And the Bird Falls Down

Winter in a Cardboard Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"It's a bit windy today." I casually mentioned as I tried to keep the silence away. But I was immediately hushed by a different soldier, telling me to be quiet. "Shut up. Do you want them to hear us?" I didn't even say sorry. I was too stubborn and scared to speak.

But Taeyeon was a patient person. She whispered in a small hushed voice, "That's not good. That might ruin my shooting." She kept me company and strangely made me feel safe. She had a sharp eye for things, telling me to avoid stepping on suspicious landmarks and where my boots wouldn't make too much sound. It needed to be as quiet as possible, she said, for them to hear any abnormal things in nature, other than the wind breezing by. After what seemed like an hour of walking, Junior's radio .

"Up ahead. A mile. No information regarding this area, stay alert."

"Copy that." Junior replied. "Fall behind me boys. Taeyeon, secure a position up ahead."

"On it." She turned to me. "Keep your eye on me." We left the group behind, smoothing breezing through the green forest. Eventually, the land began to drop and up ahead was smoke, signaling fire and human activity.

"Can you climb?" She examined the base of the tree and stared at the top. "We're going up this tree."

"W-What?" I stared at the branches, doubting it could carry both our weight.

"We're doing this the old fashioned way." She tucked her rifle behind her and started up the tree, finding specific points to carry her weight. "Follow me."

I yelled. "No! I can't do this!"

"Don't yell. They'll hear us, and shoot at us. Then you'll die. Do you understand? You willingly came with us, so do as I say." She commanded at least ten feet up the tree.

"This is crazy.." I mumbled before brushing my hands together. I wrapped my hands around the first branch then proceeded to lift myself up. I repeated the process without looking down and eventually carried myself up the long and heavy tree. The wind was stronger up here and I used all my strength holding the tree. I was a branch under Taeyeon, she leaned against the trunk, binoculars in hand. Even with binoculars, I doubt I could spot anything with the leaves that densely packed and hid us. 

"Don't move so much, or they'll spot you." Before I left, they dressed me in their uniform  -- an olive green suit. They tied my hair up and stuffed it into the helmet, ordering me to bring as little equipment as possible. "There. I see them." She passed the binoculars down to me and readied her rifle. I took a look myself, seeing a group of Mistral civilians carrying about in their small life. Was it really necessary to destroy this village? I didn't see anything that looked like a threat.

"Normally I have someone else with me, a spotter. But my partner was killed in action a few days ago and we're understaffed. They need as many people down there. I told them I could hold the position myself..but I don't know how long I'll last. Also, it's not an everyday thing for snipers to climb trees. I just can't find any other structure to gain altitude. Normally in the city I'd find a building or a roof.." She sighed. "And I don't have anything to lay my rifle on. I have to be completely still. The wind and the slope of this hill going down is something I'm going to have to calculate to get a proper shot. Wind and gravity are a sniper's two greatest enemies."

"Are you scared?" I asked.

"I don't have time to be scared. I pull the trigger the moment I need to. Every second I waste, that's more time the enemy can kill my comrades. Now, Tiffany, I'm going to need to you stay perfectly still. Being a sniper requires patience. I may or may not need to shoot anybody, but I need to know and observe what's going out there..with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter