Chapter One

I'll Listen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~I~

 

 

Bae Joohyun heaved a sigh as she ruffled her long chocolate brown hair. She never knew waiting for coffee took so long as she checked her wristwatch as frequently as possible to make sure that she’ll still make it for the bus. It has always been a regret of hers to stay out late at the karaoke but even so, she has never been able to reject an offer yet. All she could do was hope that no one would call go her out today. A faint smile flashed onto her face as she stepped to towards the cashier, “I’d like to have an Americano thanks.”

 

The cashier smiled back with a nod as she typed away on the monitor, “That’d be 3000 won.”

 

Joohyun nodded and swung her backpack over to the front to get her wallet. She froze as she felt nothing but her pencil case and her notebooks for school, “Sorry wait a minute please” she excused herself politely as she continued to rummage through her canvas backpack. Instantly her mind went into a state of panic as she began to realize that she might have forgotten her wallet. She bit her lower lip in frustration as she cursed herself for staying out so late again.

 

“Use this.”

 

A gentle voice oozed through from behind and an extending arm caught Joohyun’s attention as she looked up from her backpack, and turned around to see whom it was that was offering to pay for her coffee. Immediately she could recognize the stranger’s uniform, “Oh it’s fine. I can just cancel the order.”

 

The schoolmate smiled, “I reckon you need the coffee a lot more than you think.”

 

Now that she’s gotten a better look, the stranger was actually quite an eye catcher. She probably looked longer than would normally be deemed appropriate but something about this stranger made her stop in her tracks. The girl looked so familiar. She continued to eye the girl as she finished the transaction with the cashier and watched as the latter turned around. The two finally faced each other properly.

 

“Your receipt” the girl said as she handed it over.

 

Joohyun snapped out of her thoughts, “Ah thanks.” The girl leaned in as Joohyun took a timid step back from the sudden proximity and looked away from the other’s face. She caught a glimpse of the student’s nametag, which was neatly attached onto the left chest area of their grey blazer. Son Seungwan.

 

“Wow, you have pretty intense eye bags” Seungwan said before she stood up straight again, “What did you do last night? Study?”

 

“Number eighty-one!” a barista called from the counter.

 

Joohyun took this chance and hurried away, “That’s me.” The man handed her the Americano as she gave a little bow as thanks. She needed to get herself away from this so-called Son Seungwan girl. The reasons were unclear to her but oddly enough, her brain doesn’t function as efficiently as she’d like it to within Seungwan’s presence. Quickly, she turned around hoping to scurry away only to be blocked by the very person she wanted to escape from.

 

“Are you in a hurry?” Seungwan glanced down to the nametag, “Bae Joohyun-sshi.”

 

It was that moment Joohyun’s brain completely malfunctioned. How can her name sound so nice from the girl’s mouth? It’ll be something she’ll probably never be able to figure out. She just met the person and she’s already a mess around her. “Uh… I have school so,” Joohyun whispered as she avoided eye contact.

 

Seungwan pressed her lips together, “We go to the same school it seems.”

 

“Yeah…” Joohyun nodded, “I’ve never seen you around though.”

 

“I’m a transfer student. Today’s my first day” Seungwan informed as she bent over to try and get a glimpse of the shy girl who had her head hung low, avoiding eye contact. “Care to show me the way?” she frowned as Joohyun turned away from ever so quickly, it made her wonder if the girl disliked her already.

 

“Uh… sure” Joohyun replied and scurried off as she had originally planned only with Seungwan tagging behind, which was never a part of her escape plan.

 

Seungwan watched as Joohyun hurried off. She tilted her head to the side, “Did I give her a bad first impression?” she asked the barista who was still at the counter. The only thing she received from the young man was a shrug. Seungwan nodded at the simple response before deciding to follow the girl from a comfortable distance.

 

 

~

 

 

“Unnie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter