Chapter 6.

Burning

Hakyeon watched Taekwoon as he ate his food while listening to the conversation. He hasn't said more than 5 words in a sentence and that's what Hakyeon plans to get him to do. At this point, Taekwoon just needed to become comfortable around them. He appears to be very tense and lost in thought, not contributing to the conversation.

"Taekwoon, do you want to talk about schedules for the tutoring?" Hakyeon spoke up.

All the boys' eyes turned straight to Taekwoon as he answered.

"Yeah, sure." he said.

He looked around nervously then looked at the table, avoiding any eye contact.

"Would you like to do it at your house or one of ours?" Wonshik asked.

"M-my house." he stuttered.

"Well is Monday and Wednesday okay with you?" Hakyeon asked.

Taekwoon silently nodded and slowly crumpled up his paper lunch bag. Hakyeon noticed he was holding his crumpled ball a bit tightly which meant he still wasn't comfortable with this.

"Where do you live?" Hakyeon asked, hoping Taekwoon would have a long explanation for directions.

Instead of saying anything, he opened his bookbag and pulled out a pen and paper. Hakyeon's heart sank as Taekwoon wrote down his address and gave it to him rather than saying it.

"Thanks." Hakyeon said.

"We'll start tomorrow since it is Wednesday." Wonshik said, smiling.

"Okay." was all Taekwoon said.

"Ooooohh! Can I come?" Jaehwan asked jokingly.

"Me too!" said Hyuk.

Taekwoon smiled a little and shook his head to Jaehwan and Hyuk.

"You wouldn't want to." he said.

Hakyeon mentally screamed in frustration. That was only four words and the goal was to get at least five. Hakyeon had no idea what would get Taekwoon talking but he is determined to find it anyway.

Before he could say anything else, the bell rang which meant lunch was over and children were to be dismissed to their next class. Taekwoon jumped up from the table, muttered a quiet goodbye and disappeared into the crowd of kids, trying to exit the cafeteria.

"Well he doesn't have much to say." said Jaehwan.

"He's just like that Jaehwan." Hongbin said. "But there is definitely something off about him."


 

Hakyeon followed Hongbin and Hyuk to his next class which they all shared. After finishing all the assigned work given to them by their teacher, they decided to talk until the end of the class.

"I like Taekwoon." Hyuk said. "He seems like a great person but if only he would talk to us more."

"Probably too nervous to meet us." said Hongbin.

"But he seemed to be a bit more relaxed after a while." Hakyeon said. "Hopefully he is comfortable enough to talk to us normally soon."

"Then he will be comfortable enough to tell us what's always distracting him." said Hongbin.

"You noticed that too?" Hakyeon asked. He thought he was the only one to be watching Taekwoon.

"It's pretty obvious." Hongbin replied.

"Maybe we can find out more about him next time." said Hyuk

"Does he even want to sit with us tomorrow?" Hongbin said.

"That's for us to find out." said Hakyeon.

Hakyeon didn't know what Taekwoon would do. His facial expressions were extremely mixed to whether or not if he wanted to sit with them tomorrow. But one thing is for sure: he is really nervous about it. Hakyeon made it his personal job to make Taekwoon comfortable to them.



When all classes were done for the day, Hakyeon shuffled outside along with the crowd of kids on their way to the buses. Right before stepping onto the bus, Hakyeon noticed one person separate from the crowd and head down the street unlike everyone else, who were boarding the buses. He walked away from the bus towards the person to get a better view of who it was. Who would want to walk home when you can just ride the bus home? No one in their right mind would rather walk. After taking a few steps closer, Hakyeon gasped.

It was Taekwoon.

Hakyeon starting jogging after the boy without a thought and left his bus to depart without him. Shortly, Hakyeon is almost caught up with Taekwoon and gets his attention.

“Taekwoon!” he yelled.

The dark haired boy turned around in confusion then his face turned to shock. He stop walking and turned to Hakyeon waiting for him to finally catch up.

“What are you doing?” he asked as Hakyeon jogged up, breathing heavily.

“I thought I would walk with you to see where you live. I’m not good with written directions.” Hakyeon said with a smile.

"Okay then." Taekwoon replied and proceeded to walk in silence.

"So how was your day?" Hakyeon said, breaking the silence.

Taekwoon, who wasn't paying attention, didn't hear the question and continued to stare off into the distance.

"Taekwoon?" Hakyeon asked to get the boy's attention.

It snapped the other boy out of his thoughts and he turned his head to Hakyeon.
"Hm?"

"How was your day?" Hakyeon asked again, hoping to get an answer this time.

"It was good." Taekwoon muttered.

The two continued to walk without saying anything else for a bit.

The question, that has been on Hakyeon's mind since his conversation with Hyuk and Hongbin, suddenly bursted out of his mouth.
"Are you going to sit with us tomorrow at lunch again?"

Taekwoon stopped walking which made Hakyeon stop too.

"This is my house." he said, pointing to a brick red house with pretty flowers in the front.

"Oh.... It's very nice." Hakyeon said.

Taekwoon began to walk to the door. He stopped and turned around to face Hakyeon.

"Maybe." he said, answering the question.

He turned back around and entered his house then shut the door.

Hakyeon blinked a few times before continuing to walk to his own house.

He felt a little jittery.

He should walk home more often.


 

Author's note: Hey guys! Sorry I'm lazy and slow for the updates. I hope to make it up sometime. Next week I will be travelling on vacation since school is now over and I will be gone for a week. Since it is a long car ride, I will try to write the next chapters but won't be able to post them. 

Thanks for subscribing! <3