Chapter 1

Wicked ~ 2nd Arc of Cursed Series~

"Jung Yunho, the supposed-to-be emotionless soldier, trained to protect his prince beyond reason, yet he couldn't fight his prince's warmness that kept him alive."

Chapter 1

[Spring 1461]

Cool breeze blew across the palace garden and made soft touch on ten years old prince’s cheek. He smiled as he ran and jumped around following the wind. This was one of rare occasion he managed to sneak out from his room because he didn’t have any lesson. Being first prince came with a lot of responsibility as he someday would rule replacing his father, the current emperor.

“Prince Jaejoong,” one of his father’s general called his name. The prince sighed as he braced himself; he would probably end up in bruise again today after fighting lesson. The only reason the general had called him was for sword or bow lesson after all.

“The emperor gave you a present for your sword play improvement,” the general spoke as Jaejoong’s eyes lightened up in excitement; he loved presents,” This’s Yunho. He’ll be your playmate and he will protect you from now on. He’ll be your personal guard.”

Jaejoong frowned at a boy in front of him. They’re about at the same age and Jaejoong wondered if the boy’s skill was that good since the general said he would protect Jaejoong. Deciding to test it, Jaejoong took his wooden sword and asked for a duel with the boy.

“Are you sure, my prince?” Yunho asked in most polite way as he bowed. Jaejoong actually didn’t like it at all. He had always wanted a playmate, even though he had his little brother. Now he got one but the boy looked so stiff like a soldier.

“If I win, you’ll have to call me by my name!” Jaejoong declared as they began to march on their wooden sword dance. That was one of many decisions Jaejoong regretted later on as he ended up in bruise like he expected before. Jung Yunho’s skill was beyond normal boy his age and it amazed Jaejoong.

“My prince! I’m so sorry,” Yunho lowered his head on the ground when Jaejoong fell on his . It hurt, Jaejoong had to admit, but what hurt more was his heart. He hated how Yunho acted like Jaejoong was a higher existence than him.

“Yunho!” Jaejoong called the name as the other boy flinched, afraid he had really hurt his prince,” If you really feel bad, you’ll call me Jaejoong from now on, no more ‘my prince’!”

Yunho got his face up from the ground as he looked at Jaejoong dumbfound. He wondered what he had done wrong and why would the prince asked him to do such inappropriate thing. He couldn’t help but to oblige though.

“…Jaejoong…I’m sorry,” Yunho spoke the name as he felt something warm blossomed inside his heart. No, Yunho shouldn’t feel anything; he was trained to be emotionless from birth and his purpose in this life was to protect his prince. It was simple and Yunho shouldn’t want anything more, but his desire began to grow everyday as he spent time with Jaejoong. Yunho wondered if what he had with Jaejoong could be called ‘friendship’ but he was too low to be a prince’s friend. Yunho knew his status and he was mere soldier, he couldn’t wish for such impossible thing.

[Autumn 1466]

Jaejoong and Yunho became inseparable, even the second prince began to get jealous at Yunho to spend most of the time with Jaejoong. Prince Junsu always teased Yunho in every chance he got. Yunho got used to it, it wasn’t that bad, and somehow Yunho managed to think it was also a special bond he had developed with Junsu. Again, Yunho realized he had failed his mission, he began to feel again and he didn’t know if he wanted it to stop.

“Jaejoong ah, I’m going to the front line,” fifteen years old Yunho said one day when the kingdom was having a war with another kingdom next to theirs. Jaejoong was beyond surprise.

“Yunnie!” Jaejoong called Yunho’s nickname, which Yunho loved so much,” You’re my guard; you’re supposed to be next to me every time.”

“But the situation this time isn’t really on our favor. I need to protect our kingdom in order to protect you, Jaejoong ah,” Yunho stated the fact as Jaejoong lost the debate. Actually, Yunho wanted to run away from everything. He was afraid to feel and being near Jaejoong and Junsu made him felt thing he wasn’t supposed to feel.

Jaejoong was so afraid and he didn’t want to let Yunho go. Yet, Yunho had become one of important generals thanks to his talent. Even the emperor asked for his assistance and Jaejoong couldn’t be selfish. So with heavy heart, Jaejoong sent Yunho off to battle field.

“…Promise me you’ll come back?” Jaejoong said before Yunho departed. Yunho nodded softly as he let his prince hugged him. It was warm and Yunho knew it might be the last time he saw and felt his prince. He didn’t plan to die on battle field. But it was war; no one would know what would happen.

[Winter 1467]

It was the second winter and the war had kept going on for over a year. Yunho had not seen his prince at all since he left the capital. The weather had been beyond harsh. It was freezing and their enemy didn’t show any decrease in number. It was like they’re immortal and inhuman. Yunho remembered the first time his sword clashed with the enemy skull. It didn’t kill them; he had to crush them to the bones till they stopped moving. It was like they’re possessed.

Yunho knew he couldn’t give up; he had to fight for his kingdom, for his prince, Jaejoong. He had to make sure the kingdom had future so Jaejoong could someday rule easefully. He knew Jaejoong would be great emperor. His prince was kind and a good person that cared enough for no one like him after all.

Marching forward as his feet stepped on the cold deep snow; Yunho leaded his soldier to crush the enemy fleet. Blood paid by blood and life paid with life, Yunho struggled till his last breathe as he put down the last standing enemy. He was bathed in blood and sweat but he knew it was worth it. It was worth it if he could see Jaejoong’s smile once again.

[Spring 1471]

The long war had finally ended and Yunho managed to protect his kingdom. They won but they had lost a lot of good soldiers. Yunho had almost lost his mind too many times until he lost counts. Jaejoong was the only thought that kept Yunho sane through five-year-war.  

He knew something inside of him had changed. He wasn’t a naïve fifteen years old boy, he had grown into a man; a murderer he had called himself. He knew he had to kill to survive, to protect, but as he killed another soul, he felt part of him died.

As he walked, he could see the capital view and he knew Jaejoong was inside, safe and sound. He had been dying to meet his prince, his friend, if he could call him that. Yet, he was also afraid if he had lost his place beside his prince. If there’s a metaphor, Jaejoong was light that guided people and Yunho was darkness that swallowed people into nothingness. Smiling in the irony, Yunho closed his eyes. He had done thinking, he would just let destiny took him.

So he entered the capital and reported his return to the emperor. Only to discover, the emperor had changed dramatically, like it wasn’t him anymore. He was drowned in alcohol and women. The wise and good emperor he had known was long gone and the atmosphere inside the palace choked him; it reminded him of battle field, the death and depression.

Yunho ran into Jaejoong’s quarter as soon as he went out of the condemned room. He searched for Jaejoong and saw his figure, sitting on the garden looking at the sky. Yunho was about to call for his prince but nothing came out from his mouth. He stayed staring at Jaejoong until the prince turned back and ran into him.

“Yunnie!!!” Jaejoong’s happy voice brought life back to Yunho’s body. He had been lifeless killing machine for so long until he had forgotten such warmness existed. Yunho had done running away; he would be next to Jaejoong from now on.

“You’re back! I can’t believe you’re finally back,” Jaejoong cried softly as he buried his face on Yunho’s shoulder,” I miss you so much. You have no idea how much I miss you…”

“I miss you too, Jaejoong ah,” Yunho said as he choked on his tears; he never knew he could cry like this. They laughed as they wiped each other’s tears. Yunho was showered in bliss so it took his few seconds to realize the blue mark on Jaejoong’s wrist.

“Jae, what is this? Who hurt you?!” Yunho asked as his blood boiled; Jaejoong bit his lips as he shook his head. Jaejoong begged Yunho to not ask anything anymore and just stayed with him. Yunho couldn’t refuse Jaejoong’s broken plea as he held him tightly. That’s the moment Yunho regretted he had left Jaejoong alone. He was supposed to protect Jaejoong and he failed. Yunho swore he would let the one who hurt his precious prince paid a thousand times worst.

---------------------------------------------
P.S. The first 4 chapters will tell us how Jae met all the other four (basically it's telling the story till they're 20 years old)...I think, in timeline story like above, they're all linked and will mainly focused on the four one by one. I hope I'm not making u confused...