Finale

Light Up Shoes

a/n there's a little swearing btw not major but just a heads up 

 

"Taekwoon? Is that your name? Taekwoonie?" Hakyeon sang. 

Taekwoon looked up quietly, almost fearful of the child that was interrupting his block castle on the kindergarten floor. 

"Yes." he said, busying himself once more by stacking a red block on top of his impressive tower. 

"Oh! Okay! Do you want to see my shoes? Look, they light up! And they have cars on the side, aren't they cool?" Hakyeon stomped on the ground, causing Taekwoon's massive tower of squishy blocks to tumble down. The both of them looked at the mess in awe, and Taekwoon felt tears creep up to his eyes. 

"I'm sorry!" Hakyeon shrieked, sitting down in attempt to recollect the fallen blocks. 

"It's okay," Taekwoon managed to choke out. His mother always told him to forgive someone if they apologized, and he had promised not to cry on the first day of school. 

"Do you wanna play a game?" Hakyeon suggested. Before he gave Taekwoon a chance to reply, he immediately shot to an explanation of his idea.

"Okay, so my sister taught me this. You say the first number, and then I say the next. You have to clap on three, six, and nine," Hakyeon explained. Taekwoon smiled since he was familiar with the game, but he always lost when he played with his sisters. 

"Can we go slow though?" Taekwoon asked, tugging at the sleeves of his red shirt. He immediately let go, remembering that his mother had warned him that the sleeves will become too long. 

"Sure! I can count until 100 though, watch out Taekwoonie!!" 

 

--

It was fun to know somebody like Hakyeon; Taekwoon wasn't very good at making friends, and he nearly cried himself to sleep when he and Hakyeon were split into different classes in first grade. 

"TAEK. WOON. AHHHHH!!!!!!!" Hakyeon screamed from the other side of the playground. By the time Taekwoon turned around, Hakyeon was sprinting like naruto to his side. 

"Do I look like a ninja? Do I? Do I?" Hakyeon giggled. Taekwoon smiled in relief to see that nothing would seem to change. 

--

It was Taekwoon's birthday; his one wish in first grade was to have a party. He wanted to invite Hakyeon and his sisters only. When he told his mother, she smiled and nodded. 

"Only us? Taekwoonie, I've been to so many birthday parties, and it's always fun because there are lots of people! Don't you want to invite others?" Hakyeon asked. 

Taekwoon let his eyes drop to the ground. He knew Hakyeon was going to think it was lame, he just didn't expect Hakyeon would straight up tell him so. 

"You don't need to come if you don't want to," Taekwoon mumbled, kicking a non-existent rock on the pavement. Hakyeon had been to LOTS of birthday parties, while Taekwoon had been to close to none. Hakyeon was just popular like that. A popular kid wouldn't want to go to a birthday party of someone like Taekwoon's. 

"Don't want to? Of course I want to come! You're my best friend! I'm even going to get you a present. It'll be the best present ever!" Hakyeon giggled. 

Taekwoon bit his lip and fumbled around for something in his pocket. 

"Here," he said simply, giving Hakyeon a crumpled piece of paper. 

Opening it excitedly, Hakyeon read the content over quickly (he was proud to be known for liking to read). Taekwoon's messy blue scribbles of something about Taekwoon's house and his address and a small picture of what seemed to be Hakyeon in red crayon and Taekwoon in green. They were poorly drawn as a soccer ball was seen within blends of colors that were presumably leaves. 

Hakyeon loved it. 

"Thanks, it's going to be great!" 

--

"Mom, when is Hakyeon going to get here?" Taekwoon tugged at his mother's backside. 

"He should be soon honey. Here, do you want to go see how your sisters are doing with decorations?" his mother said soothingly and lightly pushed him towards the living room. Despite his sisters always being quite salty towards him, they seemed to have changed their mind for the occasion. "because it's his birthday" they would say while rolling their eyes. 

"At least he's still cute. Wait until puberty and lots of gross stuff after," his eldest sister said. 

"What's puberty?" Taekwoon echoed the unfamiliar word, silencing his sisters to continue blowing balloons. 

It was 4:30 and there was still no sign of Hakyeon. 

"Maybe he had something to do. I'm sure he's going to come" his mother said assuringly. Taekwoon clutched his lion doll in his arms. 

"What happens if he doesn't come?" Taekwoon asked worriedly, as tears began to rim his eyes. It was his birthday! He didn't deserve being alone on his birthday. 

"Taekwoon, look outside. Looks like you two can't play soccer later, because it's raining pretty hard" one of his sisters said. Taekwoon hurried as fast as his legs could carry him to the window, as he tiptoed to just peek over the windowsill to see raindrops heavily dropping from the gray sky. 

Crestfallen, Taekwoon trudged back to the sofa. 

"Hey, at least you two can still watch the new episode of pororo, right? And have cake and play hide and seek!" his mother tried to cheer him up. 

"Hide and seek inside is boring," Taekwoon mumbled. 

It was already 6:00 and Taekwoon had been crying for an hour.

"He was supposed to be here two hours ago," his sisters whispered frantically. His mother was trying to save the situation as best to her ability. 

"Taekwoon! How about we have some dinner? You wanted chicken and pizza right? What about eating that now?" his mother said brightly. 

"I'm not hungry. I'm going to bed," Taekwoon sniffled and began to make his way to the staircase. 

"But you're going to miss dinner!" his mother called. Taekwoon remained silent. 

"But you're going to miss the new episode of pororo!" his mother called again. Taekwoon stopped momentarily; he had been waiting for the episode for a week. But he wanted to watch it with Hakyeon. 

With the thought of Hakyeon, Taekwoon ran up the stairs and closed his door quietly. 

He jumped into his bed and took his big banana stuffy that his dad had bought him last year in Japan. It was a secret that he slept with it at night, even his sisters or parents didn't know. Only Hakyeon knew, since he admitted first that he needed to sleep with a nightlight or else he would get scared. 

Taekwoon cried, but not big ugly wails. He wasn't the type to waste energy on hiccuping and looking terrible. He sobbed softly into his banana doll, as he curled up into a ball. 

He checked the time on his nightstand, and the numbers 12:30 blinked red through the darkness. 12:30? Taekwoon shot up and realized his light had been shut off. He had fallen asleep. 

And Hakyeon didn't come. 

At all. 

-- 

"I just had a call from Hakyeon's mother," Taekwoon's mom sighed as she leaned against a chair. His sister looked up from her computer to the news. 

"Well, yea? He just ditched Taekwoon. We kind of need an explanation for this?" she said exasperatedly. As much as she hated her brother, leaving him to cry heartbroken in his room angered her. 

"Hakyeon broke his leg. They were in the emergency for the night, and apparently he fell when he was running home," his mother explained. 

"Broke his leg? Wow,"

"Yea. According to his mom, he was crying through the whole thing and kept saying 'I'm missing Taekwoonie's party' over and over again," his mother smiled. 

"I ship them yo. Watch them get married," Taekwoon's eldest sister came in with a steaming mug of coffee. 

"Excuse me, no coffee this late missy. I need that instead," his mother growled and snatched the cup of heaven before drinking half of it. 

"Tch. Great. Now I'm going to pull an all-nighter on half a cup of coffee instead," she snorted. 

-- 

"TAEK. WOON. IEEE" Taekwoon heard Hakyeon's voice during recess. He didn't want to turn around. He didn't show up to his party. 

"TAEKWOON!!!" a shriek came with a sound of someone falling. Taekwoon turned around in alarm, to see Hakyeon sprawled across the grass with crutches beside him. 

"Oh my goodness," Hakyeon began to blabber as he got up himself, leaning to the left due to his right foot being stuck in a cast. 

"You.. What happened?" Taekwoon was too shocked to accuse him of not showing up previously. 

"I fell yesterday! I'm so sorry I missed your party.. I really wanted to go and I even asked the nurse but she was being.. Stupid," Hakyeon said with a frown. Taekwoon gasped. 

"You said the s-word," Taekwoon said in a barely audible voice. 

"Whatever. Do you want to come over today? We can't play soccer though," he looked sadly down at his leg. Taekwoon smiled shyly. 

"Did you catch yesterday's episode of pororo?" 

 

--

"Gay," Hakyeon whispered, after Taekwoon cornered him into his work desk. The elder had been ignoring him for a good three days after finals was over, and Taekwoon knew something was wrong when Hakyeon didn't cling to him complaining about high school workloads like before. 

"I'm gay Taekwoon. I'm not even bi. I'm gay," Hakyeon muttered softly. 

"So?" Taekwoon's cold stare bore through Hakyeon's fragile state. 

"I'm a , don't you understand? I prefer men with beautiful pecs and abs over girls with cleavage. Gay excites me more than that one video we agreed was the best a year ago. Do you not understand?!" Hakyeon raised his voice. Taekwoon saw Hakyeon's face go red; a sign of tears. 

"So?" Taekwoon asked again. 

"Why do you think I've been avoiding you? Aren't you disgusted? Aren't you scared?" Hakyeon asked exasperatedly. 

"I've known you for more than ten years Hakyeon. Why would I be scared of someone who can't even sleep without a night light," 

Although Taekwoon scoffed, he was too worried to actually be shocked in the first place, because Hakyeon had just came out to him nearly in tears. How long had he been thinking like this? How frustrated was he before he came to Taekwoon? Hakyeon always put so much pressure on himself, and blamed himself for practically anything that wasn't his fault. 

Taekwoon wasn't sure what instincts he was acting on, but he went to immediately pull Hakyeon into a hug. 

"Does this.. Excite you?" he whispered, with immediate regret. Who even asks that? 

Hakyeon laughed low and returned the hug. But Taekwoon could tell he was crying. 

"No. The love you have for me is a different type of love from what people want from their boyfriends," Hakyeon buried his face into Taekwoon's shoulder. 

--

"Hey, look at what I found," Taekwoon had been looking through Hakyeon's treasure chest from elementary school, with the orders to 'find something vintage that would make him look good in a new profile picture.'

"What. A toy airplane? I can use that," 

"No. A letter," 

"Dear Taekwoonie. 

Happy birthday! Thanks for awlays being my bestest freind. I love plaiying soccer with you, even if you awlays win. Being in mrs. Kim's class without you is sooooo boari-" Taekwoon read out loud before breaking into laughter. 

"So you were known to be a fast reader? Why not a horrible speller?" he laughed as Hakyeon's face went red. 

"Well excuse me. I was grade 1 and I think how I spelled was pretty cute. So if you can shut-" 

"boaring. Some kids in my class tak about you. Theiy saiy stuffs like Taekwoon's such a s-word. But! Don't worry! I awlays tell them that they are a s-word, and how you are my bestest freind on Erth." Taekwoon's voice began to fade away. Hakyeon had obviously put a lot of time and thought into the poorly made card. The smudges of blue ink showed the remains of Hakyeon's hand sweat, and small crumpled of the paper were left by Hakyeon applying too much pressure on the pen. 

"I love plaiying games with you. It's so much fun! You shoud smile more too taekwoonie. My mom tells me that anjels are very beuteful. I think you look beuteful when you smile too taekwoonie. Are you an anjel?" Taekwoon said in a hushed voice. Hakyeon had called him beautiful. Beautiful

"You thought I was an angel?" Taekwoon whispered. 

"Well, kind of. Wow, wait a second, just because I declare I'm into guys doesn't automatically mean I like you Taekwoon. You're my best friend forever," Hakyeon began to blabber but Taekwoon couldn't hear him. He was too busy dealing with the utmost painful stabs that Hakyeon's words were taking at his heart. 

"I love you Taekwoonie! From, Hakyeon" he finished reading to himself. 

"I love you too," Taekwoon said, almost inaudibly. It was more for himself but he swore he saw Hakyeon flinch. 

-- 

"ok, I have to admit, I heard that, and I was so happy back then. You have no ing idea," Hakyeon said, leaning against the backboard of the bed. Taekwoon lay beside him on his phone, liking pictures on instagram of kittens and cakes. 

"Remember when you broke your leg?" Taekwoon said softly. 

Hakyeon twirled his new ring on his finger; a silver band with fine embroidery around it. Nothing fancy to start with, but they both weren't very rich anyways. 

"Yea, I cried so much at the ER, because I was missing your birthday party," Hakyeon laughed. 

"Hey, I was heartbroken. That was too much for me in first grade," Taekwoon muttered. 

"Yah, Taekwoonie," Hakyeon said, sitting up properly. Taekwoon looked over. 

"Can you believe we met 20 years ago?" Hakyeon looked a little dazed. 

"10 years of best friends, 3 of whatever the happened then, 2 years of best friends again, and 5 years of dating," Taekwoon recited. Hakyeon always said that before they went to sleep. 

"The 5 years of dating ended now though," Hakyeon dropped his voice to a whisper. 

It was Taekwoon's turn to sit up. "Remember when we had our first kiss? Under the bug-infested tree in your back yard?" Taekwoon said softly. 

"Are we talking romantic now? Remember when we first ed and you practically kept begging for my-" Hakyeon smirked when Taekwoon hit him. 

"I don't even get why I love you," Taekwoon said. 

"Because I'm adorable, and charming, and cute and funny and-" Taekwoon cut him off again, but with his lips this time, as he silenced Hakyeon in a soothing kiss. "I can't wait until we're official this afternoon" Hakyeon smiled against Taekwoon's lips. 

 

 

 

It wasn't soon until they were both in their respectively white suits (Hakyeon had almost convinced Taekwoon to wear a pink one) as they poured wine and ate cake in order to celebrate their marriage. There was a dance break by Wonsik and Hakyeon, and Taekwoon almost died of embarrassment when his 'husband' began to twerk. 

"I demand a divorce," he said half-heartedly, watching Hakyeon bounce to his seat. "Divorce? You'll get a record for getting divorced the quickest. It's been like, 4 hours man," Hakyeon said, kissing Taekwoon's cheek affectionately. A couple of whoops were heard in the back, and more were added on when Taekwoon covered his lips over Hakyeon's. 

"Save it for the honeymoon!" somebody shouted, causing everyone to laugh. 

"I knew they were going to get together in the end," Taekwoon's mother said as she took a dainty bite from her cake. 

"Unnie's been saying they'd get married for years!" his sister said. 

"I ing called it." 

 

 

 

A/N so like I know I haven't been updating SN2.0 but I had an idea for this and I just stuck to it and I had to finish it for enclosure, yenno? 

I actually kinda like how this turned out, I took this from the vixx prompt generator awhile ago, and yea it was fun. 

 

Thank you ^^