My Green Eyed Savior

Winter in a Cardboard Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"When we die, do you think we'll still have our memories?"

"That depends on what you believe in. I was told as a kid, that when you went to heaven, your memories would be gone."

"Isn't that kind of sad? Everything we've done, trying to fight, trying to survive -- all washed away and completely forgotten. What's the point of it all?"

"I thought about that too. Well, one thing is you won't be sad. All your sad memories would be washed away."

"But you wouldn't feel happy either."

"..I suppose that's true."

"That . I don't think heaven would be heaven to me if you weren't there."

 

Tiffany shivered, despite the blanket and Jondalar's arm wrapped around her. She had never felt so weak and cold in her life, as if death crawled up inside of her. They were huddled inside Jondalar's truck, Tiffany watching the flames wash away, mindlessly listening to Jondalar's explanation.

Jondalar had gotten injured in combat a while back but hadn't been able to return to Atlas, he explained. When he tried to search for Tiffany, every loose trail disappeared and he struggled to find her, until now anyway.

He was helping out the firefighters, only saving a few people here and there when he saw Tiffany on the ground shaking. Everything began after that.

"You lived here?" His once soothing voice felt harsh against Tiffany's ears. She was so use to Taeyeon's gentle pleading voice.

Tiffany coughed before talking. "Yeah..well..for a while anyway.."

"..I'm sorry. You must have lost quite a few possessions." He pulled his sleeve down. "Hopefully not that much. I'll help you get back on track."

"Thank you.." She breathed. "But I'm looking for someone. She was..uhm.. my roommate."

"You haven't seen her yet?"

"No..well..uhm..she's from the military like you..but uh..her legs..she had an accident and she can't walk.." Tiffany felt her eyes itch with tears again. "I..I don't know if she made it out alive." Jondalar's eyes widened, but Tiffany was looking elsewhere. He lifted his arm off and started his truck. "Don't get your hopes up, but I might know who you're talking about."

 

Tiffany struggled to keep her mind on track. First Taeyeon and now Jondalar? It was like she was switching partners. She wasn't even sure if they were still together. What if they found Taeyeon? How would she explain to them that she was only dating one of them? But what if they didn't find her? What if Taeyeon was...dead? 

Would she stay with Jondalar and pretend Taeyeon never existed?

She looked at Jondalar's reflection on the mirror, remembering how she fell in love with him. She couldn't deny, yes, she loved Jondalar. But she loved Taeyeon now. She had been with him much longer than Taeyeon, but the circumstances brought Taeyeon and her closer than ever, not to mention she had just gotten over him.

She bit on her finger, preventing the tears from spilling again, not realizing Jondalar had been looking at her.

"So uhm.." His voice hummed a little. "..How have you been..?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter