Chapter: 1

Fate: The Breaking Point
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Alex's POV)


I sat in the car waiting to be dropped off at my new workplace or school, Woolim High School. My father had volunteered to drop me off since it was my first time going to school. It has only been a few days since my father has given me the task of being an undercover student. I turned to look at him as he looks out the road, a bit tense. He has a slightly worried and anxious expression on his face. I chuckled quietly to myself because it's ironic how he's the one that is nervous. Shouldn’t I be the one? I faced away from him and recalled the day when he first gave me the task.


(Flashback)


"Alex," my father said, also known as Lee Jungyeop, "Come here to my office. Your new case has been decided."

After wrapping up from my precious case, I stood up and entered my father's office. He was the president of the CIA in South Korea, and I was trained to follow his footsteps. When I was young, I was home-schooled 13 hours a day with little to no breaks at all. It included all the subjects needed to learn, ranging from elementary school to the materials learned in college. Training how to attack and defend was also included along with necessary medical practices, such as CPR. My current age is 17, supposedly a junior in high school. All the things regular high school students of this age are learning was learnt already when I was 10 years of age.


I closed the door after I entered and sat on one of the chairs in front of his desk. "What is it?" I asked in a monotone dialogue, showing disinterest. At first, many of the cases I got were exciting, thrilling, and frightening all at once. It would be a lie if I said I did not enjoy it. But, after years of working on these cases, I have realized that this is just a continuous cycle of investigating, violence, and paperwork, A LOT of paperwork. They were either murder cases, , robbery, assaults, drugs, etc. I could go on and on. At the end, I just did the best I could, and tried to enjoy it as much as possible, although it has lost its interest in me.


"You should look forward to this case son," my father chuckled, "I know that most cases you have had so far were not appealing right?"


I smiled and nodded, "You know me so well father, so make this one a good one please."


He chuckled some more. Usually, in front of other colleagues, we would maintain a professional relationship, but during times when we are the only ones around, we would lose the tension.


"Well..." he said, trying to make it sound interesting, "This case requires you to go undercover."


"Undercover?" I asked raising my left eyebrow and he nodded.


"An undercover as a high school student at Woolim High School." he said and I cringed my face.


"A high school student?" I said a bit too loud, "But they're disrespectful and immature and…”


My father, on instinct, grabbed his 3 meter stick and whacked my head with it.


"Yah," he tried to make himself sound serious, "You are immature and disrespectful also. Not to even mention your age..."


I pouted while rubbing my head, trying to ease the pain. I mean, it would be interesting with becoming a high school student and all, but after seeing how reckless they are, I don’t even want to be part of their world. I rather die filling out all the paperwork for each case then get myself involved in the high school life.


"But.. but.." I hesitated and he shook his head in disapproval.


"Since when did you become so rebellious?" he asked in a teasing tone, "Should we go back to the old..."


"NO," I shouted again and earned another whack, "Oww," I whined immediately and started rubbing the same spot again. When I was still training, my father and trainer may have been a bit harsh on me in order for me to focus. It did not damage me that badly though because my father will sometimes show his concern for me, and my mother would also lecture him from time to time. I guess they did just enough discipline for me to focus and pay attention. Now, he showers me with more love, and we joke around more, behind the scenes of course, but he always manage to lecture me for staying on top of my game.


"Okay," he said, putting the stick away, "we'll start on the case. I know that this may have not been your first choice as a high school student, but at least you'll experience a bit of your high school life before becoming an adult."


"But.." I argued, "I am an adult."


My father, while getting out my file, stopped to look at me and scoffed.


"Exactly how old were you again?" he asked and I sighed in defeat.


"Okay," I sighed, "But I'll tell you that I am not interested to find out what the high school experience is like."


My father scoffed again and said, "Oh, I'm pretty sure something will catch your attention. Like maybe girls? Or boys?”


"Dad," I whined and he chuckled.


"Okay," he said smiling, "Let's get back on topic. The main focus here is drugs."


Before I could even my mouth to protest, my father got to me, "And I know it's drugs again, but this is a pretty serious case. I mean all the cases I assign are already serious itself, but this case involved exchanging drugs between students."


"Students?" I asked and he nodded. He put on his serious face before continuing, "Yeah, there is a student there that sells drugs to students and adults, inside and outside of school. We suspect that he might be working for a bigger organization, but that is just our suspicion."


I nodded, signaling him to continue, "So, basically, you have to go in as an undercover student, find the student, try to prove our suspicion, and arrest every single one of them that were involved. But it doesn’t mean that this will only be your job. As an agent, you will also have to try and find the clients outside of school, and try to persuade them into telling you who and what is the organization or student that is selling the drugs to them."


"So," I asked, "How long do you expect this to take?"


"I don’t know," my father said honestly, "It might take you a few as a month to the whole year. This case was reported from one of the friends of a clients that bought the drugs. He managed to tell us that a student from Woolim High School is selling drugs to his friend but he did not know the specific details of who it was. We had the police force quietly sneak into their school while everyone was having an assembly to distract the students, and it was true. We found drugs inside the bags of a few students. We had them questioned, but they refused to tell us anything. To add in, they were also the rich ones, so they could bail themselves out easily. At the end, the police decided to give this matter to us at hand because they didn’t want to cause a commotion. Obviously, the parent of the students will protest, so they decided to leave the students alone, but they are constantly and secretly being on check."


"Wait," I said, trying to comprehend all of this information, "Is it only at school, when you follow the students with the drugs?"


"Of course not," my father said, “We follow them home too, but that's it. So far, there has been no suspicious activity.”


“How exactly are you guys checking or secretly observing the students?” I asked.


“Oh,” my father said as if I hit something that made him realize what he was suppose to tell me. He can be a bit forgetful sometimes, “You will have colleagues there. Just like you, they have been trained at a young age, but they went to school regularly. One of them is the same age as you and the other is a year old

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter