[Final]

Everyone Says No, Eventually

Everyone Says No, Eventually

 

Luhan walks, well – more like skips, into the coffee shop at two in the afternoon to order something delightfully caffeinated, even if it isn’t necessary. It is a gloomy day outside by most people’s standards. It is spring, and the weather won’t quite make up its mind on how it will behave. Some days the weather decides to be sunny and warm, giving hints about the upcoming summer. Other days it rains or is frightfully chilly and foggy, as though the last of winter hasn't quite retreated. Today the weather is chilly and overcast, although somehow still bright and not so gloomy as to damper Luhan’s mood.

In fact, Luhan loves the spring as much as he does autumn. The two seasons keep people on their toes. The weather changes constantly and boasts its neighboring seasons while still very much being it’s own season. Luhan rather likes things like that. So much so, in fact, that upon arriving in the familiar coffee shop he decides that today would not be the day to place his same drink order. No, today Luhan may try something ‘seasonal’.

Dazzling in bright eyes and naturally happy smile, Luhan walks up to the ordering line and takes his spot as the fourth person waiting. It’s of no bother to him, really, as he now is able to take an appropriate amount of time to weigh his drink options.

Something with mint sounds delightful. But, Luhan isn’t too sure. There are some new seasonal options and the mint mocha combination isn’t too unique. He wonders what some of the others in the shop have ordered. Thinking it might sway his opinion; Luhan looks over the small crowd in the shop.

He can hear the hum of conversations and small moments of laughter, which make the shop even cozier compared to the chill of outside. Luhan takes a moment to peer at the occupants of the small coffee shop. Minus the three guests in line, there is a man and a woman having quite the in-depth discussion about something that Luhan can’t quite hear. They are sitting at a small table, appropriate for two, and both seem more interested in their topic of conversation than the drinks before them.

Two girls, possibly similar in age to Luhan, are gabbing away about something personally fascinating. Their speech is quick and with bouts of sudden volume, at which Luhan smiles even though he isn’t sure what they could possibly be talking about.

Another random male guest is sitting alone with his laptop and earbuds in. He contrasts the rather small shop by occupying the public space and yet still wanting to be within his own personal bubble. It’s interesting to Luhan who never feels comfortable closing himself off to people, and when he does it’s only within his own home.

What intrigues Luhan the most is the man sitting in one of the very few plush chairs in the farthest corner near the tall wall-length windows. He is staring out through the window while lost in thought. Luhan is nearly sure of this due to the vacant stare the man has and how it doesn’t seem to waver no matter who walks by. And while this small fact seems interesting, it is not what actually catches Luhan’s attention.

Sure, it may be cold outside, but the gentleman is wearing a black turtleneck, thick black jacket, dark pants - possibly charcoal in color but not quite black. Covering his head is a gray beanie while the only touch of color is a deep plum colored scarf hanging loosely around his neck. He looks like he’s waiting for snow, Luhan marvels to himself. Winter is definitely over, and yet this shop patron looks like he knows there is a blizzard on the horizon that no one else had been savvy enough to foretell.

Luhan glances at the cup sitting on the table near the man and ponders as to what it could be. It is definitely something ice blended, as it is in one of the plastic cups and not one meant for hot coffee. How could he be drinking an ice blended drink if he’s so cold? The thought makes Luhan furrow his brow, but then it quickly evens out when a smile appears on his face. Interesting.

Luhan turns back towards the menu - making a decision, and just in time too.

“What can I get started for you?” the barista asks.

Luhan clears his throat and leans towards the register a bit so that he can inquire somewhat secretly, “Can I ask if you know what that gentleman ordered?”

The barista follows the direction of Luhan’s glance and returns her gaze to his with wide eyes. “It’s a Vanilla Bean Creme Frappe, sir.”

Luhan blinked in surprise. It is nothing more than a glorified vanilla shake? Such a simple flavor. Shrugging to himself, he tells the barista what he wants and moves to the side of the counter to wait for his drink to be crafted.

The man near the window takes a sip of his drink.

Luhan stares.

He doesn’t mean to, but the longer he does, the more he notices the stranger. The man has absolutely beautiful features. His skin tone has a touch of olive to it, making him naturally tan. Teasing strands of bright white blonde peek out from beneath the beanie, which seem completely unnatural, and yet somehow perfect. He seems a bit thin, but the bundle of clothing makes it really hard to tell. Luhan often thinks of himself as too thin, at least when he isn’t able to be as active as he’d like to. He quickly decides that the man is definitely handsome.

What does he do for a living? Why the simple vanilla drink? Why the solo time in the coffee shop? Luhan has never had so many questions arise over a stranger before.

Luhan gasps as two blue eyes suddenly catch the light while the stranger's face turns towards him.

Oh my…

Luhan blinks and tries to act like he had been staring at anything else but the stranger.

“Luhan?” the barista suddenly calls.

He turns and grabs the given coffee cup, cheeks flushed from embarrassment. He hopes that it looks like a reaction from the coffee’s steam as he brings it closer to his face to take in the scent of the coffee. He has definitely made the right choice with the mint.

Luhan risks another glance at the stranger before he has to make the decision to leave or stay. He finds himself taken back again as he locks onto two dark brown orbs. Did I imagine the blue? Had it been a trick of the light? Luhan inwardly swears that the eyes had been lighter and definitely blue-ish, not the nearly black brown he is seeing now.

He is too intrigued - too curious to look away and definitely too interested to make himself walk out the door. Luhan finds himself walking towards the stranger’s table. The man has fixed his vision towards the window before Luhan moves forward, but Luhan is still somehow drawn to him.

He doesn’t really know what he is doing. He stops about an arm's length away from the small coffee table near the cushioned chair. Luhan doesn’t remember if he’d been there for a second or even a whole minute before his own name slips out of his mouth.

“Luhan.”

The stranger’s gaze snaps up at his, alarming him and keeping him from saying or doing anything else. Yes, they are definitely dark brown eyes nestled within striking features. The man has intense eyes that match an amazing jawline, full lips, and the most exquisitely shaped nose. Luhan has to remind himself to breathe. The stranger is without a doubt, arresting.

“What?” the man replies with a raised eyebrow.

“That’s my name,” Luhan let out.

“Oh.” The stranger looks Luhan up and down while giving off an air of disinterest.

“Yours?” Luhan dares to ask.

“I don’t know you…” the man replies.

“I’m only asking for a name?” Luhan reasons with a small request, trying to be encouraging while adding a small smile,

“I don’t think I owe it to you to give you my name. I don’t remember asking for yours.”

Luhan blinks twice and takes a step back as if struck by the stranger’s reply. He only wants a name to put with the figure in front of him, but apparently he isn’t entitled to such. Luhan is a little unnerved by the unfriendliness of the man but feels apologetic at interrupting whatever the guy was or wasn’t actually staring at.

“Sorry,” Luhan mutters before turning with his drink in hand. He quickly walks towards the shop’s door and lets himself out onto the chilly sidewalk outside. Suddenly, the cold seems quite cumbersome. Luhan wishes he had worn a heavier jacket or perhaps hadn’t chosen to walk to the shop, favoring the interior of a car instead. However, as he walks towards the street corner that pockets the coffee shop, he can’t help but glance back at the window.

Maybe the man isn’t staring at him, but maybe he is. The reflection of the world around him would forever distort just what was going on inside the small shop. Still, Luhan hopes, for some reason, that maybe the stranger is lamenting his missed opportunity to talk to him.

Maybe.

 


 

Luhan diligently pushes the small shopping cart through the store collecting things that seem good, and mostly things that he hasn’t tried before. It is his objective to try his hand at making several dishes and to keep himself from settling into a few favorite foods and not trying other things. Sometimes he will walk down the ‘foreign foods’ aisle and buy things without fully comprehending what they are. This leads to online searches for recipes and, on more than one occasion, a repeat visit to the store to get the items he needs to complete the recipes.

It doesn’t bother him. Shopping for food is a rather fun adventure for Luhan. At least it is a chance to learn something new.

Rounding the corner, Luhan finds himself in one of the canned food sections. He doesn’t really think he needs anything from it, but perhaps there is something unique that he can use to add to something or inspire something. To be honest, it isn’t that Luhan is the greatest cook. He doesn’t have a so-called knack for it, but nevertheless he finds himself curious. At that very moment, he thanks his own natural curiosity with sudden giddiness.

It isn’t fate, no. Luhan can’t believe that fate is involved – yet. However, from a safe distance at one end of the isle, Luhan doesn’t stop himself from taking in the overall appearance, or the existence, of the stranger staring at a particular selection of canned goods.

The same (or similar) dark pants hug the man’s legs. The very same jacket, Luhan is sure, adorns his upper frame while a black scarf and navy blue beanie nearly cover the rest of him. This time, Luhan is sure that the man has a style preference more than a comfort preference for while it isn’t hot outside; it definitely isn’t the definition of chilly.

Luhan can’t stop himself from smiling just a bit.

Trying to look a little nonchalant about the whole thing, Luhan pushes his cart a little further down the aisle. He still looks at the items on the shelf, but only half-heartedly. He takes in the fact that the stranger has a basket with only a few items inside. One looks to be a quart of milk while the other items are smaller and looked canned. A sudden thought occurs to Luhan as he pushes his abundantly filled cart in comparison: is the stranger living on limited means? It is a rude assumption to make. Luhan clearly knows, but he can’t stop the thought from marinating in his brain after the seed has already been planted.

Luhan moves closer and scowls as he recognizes the can goods. Every item next to the small jug of milk is a variation of canned meal. Luhan is of the opinion that meals should be bought fresh and cooked. Canned food, premade, just sounds so disgusting. Luhan does not want the stranger eating that, and for some reason the thought of him doing so severely bothers him.

Luhan clears his throat in attempt to gain the stranger’s attention.

It works.

“I um… I don’t know if you remember me from a few weeks ago. It was at a coffee shop?”

“Luhan.”

At the sound of his name, Luhan becomes very surprised. He doesn’t think the man in front of him had even listened to him let alone retained the information. “Yes, well – yes! I… I am trying out a new recipe and was wondering if you’d like to come to my place and give me a critique, maybe?”

