Nino loves Ohno

Bad Love Scenario

***Nino's POV

 

I hesitate. Should I approach him, or should I leave. If I approach him, he’ll know that I’m following him. I didn’t mean to do so at the first place, but when I walked out of the nurse room, I saw him wandered absentmindedly with his sketchbook in his hand. I did call him but he didn’t respond me. I thought he was sleepwalking, so I followed him and I was led to this place: the auditorium. Well, even if he leads me to a lion cage, it’s 10 times better than being trapped in a room with Matsumoto Jun.

 

He enters the room, and I wait outside. Maybe he’ll realize that he made a mistake for getting in there, I thought.

 

5 minutes later, he’s still inside.

 

And then 10 minutes gone by, my curiosity wins, and I finally step in to the auditorium.

 

I see him standing in the middle row, still clutching onto his sketch book, staring vacantly at the empty stage. His hunched back looks even lonelier than ever, making me want to hold him more.

 

“Hey old man, are you awake?” I pat his shoulder to surprise him.

 

He looks bewildered, and smiles sleepily at me. “Hey Nino.”

 

I stand a little too close to him. “What are you doing in a place like this at this time, Oh-chan?” I ask. It’s a wonder for him to be in this auditorium, alone. Unless he’s lost and he couldn’t find his way back to the class. “Are you skipping class?”

 

He smiles shyly. “It’s history class now. I don’t think I can survive being in that class for more than 5 minutes.” He chuckles.

 

“You, Ohno Satoshi, really are an ojiichan in disguise! Can you try not to sleep during the lecture even just for 5 minutes?” I laughed, and he follows. “But seriously, what are you doing here?”

 

He shakes his head. “I don’t know. I just find this room amazing.”

 

I look around the auditorium and laugh. It seriously is just a simple auditorium with a stage and raised seating platforms. The seats, walls, and the curtains have a matching deep red color. The seats are incredibly comfortable though. There’s a super huge yet beautiful chandelier on the ceiling, other than that this auditorium doesn’t look so special compared with others.

 

“What’s so amazing, Oh-chan?”

 

“The view is.” He answers simply, and smiles dreamily.

 

“Seriously, I have no idea how a genius’s mind works, urgh!” I say as I rub my temple.

 

He looks confused and scrunch his nose. “I have no idea either.” He says with a puzzled look.

 

I burst in laughter. This Ojiisan is dangerously charming in his own way. He’s just too cute. “I was talking about you, old man!”

 

“Me?” he points his nose with his right forefinger. “I almost fail in all subjects, you know.” He laughs.

 

I can’t help but laughing so hard at his cluelessness.

 

“By the way, I saw your video clip yesterday.” He says.

 

“Yesterday? The teaser was just released this morning, old man!” I laugh. This Ojiisan has no sense of time at all!

 

“Oh really? I thought it was yesterday.” He laughs. “You made the lyrics and the compositions yourself, right?”

 

“Yes I did.” I nod happily.

 

“It’s a very nice song. It also being played on every radio channel now, ne. Niji ga kirei da yo…”1 He hums. And it brings back the memory of our first encounter.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I was on my way home right after school as over. It was raining and I was soaking wet even though I was using my umbrella. Not far from the school, I saw a boy who wore the same school uniform as me, standing alone under the rain in the middle of the yard. From the back he was looking so lonely. His back was hunched and looked so fragile. He was staring at the sky with both of his hands tucked in his pockets.

 

Seeing it, made me feel the urge to protect him. I just couldn’t leave him alone like that.

 

“What are you doing?” I Asked.

 

“I wanna wash away all the dark thoughts in my mind.” He remained in his position.

 

“Rather than that, you’d be washing your life away without knowing it. It’s freaking cold right now, you’ll be sick!”

 

He took a peek at me. “You’re no better than me.” He pointed out.

 

“Well, then I’ll be sick too.”

 

He chuckled. “Idiots don’t catch cold. You shouldn’t worry, ne.”

 

“Did you just call me idiot?”

 

“Yes. You’re an idiot for being here with me.”

 

We stayed standing in the rain without saying any words to each other. I kept my eyes glued on his figure, and he kept his eyes to the dark sky. It was freezing cold, and just when I thought I couldn’t endure it anymore, the rain finally stopped. Like a magic, the sky cleared up soon after.

 

“Wanna see something cool?” he asked.

 

“What is it?”

 

“There, can you see it?” He pointed at the sky. “The rainbow’s beautiful, ne…”

 

He turned around to look at me and smiled.

 

And I was drowned in those dreamy eyes.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I feel the blood rush into my cheeks and ears. “Iya omae no hou ga…”2 I utter those words unconsciously.

 

“Hmm?” he tilts his head in confusion.

 

“Ah, it’s nothing!” I shake my head furiously. “I should go back to the class now. Bye, Oh-chan!” I splutter as I rush away. I’m saved by the class change bell!

 

“Bye, Nino. Please give me a copy of your album when it’s released, okay?” He waves his hand at me.

 

I turn around. “Until then you can have this ‘Niji’3 instead!” I toss the canned coffee which Matsumoto Jun brought for me. “That Rainbow Coffee can help you to stay awake in class for sure!” I salute him and hurriedly leave the auditorium.

 

Man, that was dangerous!

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Translations Note:

  1. “Niji ga kirei da yo” means “The rainbow is beautiful.”
  2. “Iya, omae no hou ga” means “No, but you’re the one who is beautiful.”
  3. Niji means rainbow.