Answer

Time

The sky as pure and golden as her, the one she has her eyes upon; everything as wonderful as she is, the one she has swore to love; all the seasons all year round as beautiful, charming and marvellous as the one she has made a promise to; all the people brightly smiling as captivating and warming as the one she has secretly watched upon. However, now, all these presumptions have vanished into thin air as she gazes upon the figure a good, long distance away from her as broken as infinitesimally shattered glass.

She sighs in immense longing and sadness. But, most of all, regret. Memories whir themselves in her head and tears begin welling in her eyes, threatening to fall down her bitter-stricken face. She holds her tears back, turning to look upwards to prevent them from rolling down her face completely.

“If only I could turn back time…” she mumbles as she continues to gaze upon that one person.

Reverie has stricken her and she remains rooted to the spot. She goes right down through memory lane and tears now successfully make their way down her face. But, she makes no attempt in stopping their progress. Instead, she welcomes the soothe they give her – heartbreaking yet comforting.

The moon shines brightly up, and so does the stars. Everything all around is just in order, in their right places, save for the two. The staffs paid no mind for they know the truth about everything, from between two sides, and they just let them be in their own little, personal bubble.

A wail echoes all around and she snaps out of her reverie, pulling her out of memory lane. She winces as she sees that person, so very important to her, crumble to dust and nothingness just like that. Pain shots up her heart and she grasps her chest tight, tears falling nonstop from her eyes but not taking them away from her.

“Yoong… please, stop.” she says in between muffled sobs.

The girl continues to cry, to scream, to let loose all of her pains and grievances and watching from afar, our persona feels just as much pain as her attention’s host. The girl finally lost it and screamed out loud till nothing more came out but muffled sobs barely heard, an empty aura surrounding her, seemingly a black hole of bitterness and heartaches, a void of one’s own self. Heartbreaking and haunting silence followed.

Our persona witnesses it all, with her own two eyes, and she collapses to the ground, unable to bear the sight in front of her, sheer pain flowing up and down her being.

“I’m sorry… I’m so, so sorry…” she chants like a mantra, words that would as if save the girl from utter misery, from the void of emptiness and loneliness and hurt.

Tears hit the ground one after another, ceaselessly dropping themselves unto the concrete, unto the earth. Another void opens up from where our persona is at – a void of massive hurt and regret.

“Yoong… Yoong… Yoona-yah…” she says on and on and on, the name of the girl whom she’s following. “I’m sorry, my little rascal. I’m sorry…”

She turns her gaze unto Yoona and finds her little rascal falling asleep looking a bit gruesome and a lot miserable leaning on the railings of the ride where everything started for them.

“Merry-go-round…” she mumbles as she smiles bitterly.

She slowly gets up from her post and makes her way to Yoona.

Little by little, step by step, she inches closer to her. With every step comes with every memory, with every moment in time – how they met, how they started as friends, became a family, and then ended up as lovers, and apparently, as nothing more than strangers. Tears continue to make their way down her face.

“Everything is still fresh, you know that Yoong?” she says as she walks to Yoona’s side. “When we were still strangers, then became friends and then family with the 7 others, became lovers secretly to others but openly to them, to Taeyeon, Sunny, Tiffany, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Sooyoung, and Seohyun. And then now…”

She pauses nearly at the end of her sentence but still continues to tread on the path leading to Yoona’s side.

“We’re now… nothing.”

She stops at the last word as she’s now standing before the girl.

“Isn’t it ironic Yoong?” she asks the sleeping girl as she sits herself next to her. “How we started as strangers and then ended up as strangers still?”

She laughs bitterly, accompanied by regret and hurt-filled tears.

“Shouldn’t we be ending as something more than lovers, heading towards and living life eternally together and not back to where or what we started as?”

She turns to look again at Yoona and her tears ceaselessly falls.

“I’m sorry… I’m really sorry….”

She then hugs the sleeping Yoona who didn’t even move. She caresses her in her arms and cuddles her as if there’s no more tomorrow (which is quite true in their case). A single tear then escapes Yoona’s eyes involuntarily and for God-only-knows-what concrete reason and explanation, as if she heard and felt the apologies and regret of the one holding her, the one with her.

Stillness followed accompanied by silence. The world seems to have stopped moving, stopped revolving, seemingly locking this moment forever, never letting time makes its flow again. Alas, this is but imagination and wishful thinking. The world didn’t stop, the entire planet didn’t, but their own worlds did.

Suddenly, in the middle of all this momentous happening, a phone rang and made itself known to its owner, in a not so comforting and soothing way. Rather, disturbing.

Quickly, our persona fishes out her phone and checks the caller ID. Yoona moves a little bit, hearing a bit of the fuss, which worried and panicked our persona a bit but the former is still deep in slumber. She then turns to settle the girl to lean on the railing for the meantime as she answers the call.

“Hello…” she begins saying, as she slowly inches away from Yoona.

“Where are you, Jess?” the person from the other line asks.

Hearing her name said like that, Jessica winces as she remembers the memories she’s had with Yoona and the others, the moments when her also American-raised Korean bestfriend, Tiffany, calls her by that name.

Unknowingly to her, she has stuck to her reverie a second too long, which prompted the person on the other end of the line to ask and check.

“Hello, Jess? Are you there? Are you still there? Hello…???”

This brings Jessica back to the present and yanks her out of her zoning out moment.

“Uhh.. y-yes, I’m here.” she stammers as she struggles to compose herself.

“Good, now back to my question – where are you right now?”

The man on the other line bellows in frustration, yet concealed beyond is concern.

“Somewhere down the road.” She replies coolly, not minding the tone of the other party.

The man groans and yells on the phone. Again.

“JUNG JESSICA. AGAIN, WHERE ARE YOU RIGHT NOW?!”

Jessica’s forehead scrunches into a scowl, her brows furrow into a frown and her eyes hold a murderous glare.

“SOMEWHERE YOU’LL NEVER FIND OUT TYLER!” she hisses and spits out as she snaps, then ends the call, not allowing the person on the other end of the line, Tyler Kwon, to even react.

She then holds the bridge of her nose to calm herself down. After a while, she returns her gaze towards Yoona and her face turns soft, no trace of anger or whatsoever emotions coinciding with it yet with traces of sadness and regret.

Seeing Yoona just lying there, leaning on the railing for support, she dials a number on her phone. After a few seconds, she drops the call.

“You’ll be alright. Someone’s coming to pick you up already.”

Tears well up in her eyes and roll down her face once more as she goes back to Yoona’s side and caresses her cheeks and prepares to bid goodbye and so long to her. All the while, smiling bitterly and regretfully, a decision has already been made and sealed in her head.

“Thank you...” she begins to say, “for the time, for this moment. And…”

“I’m sorry…” Jessica says for the nth time and then plants a kiss to Yoona’s forehead.

“Remember that I’ll always love you, no matter what, that I’ll always be there with and for you – in the shadows, silently watching over you. I’m your angel, remember?”

A bitter smile graces her lips while tears stream down her face as she turns to look down as her actions pains her. Yoona’s innocent face pains her. Their current disposition pains her. Everything pains her.

“Love was never a sin, loving was never a crime.” She says to herself as she wipes the last of her tears. “We haven’t done any wrong, we were awfully right.”

She pauses as she gets up and turns back on her heels and faces the direction opposite the person she longs and cares for the most.

“But, I guess, we were just about not right at one point…”

She pauses again for a second before continuing, as if the next few words were a bit too painful for her to utter.

“… my little rascal.”

She starts walking away, slowly disappearing, slowly retreating unto the shadows, not letting herself be fully known to that one person.

Never bothering herself to look back, she continues on walking farther and farther away.

“We never just had the perfect time.”

The wind blows and the leaves rustle – a perfect, starry night. As the wind has come, so has her words have gone – up, up, into the air, along the night sky, carried on to the stars in the heavens above and away from the scene where everything has begun and has faced an end.

“Goodbye, Yoona…”

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Sorry for the late update anyone. I had a lot of stuff to settle this past few days and not to mention I was banned from using the internet at home. *bummer* -.-

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! ^^