The man has a comically confused expression on his face, but one that Luhan takes quite seriously and rather personally. “Why would I come to your house?”

“I was just offering…” Luhan looks down at the basket, confirming to himself that he really wants to do what he can so that the stranger will eat something decent.

The man follows Luhan’s gaze and sharply raises his eyes back up to glare at Luhan.

Luhan steps back at the animosity rolling from the man’s figure.

“I don’t need a hand-out,” the man snaps.

“I wasn’t implying…”

“You were. I don’t want your help or your sympathy.”

“That’s not… I didn’t mean anything by it…” Luhan frantically states while trying to save the situation.

The man turns quickly, leaving the aisle and making a straight line towards an available cash register.

Luhan is beside himself. His offer for food wasn’t necessarily out of pity. Maybe in the tiniest way, but this person still intrigues him. His mysteriousness and abrupt personality just begs him to figure out more. Luhan wants to share a meal because people always talk during meals and perhaps he can get to know the man better. Perhaps even find out his name. Now, however, he can’t immediately see a way to rectify the situation. Having no choice but to let the man storm out of the store, Luhan goes back to shopping with only about half of his original enthusiasm left.

 


 

It isn’t that Luhan is a reckless driver; at least he doesn’t think so. Just because it is raining doesn’t mean he has to drive at a snail’s pace either. The tires on his car are in good condition, and he has been driving for long enough to know how to handle the vehicle in different situations. So, Luhan drives the way he is comfortable with despite the ongoing obstacles of other drivers who don’t feel so confident.

The rain pummels the windows of his car and creates puddles in the road that are far too enticing to the man behind the wheel. Luhan skims by each one, enjoying the way the water rises against the side of his car before spilling over. No, he isn’t so rude as to do it when driving close to the sidewalk where the childlike behavior would wind up ruining the day for any nearby pedestrian. Luhan simply takes joy in little things, much like a child jumping into the middle of a puddle just to see the splash.

Continuing down the street, the traffic begins to congest forcing Luhan to slow down his driving. He isn’t on a time frame, so the congestion really doesn’t bother him or add any stress to his drive. As the cars around him seem to impatiently move between lanes, Luhan takes to glancing at his surroundings instead of looking for ways out of the inevitable traffic.

The sidewalks are still busy despite the weather. Pedestrians walk with umbrellas in hurried movements. Some simply have their jackets lifted over their heads and take the downpour the best that they can. Others seem to seek shelter beneath bus stops and store fronts. Luhan hopes they don’t have to wait long. Standing out in the wet weather for too long will only lead to sickness if prolonged.

The traffic comes to a standstill while meeting with a set of busy intersections nestled downtown. With the rain, several drivers are acting quite stupid and forcing the rest of the traffic to be further delayed. Still, Luhan hums along with the radio on low volume as his left hand drums the rhythm on the steering wheel. His way of traffic is halted at a red light; giving Luhan the chance to view the downtown area in its rain soaked glory.

It is here that Luhan realizes that maybe fate is trying to have a little fun with him, for 2 lanes away from the sidewalk, Luhan observes a very rain soaked individual sitting beneath the narrow shelter of the corner bus stop. He looks miserable, and while Luhan certainly takes pity on him, he is tired of the missed opportunities to have a conversation that doesn’t end in the other storming off. Perhaps this is his moment.

Luhan turns back to the traffic and curses at the fact that he is in the center lane and not close to the side of the road. He waits, anxiously tapping his fingers now to each second that passes and not the music in the car. When the light turns green, Luhan flips on his turn signal and immediately starts to merge into the next lane. It’s more than expected that the sudden honking of the car’s horn, to which he is cutting off, sounds loudly from behind him. Even though he probably looks crazy (and has just turned into one of the motorists that he was thinking of just a bit earlier), Luhan manages to pull over to the curb. He further angers other motorists, as he isn’t exactly in a parking zone.

Luhan lowers the passenger window and yells out to the rain soaked figure.

The man doesn’t look back.

Resolved in his mission, Luhan exits his car and quickly runs through the rain to get to where the man sits. “If you’re waiting for a bus, I can give you a ride,” Luhan offers.

He is struck as glacial blue eyes and quivering purple lips suddenly enter his line of vision. The man blinks a few times and Luhan has to fight back the need to gape at him. Contacts wouldn't just blink out of existence. It isn't that changing eye colors is unheard of, but Luhan hasn't met anyone who could do such a thing before. It means that this person is a hybrid. Of what kind, he doesn't know nor does it matter. The other is nearly shaking with cold and Luhan can't stand it.

"Leave me alone," the other barely chokes out.

"Please? I can't just leave you here. Let me drive you somewhere, anywhere."

"Why?" The other asks with a bite to his barely existent voice.

"I-I can't really answer that. I mean, I have my reasons - but I don't think you'd understand. Not when you've rejected my offer before."

"I told you, I don't want your pity."

Luhan rarely gets angry. Very rarely is his patience tested, but his tolerance for the other's stubbornness is gone. "Did you ever stop to consider that it's not pity, but that I might actually be attracted to you? That there's something about you that pulls me in? I don't keep running into you on purpose, but I'm thankful every time I do and it's not because I feel sorry for you. But if you like sitting in the rain so goddamned much, then suit yourself."

Without taking back a single word, Luhan turns and runs back to his car. Despite the fact that he is now completely soaked himself, he sits inside, pulling the door closed quickly and bringing his car back to life. He only spares a moment's glance at the other who is staring at his car with an expression that Luhan cannot completely define. As he drives away, he clenches the steering wheel tightly in his hands.

I hope he'll be okay. I hope I see him again. I really hope that wasn't the last time.

 


 

One of Luhan's favorite things to do, other than attending games, is going to concerts. There is just something about getting lost in the deafening sound and having one's heart be forced to beat along with the earth shaking bass - that gives him an adrenaline rush and an escape from the world for a few hours. He decides to tag along with a few friends this evening to a concert that isn't necessarily amongst his favorite bands, but he knows the music well enough to enjoy. The general admission access means that at some point in the evening he may get separated from said friends, but they all enjoy the scene enough to not care about the separation.  They will simply find each other when the concert ends.

Exactly as he assumed, Luhan is being shoved during one of the band's more high octane songs and quickly loses sight of his friends. He doesn’t fight it, as it means he can wind up bruised or something later, so instead he moves subtly along with the crowd as nearly everyone jumps or otherwise 'dances' to the music.

Luhan is in a daze of mindlessly singing and keeping up with the crowd when he is shoved in the chest and falls back against a person who steadies him by grabbing his waist. Not one for being touched quite in this fashion, Luhan spins around once he has his footing so that he can escape the stranger’s hold, even if it is only done to help him balance and not with any other intention. But as he turns, Luhan finds himself staring into a pair of warm brown eyes looking back at him from beneath shadowed blonde hair that is, as always, hidden beneath a cap.

Luhan can't bring himself to do much more than make an 'O' shape with his lips. Both of them stare at the other for far longer than seems appropriate given their last altercation. Or perhaps...

"Luhan," the other mouths. If he had spoken out loud, Luhan would not have been able to hear his voice. There is no mistaking his name on the other’s lips.

The last words Luhan spoke to him came flooding back to Luhan's already surprised brain. He blushes and suddenly wishes for the crowd to swallow him back into the abyss of bodies.

"Sorry," Luhan mutters, and then he turns and tries to escape. Yes, he wants to see the other again, but he isn't prepared to do so just yet or in such an environment.

Except Luhan can't escape because there is a warm hand at his wrist pulling him back. Luhan is suddenly high with anticipation and hopes that it is the blonde boy who is pulling him back. He shifts on his feet and spins to find the other closer than he assumes. Before he has a chance to collect himself, the crowd moves and he finds himself knees to chest with the other and trying not to react.

For a second time, he feels those hands circle his waist as the other pushes Luhan just enough so that they both can breathe, but doesn't let him go.

Luhan risks making eye contact and finds those brown orbs looking down at him in, what looks like, remorse.

"I'm sorry!" the blonde shouts.

Luhan just shakes his head. He doesn't want an apology.

"I'm sorry if I come off like a jerk."

Luhan isn't sure he hears him correctly as it's so hard to hear over the music. The whole sentence is spoken too quickly and Luhan can't really read his lips. He shakes his head and pleads with a look for the other to try again to make him understand.

"I don't mean to be a jerk, it's just that people don't understand me and..." but he stops as he realizes that Luhan still looks confused.

The blonde brings his hand up to scratch the side of his head without taking off the hat. He bites his plump lower lip as he stares and tries to figure out how to tell Luhan what he means.

The crowd shifts again and Luhan shuts his eyes in anticipation of where he may now find himself standing or who he will next bump into. The hand at his waist circles his back and doesn't let go as the crowd settles into a sort of stability.

Even so, Luhan feels himself being tugged closer to the other and gasps without opening his eyes. He's afraid and hopeful, excited and yet finds himself reasoning that this moment is about to end with another brisk retreat by the other. Surely, Luhan isn't allowed this much time around him before the other gets mad.

Imagine his surprise as he feels warm breath against the side of his face as a single syllable word is spoken so that Luhan won't miss it.

Suddenly the grasp around him is gone. Luhan opens his eyes in surprise but the other is no longer there. In sheer desperation, Luhan stands on the tips of his feet and tries, very unsuccessfully, to yell above the crowd.

"KAI!!!"

 


 

Luhan works as an Intern in a modest yet successful business where he is learning how to run reports and look at statistics and accomplish gaining knowledge that, according to his parents, will give him a better foot forward. Most of his work is routine and he doesn't see how it's actually helping him, but at least it's something to be added to a resume for the future. The internship is paid, albeit quite minimally, but he grew up in a decently wealthy home so he can afford to wade through with the low pay for now. He is currently the only intern, but there are positions open for more. Luhan is busy today, assisting in setting up for some group interviews that will be taking place in the late morning.

He's currently helping out one of the secretaries by arranging questionnaires for the applicants for a pre-screening before they go in to talk to one of the supervisors. The company isn't too strict, but they also won't waste their time on interns who aren't specifically interested in the company either. Luhan had enough charisma to get him through months ago. He is actually looking forward to seeing if anyone else has a similar approach.

Luhan is asked to get some extra pens and pads of paper and quickly walks off to do so.

When he returns, people are waiting just within the lobby of the main office building. He can see them through one of the glass walls and observes them. Some are sharply dress while others are barely wearing attire deemed to be business casual. Others look completely unfit to be in the walls of the office and Luhan feels sorry for the half of them who won't make it just due to first impression judgments alone.

Luhan is further disappointed when he realizes he won't have much luck in viewing the actual process of weeding through candidates. Before he knows it, he's assigned with meaningless tasks that take him away from the conference room. Luhan supposes he will have to try to be in the lobby when the meeting lets out so that he can make assumptions on who was rejected and who wasn’t. It really isn’t his business, but he is curious. After all, the interns that will be hired will be his coworkers.

Two hours later and Luhan is exactly where he wants to be. He’s standing at the receptionist desk in the lobby making small talk with one of the girls there. He does so without paying too much attention to the conversation while he waits. It isn’t long before Luhan recognizes more than a handful of the applicants filing out from the hallway and into the lobby.

Most of the people walking towards the door seem to be in a hurry. Just as Luhan had thought, most of those walking out now had been within the group that Luhan considered to have a less than impressive attire. Luhan stares at them, hoping they get some proper suggestions on how to do an impressive interview in the future. He hates that the world revolves around appearances, but he is not in a position to change it.

Luhan continues to look until he sees someone walking by wearing slacks with a jacket, which isn’t too bad, but he is also wearing a beanie and Luhan can’t believe it. But what he can’t believe is not only that the individual had worn such a thing, but that the individual is in fact Kai.

Luhan breaks away from the desk in an eager walk so that he can stop Kai from walking out. He stands in the other’s way and waits for a moment for the other to make eye contact with him. Kai comes to an abrupt stop and slowly looks up into Luhan’s eyes. Shock plays across Kai’s features before they harden back into a look of determination. Kai tries to take a step to the left to get around Luhan.

“What are you doing here?” Luhan whispers, grabbing Kai’s wrist before the other can leave.

“Let go,” Kai demands.

“Did you apply? What happened?” Luhan can tell that the other is becoming angry by the way his arm tenses up and his body posture straightens.

“Let. Go.”

“Kai, please, just talk to me.”

The other whips his gaze back to Luhan and stares at him hard. Luhan is almost intimidated, but he can feel his own anger flaring to life. “Don’t blame me. I’m not your enemy.”

“Everyone is my enemy,” Kai snaps.

Luhan reels back from the statement. “How is that so? I haven’t done anything to you.”

“Everyone says no, eventually. Everyone. No one gives me a chance. And just when they’re about to, they change their minds,” Kai harshly whispers.

Luhan doesn’t want to be compared to ‘everyone’. He wants to fight the accusation. But, as his anger intensifies and a reply makes its way to his lips, Luhan doesn’t realize until much later just how much he should have sought to censor the statement. “If you’re angry about being rejected for the internship then maybe next time you should wear something more suitable. I mean, a beanie? Really?”

“ off. You don’t understand.”

“No, I don’t. I don’t understand you at all.”

“So, let go,” Kai demands as he rotates his wrist and successfully breaks Luhan’s hold. He turns on his heels and walks out the door.

Luhan isn’t ready for the escape this time. He falls into step and follows Kai out of the doors despite the scene they had just created in the lobby of his workplace.

“Kai! You can’t keep running from me!” Luhan shouts as soon as they’re outdoors.

But the other doesn’t turn or make any sign that he’s listening.

Luhan takes one last quick attempt, grabbing the back of Kai’s jacket and pulling at him.

Kai turns around sharply. His ice blue eyes pierce Luhan with barely contained fury. “You want to understand? You want to be the one to walk away from me instead of the other way around?”

“But I wo-“

But before Luhan can fully protest the accusation, Kai whips the beanie off of his head – revealing a pair of cat ears that stand at attention. They are light in color and blend in with the spectacularly light blonde hair that is now a little in disarray from the removal of the hat. Luhan is in shock, but not because he can find any reason to walk away, but because the sight in front of him is completely beautiful.

Kai’s fury melts into uncertainty and fear. He hasn’t stood in public, revealing exactly who he is in a very long time. The act makes him self-conscious and he almost regrets it, except for the fact that Luhan isn’t walking away yet. However, Luhan also isn’t saying anything. Kai doesn’t know what to do, but when nothing else comes to mind he pulls the hat back over his head and turns to make a run for it.

Luhan is grounded in place by the revelation that just took place before him. His thoughts are a mess and he is trying to sort them out and finally understand. Kai is a hybrid, a cat hybrid, and while everyone knows they exist, they still find their acceptance in society tentative. Sure, many of them still find ways to live mostly peacefully, but they still are gawked at and looked upon as different which is exactly what Luhan had just stood there doing. He blinks a bit too late and finds that Kai is no longer in front of him.

And it hurts.

Luhan wants to reassure him. Hold him. He’ll even apologize if it will help the situation. Mostly, Luhan wants him to know that it doesn't change just what Kai has begun to mean to him. It only changes the circumstances around them. It only means that Luhan has a clue as to finally understanding just why Kai acts the way he does and while the confrontation must have been difficult for the other, Luhan is so completely grateful that he now comprehends.

If only he’d been able to keep Kai around long enough to tell him.

 


 

Luhan finds himself, on more than one occasion, searching every place he has run into Kai so far. He visits different coffee shops and markets. He peeks at every bus stop as he drives by. He watches around the business district for any hints of the other. He hasn’t attended any concerts lately, but sometimes he eyes the crowds if he is near a club or similar venue. Luhan isn’t sure what he’s looking for, but most of the time he looks at people with covered hair and wonders if he’ll actually ever see him again.

Luhan can’t help but worry about the other. Luhan realizes that he’s always been lucky. He’s always seen the brighter side of things and been able to look past the things in life that seemingly cripple others. Luhan hasn’t had to work hard to only get an inch in life. He has a bit of luxury in his ability to survive. It isn’t that Luhan pities Kai. He doesn’t want to give him a handout or pay for his life to improve. Luhan simply wants to encourage the other or be the small thread of hope that the other can pull on when things get a bit hard. Luhan thinks that offering that kind of support isn’t so unreasonable, nor something for the other to take offense in. Besides, who takes offense in being loved?

But Luhan doesn’t know where to really look for Kai. He doesn’t know enough about the other to know how to find him. As Luhan returns home one evening, he realizes that just like before, he will have to leave it up to fate.

 


 

Luhan finds himself, weeks later, sitting in the same corner coffee shop where he was granted the privilege to see Kai for the first time. He is sitting in the plush chair staring out the window at the pedestrians walking by. He isn’t trying to look for Kai, but he is always silently praying that he will just see him again someday. He has been sitting in this spot for a little while now and suddenly smiles to himself.

He wonders if he looks the same as Kai had that day; lost, waiting, or perhaps just consumed in thought. He wonders if anyone else has observed his state just like he had about the arresting blonde stranger. Luhan won't admit just how often he thinks about Kai, except for maybe to Kai should he ever have his chance to. Luhan will not hesitate to tell him every single thought he’s had since the last time he saw him.

It is getting closer to summer now and while the weather still hasn’t quite reached the predicted uncomfortable heat, it is hardly ever cold out either. Luhan is relaxing in a comfortable pair of jeans and one of his favorite t-shirts. Today, there is no reason to be anything more than himself. Luhan’s eyes move to the sky and take a moment to relax from observing the crowds.

It isn’t until a shadow looms across his space, cast by something outside of the window, that Luhan returns his gaze to the street just outside. The world is moving as it should be. The signals change and a new batch of pedestrians are permitted to cross to the corner. As the crowd disperses in different paths down the sidewalk, Luhan sits up in his seat – eyes locking onto a dark beanie belonging to someone who is just barely taller than several of the others walking around.

Luhan doesn’t breathe for a moment as he watches the other look hesitantly at the coffee shop. Luhan isn’t sure, but he is willing to bet that the other is wishing he could look through the windows instead of merely seeing a reflection of the world around him. Luhan makes a wish, almost aloud, that the other is going take a risk at walking inside. Luhan hopes that Kai is looking for him. If he is, then Luhan will do everything in his power to make sure that they never have to look for each other again.

Luhan sits pensively in the chair, eyes not even blinking at the movement of the other. He clenches the arms of the chair as Kai walks closer to the coffee shop door. The litany of prayers is starting to spill from Luhan’s lips in rushed whispers. His toes curl in his shoes as he is telling himself not to stand up and run to the door. Luhan observes the look on Kai’s face as the other reaches to push the door open. He looks apprehensive, maybe even nervous. Luhan feels hopeful in this, but keeps still while the other walks in. Luhan averts his eyes and waits. He doesn’t want to look too eager.

Footsteps are made slowly, but grow closer to where Luhan is sitting. Soon, Luhan can see the tips of a black pair of worn shoes in the corner of his vision. He has to tell himself to breathe, otherwise he might hold his breath and seem just as nervous as the other. Luhan waits just another second before he decides to look up.

Kai’s eyes are warm brown, but seem a bit sad. His hair is covered, as always, but now Luhan knows why. His shirt is a bit baggy on his frame, but there’s no jacket this time. He’s wearing comfortable looking jeans as well and Luhan realizes that they nearly go together, if it weren’t for the fact that Luhan doesn’t even own a beanie.

“Hi,” Kai lets out.

“Hi,” Luhan responds, failing to think of what he should say and in what order and when it would be most appropriate.

“I… was hoping I’d see you here,” Kai admits.

“You were looking for me?” Luhan asks, even though inside he’s rejoicing.

Kai’s cheeks change to dusty pink color as he nods just once.

Luhan doesn’t care anymore about how things sound. “I have been looking for you too.”

Kai’s eyes lock onto Luhan’s in disbelief. Luhan watches as the color brown starts to fade a bit, almost to a gray color. It’s as if they’re almost turning blue, but only about halfway.

Luhan stands up. He doesn’t want Kai to be looking down towards him. He wants to look at him directly; equally. “You didn’t give me a chance to say anything last time. I just needed another moment, but you left, again.”

“I was being stared at,” Kai justifies.

“Because you’re beautiful.”

“Because I’m different.”

Luhan shakes his head. “Because if people aren’t completely taken by how perfect you are, they’re jealous. Because I’m completely taken by you I couldn’t think of what to say. And it’s not because you’re a hybrid. I’ve been completely taken by you since the first time I saw you sitting here staring out that window.” Luhan makes gestures towards the plush chair and the world beyond the glass as emphasis towards his story.

Luhan takes a careful step closer and reaches out to touch the side of Kai's hat. He slips his fingers just beneath the edge grazing over the patch of hair there. He watches as Kai closes his eyes. Luhan wants to show him how wrong he is. While they may be in public, they are still somewhat sheltered in the coffee shop. Luhan knows that this is the safest environment for them without taking Kai back to his place. Before the other can protest, Luhan pushes the hat away quickly running his hands through the tousled hair and the soft fur that lines the delicate pair of ears nestle there. Luhan continues to Kai’s scalp, taking another step forward as the other nearly folds at the affection.

Kai has never felt like this. He isn’t aware that someone can make him feel adored, but that is exactly how he feels with Luhan touching him. Kai doesn’t seem to know anything anymore as a soft drumming sound bubbles up from inside at his contentment. Luhan wraps his other arm around Kai’s frame and pulls him closer so that he can feel as much as hear the soft purr. Luhan runs his fingers through the hair at the back of Kai’s head before letting it linger down his neck. He reassures the other with soft circled caresses along his spine and holds him securely all the while.

Luhan takes a moment to take in the other patrons of the shop and realizes, with much joy, that those who are looking seem entranced with the couple. No one is sending them judgmental glares. No one is looking with disgust. Luhan wants Kai to see it too, but at the slight nudging that Luhan gives to the other Kai is quick to hold himself to Luhan.

Luhan thinks that this moment has been a big enough victory. He won't push Kai to deal with more than he can and in small doses.

“Will you come with me?” Luhan whispers.

Kai nods.

Luhan puts just a tiny bit of distance between them and picks up Kai’s beanie. But instead of letting the other put it back over his ears, Luhan slips it on his own head and turns to beam at Kai. “How do I look?”

Kai smiles. He thinks Luhan looks good no matter what. He wants his hat back, but just this once, he gives in and lets himself be pulled behind Luhan relying on him to shield him when it’s normally his disguise that accomplishes this for him.

Luhan proudly holds Kai's hand as they exit the shop and walk around the corner to where Luhan has parked his car. He can feel the nervousness radiating from Kai. He can only think of one thing to say to him in that moment.

"I would proudly accompany you anywhere. You flatter me just by letting me hold your hand."

The deepening blush is enough to make Luhan feel like he's on cloud nine. The handsome blonde is his in that moment and he couldn't feel happier.

Luhan approaches his car and opens the door. "Is it okay if I take you to my place? We can go to yours, or I can think of somewhere else...?"

Kai shakes his head. "Your place. I don't..."

"It's okay. You don't have to give me any reasons... I'll take you wherever you feel most comfortable as long as you promise to talk to me. No more running away."

Kai nods and sits down on the passenger seat in Luhan's car. The drive is not long back to Luhan's place, but both of them are quiet and don't speak a word while Luhan is driving.

Luhan is quick to exit the car when parked and open the door for Kai. Kai isn't used to being catered to and stares at Luhan in bewilderment. Luhan just smiles and laces his fingers with Kai's as he guides the other through the complex to his studio apartment. Luhan never needed anything larger and the space is comfortable but keeps him from staying home all of the time. Luhan is not one to stay home and do nothing, or virtually nothing. His place is tidy and nice and the only thing that seems to suddenly make it a million times better is the addition of the shy blonde that has been lightly tugged through the front door.

Luhan's head is swimming with things he wants to say and ask. He can barely contain his joy as he looks at the other. "Are you hungry? Do you want anything to drink?"

"I'm fine."

Luhan thinks he's probably just politely declining, but he accepts it for now because he's sure he can convince the other to eat with him later.

Kai shifts uncomfortably near the now closed door. Luhan wants him to feel at home. "Kai, you can relax. Please. I have no agenda. I want you to be comfortable."

Kai nods and looks around the studio apartment. He likes it. He wishes he has somewhere like this to be, but he can't afford anything this nice.

"Can I ask you something without you getting offended?" Luhan suddenly asks.

Kai's ears perk up a moment before his attention locks back onto the other. He nods.

"Are the ears and the occasionally changing eye color the only physical-"

"No," Kai interrupts. "I have a tail too."

Luhan looks at the other thoughtfully. He doesn't want Kai to feel different or like a spectacle, but Luhan is naturally curious. Still, he knows better than to be rude so he smiles at the other in acceptance. "Are you sure you don't want something to drink at least?"

Kai shakes his head.

Luhan decides to offer himself up first so that Kai doesn't feel like the spotlight rests on him. "I've lived here for just under two years now. I work as an intern where you applied, but my parents are the ones that want me work in business. It's not exactly my dream, but it's a sound career choice. I like alternative music and am not very good at sitting around at home. I like to keep moving, stay busy, that sort of thing. I like sports too."

"You're also beautiful," Kai suddenly states. He looks rather determined and continues, "I am sorry I was such a jerk, it's just hard. I don't like when people think of me as something they need to fix or help. I can do anything anyone else can but they don't ever give me the chance to. If I show up like this, people just like to stare at me and if I hide it, well I can't hide it very well."

"You hid it very well, I just wish you wouldn't. I'm sure you are extremely capable at doing anything, we just have to prove it to everyone."

"We?"

"If you'd like. I know you don't want the help, but I am helping you because I care about you. In case you don't remember, I wanted your attention far before I found out anything about you. I'd love it if you'd give me a chance to prove it to you."

Kai has to fight back the overwhelming feeling to approach Luhan. His instincts are begging him to be near the other and ask to be touched and reassured with more than just words. There is a territorial need to take Luhan at his word and make him belong to Kai and vice versa. Kai subtly rocks back and forth on the balls of his feet like an anxious child. He hasn't acted this way since he was a kid, but even then he'd been rejected by others his age when he only wanted friendship.

Luhan can see the anxiousness radiating from the other. He lifts his hand, palm down to signal to the other to come closer. A bright smile lights up Luhan's expression as the hybrid walks quickly until Luhan can easily touch him. Testing the waters, Luhan moves his hand to simply trace the length of the other's arm. At the slight shiver that Kai gives off, Luhan takes his chance.

He pulls the other into a light embrace making sure his hands trace the other's back in repetitive . It's enough to bring out that satisfied humming noise as Kai surrenders to Luhan in a way that he never thought he would to another being. Kai lets go of his need to protect himself and be strong all on his own in exchange for letting just one person do so with him. He mewls against Luhan's shoulder, even though he's taller than the other and has to slouch, but he does so eagerly. Luhan's hands don't stop and Kai's mood continues to lift.

"I love you. Stay with me," Luhan whispers. He wants to do this everyday with Kai. He wants to be the reason Kai lets out such satisfied noises and he wants to be the only person that Kai gives in to. He wants to be the only one allowed to touch Kai and yet he wants to encourage the other and see him take on the world as though he's invincible.

Kai nods eagerly and winds his arms around Luhan so that he can fit closer, as if the proximity will prove that Luhan belongs to him. Kai takes a moment to look at Luhan's face, because it's there that holds the sparkling eyes and the innocence that the other still possesses while Kai had to let go of his own so long ago. Kai loves how Luhan speaks so confidently and the world hasn't taken away his positive outlook. It's something Kai needs when his days are tough.

Kai can't stop himself as he straightens his posture and captures Luhan's lips with his own. He kisses the other for having the tenacity to 'chase' him and not let him go after Kai tried to push him away. He tastes the other and it's better than anything Kai has tasted before and he swears he isn't worthy, but he at least has a reason to try to be.

Luhan kisses him back and moves his caresses around Kai's lower back and sides before moving his hands to the other's hips.

Suddenly, Luhan pauses and Kai knows why. He implores the other with a look to please just give him a moment. Luhan waits as he feels Kai shuffle close to him as if he’s suddenly really uncomfortable and is trying to adjust. Kai looks back at Luhan a moment later as a smile forms across his face.

Luhan thinks that when Kai smiles, the sun doesn’t hold a candle in compared brilliance.

Luhan is further surprised at the sensation of being held even more secure just at his thigh. He risks a glance down to find a thin white tail placed around his left leg. It’s just long enough to curl around the back of his thigh. Luhan is amazed and admittedly a bit more than by the gesture. As far as he understands, as a hybrid, Kai has taken to him with more than simple acceptance.

Luhan reaches up and takes to rubbing the tip of Kai's ear lightly between his finger and thumb in a sign of understanding. He looks at Kai and finds those icy blue eyes looking at him.

"This is your home as much as mine, if you want it," Luhan offers.

"I want," Kai simply states.

"Do you need help collecting your things and bringing them here?"

Kai shakes his head. "Later. I'll get them later. I don't have a lot, just a couple of bags."

"No furniture?"

"I lived with two other hybrids. We don't have much. I can't really claim any of the furniture," Kai explains.

Luhan offers another smile in reassurance.

Luhan has always been happy in most things, but right now he has honestly never been happier. He takes Kai in his arms again and kisses the other soundly. In the back of his mind, he rethinks all of his goals and self-expectations. He's going to succeed; he knows he will, but so will Kai.

Kai will always have a warm home and accepting arms to return to, but more than that they're going to prove that Kai is deserving of being the one to tell others 'no' and not the other way around.

Luhan is going to make sure that all Kai hears for the rest of his life is 'yes'.

 

*END*