Laughing Couple

Hearts A(LINE)d

 

The room was filled to the brim with sound. People talking, paper crinkling, Jimin practicing his high notes... A situation that could be easily described as pure chaos. The commotion was significant enough that Sohee started to feel uncomfortable as Hoseok was only casually sitting on the sofa and not joining with the riot happening beyond the square screen of his phone. 

"Are you sure you don't need to be anywhere else?"

"What?" Hoseok's dislike of wearing earphones when video-calling caused her voice to be drowned with his more dominate surroundings.

"ARE YOU SURE YOU D- you know what, forget it." Sohee was tired of repeating useless questions. The day was nearing its end that she'd rather safe her shouts for when a more urgent situation entailed. Besides, she was sitting in a considerably populated train carriage and she was starting to feel that people around her were getting annoyed with her loud voice.

"Yeah, so he stumbled on all those cables, you know how annoying those were right?"

"Right," she nodded to the continuation of Hoseok’s retelling of Namjoon's particularly bad day, which was filled with a long series of unfortunate events.  

"Landed right on his knees. Seemed painful, but! He immediately jumped like it was no biggie… Only to hit his head on the big light flap thingy, you know?" He put his hand at the side of his ears and moved it back and forth in an effort to convey to Sohee what item he had in mind. It was particularly tricky but she did get it in the end, after a moment of amused laughter that clearly said 'what the hell are you doing?'.

"He was looking especially embarrassed by then and was like, trying hard not to make a bigger mess out of himself by rounding us all up to report to the head PD right? But the-" 

"STOP TALKING ABOUT IT GOD DAMMIT!" His microphone caught a faint shout from the distance and Sohee couldn't help but giggle, imagining the face of a furiously embarrassed Namjoon in a room full of people, which, if she knew him correctly, must’ve look so pink now. Seeing that Hoseok's phone was not taken away from him and a garbled speech of 'don't believe him, it was all a lie!' was not delivered meant that Namjoon probably was held back by a pack of equally amused boys.

"Ignore him," Hoseok flapped his hands away, dismissing the muffled rants in the back and continuing on his heated storytelling. "So! He rounded us up and told us to greet the production team right?" 

By this moment, his laughter had bloomed so big that he couldn't even squeeze a word out before being cut by a snicker. 

Sohee already felt so bad for Namjoon but she found herself unable to fight the lure of his contagious laughter. 

"Stop laughing and finish the story already!" Sohee demanded, because she couldn't hold this simmering laughter in her stomach any longer.

"He... He... He yelled... He yelled the wrong name!" 

Sohee didn't even fully understand who the hell Hoseok was referring to, but that didn't stop them from going down in a fit of tear stained laughter.

“A… And then, and then, he began to… Stutter so bad and tried to look cool and stuff and he tried to call me forward and…"

“He yelled the wrong name again?!”

“YES!” 

It was truly not something to be laughed at. It wasn't even funny! Poor guy must’ve wished for the earth to split open right under his feet and let himself be detonated to bits on the stream of boiling magma. But again, Sohee couldn’t help it. Not even when half of the commuters were side eyeing her like she was wacko. She must’ve looked like one too, cackling and slapping her thigh while her eyes were wet with tears. 

You know the theory that you laugh easier when you’re around people that you like, even when their sense of humor is hard to understand at best?

 

It’s true.