Ohno loves Sho

Bad Love Scenario

***Ohno's POV

 

Auditorium. It really is my favorite place in this school. I wasn’t lying to Nino that I do find the view amazing. I didn’t give him the full information though.

 

The reason why I love this place so much is because this is the place where I laid my eyes for the very first time on Sakurai Sho.

 

It was 1 year ago, when we were the freshmen in this high school. I dragged myself to go to school on the first day, I had no intention to continue my study at all. As long as I still have my talent to rely on, I don’t need to study some boring stuff in school.

 

I’m said to be a prodigy artist by the media, though I don’t really understand what they really mean by that. I never intended to make myself famous, but fortunately (or rather unfortunately), I was scouted by a curator when I was painting on the beach few years ago. After that, I was dragged here and there by that curator who assigned himself into being my manager. He’s a nice man actually, but sometimes I wonder if my life would be better if we hadn’t met that day.

 

Andy Warhol, an American artist who’s well known for his Pop Art movement, said that he did art because he was ugly and there was nothing else for him to do. As for me, I do art because I enjoy doing it. I love the freedom art offers me, and I gladly pour my soul into it because I know that’s what I’m destined to do.

 

But I once questioned the purpose of all the works I had done so far for gaining all the fame. I felt that I became insincere with my feeling. I let others dictate me by receiving some requests and orders, and me being judged by the critics.

 

That was what I constantly feel until I heard the speech Sakurai Sho gave when he won the National High School Science Championship in this very room.

 

“I've come to believe in doing things for my own sake
Everyone who piles up their dreams, for their sake
Words of gratitude for my family
“I believe" simply to the limit of my strength 
Even this impatience will someday become nourishment for me
This pain too
Without losing to the rain or the wind, or that pain or impatience
For the sake of this day
I'll hold on to your share of your feelings too
Like I'm climbing stairs, I'm heading for the top
It's painful and difficult, but I endure it
Drawing the figure of myself that is basking in cheers”1

 

It wasn’t in the part of his speech actually, but it was his own rap he performed as an ice breaker after the vice principal gave his burdening speech of how we should look upon other brilliant students like Sakurai Sho. Other students saw that as a joke, but I took those words seriously. With that in mind, I was able to finally convey my feelings to my family and my manager about my works. Thankfully they understood and let me decide whether I would continue my career or not. I’ve come to a decision to keep my career, but I only want to work when I feel like to and I will not receive any kind of requests anymore.

 

I observe the auditorium, taking all the details. I close my eyes and I feel a good vibe about it. I decide to go with my feeling and start drawing the room in my sketchbook.

 

I lost track on time, until I finally finish my drawing and feel satisfied by it. I drew the auditorium stage from my perspective, and I let the center empty. At first I intended to draw Sakurai Sho standing on the speech podium, but I don’t think that it the drawing would look real.

 

Feeling the sudden urge to empty my bladder, I finally get out from the room and run to the toilet.

 

As I wash my hands on the sink, I see the image I’ve been picturing in my mind all this time. Sakurai Sho rolls in to the toilet.

 

“Oh. Hi, Ohno-kun!” he greets as he sees me.

 

An idea comes to my mind, like a lightning strike. “Do you mind?” I ask.

 

He gives me questioning look. “Huh?”

 

“Do a favor for me?”

 

“How can I help you?”

 

I took his hand and drag him to the sink. “Put your hands on the sink.”

 

He looks so confused. “Err, Ohno-kun?”

 

I position his hands. “Lean on the sink, with half your arms touching it.”

 

“Ano… What am I doing exactly?”

 

“Bend your back a little. Keep leaning to the sink, and tilt your head a little to the right.” I order him.

 

He complies. “Ano…”

 

“Keep your eyes fixed to the front. Like that, yes!” I nod as he does the things I requested perfectly. “Now hold your position like that for a while, ne.”

 

I draw him in the picture of the auditorium stage I drew earlier. With that pose, a little imagination, and a help of his reflection on the mirror, I’m able to draw him standing on the speech podium.

 

Finally the picture is complete. I look at my work with pride, and I believe that this is the most satisfying work I’ve ever done these past months. All thanks to Sakurai Sho.

 

“Ohno-kun… I’m really sorry, but I reeeeaaallly need to do my business here…” he says as he hops from one foot to another, with a great pinched expression on his face.

 

Ah, I forgot I made him do the modelling forcibly.

 

He looks at me with cute pleading eyes. “Please?”

 

“Thank you so much for your help.” I approach him and I hug him impulsively. “Take this as my gratitude and apology.” I hand him the Rainbow coffee Nino gave me earlier. “I look forward to working with you next time, ne…”

 

Who knew skipping class could lead to a fortunate event like that? I hum as I walk back to the class.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translations Note:

  1. Sho’s rap from Kaze no Mukou e :DDD. Credits to Yarukizero http://yarukizero.livejournal.com/60825.html