Prologue

Miracle - An Eternal Chase

Billions of years ago, when no other life had spawned on land, the Infinites had cracked the code to immortal life – using their own advanced technology that can only be dreamed of in the present day, the Infinites a chemical that would cause the tail of telomerase to regenerate indefinitely, thus ending the aging and death process. However the chemical takes effect only when the age of the cells has reached a certain number years, on average, 25 years; thus the Infinites grow to a certain age before becoming locked in immortality.

 

Virtually indestructible and immensely powerful, the Infinites had the potential to rule the earth forever. However, they had one vital weakness – once blinded, even in one eye, they couldn’t survive past three days. The life force of the Infinites resided within their irises, the only part of their body that aged – their Achilles’ heel.

 

It wasn’t easy to blind an Infinite; no physical harm had any effect on them. The only known way an Infinite could be blinded was by a poison, the lone available source of which was the tears, blood and saliva of another of the ancient earth-dwellers, the Miracles.

 

The Miracles, although not as ancient or powerful as the Infinites, were understandably, their enemies. More humanlike, both in appearance and mental and physical capacities, the Miracles felt threatened by the existence of the Infinites and engaged in a vicious war with them, which was mostly fought one-sided.

 

Not much of a match for the Infinites, who were close to a staggering victory, the Miracles were hopeless until a Miracle scientist discovered the weakness of the Infinites and prepared a vile preparation containing his blood. Even though it seemed like it would be the end of the Infinites, they by no means surrendered and in one last desperate attempt to win, they gave their all, setting of their most powerful weapon which had never been tested before and was thought to hold enough atomic power to destroy the world. A huge explosion ensued, but it was not as destructive as it had been thought to be.

 

Majority of the Miracles had been killed in the explosion, and the remaining of the population had their memory distorted, whereby they forgot about the Infinites and the Great War. With the loss of the ability to use their power and superior mental capacities, they were no different from humans, a new species, crude and apelike, which was on the rise at the time of the Great War. The Miracles blended right in with the new human species, believing themselves to be a part of it, eventually all traces of their past forgotten.

 

Even though the explosion was catastrophic, about a hundred Infinites survived. They were all badly injured and their powers suffered as well. Realizing that they would be at a huge disadvantage if they faced the Miracles in a battle now, they split into clans and spread all over the world and went into hiding.

 

They needed almost a hundred thousand years to recuperate from their injuries. By the time they reverted back to their original forms, the human species had taken over the world.

 

The Infinites had no score to solve with the humans, so they didn’t go into any direct confrontation with them. Over time, they evolved to resemble humans, at least outwardly, so it was easier for them to come out into the public without any disguise.

 

It took them time to find out what had happened to the Miracles. They hadn’t forgotten the Great War or its consequences so they were determined to avenge their race by killing every last Miracle on earth. That however proved to be a difficult job since it was difficult to tell the Miracles apart from humans anymore. They had agreed not to hurt humans since they were in no way responsible for the Infinites’ defeat but that just made their job difficult since it was almost impossible to recognize Miracles from humans from a distance or even from close by.

 

Originally, Infinites could sense Miracles since they had a distinct life force within them but since they had forgotten their identity, they had lost a major portion of the manna that made them Miracles.

 

The only way for an Infinite to identify a Miracle with certainty was by checking if their saliva or blood or tears had any effect on themselves. But that also meant they would have to sacrifice themselves in the process.

 

At first, even though it was the only way, it seemed like an unreasonable path to take since they were grossly outnumbered by the Miracles who had been breeding for about 2 million years whereas the original number of Infinite survivors hadn’t changed. Being superbly intelligent, they had researched painstakingly and after a sacrifice of three Infinites and 6000 years, they were able to come up with an antidote to the Miracles’ poison.

 

It wasn’t a perfect antidote and if not taken at exactly the right time and by the right amount, it was no use. But it was an antidote nevertheless and the news of it had been delivered to the Infinites all around the world. After they had all procured it in sufficient amounts, the Hunt begun. It was challenging, but slowly and strategically, they began to finally get rid of their mortal enemies.

 

Since then, they had gotten rid of almost three million Miracles, losing five more Infinites in the process. That didn’t stop them; instead, it fueled their passionate rage against the Miracles and driven them to find more and more of their enemies hidden among the billions of human beings.