Park Hyomin

When Hyomin Embraced the Light, Warmth, Strength and Love

 

The little girl shot her head up when she hears the rustling of the grass. They were getting louder for the girl’s keen sense of hearing. The sounds were getting louder and heavier. In instinct the girl moved backward away from where the sound is coming from. She hit the wall and there was nowhere else she can go. She waited. The sound keeps getting louder and louder and so does her heartbeat.

Crash!

The girl ducked from the deafning crashing sound. She peeked and suddenly there were lights. The lights were aiming at her.

Blinding lights.

The girls shut her eyes tightly because of the blinding lights.

“There’s a child inside! I repeat the child is inside!” A man reported on the radio.

The girl covered her ears because of the deafning noise and the blinding lights.

The man signaled his men to lower down the firearms and to lower the lights. He extended his arm towards the kid, “Park Hyomin…”

The child was beyond scared and she screamed.

The men retreated further until the child’s scream stopped. They didn’t leave the child’s side. They are the rescue team and they have handled these kinds of situations. Obviously the child is traumatized.

The suspect has already been captured and with a series of interrogations, he finally confessed where the victims were. That is how they found Park Hyomin whom everyone thought was dead together with her parents.

The child has only seen darkness for as long as she remembers and has been alone for as long as she can remembers was startled by this sudden intrusion. She stayed still hugging her knees leaning on the stoned wall as if asking to be swallowed by the wall. The small light that was coming from the doorway was blinding her so she kept her eyes casted down to her feet. She does not understand what was happening.

Suddenly a woman came in and walked near the child. She has gentle features. Softly, she asked, “Are you Park Hyomin?”

Instead of answering the child covered her ears because even the soft voice is deafening her.

The woman spoke more softly as if she was whispering but to the child’s ears, it was still a deafening noise. The child continuously shook her head while still covering her ears. She didn’t like how close the woman was to her.

The woman carried the child who was struggling from her hold. The child kept screaming on the top of her lungs then she passed out.

--

For years all the child has been seeing is darkness but when she woke up everything was white. She has to squint her eyes to adjust at the new bright surroundings.

“I’m glad you are awake.”

The child looks at the source of the sound. She is the same woman as the last time. She is still wearing the same gentle features.

“Do you remember me?”

The child gave a small nod.

“Do you know your name?”

The child was just staring blankly at the girl.

“Are you hungry?”

The child nodded. The lady gave her a tray of food. The girl was attacking the food without using utensils. She was making a mess but she didn’t care. She stopped when she heard a giggle.

“Slow down. There are plenty more where it came from.” She said while wiping the kid’s mouth. “You’re safe now Hyomin ah.”

--

“The child is traumatized. She has developed amnesia as her brain’s defense mechanism.” The doctor explained.

“I can understand why. She has been locked up in that dungeon for like a month.”

“What about her parents?”

“We found their bodies a few meters from the dungeon where Hyomin was found. We think her parents hid their child inside to protect her from the attacker but they didn’t make it. So Hyomin got locked inside.”

“Such tragedy.”

“Do you think she can still recover?”

“We can perform therapy sessions which can help her remember but I think that is not the best option.  She needs to feel safe.”

--

Hyomin was brought to Dr. Lee’s house. Dr. Lee and her husband are both Hyomin’s doctor. Out of all the doctors, Hyomin only feels at ease with them. They decided to take Hyomin out of the hospital and bring her home. They knew that this will be a better environment for Hyomin.

“Umma, who is she?” A young girl asked. She is Sunny the Lee’s only daughter.

“She is Park Hyomin, she will be staying with us.”

“Why? Where are her parents?”

“They are gone. She is alone now. Sunny, will you be friends with her?”

Sunny looked at the pale thin girl before she gave a small nod. Sunny is a good kid. She listens to her parents. She did her best to befriend the girl named Hyomin. It was not easy. She usually complains to her parents.

“Umma, she wouldn’t even talk to me.”

“But Appa she only keeps staring at me. She never responds to me.”

“She ignores me.”

“She walks so quietly. Not even making a sound. Do you know how scary that is especially at night?”

