2

Take me Away, Cowboy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Later that night, the heavy rain recedes and turns into a drizzle. This relieves Jongin. If it will finally stop, the construction of the bridge will surely begin--and this means Luhan, his hard to impress guest, can finally return home. The firewood is still blazing as he closes the window in the living room one by one. Luhan is already in his room, sprawling on the bed; arms and legs spread in different directions. He inhales deeply and holds his breath for a while when he remembers Jongin. 

When Jongin was fixing the wooden floor in the front porch, he was busy spying on him on the window. Just when he thought he wouldn't get caught, Jongin looked back and saw him. He ducked down like an idiot and almost slapped his face in embarrassment. "Great. Just great." He then heard Jongin's footsteps growing louder and louder, until it stopped all of a sudden. "What are you doing?"  "Oh !" Luhan slipped off the couch and fell on his back. He looked up and found Jongin watching him through the window---his eyes curious and a little knowing. When he saw Luhan fell down, he dashed inside and checked on him. "Whatever you're doing, you have to be careful," Jongin uttered while helping Luhan to stand. The latter looked away shamefully. 

Luhan sighs loudly with eyes shut. He flips to the side, facing the wall, while curling his toes and nibbling his fingers. Something seems to be growing in his stomach--- a funny feeling.

Butterflies. 

He touches his nape when goose bumps splayed all over his body. Why is he getting affected too much? Is it because of how Jongin cares for him? Is it because of the way he looks at him? The way a smile forms on his lips? Is it because he saw him shirtless and wet?---his handsome features? tan skin? toned body? the way his veins pop along his neck and chest while carrying a set of timber to slip into the damaged floor?

"This isn't going anywhere," he whispers breathlessly as his mind wanders away. He starts to think what tomorrow has to offer. He concludes that Jongin is a busy person and works all day in the farm; probably planting crops or feeding the animals. Luhan cannot imagine himself being alone in the house again. "If the rain stops, I can probably look around the farm with him. But that means, I have to ride the horse again. Tsk. I don't like it." He then remembers the first time he rode it with Jongin. They were close to each other and Luhan could feel the former's chest on his back. He sits up abruptly and messes his hair, "What the hell?!!! I can't believe I am thinking about him. This should stop. I can't get attracted to--"

"Are you alright?" Jongin enters the room with a frown on his face. Luhan gasps before he inquires nervously, "When did you----? How did you--?"

"I knocked a couple of times but you didn't answer," explains Jongin. "I heard you swearing as I was about to go to my room so I dropped by to see if there's any problem."

You are the problem. Luhan shakes his head vigorously with eyes fixed on Jongin's toned arms, "No problem." 

"I see. I guess I have to leave you now. Sorry for disturbing you. Have a good night, Luhan," says Jongin, somehow in a hurry.

Wait, THAT'S IT? No more questions? No more talking? Luhan's eyes are tracking Jongin as he goes out of the room. He has this urge to call out, to make him stay for a little longer---for unclear reasons Luhan is not sure but the room feels so empty without Jongin's presence. Right at that moment, he feels cold and lost, "I am doomed."

~By the morning, the rain had stopped and the strong wind died down to a light breeze. The sun slowly peaks and sheds alight throughout the ranch. 

"J-jongin... don't go," murmurs Luhan while tugging Jongin back on his chest. They lie on the bed, sharing a passionate kiss and Luhan could swear his heart is about to explode in happiness. Jongin is holding him tightly as if he doesn't want to let go of him---his eyes full of love and cheeks slightly blushing in an overwhelming feeling. When he moves his head away from Luhan, the latter's face falls into disappointment. "Why did you stop? Please... kiss me again," pleas Luhan. "I have to work in the farm, Luhan," whispers Jongin; thumb brushing across Luhan's lips. "It's late.... but I guess another kiss won't hurt." Luhan rewards him with a huge smile before they fall into another lip-lock.

A rather painful one.

"Hm...w-wait..J-jongin. OW! Why did you...that hurts!" Luhan pushes him away when he feels a stinging sensation on his lips and cheeks--as if Jongin bites him really hard. He flicks his eyes a couple of times when a foul smell assaults his nose,  "Mnnm..w-what.?"

*bock

 

*bock bock

 

*bock bock bock bock bock!!!!

 

*BOCCCKAAAAAAKKKKKK!

.

.

.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" 

Like a time bomb, Luhan jumps out of the bed and scuttles out of his room with an ear-piercing squeal when a rooster pecks on his cheek while he enjoys his DREAM sleep. He comes running to find Jongin who is also dashing to meet him after hearing Luhan screaming at the top of his lungs. They bump into each other and Luhan doesn't think twice before jumps into him, "Take that chicken away from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" The rooster flies out of the window at once, escaping from the commotion it created. "Hush. It's fine it's fine! St-stop m-moving..or else we'll fall--OWWW!" Jongin loses his balance and falls sloppily on the floor. He lands on his back with Luhan clinging on top of him; his eyes tearful and obviously freaked out by the rooster. "Damn rooster damn rooster damn rooster!"

Poor Jongin--- his eyes also tear up after the impact. With knitted brows and crinkled nose, he murmurs in soreness, "A--are you alright?" Luhan, whose head is buried on Jongin's neck, faces the latter at once, "I'M SORRY, JONGIN!" Luhan cups Jongin's cheeks and asks with genuine concern, "I'm fine. What about you? I am really sorry." Jongin watches him in awe and gratitude--seeing Luhan getting all worried for him is unexpected. He nods and smiles, amused.

Luhan sighs in relief and unconsciously leans his head on the latter's chest---clutching tight on Jongin's shirt, "That scared me. I thought you're badly hurt."

. . . .

"Luhan..."

"Yes?"

"Can we get up now?"

With bulging eyes, Luhan rolls down from Jongin to the floor when he realized their awkward position. The cowboy sits up and rubs his shoulder as he watches Luhan getting up and walking rigidly away. "Where are you going?" he asks.

"Room," Luhan mumbles without looking back.

"What about breakfast? I already prepared it downstairs. Wanna join me?" 

Luhan lets out a sigh. He cannot believe how he lost his senses for a while when he was in Jongin's arms. Mentally, he's cursing himself for being careless. What if Jongin notices? He will probably be terrified. He turns around, eyes glued on the floor and nods hesitantly. The meal is a simple one of dried biscuits and milk. Luhan munches his food, spacing out while Jongin observes him silently. After they finish eating, Jongin immediately announces his leaving. "I will be at the barn. It's just across the pathway, near that cabin. If you need something, you can go there and ask for me," says Jongin while putting on his hat. He carries with him empty buckets and a toolbox. Luhan is standing on the doorway, contemplating. He will be alone again for the entire morning. Since he has nothing to do but check on old photos and count how many times the cows will *Moo*, he plans to wander around the ranch. While rubbing his nape, he follows Jongin to the yard, "Uhm. I was thinking," 

Jongin halts and waits for him to continue.

"Well I -uhm. I was wondering if I can go with you. I mean, I have nothing to do here. Maybe I can... help or something."

Jongin studies his face for a while, not sure how to respond. Luhan is probably bored being alone in the house but coming along with him in the heat, dealing with animals and walking in the muddy fields, Jongin doubts he would like it. 

"Why don't you go to Uncle Jung Hoon's house? If you are bored, you can watch movies there. Old ones though. But I guess it'll entertain you at the very least," suggest Jongin. 

Luhan's face darkens upon hearing him. I guess Jongin doesn't want me to come along. He doesn't want me to be around him. He looks away sadly and nods. Sensing this and feeling bad, the cowboy is quick to change his mind. "Or maybe you can go with me and check on the horses."

"Really?" Luhan clasps his hands in anticipation.

Wow. He's really excited. Jongin chuckles, "Yes. You can help me feed Rancho. What about that?" Luhan is pleased and approves. He walks side by side with Jongin as they journey to the barn. On their way, the ranch workers greet them warmly. Luhan, though not used in dealing with people of that kind, smiles back shyly. His subtle ways of reaching out and enjoying his time make Jongin feel better and at ease. Just when he thought it's impossible for the city boy to have fun in the ranch, he finds him curious and intrigue on how the cows are being fed and milked. He is still hesitant to go near and touch them but he is starting to appreciate the simple joys of working in the farm. The little children playing along the field are waving at them as they go to Jongdae's house. He is Jongin's friend and an expert when it comes to horses. The workers will gather at his house for lunch that day. Luhan and Jongin are sitting next to each other in a round table situated in the backyard. Curious women ask Luhan about himself and where he lives. The latter tell them that he is from a family of businessmen and that he will take over his father's company even though he doesn't like it much. Jongin listens to his story and is able to learn more about Luhan. Everyone seems to be very interested with the guest and he cannot help but expose an endearing smile once in a while. 

"Hey," Jongdae elbows him. "How long are you planning to let Luhan-sshi stay here?"

"Until the construction of the bridge is done," answers Jongin. LIE. "He is very eager to go home and I think that's because his parents are so protective of him. Come to think of it, he hasn't contacted them for two days since his phone is not working well. Plus the signal." He turns to Luhan who is about to take a bite of his roasted chicken and asks. "Don't think about it," answers Luhan unexpectedly. Yesterday, he was so pissed about not being able to contact them but now, the atmosphere changed. "I will wait until the bridge is fixed. Well, I hope I am not a bother to you."

"Oh no," replies Jongin politely while shaking his head. "It's no problem."

Luhan curled his lips upwards---eyes bright and lively and cheeks tainted with red. Deep inside, he is greatly moved by Jongin's words. He feels fuzzy on the inside and if he can, he will just give him a hug. J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter