Chapter 2 - Return

Unlucky Affair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

We're all vulnerable on the inside

 

SoJin limped slowly back to her room, not bothering to turn on the lights as she went. She tried her best to not put weight on her right ankle but failed miserably as she ended up falling on the wooden floors.

SoJin let out a tear, she had no idea why she was crying, maybe it had something to do with the pain on her leg but she wasn’t sure. She fished for her phone in her pocket and turned it on, she squinted at the bright light for a moment until the loud ringtone broke her thoughts. It was a call from her mom.

The pain on her leg was enough to bear already; she really didn’t want another pain ringing in her ears, or most likely, on her heart. SoJin answered the phone anyway, considering the fact that she had already rejected the call too many times.

“Finally you’re answering the phone. Anyway, have you been eating well and wearing enough clothes?”

“I’m not three mom, I can take care of myself.” SoJin said, annoyed. “Would you get to the point, I’m kind of sleepy right now.” Lies.

“Right I forgot it’s night time for New York right now. So I told the school that you would be leaving at the end of this month. It’s a decision between your dad and I, its not like the school there is any different from the ones in Korea, you’re just wasting money right now.”

“Mom, there’s a reason why I chose to stay here instead of studying in Korea; can’t you just respect my choices for once.”

“Fine. Explain your so called reason then.” Her mom argued.

 

Silence.

 

“Young lady, we’re the ones that has been paying for your school fees, you’re the one that should be respecting our choice here. We have already booked your flight back already; I will mail you the details later. Just sleep for now, love you darling.”

SoJin didn’t reply and just ended the call. She didn’t want to leave New York; it was the place where she could escape from reality and enjoy the peace around her.

 

The red notification on her screen a few moments afterwards informed her about the new mail. She scoffed, it seemed like her parents wanted to take away whatever she enjoyed. It has always been like that, so many times that shes already used to it. It was just harder to hide her disappointment this time.

 

---

 

SoJin went to the hospital early in the morning as the pain was getting unbearable for her. The sleepless night intensified her pain, creating a scowl on her face with every step she took. With much trouble, SoJin limped towards to the entrance, managing to arrive without taking too much time. “It’s just a sprain, nothing too big.” Her doctor had explained to her. I’ll give you some painkillers and medicine for the moment. Oh, and try not to put too much weight on your foot. Do you need crutches?”

“I’m fine with the crutches, thank you doctor.” SoJin smiled and thanked her doctor politely.

“Ok then, go wait outside and they’ll call you to pick up your medicine.” 

 

SoJin grabbed the handrails for support, heaving an air of relief as she sat down. On her left, sat a couple with a young girl aged around five.

“Sit here with daddy ok, mommy would buy you something to eat.” The little girl nodded and sat next to her dad with her head resting on his hand.

Out of curiosity, SoJin followed her gaze with the mother’s footsteps, only to see her counting her coins in front of the vending machine. A few moments later, she came back with a granola bar gave it to the girl. SoJin observed the family and she saw how the girl’s pout turned into a wide smile in a matter of seconds just because of a simple snack. SoJin couldn’t help but to be jealous of the girl’s innocence and the harmony between the family members. It was really everything she had wished for.

She remembered the time where a classmate in school had bullied her for her hair. Instead of defending her like normal parents would do, they ignored her and went to a bar with some family friends for a hangout. Not even bothering to hear her side of the story.

 

"Ahn SoJin, please come to counter three."

 

The nurse placed five different types of medicines and a small bottle of cream in front of her. “Take the medicine twice a day, remember to eat before taking the medicine.” Pushing the bottle of cream towards SoJin, the nursed explained, “apply the cream on the affected area four times a day. Be careful when you walk and no intensive exercise for at least a week.”

“Thank you, how much is it?”

The nurse slid a receipt in reply to SoJin and she proceeded to the main counter to pay.

After calling a cab, she rested her head on the window and stared into blank space. Upon reaching her place, she halted in front of the steps and closed her eyes. Wild thoughts went through her head about running away and cutting all ties with her family, but knowing her mother’s personality, the consequences was not worth the moment of freedom. She pushed the door open and placed the bag of medicine on the coffee table and went back to her room. Letting the familiar comfort engulf her body. 

 

---

 

A week later, Kai found himself standing outside the Incheon International Airport with a pair of sunglasses on the bridge of his nose. He dragged his suitcase with him and called a taxi to bring him to the nearest hotel to his house in Seoul. He thanked the taxi driver and went into the hotel. Before he even had the chance to check-in, his dad spotted him in the lobby.

“Excuse me for a moment, it’s my son right there.” Mr. Kim grinned at the businessmen before him and did a slight bow before he went to Kai.

“What are you doing here? I don’t want to make a scene in public so please just go home and stay there.”

Kai cursed himself for his luck and went back to his parent’s place. He knew what his dad would do if he were to cause a scene and he didn’t want to suffer from the embarrassment or the 'talk' following after.

 

His mom’s face was the first thing he saw when the stepped into the house. She still looked the same from last time he saw her, but he noticed a new scent on her collar when he walked past her that clearly, was not the same cologne he had smelt on his dad in the hotel just now.

How ing long did she stay with her new guy for such a strong scent to stay on her blouse? Especially when she knew her son was coming back today. Normally, he wouldn’t let it slide (knowing his mother’s records) but he was too tired to care at the moment. He bowed to her and walked up the stairs back to his room without saying a single vow.

 

---

 

It was the 20th today, meaning it was going to be a long day for Kai. He spent the whole night looking up at the celling, as if something was going to drop down. He noticed the suit in front of him, recalling his mom coming into his room in the middle of the night. He knew, but he said nothing. He fixed his tie and went down to drink some water. His parents were still sleeping since it was only six in the morning. He left a note on the table and headed right out.

 

I’ll be out for a moment. Don’t worry, I won’t run away. I’ll see you in the event hall at 10. – Kai

 

Kai had no idea where he was going, but he ended up in a park he has never been to before. The weather was nice, so he decided to sit on one of the swings and unknowingly, he fell asleep.

He had a weird dream, inside the dream the SoJin girl he had saw back in New York came up to his mind and stood right in front of him. She had a smile on her face that didn't quite reach up to her eyes. 

 

“It’s ok to be weak for once, it’s nice to cry and let your feelings out after acting strong for so long.” Was what she said before she vanished into thin air.

 

Kai opened his eyes in shock and held the handles of the swing before he fell down. Seeing another shadow on the floor, he looked up only to see the girl from his dreams right next to him, her legs dangling on the swings. Not believing his eyes, he ran away from the place and went straight to the venue hall where the party was taken place. It was 10:15am when he had arrived.

The guests were already seated and when he sat down, he saw the slight glare on his father’s face. Nevertheless, he acted as if nothing happened and looked at the plate it front of him. Before he ate, he went up to his grandma and gave her a weak hug, wishing her a happy birthday blessing.

 

‘Mom’ Kai heard his dad say, ‘eat slowly or you’ll choke.’

His voice caught Kai’s attention and he turned to where his mother and father were sitting. His mom had her arm intertwined with his dad’s right arm and they both had wide smiles to their faces. Feeling sick to the stomach, Kai just left the hall, not caring about the world, his parents, the guests and headed home. Kai locked himself inside his room as soon as he stepped into the house.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter