Without You

Without You

 

Kevin sat on the window sill looking out towards the park across the street. He reminisced the times he had spent with you there. Suddenly distracted by the sound of his phone ringing, he jumped up to see who it was. Seeing that it was just Eli the excitement dissipated, he reluctantly answered the phone. “Hello,” he answered in a slightly annoyed tone.

 

“Hey, are you being depressing today or do you want to hang out?” Eli asked, truly concerned about Kevin's well being despite how harsh his words may have sounded.

 

“I'm never depressing,” Kevin said defensively, forcing out a laugh. “But I can't hang out, I'm busy.” He lied in order to spend the day by himself. He didn't know if he could handle the possibility of seeing happy couples on the streets, it only reminded him of what he used to have.

 

“Okay, I just thought you might want to have fun hanging out with guys for a while. It might be a better atmosphere for you.” Eli said, implying that the offer was still open.

 

“Thanks, but maybe another time.” Kevin's response was forced. He wanted Eli to think that he was alright and that he wasn't still thinking about you.

 

Eli paused on the other line for a moment. “Okay another time then.” Kevin hung up the phone after saying a muttered farewell.

 

Kevin slowly returned to his place at the window and looked back down at the park. When he saw a young woman standing anxiously just outside of the park, he moved closer to the window to try and see her face but the distance made it hard for him to see clearly. He watched the girl take a couple of steps around the entrance to the park. Taking the opportunity he grabbed his jacket and ran out the door and down the stairs to the outside. Looking around for a few seconds he found the girl still standing around the same area as she had been in before. Approaching her cautiously, Kevin stepped closer to her and asked. “Are you looking for someone?”

 

Turning slowly to face the voice that she heard she began to say, “Yeah, I thought-” But she stopped mid-sentence a look of pure shock on her face as she stared at the man in front of her.

 

“____?” Kevin jumped back in surprise. He had not actually expected it to be you but was happy that it was. His heart started to race a little faster than normal, but he didn't seem to notice.

 

“Kevin, I was hoping that I'd find you here,” you said a smile sliding onto your face. Kevin thought it would be glorious to see your cute eye smile again, but he only felt sadness.

 

“Wh- what for?” he stuttered not sure how to keep his composure. It had always been hard for him to keep calm around you to begin with. Being away from you for so long only made it harder.

 

“I thought that we needed to talk. I- I didn't want you to be,” you paused for a moment as if you were trying to think of the right word. “I didn't want you to be stuck.” You finished with an awkward smile. You cautiously put your hand on his arm and continued to smile at him.

 

Kevin looked down at your hand then back to your face and gave you a small smile. “I'm not stuck, I'm just not liking my life without you.” The smile on his face dropped and he looked sadly into your eyes.

 

You looked surprised by Kevin's words and looked away from his gaze, focusing on a bird flying from one branch to another. Kevin took your hands in his, startling you.

 

“Kevin,” you said weakly, your eyes leaving the bird to stare at your shoes. “Please, don't,” you whispered quietly, tears springing to your eyes. They slowly fell down your cheeks, the only sign that you were sad about what had happened. That you regretted what had happened between the two of you.  And that you were mistaken in coming to see him.

 

Kevin placed his hand gently beneath your chin and raised your head up so that you had to look at him. You couldn’t meet his eyes though and instead, settled on staring at his chin. He cupped your cheeks with his hands and using his thumbs, Kevin wiped away your tears, a faint smile on his lips.

 

“Don't what?” he asked, his voice cracking slightly as he kept back his own tears and forced his smile to remain intact. “Tell you that I still love you? That I hate being away from you? That I hope we can fix this?” His hands fell away from your face and he wiped at his own tears with the back of his hand. “What is it that you don't want me to do or say?”

 

You gulped back a sob and finally met his gaze. You nearly completely broke down at the sight of the tears that swam in his eyes, ready to stain his cheeks. You really did feel awful at that moment and wished you could take everything back. The fact that Kevin seemed to be willing to give you a second chance hurt your heart because you didn't think you deserved it.

 

You had thought that an encounter with him would be different. You had not expected tears. You had thought that he had moved on. If he had moved on you knew you could have too. But he hadn't and you hadn't, and now you knew you couldn't. Not yet at least.

 

“F-forget about me,” you managed to say, taking a step back from Kevin, wanting to just runaway. But something kept you from running. “Please, be happy and move on.”

 

“___, that's not what I want,” Kevin said, closing the distance between you. He brushed your hair out of your face with his long, graceful fingers. The action made your heart race. As he took a step towards you, you finally found you were able to run. You quickly turned around and ran away from him, tears blinded your sight.

 

You didn't get very far. A pair of arms wrapped around you from behind, halting you and pulling you towards a warm body. Kevin kept you in place as he spoke once more.

 

“Why are you doing this to me?” he whispered, his lips brushing against your ear.

 

“I don't want to hurt you anymore,” you replied honestly.

 

“I hurt the most when you're not here with me,” he said earnestly, “so, you leaving me isn't going to help me.” You could feel his tears on your skin as his face brushed against yours. You could feel more of your own tears run down the curves of your cheeks. His grip tightened as he buried his face into the angle of your neck and shoulder.

 

“Kevin,” you whispered his name, not knowing how to respond. You regretted coming to see him, you also wanted only to curl up in his arms once again but couldn't bare the pain you might cause him. “I cant-” you started but were cut off by his voice in your ear.

 

“You don't have to say anything or explain yourself,” Kevin whispered, softly kissing your neck.  "The past doesn't matter.  It's only now." You could feel his hot breath on your skin. You missed the days you had spent together. Your eyes slowly closed as he worked his way up to your ear lobe. “It's cold,” he stated loosening his grip on you. His hand sliding down your arm to hold you hand. “Can't we go inside?” He asked in a soft voice.

 

Not quite in control of yourself, you nodded and let him lead you across the street and into a building. You recognized it as the building he lived in and knew where you were going; into his apartment. You didn't think that you should go any farther, especially step foot into the apartment but you continued to follow anyways. Not yet ready to leave him again. You hated the conflicting feelings inside you.

 

Once inside, he led you straight to the couch where he sat down. You sat next to him, liking the warmth between the two of you. He wrapped his arm around your shoulders. “Do you remember when we used to sit here and drink hot chocolate?” he asked looking down into your eyes, you looked back up into his and gave a slight smile.

 

“Of course,” you replied glancing at his lips. You leaned forward hesitantly, wanting to press your lips against his but knew you shouldn't. He leaned close to you, closing the space between the two of you, his lips touched yours softly.

 

“I thought you didn't want to hurt me anymore?” he whispered against your lips.

 

“I really don't want to,” you replied hastily.

 

You felt bad about the decision you made following him to this spot and you knew it was too late to turn back. You couldn't stop yourself; you had to be with him, life without him just wasn't the same. Moving on no longer seemed like an option as you pressed your lips harder against his and wrapped your arms around his neck. The emptiness inside you gone. You felt like the luckiest girl in the world to know that Kevin wanted to be with you just as badly as you wanted to be with him.

 

“Don't leave me ever again,” Kevin said softly, breaking the kiss. He rested his forehead against yours and linked his slender fingers with yours. “Please.” His voice was pleading with you.

 

“I won't,” you managed to say, hoping that you'd stay true to your word.

 

XXX

A/N: Yeah, niether of us could figure out how to end it, so that's all ^_^  Thanks for reading, leave a comment if you want and bye :)