they knew it it has half time and their team was ahead by six points. When Jiyong turned to ask Kiko if she wanted a snack he noticed that she was staring at number 26 with a small smile. When she noticed Jiyong looking at her she quickly sat up straight but that did not stop her blush from appearing. Jiyong only smirked, he opened his mouth to say something.

“If you are my so called best friend, you will not say anything” Kiko said looking to the side not able to meet his eyes.

“My mouth is sealed” Jiyong said zipping his lips and throwing away the key. The cheerleaders came out to perform. Bom was perfect in her routine that is why she was the captain after all.

The game started again and the rival team was able to catch up. There was three minutes left of the game and the two teams were tied. Kiko and Jiyong were on their feet. Seunghyun had the ball, he passed it to Mino who then passed it to Taeyang. None of the players were open for the pass and Taeyang was too far from the basket. Seunghyun then faked right. Taeyang saw the opening he passed the ball to Seunghyun and Seunghyun with 10 seconds on the clock shot the ball. Right as the buzzer went off the ball went into the basket and the crowd went crazy. Their team had won!

“He did it” Jiyong yelled hugging Kiko while jumping. All the players and cheerleaders went onto the court. They jumped on Taeyang and Seunghyun. Everyone was going crazy. Jiyong then saw Bom pushing through the crowd trying to get closer to Seunghyun. When he reach him she tapped him on the back and when Seunghyun turned around she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him.

Kiko gasped besides him. Jiyong was in shocked it felt as the whole world stopped. He could not hear the shouts or see the people around him. All he saw has Bom with her hands wrapped around Seunghyun. His eyes started to burn he could not breath. He ran down the bleacher Kiko right behind him trying to stop him but he did not hear her. He ran out the gym. If Seunghyun wanted to be with Bom then so be it. He knew Seunghyun wanting to be with him was too good to be true. He was a fool to believe Seunghyun loved him.