Chapter 12.

Burning

Hakyeon entered the cafeteria the next day and found Taekwoon sitting at their table next to Hongbin.

They weird thing was, he was having a casual conversation with Hongbin.

When Hakyeon approached the table, Taekwoon turned to Hakyeon and greeted him shyly. Hongbin greeted him after Taekwoon did but Hakyeon was focused on Taekwoon.

Taekwoon looked very tired. He had bags under his eyes, and his chocolate brown eyes were slightly red.

"Are you okay Taekwoon?" Hakyeon asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine." he muttered.

"Are you sure? You look tired." Hakyeon's motherly instincts kicked in. "You should skip school and go home to rest."

Taekwoon's eye twitched in irritation. "I'm fine Hakyeon." he said.

Hakyeon froze. Taekwoon had said his name. Not that it was special or anything, it just had an odd and surprising feeling to it.

In a good way.

Hakyeon shook it off.

"Promise me you'll get good sleep tonight and I'll drop it." he said.

Taekwoon raised an eyebrow in confusion at Hongbin who shrugged.

"Um... Okay." Taekwoon said. "I promise." he said, confused.

It was good enough for Hakyeon.

Hakyeon heard Wonshik and Jaehwan's laughter grow louder as the two approached the table.

"Hello Taekwoonie!" Jaehwan exclaimed.

Wonshik smiled. "Hi."

They all said hello and the two boys join them at the table.

"Where's Hyuk?" Wonshik asked, then looked around. "I didn't see him on the way here."

The others stopped talking and began to look around but the youngest wasn't anywhere in the cafeteria.

"This isn't like him to skip lunch." Hongbin muttered.

Hakyeon stood up and began to walk out of the cafeteria. "I''m going to look for him." he told the others. He felt a tug on his shirt. He turned to see that it was Taekwoon.

"I'm coming with you." he said quietly. His eyes had a determined look to them.

Hakyeon nodded and proceeded to exit the cafeteria with Taekwoon trailing him.

Hakyeon began to speed up to look for Hyuk faster because he was worried. Taekwoon managed to keep up with him.

"You should probably slow down. You might run into someone." Taekwoon warned.

"It's okay. I know what I'm doing." Hakyeon assured him.

As soon as he said that, he ran into a rushing SanHyuk.

Hakyeon braced himself to hit the floor, but warm hands caught him and he was pressed against a warm body then lifted back onto his feet.

"I told you." Taekwoon said, holding Hakyeon.

Hakyeon could feel heat rush into his cheeks as he remained speechless. He took in Taekwoon's scent which still smelled like burned wood, but it smelled good. It reminded Hakyeon of bonfires and it gave him warm, comforting feeling.

Taekwoon realized that he was holding Hakyeon close and he turned red. He quickly let go of Hakyeon.

"Y-you need to more careful." Taekwoon said, trying to recover from the blushing.

Hakyeon chuckled and looked at Hyuk who had landed on his .

"SanHyuk! Where were you?" Hakyeon asked, like a nosy mother then offered a hand to help him up.

Hyuk took Hakyeon's offer and stood up then brushed his clothes off. "Sorry, I was doing homework in the library." he said sheepishly.

Hakyeon sliced his neck playfully.

"Yah!" he exclaimed. "You had us all scared less!"

Taekwoon smiled a bit and began to walk back to the cafeteria without saying anything.

Hakyeon and Hyuk followed Taekwoon back to go enjoy their lunch.


 

When Hakyeon got home, he found his mother reading in their living room.

"Hi Hakyeonnie, how was your day?" his mother asked, just like any mother would. 

"It was great." was Hakyeon's answer. His answer was the same everyday.

He headed to his room and plopped his backpack onto the ground. He didn't have any homework so he had some free time before he had dance today. He grabbed his phone and began texting Jaehwan.

'You coming with us tomorrow?' he sent.

Hakyeon and his friends agreed to go and hang out on Friday every two weeks. Hakyeon's phone lit up, alerting him of an incoming text message.

'yes! Is everyone able to make it?' Jaehwan's message said and had a bunch of face emojis.

'I think so.' Hakyeon began to text back. 'Where should we go?'

Jaehwan's next reply caught Hakyeon off guard. 'I dunno. You should invite Taekwoon, maybe he might have some exciting place to go!'

Hakyeon thought about that idea for a second. It would probably be interesting to have Taekwoon come along. Maybe they'll get to know him better.

'Sure. I'll ask him tomorrow.' Hakyeon texted then sent to Jaehwan. After, he sent multiple text messages to Wonshik, Hongbin and Hyuk that Taekwoon might be joining them tomorrow.

He threw his phone on his bed when the texts sent and he went to the living room.

"I'm going out tomorrow with my friends." he said to his mother.

"Which friends?" his mother asked.

"Wonshik, Jaehwan, Hongbin and Hyuk." he said. "Oh, and maybe Taekwoon."

"Taekwoon? Isn't that the boy's house you went to yesterday?" she asked.

Hakyeon nodded. He knew his mother was a little hesitant because she hasn't met Taekwoon.

She sighed. "Okay, but you must check with your father." she said, closing the book she was reading."

"Thank you Umma." he said then returned to his room. His father will be home later tonight. Knowing his father, he will probably say yes.


 

Later in the evening, Hakyeon grabbed his dance things and headed to the studio where he dances. Dancing is Hakyeon's favorite hobby. He didn't care if it didn't seem like a guy thing, it made him happy to move to the beat and express his emotions through the movements. His friends aren't interested in dancing but they are very supportive of him and come to his dance events.

'Maybe I can invite Taekwoon to one.' he thought then shook his head. 

'Probably not, he wouldn't want to come see me dance.'

When he got to studio, he greeted his instructors and practiced his regular routine, preparing for his next dance event which will be in a month.

As he danced, time flew by and before he knew it, it was to leave. Hakyeon sighed in disappointment as he grabbed his bag and walked home.

When he got home, Hakyeon saw a silver car parked in his driveway. That meant his father was home and that he can now let his father know that he is going to be out Friday. He poked his head into the kitchen to find his father quietly speaking with his mother while they both eat their dinner.

"Appa." Hakyeon said, interrupting their conversation.

His father turned to look at him. "Yes Hakyeon?"

"Just wanted to let you know that I'm going out with my friends tomorrow." Hakyeon said, fiddling with his hands.

Hakyeon's father stared at Hakyeon with a blank expression, then smiled.

"Okay. Just don't stay out too late okay?" he asked.

"Got it." Hakyeon replied then headed to the bathroom to shower.

Just like he thought, his father easily said yes. His parents were so predictable.

Hakyeon didn't really like that.


Author's note: Hey guys! I got a new laptop :D

Anyway, I added a little more neo but I feel like I am taking this story too slow.

Comment what you think about my pace okay? (Only if you want to)

Thanks for 100 subscribers!! I love you guys. <3