We are Giants

Winter in a Cardboard Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We are Giants..We are Giants..We are Giants..We are, we are...

Sound filled my ears as I tilted my head back to take a fresh breath of air. It was a cold chilly morning in Atlas. I had been waiting for a bus that was scheduled to come ten minutes ago, wondering whether or not to walk in the snow or continue waiting. My boyfriend's car was in the shop getting repaired and checked to prepare for our road trip across the country. Work was only a thirty minute walk away, if I really really tried.

I huffed and curled my legs together for any kind of warmth. Eventually a middle-aged looking man sat on the opposite bench of the bus stop. We looked at each other for a small second before focusing on other things. I plugged my ears with music, leaned back, closed my eyes, and decided to wait a little longer.

When I opened them, I found myself staring at an old man walking down the street. He was slow. Super slow. He leaned on a cane and was dressed for a warmer weather. I pitied him for a quick second before bringing my attention back to my phone screen. At the corner of my eye, the man sitting beside me continued to gaze at the older, homeless looking man. Maybe he was disgusted like I was. Or intrigued. Or maybe, he was just looking for something to do.

After the old man disappeared from sight, the man next to me looked at his bag. Then, he stood up. He left his bag beside me, which I thought was odd, until I saw the packages of food in his hand. He had his eyes straight on the old man. He flagged him down and talked to him for a second, before handing him the food.

I couldn't quite see what the old man's expression was, but they hugged and the man came back to sit next to me. He had a warm, gentle face, and a little smirk that couldn't contain his prideful smile. I wondered for a serious second why he did that.

He didn't know that man, probably. The man did nothing but limp down the street. Why does he deserve food?

I looked at him, then my phone.

What a strange world, I thought. Humans are strange beings.

"Tiffany. You've heard the rumors of Atlas possibly plunging into a war with Mistral right?" My boss, Jaune, sat behind his unorganized desk eyeing me carefully. I put my bag down and fixed my hair.

"Of course. Who hasn't? Are you going to assign me an article about this?" I said eagerly excited to write an amazing article to prove my opinion on things.

"Calm down. I am. But I know you're not going to like it." Jaune smiled bitterly. "Atlas Military are apparently pulling homeless people off the streets to train them for military combat to increase our army's numbers. Not only will it help clean the streets, it'll help us militarily too. Or so they say."

Just before tightening the braided knot in my hair, I turned around talking with a hair tie in my mouth. "You want me to interview the military?"

Jaune shook his head. "No, I want you to interview the homeless."

"Jaune..you little ." I cussed under my breath, pulling the car to a stop. Despite having driven the entire radius of Kerning City, I had not yet encountered a single homeless person. Feeling malcontented, I pulled over to a gas station to fuel the car. I knew returning to the o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter