We Meet Again

The Edge

The task of finding the girl was dropped as Sehun went back to his work. The thought of her was shoved to the back of his mind as he performed in one stadium after the other. Though he was exhausted, he made sure to ingrain the moments in his memory. How the stadium was hot, how loud the cheers were and how the lights shone bright for him, for his group. Sehun found a renewed excitement in performing after their conversation and he was immensely grateful to the strange girl for that.

 

Yet even with his new found energy, Sehun was still a human that needed a break. Fortunately, the company granted them a two-week vacation before they resumed with their North American tour. Some members went overseas but Sehun preferred to return to Korea, to the comfort of his own bed. The two weeks passed by very quickly and the idol found himself in the company building again, called for pick-up rehearsals. While waiting for the practice room to clear out, he wandered off to pass time.

 

He passed by Seokcheol and they exchanged greetings. "Hey, you wanna hang out at the evaluations for a while? I just wanna put some pressure to those kids." Sehun chuckled fondly at the offer. He experienced the exact same thing in his own evaluations, with Eunhyuk, Yunho or even Boa dropping by just to observe. Now he had the chance to be the exact same person he was afraid of seeing in his evaluations; a successful idol. He accepted the trainer's offer and they walked together to a practice room. Trainees loitered around, practicing at the last-minute or just talking away their nervousness. They immediately stopped what they were doing and bowed to the two, whispering among themselves as Seokcheol and Sehun passed by.

 

He sat at a corner, a few feet away from Seokcheol, performance director and BeatBurger's Shim Jaewon and a producer introduced to him as Lee Jeonkyu. To be honest, the evaluations were such a blur to him. Trainees came, showed what the prepared and left. In his long training years, Sehun saw every single talent there is to be practiced (which the company found to be useful) and there wasn't any particular performance in this evaluation that caught his eye, yet. Except that one kid who tried to stage an ambitious one-man comedy show. He tried to stifle his laughs while  the other three just looked with disbelief in their eyes. His phone rang, a text from Suho.

 

'Where are you?'

 

He heard the door close and open, and heavy steps echo across the room. 'Monthly trainee evaluations. Why?'

 

"Good evening."

 

"Good evening to you too. Your name?"

 

Huh, that voice sounds familliar. His phone buzzed again.

 

'Be in the practice room in se- "Sam Valdez, seonsaen-"

 

Sehun looked up in surprise and true enough, it was the girl in the rooftop. In his shock, he didn't notice his phone slide out of his palm and crashed to the ground, a loud thump heard all over the room. It was followed with painful awkward silence, with all eyes on him. Sam's eyes,  were wide in recognition but she immediately turned her attention to the evaluators when Kyungjeon cleared his throat.

 

"I-I'm sorry, d-don't mind me. Do go on." the idol stammered an apology and lowered his head in embarrasment. Chill the out, Sehun!

 

"My name is Sam Valdez, seongsaengnim."

 

"What will you show us, Sam-ssi?"

 

"I've prepared a dance and a song to sing, sir."

 

"Well then, whenever you're ready."

 

After setting up her music, Sam began her dance. The song had a strong, bass beat into it and was perfect for an energetic popping performance but the trainee opted to do something smoother to go with it. In his opinion, the two elements wouldn't work out but for her, it did perfectly. Sam did it but she alternated between smooth and powerful, with the cleanest transitions he had ever seen. It was advance, something you'd see in top-tier choreographers and certainly not with trainees. When she finished with an unexpected backflip, Sehun's jaw dropped in surprise. He looked over to the panel and saw them wide-eyed too.

 

"Did you choreographed that, Sam-ssi?" Jaewon asked, breaking the silence. 

 

Sam nodded, a small yet proud smile on her face. "Yes, sir."

 

"That was spectacular, congratulations." all of them, including Sehun and the staff, clapped at the director's comment. "Even Sehun thinks so too, don't you?"

 

This kid is a genius, holy .

 

Words left him as green eyes looked over to him. He could only raise a shaky thumbs up in approval and she bowed to him in return. As he heard shuffling in order to prepare the next song, his phone buzzed beside him.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Where the hell are you? We're waiting for you!"  Sehun furrowed his eyesbrows in confusion and looked at the screen. Lovely Suho

 

", I'm still at the evaluations. I'm going now." 

 

Sehun immediately ended the phone call and stood up to leave. He made sure to pass by the middle, to the waiting trainee. Sam stiffened as he walked up to her and stiffened even more when he patted her on the back. "Goodluck, trainee!" the idol made sure to say loudly, so his actions were under the guise of giving encouragement.

 

He bent down near her ear and whispered,"We meet again, Sam-ssi." with a smirk. Though her eyes remained straight ahead for her, her lips quirked into a barely-noticeable smile and her body relaxed.

 

"We sure did, Sehun-ssi. Glad to see you're still alive." she retaliated, jokingly but he sensed the relief in her jesting tone.

 

"I sure am. Thanks to you, kid."

 

And with a wink he did not expect on doing, Sehun walked out of the room. It wasn't gone unnoticed by the girl, who rolled her eyes in playful exasperation. 

 

'Thanks to you, kid."

 


Author's note: Thank you so much for the feedback! It really motivated me to continue write this and possibly make this into a full-fledge series. I have so many ideas in my head and I hope I can write them down for all of you! Finally, my delulu plot bunny isn't a plot bunny anymore! Thank you so much! As usual, constructive criticism and information is very, VERY, appreciated!