Sunny’s parents will usually reply with a laugh or give an advice to Sunny or asked Sunny to be more understanding. They love how Hyomin is progressing with the help of Sunny.

--

Sunny was playing outside the yard while Hyomin is just sitting at the porch watching. Sunny has invited Hyomin plenty of times to play with her only to be ignored. Sunny is more understanding. Her parents have explained that Hyomin is like a baby. She has been alone for a long time and she has forgotten how to do things.

Sunny tripped and her knee hit on a rock. It was so painful. It was bleeding nonstop. She screamed and cried. Hyomin who saw the seen panicked and rushed to Sunny who was seating holding her knee while crying. Not knowing what to do, Hyomin squat beside Sunny. She was looking everywhere as if looking for help. She taps Sunny’s shoulder like how she sees from Sunny’s parents. She continues to tap it but it was to no avail. She saw that the bleeding still hasn’t stop. Like instinct, Hyomin bent down and the blood from Sunny’s knee. Sunny stopped crying. She was shocked by what Hyomin did. Hyomin coughed and spit. The girl continued to spit to remove the disgusting taste of the blood from . It was awful and regretted doing it. Sunny laughed at Hyomin’s expressioin. The laughter caught the other girl’s attention but still Sunny continued to laugh. Suddenly her wound doesn’t seem to hurt. Maybe what Hyomin did helped or realizing that Hyomin cared for her made her happy. Later on, Hyomin started to laugh as well. It was awkward at first but then it became a genuine laughter. The laughter of the two kids filled the house. Sunny’s parents watched the whole scene and they couldn’t be any happier.

Since that day, Hyomin’s progress was faster. She began to talk to Sunny and to Mr. and Mrs. Lee. Hyomin will often follow Sunny around except when Sunny is at school. For 8 years, Hyomin lived with the Lees. It was her new home.

“Hyomin ah!” Sunny hugged Hyomin who was seating on the sofa. “I am got accepted! I’m going to my dream university!”

Hyomin has this confused look. She was trying to decipher the terms Sunny just said.

“Ahh… university is also a school. School when you get older. This is the best school for those who wanted to be doctor.”

“Like Auntie and Uncle?”

“Yes. But I am not doing this for them. I am doing this for you. I mean it’s also my dream.” Sunny tried to hide her blush from the sudden confession.  Though she is confident that Hyomin didn’t catch it still she is embarrassed. She promised to be the best doctor so she can be there for Hyomin. So she can take care of Hyomin.

A sudden realization made Sunny frown.

“Waeyo?” Hyomin asked.

“My university is in another country. In the US.”

“US?” Hyomin tried to recall her geography from yesterday’s lesson. Hyomin is enrolled in home schooling. “It’s far from here.”

“Yes.” Sunny said sadly. “I don’t want us to be separated.” Sunny battled from being separated from Hyomin and accepting the university program. She knew that they cannot just fly Hyomin to the US. A drastic change in environment will not be good for Hyomin. She also knew that she will be busy and will not be there for Hyomin. It will be unfair for Hyomin.

Hyomin smiled and wiped Sunny’s tear. “You will come back right?”

Sunny nodded. It was like a switch of roles. Hyomin is acting the mature one now and Sunny is the kid.

“You will not forget me right?”

Again Sunny nodded.

“How long will you be there?”

“Four years.”

Hyomin frowned at the thought being separated from Sunny that long. She immediately smiles so not to discourage Sunny. She knew that this is Sunny’s dream and she will support the other girl. “I will be waiting for you to come back.”

Sunny hugged Hyomin tightly. “I will visit you every year. Arasso?”

“Neh!”

The whole Lee family explained to Hyomin that she will be under the care of the Hwangs. The Lees will be moving to US for Sunny’s education. They wanted to bring Hyomin with them but they all knew too well that a drastic change in environment will not be good for Hyomin. There are also other families who are stand as Hyomin’s guardian and this includes the Hwangs.

The Lees drove Hyomin to the Hwangs. Sunny kept hugging Hyomin all the way. She was crying nonstop. The Hwangs were waiting for the Lees and Hyomin. They greeted each other. The Lees bid their heartbreaking goodbye to Hyomin.

It was sad for Hyomin to say goodbye to a family she has known for 8 years. She knew that someday she will be separated from the Lees. She knew that she will be living with a new guardian.

“Sunny, it’s time to leave.” Mr. Lee called her daughter who refused to let Hyomin go.

“I’ll be back in no time.” Sunny promised Hyomin while still hugging the other girl.

Hyomin nodded in Sunny’s embrace.

Sunny looked at Hyomin who gave her the sweetest smile. Hyomin couldn’t say the word goodbye because she hates to say goodbye. She was trying hard not to cry. She wouldn’t open because she might beg Sunny to stay instead.

Sunny gave one last look to Tiffany Hwang who nodded in understanding. Sunny gave Hyomin one last look before riding the car.

Hyomin watches as the car get smaller and smaller, farther and farther. Hyomin looked up to the sky. It was bright and sunny. When she was young and alone, she embraced the darkness. Darkness was her only company. The night she was saved, even the smallest ray of light blinded her. After living with the Lees, with Sunny, Hyomin has learned to embrace the light.

 

The light is no longer blinding her.

 

Tiffany watches Hyomin as she stood there by the gates. Sunny even emailed her a whole list of do’s and don’ts for Hyomin. As if it wasn’t enough, the petite girl even called her every night two weeks to narrate them. Sunny even wanted Fany to memorize them. Fany was sure that if there was enough time, Sunny would even give her a test.

Tiffany walked towards Hyomin. She stood beside the girl who was looking at the sky. She kept her distance knowing that the other girl is not really a fan of physical contact especially from strangers. But looking at how Sunny was clinging on Hyomin, Fany disregarded the rule. Besides she didn’t even know more than half of the rules are. Tiffany decided to just be herself and trust her instincts. She let all Sunny’s rules down the drain. Standing beside Hyomin, Fany went to hold Hyomin’s hand.

 

Warm.

 

Hyomin felt warmth from the suddent contact.

 

She didn’t realize she was crying. The tears she was trying to hold on were now flowing like rain. She looked at the girl beside her. Tiffany wasn’t sure what else to do especially when the other is wearing a poker face so wiped Hyomin’s tears and smiled. She was so happy when Hyommin smiled back.

“Shall we get inside?” Fany invited.

Hyomin nodded making the other squeeled in delight.

“Mianhe I’m just so happy. Let me show you to your room!” Fany said excitedly and pulled Hyomin inside. Not only did she disregard the ‘safe distance’ rule from Sunny. She was also overly excited. It’s a good thing that Hyomin felt at ease with her.

“Hyomin please feel at home.” Mrs. Hwang said to the new addition to their family.

“Thank you.” Hyomin said. They were having dinner. They can’t help but ntice how prim and proper Hyomin was during dinner.

“Please forgive Tiffany if she is being too loud. That is just how she is… always excited and loud.” Said Mr. Park.

“Appa…” Fany whined. She then looked at Hyomin, “Am I annoying you?”

“Ani… she is… she’s warm. I like it.” Hyomin answered. She was slightly embarrassed by saying too much.

“Yey! How about we sleep together tonight and for the rest of the nights.” It wasn’t a question nor even a suggestion. It was a statement. Not that Hyomin minded. So from that night on, Fany and Hyomin sleep together.

Because of Tiffany’s warm and outgoing personality, they immediately became friends. Fany will often initiate the contact and Hyomin will let her. Sunny notices the closeness between the two. She cannot deny that somehow she felt jealous at how fast the two bonded.

Like Sunny, Fany is the same age as Hyomin. Fany is a freshman in university while Hyomin is far behind from studies. The Hwangs decided that Hyomin tries to go to regular schooling much to Hyomin’s excitement. She took the exam and she will be a freshman in highschool.

“This is exciting! We both get to go to school now! And our schools are just near each other. I will visit you and you can visit me.” Fany exclaimed.

--

Fany volunteered to send Hyomin to her first day of school.

“Fany unnie?” A tall beautiful girl greeted.

“Oh Soojung ah”

“What are you doing here?”

“I’m sending Hyomin to her first day of school. Hyomin, this is Soojung. Soojung, this is Hyomin.”

“Hello”

“Hi”

“Look you are both on the same class. Will you look after our Hyominnie?” Fany asked the younger Jung.

“You’re treating me like a kid.” Hyomin whined to Fany.

“Aniyo. I’m treating you like my baby.” Fany teased. She kissed Hyomin on the cheek. “Be good ok?” She said one last time before leaving.

“I’ve never seen Fany unnie like that.” Krystal said to Hyomin.

“She’s always like that especially at home.” Hyomin said.

It was like a breath of fresh air how Krystal treats her like a classmate. Sunny is always over protective or her. And Tiffany is… Tiffany.

Krystal has heard rumors about having a classmate who is the same age as her unnie. Rumors spread like wildfire even when the first day of school hasn’t started yet. She was surprised to find out that it was Hyomin. She would have never guessed because of her young looks and innocence. This made Krystal want to prtect Hyomin against school bullies. Afterall she is known as the new ice princess next to her sister who has graduated. So no one would dare cross her.

She enjoys Hyomin’s company and so did Hyomin. She would tell the Hwangs how her school was over dinner. And she would narrate the exact same thing to Sunny. Tiffany is happy that Hyomin is doing good and has made friends, however, she can’t help but feel more jealous. First, there was Sunny who is special to Hyomin and now there is Soojung. Sunny on the other hand is happy and proud of Hyomin’s achievement and progress. Like Tiffany, she can’t help but feel jealous. First, Hyomin will always talk about her day with Tiffany and now there’s Tiffany and Soojung. She knew Krystal because of Jessica. Krystal never wanted to be called Soojung but letting Hyomin call her Soojung tells something to both Sunny and Tiffany.

 --

Krystal and Hyomin were walking towards the gate when Hyomin found a girl staring at her.

“Don’t worry it’s just Sica unnie.” Krystal assured when Hyomin stopped walking. She held the older girl’s hand and walked together.

Jessica Jung raised her eyebrow at her sister’s action. Krystal has never been this affectionate to anyone except her family. She wanted to see who this Hyomin was. Of course she has heard about this girl though she wasn’t sure if her sister making friends with this Hyomin is a good idea.

Hyomin was getting intimated by Jessica’s stare.

“Hyomin!” Someone urgently called out.

Hyomin saw Tiffany coming towards them.

“Are you ok?” Fany asked worriedly. She saw Jessica from afar and it looks like the Sica was intimidating or bullying Hyomin.

“You make it seem like I hurt her or something.” Sica smugged.

“From the looks of it…”

“Fany” “Unnie” Krystal and Hyomin stopped the confrontation that was about to happen.  

“Let’s go Hyomin.” Fany said while pulling Hyomin.

“Let’s go Krystal.” Sica said while pulling her sister.

“Fany, who is she?” Hyomin asked when Fany has calmed down.

“Someone I used to know.”

Hyomin tilt her head asking the other to continue.

“She used to be my bestfriend.”

“What happened?”

Fany shrugged her shoulders. “Whatever happens, try to keep away from her.”

--

“Hyomin!” Krystal went to hug Hyomin as soon as the older girl entered the room.

“Soojung”

“I thought you would stop going to school. Are we still friends? I figure you may not want to be friends with me after what happened yesterday.” Krystal spoke nonstop.

“Soojung ah… stop. Nothing has changed between us.”

“Oh thank goodness” The younger girl hugged Hyomin once again.

Hyomin has been used to this kind of skinship mostly because of Tiffany.

“My sister and Fany unnie used to be bestfriends. They were inseparable. I didn’t know what happened. One day I found out that they are no longer friends. It was sad. I wanted to help but Unnie does not want to talk about it.” Krystal told Hyomin about Fany and Sica. “But I am just glad that we are still friends.”

--

“Soojung, what happened?”

“I just got a call that there was an accident in the school theater and unnie got hurt. I wanted to see how unnie is.”

“I will go with you.”

“Thanks Hyomin.”

They walked to the university across the street. Krystal rushed to her sister who was lying in the clinic. Jessica sprained her ankle. The rest have to continue the rehearsal because the play is in two weeks. At the other corner, Hyomin saw Tiffany being attended by the nurse.

“What happened?” Hyomin asked when she approached Tiffany.

“Hyomin? What are you doing here?” Fany asked startled to find Hyomin in front of her.

“What happened?”

“There was an accident in the theater. One of the props fell down. It’s just a scratch so nothing to worry about.” Tiffany explained. She glanced upon the side where Sica was lying. She wanted t check up on her but she didn’t have the courage. Pride got the best of her. “I need to go back to rehearsal. Do you want to come with me? You can watch me.” Fany offered.

Hyomin wanted to come and watch Fany but she is worried for her friend. “Can I stay here?”

“Yes.” Fany understood that Hyomin is worried for her friend. She too wanted to check on Sica. If only she was braver.

--

Krystal went out to buy food leaving Hyomin to look after Jessica. The other girl didn’t mind since the scary patient was asleep. Sica woke up and was shocked to see Hyomin sitting beside her.

“Why are you here?” She tried to make her voice sound authoritative.

“I came with Soojung. She went out to buy some food.” Hyomin answered.

“Oh”

“I’m glad you are awake.” Jessica and Hyomin turn around to see that it was the school doctor who spoke. “Jessica, you sprained your ankle.”

“When will it heal?”

“Best case scenario is in two weeks.”

“I don’t have two weeks. I have a play in two weeks!”

“There will be plenty of more plays for you in the future. But if you don’t listen to me now, I doubt that you will even get to go to one.”

Jessica gave a small nod in response. It was too much for her. The play was important to her. It was the only thing she has. And now she lost it. She didn’t realize that she was crying. She never cried in front of anybody. Everybody expects her to be strong because of her personality. Deep inside she is weak and scared to lose everything. She didn’t realize that she was crying in front of Hyomin.

She felt someone tapped her shoulders. She looked up to see Hyomin. Sica looked away embarrassed that she was crying in front of a stranger. Suddenly she was enveloped into a hug. She was startled.

 

It was the first time Hyomin has ever initiated a hug.

 

Hyomin wiped Sica’s tears and kissed her forehead. “I am here if you want me to.”

It was the first time Hyomin has ever initiated a kiss.

It was the first time Hyomin has ever felt needed by someone.

 

It was the first time Sica has been vulnerable in front of someone.

It was the first time Sica cried in front of someone.

It was the first time Sica has heard those words from someone.

 

Jessica hugged Hyomin tightly and cried.

--

“So we are the same age?” Sica asked Hyomin. After she calmed down, they decided to have a chat.

“Yes.”

“Soojung is your bestfriend?”

“Yes. She is always there for me.”

“You are older than her. You should be the one looking after her.”

“Is that so? Then from now on I will look after Soojung.”

“Only Soojung? What about me?” You hugged me and kissed me. You made me depend on you. You should take responsibility.

“You are older than me so you should look after me.”

“I’m injured.” Sica said pouting.

“Then I will look after you until you feel much better.”

Jessica smiled. “I like that.”

--

“Soojung?” Hyomin asked surprised and confused to see her friend.

The girl named Soojung just smiled and skipped towards the confused girl.

“What are you doing here?”

“I’m going to the fieldtrip.”

“I thought you don’t like to go to this kind of school events. You said that it’s lame.”

“I figure that since you are going then it will not be lame anymore.”

“You make it sound like you are going just because of me.”

Yes! I woke up early and decided to go to this stupid fieldtrip because of you. I want to be with you. I don’t want anyone else seating next to you. And this is the time I can spend the whole weekend with you alone without Fany unnie or Sica unnie. “Wouldn’t it be more fun that we are together?”

“You are right”

“Hyomin!” Someone called out interrupting Soojung’s perfect morning.

“Fany unnie?”

“Fany?”

Tiffany rushed to the two and stopped to catch her breath. “Whew I thought I won’t be able to make it.”

“You’re joining us?”

“Neh. I volunteered as one of the guardians.” Tiffany said proudly. “For extra credit.” She lied to make an excuse. The truth is she wanted to spend the weekend with Hyomin. She does not like the idea of Hyomin spending the whole trip with Krystal alone.

“Extra credit huh?” Krystal scoffed. She knew that it was just a lame excuse. Just when she thought she can have Hyomin alone for the weekend… Tiffany has to ruin it.

They were all going inside the bus when…

“Hey wait for me!” Someone too familiar called out. They almost not recognized her because it was early in the morning and she was running.

“Jessica?!”

“Unnie?”

Hyomin went to Jessica and asked, “How is your leg?”

“It’s better now.”

“Don’t tell me you volunteered for extra credit?” Hyomin asked.

“Ummm… yeah for extra credit.” She mentally thanked Hyomin for feeding her an excuse.

Both Krystal and Tiffany rolled their eyes.

Oh my gosh… these two are so persistent!

She even used my own excuse!

--

On their way back from the fieldtrip everyone was sleeping.

After the incident in the theater, Krystal and Jessica now had a better relationship.

During the fieldtrip, Jessica and Tiffany started talking to each other. More like bickering. The two volunteered as guardians or chaperones but everyone knows that is not true since the two only stayed with Hyomin. Still they are no longer avoiding each other. Who knows maybe it’s the start for them to repatch their friendship.

“Okay everyone! We are here!” The moderator announced.

“Yey!”

The four walked out of the bus feeling much better.

Until…

“Hyomin!”

Everyone stopped at their tracks. They were discussing or more like arguing who will take Hyomin home.

“Sunny?”

The girl named Sunny flashed her biggest smile and ran towards the girl named Hyomin.

“What are you doing here?”

“Don’t you want me here?” Sunny asked using excessive aegyo. Too excessive for everyone’s liking.

“I do. I am just surprise to see you. I thought you are studying…”

Hyomin didn’t get to finish what she has to say because Sunny hugged her so tightly. “I miss you. That’s why I am here.”

The truth is Sunny doesn’t like how Hyomin is getting too close to Tiffany, Krystal and Jessica. That is why she decided to visit even after just 4 months. She planned to visit Hyomin as much as possible. When she learned that the three went to the fieldtrip with Hyomin, she immediately went here to meet Hyomin. (and take her away from those three).

“Hyomin, I’ll take you home.” Sunny offered.

“No, get in line Sunny. I’m happy that you are back but Hyomin is going home with me. It has been decided” Fany interjected.

“Nothing has been decided yet. Hyomin and I are still going to check out that dimsum restaurant.” Krystal argued.

“Then I will go with you since I am your sister.” Jessica invited herself.

“How about we all go together?” Hyomin suggested. The four were about to refuse when Hyomin unintentionally used her charms.

“Sunny ah?” Hyomin called sweetly making the girl named Sunny blushed and nod. (The three were slightly jealous and Sunny just gave them a smirk)

 “Fany ah” Hyomin called while holding one of Fany’s hand. Tiffany moved her face closer to Hyomin, gave her siganature eye smile and nodded. (Now it was Tiffany’s turn to smirk.)

“Sica? Sica…” Jessica was not giving any response. Hyomin went closer and held her two hands and look straight to her eyes. “Sica?” Jessica couldn’t hold it any longer so she smiled and said, “Fine”. Everybody knows that Jessica is an actress too good of an actress so they wouldn’t fall for her act. (Of course Jessica smirked at the rest)

“Baby Soojung!” Hyomin exclaimed and gave Soojung a tight backhug.

The three’s aura darkened… Everyone in that area can feel the drop in temperature.

Baby Soojung????!??? They all thought.

The certain Baby Soojung just ignored them and enjoyed the backhug from Hyomin. Cherising the moment.

 

They walked out together all wearing smiles. No one talked about how it happened. When they all started to talk to each other again. What’s important is that things are better now.

Maybe no one has realized or maybe they just refuse to notice it but things had changed… and it was for the better.

One thing they are sure of is that things got better after they met Hyomin.

Hyomin who thought that darkness was her only company, has now embraced the light, the warmth, strength and love.