squeak

rubbery fluffball

The first time Kris woke up to a pink rubber ball with a creepy smile, he screamed so loudly his mother thought there was an assailant in his room, but of course there was none, and the pink ball was just his jigglypuff, Chanyeol, which his friend named. He thinks Chanyeol is a pretty dumb name.

He had saved Chanyeol the previous day from a stray cat who had been trying to puncture a hole in the pretty jigglypuff. Since then, Chanyeol looks up to Kris like he was his knight in shining armour and refuses to be farther than a ten metre radius away from his prince. Kris thinks that instead of him owning Chanyeol, it feels like the other way around with how attached the Pokémon is.

Today though, after being used to waking up to the creepy grin (everyone else insisted it was cute), Kris no longer screams and instead, pushes the ball off of him, tumbling down to the floor. He feels a tad guilty when he hears a squeak but he’s too tired from yesterday’s training, mostly consisting of making Chanyeol stay put as he trains his newly acquired Bulbasaur.

He rolls over to face the wall and closes his eyes when he feels a light weight on his shoulder. It’s a normal occurence, Chanyeol wanting to sleep with him, so he pays no heed and falls asleep, a comforting weight on his shoulder.

He should have heeded the weight, he says to himself as he looks at his own reflection in the mirror, littered with stars and hearts poorly drawn using permanent marker, the one he dedicates for his art, and this, whatever this is, is not art.

Out of the corner of his eyes, he sees Chanyeol waddling into the bathroom, joining him. The jigglypuff inhales before floating onto Kris’ shoulder, a cute bubbly laugh escaping it. Kris glares at the offending creature before bending down to scrub his face clean, causing Chanyeol to tumble down to the floor yet again. He hears an indignant squeak before he spots a microphone in the pink ball’s short excuse for arms and he bends down to retrieve it quickly as Chanyeol inhales, even if his face is still full of hearts and stars.

“Oh no you don’t.”

Another indignant squeak.

“No,” he warns, crouching to glare at Chanyeol.

Yet another indignant squeak.

He sighs, picking up the angry jigglypuff. How does a jigglypuff even make a condescending stare, Kris has no idea, but he feels like Chanyeol is doing that right this moment. “Look, I’m sorry for pushing you off the bed today,” he apologises.

Chanyeol makes no sign he’s heard him. Kris adds, “And on other days too.”

Kris smiles when Chanyeol holds up his cute, tiny hands and presses his face close to him so Chanyeol can hug him, or as much as jigglypuffs can hug with how short their arms are.

Even if Chanyeol is rubbery, annoying, stubborn, and can’t speak aside from a few words like ‘jigglypuff’ and ‘fanfan’, Kris is really glad he saved him, he thinks as he pets the curly tuft of hair on Chanyeol’s head.