Loving 1

Little Do You Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You okay?" JB asked

"Uh, yeah. I'm fine." Replied Jinyoung.

JB and Jinyoung were headed to the mall to meet up with Mark to get some last minute things for a camping trip JB and his boys were going on. There was a big sporting goods store connected to the mall and they were looking to make sure they had everything they would need. The trip up to their cabin was to last the whole weekend, so they were buying new hiking boots and extra supplies. Apparently for generations, the JB’s family had owned the small spot of land and it was always open to them to use.

It had been three weeks since Jackson and Jinyoung had their "talk" and things had been surprisingly relaxed. Their truce was balancing on a needle point, but for now, Jinyoung was grateful. Jinyoung never knew how much he stressed about Jackson and always having to worry about him possibly tormenting him. Knowing that he had this reprieve, however brief it was, was something he didn't take for granted.

"You're sure you won't change your mind?" JB asked

"Change my mind about what?"

"Coming on this trip with us. It's going to be a great time. It's the only weekend we'll get before winter starts. If we go any later, it'll be too cold to do anything."

Jinyoung knew JB was exaggerating. Their winters were never as bad as some places. They’d get snow every now and then, but for the most part, it was dry ground and more than likely just cold as hell outside.

"No, it's fine really. I don't want to intrude."

"You won't be intruding, Jinyoung. I want you to be there. It would be great if you got to experience this with us."

"I don't want to send Jackson over the edge. I mean, he's been true to his word, he's left me alone... But, I just don't want to risk it."

Jb looked exasperated, but Jinyoung couldn't help how he felt about Jackson. He didn't want to make Jackson uncomfortable, especially on a trip that had been planned far before he and JB had even become friends.

"Jackson won't bother you, Jinyoung. I told you, he's done with all of that now."

"I hear what you're saying, but I just... It's okay, really. You guys will have a blast."

JB looked defeated, but as they pulled into the parking lot of the mall, he left it alone for the time being. A part of Jinyoung really did want to go with them, but there was no telling what reaction his being there would get from Jackson. More so than not wanting to upset him, he didn't want to be uncomfortable, especially that far away from home.

Sometimes he had to tell himself over and over again that he trusted JB, and that he wouldn't let anything bad happen to him. He knew that was the truth. But, every now and then, there was a nagging suspicion, a pure moment of doubt where all of his fears about their friendship danced in his thoughts. It was terrifying.

For a moment JB just sat there and looked at Jinyoung, who would be lying to himself if he said he wasn't aware of his doubts. Most times JB would hide his hurt, but every now and then Jinyoung would see. In those moments, JB’s heart was literally on his sleeve, his pain very raw and very real. Jinyoung hated that he couldn't help how he felt, but he was a work in progress. He appreciated that JB never made him feel like that wasn't enough.

"We better get in there." JB said

Jinyoung took off his seatbelt and exited the driver's seat. JB had been slowly teaching him to drive over the past few weeks and he had deemed Jinyoung was no longer hazardous to other drivers. Jinyoung’s first few attempts had been rough, but now he was getting the hang of it. He tossed JB his keys and they headed into the mall.

Jinyoung couldn't even remember the last time he had gone there. They never had money to spend on things there and honestly, he had always associated the mall with a place to spend time with your friends. It was somewhere everyone could go and just walk around and waste time and money. He had never had any friends, so going to the mall was never a priority.

Once they walked in the doors though, he could see just how much he had been missing. There were stores upon stores with everything you could think of. His eyes were wide open the whole time they were walking to meet Mark. He had told JB that he was in the food court and that's where they were headed now. Jinyoung wanted to stop into a few of the game stores, another passion of his, but JB said they would be able to do a full walkthrough later.

It didn't take too much longer to find Mark. He was happily chatting on his cell phone when they walked up to him and after saying "goodbye" and "love you too" to whoever he was talking to, he hung up the phone.

Jinyoung wouldn't say that he Mark were friends now, but it was good seeing him. He definitely preferred him to the alternative and as Mark embraced JB and then shook hands with Jinyoung, he could tell that Mark felt the same way. It was just a good feeling that Mark, at the least, tried to make him feel welcome and not like a bother whenever they were hanging out.

"I hope we aren't too late." JB said

"Naw, you guys are right on time. I was just talking to Min Ki while I waited."

A look passed between JB and Mark, almost too quickly for Jinyoung to catch it, but at the blush on Mark's face, Jinyoung could pretty much figure it out. He wasn't entirely sure why, but Mark had told him about a week and a half ago that he was gay. To say he was shocked was an understatement, but it was also nice to know that he wasn't the only gay person in his school.

It's not like they talked about it together or anything, but it was just nice that he wasn't alone. He couldn't even be mad at Mark about everything that happened to him before. mark had never made it a point to be mean to him and Jinyoung would never have expected him to stand up for him, But knowing that there was something in common with the two of them, it just made things a little easier to deal with.

"Right on! Well, let's get this done." JB said.

"Uh, just a head's up... Jackson might be joining us a little later..." Mark said.

Internally Jinyoung flinched, but he kept his face a perfect mask of disinterest. He didn't want to stir the pot, especially with Mark being there. He didn't know what the universe was up to, but he had seen Jackson more in the last few weeks than he had in their whole time at school together. It was great that they were avoiding an issue with each other, but he felt like they were tempting fate.

"Have you two finally...?"  JB began to say

"Uh, no... My mom called me and told me that he said he might be stopping up here to see you. He hasn't talked to me... ya know, since... I... You know..."

"He'll come around, Mark. I'm sure of it." JB said

"Yeah, I hope so." Mark replied.

Jinyoung stood off to the side while JB and Mark had their moment. JB threw his arm over Mark's shoulder and it seemed like that bit of contact was the only thing keeping Mark from bursting into tears. JB hadn't divulged any details to him, but from what Jinyoung could tell, Mark's coming out hadn't received the warm welcome he had been hoping for. At least not from Jackson, the person that mattered most to him.

It was quiet as they made their way to the store and thankfully it wasn't too far from where they had gone in at. Jinyoung had no idea what they were going to need for the trip, so while they went back and forth with a sales associate who had come over to help them, he mostly stood off to the side.

He had never been on a proper camping trip. After his dad left, they would sometimes bunk out in a tent in the backyard, just his mom and him. Jinyoung knew now that she did it so he wouldn't know that their lights were off for the night, or some other utility. She'd make it into a game, just so he wouldn't know how bad they were off. His grandparents had money, but once she moved them out of their home and got her own place, she was mostly on her own.

In all honesty, Jinyoung did want to go. It would be a new experience. An opportunity to see the beauty of nature and all of that, but he just couldn't get over his fear of Jackson. It was like this presence that just loomed over everything and even JB's encouragement wasn't enough for him to dispel it.

He did his best to stay out of the way, they moved around the store a lot more than he thought they would. It had never dawned on him that JB was a guy into nature, but looking at how excited he was for his trip was enough to make Jinyoung smile. It was just another piece of the puzzle that was falling into place and as JB stood there with Mark at his side, Jinyoung could see just how comfortable they were with each other.

Even now, JB was sometimes still guarded with Jinyoung. He was definitely a lot more open than before, but looking at him and Mark, there was no need for him to put up his normal facade. He had told Jinyoung more than a few times that Jackson and Mark were some of the most important people in the world to him. Just looking at them now, no one would ever be able to doubt the sincerity in JB’s words.

They had been getting a bunch of information about the equipment they were buying, so it took a lot longer than anyone had planned. They had been in the store a little over an hour and it looked like they were just about to finally wrap things up, when Jackson showed up. He had clearly just left the gym as he still had his gym bag with him and he looked freshly showered.

Looking at Jackson now, he really wasn't bad looking at all. Mark either. They were both lean, but muscled. Jackson was a little stockier because he played football, as well as basketball and Mark more lean because he played tennis in addition to basketball. Jackson kept his hair short with a fade, and everything about him read bad boy. He didn't wear baggy clothes and oversized t-shirts, but there was a definite edge to the way he carried himself. They were both a shade or two darker than JB, but would still be considered light-skinned. Mark on the other hand, he kept his hair slightly longer. He had dyed it a while ago to a brown/blonde color that really worked for him and set off his brown eyes. They both had beautiful eyes. For the most part they all had the same style of dress. Polos, button-ups, t-shirts and pants that fit. Never baggy, but not tight either. It was an urban prep look that worked for all of them. Jinyoung, he just was a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy. Simple and sweet.

As Jackson embraced JB in a brotherly hug, it was weird to see the play of emotions on Mark's face. Jackson had barely even acknowledged him and spent most of his energies catching up with JB. It was hard to watch. More so for Mark to deal with, Jinyoung could only imagine.

"I'll be right back." Mark choked on his words.

He didn't turn around fast enough for them not to see the tears forming in his eyes, he didn't look back or wait for any comments as he strode away. Jinyoung couldn't imagine his best friend not wanting to speak to him. He could only hope that sooner rather than later, Jackson would come around.

"Really, man?" JB said to Jackson

"I don't know what to say to him, JB. Okay? I just can't even look at him without thinking about..."

Jinyoung didn't expect Jackson's gaze to fall on him, but he guessed he was the only other gay person Jackson knew. Not that Jinyoung was entirely uncomfortable, but if they were going to have a heart to heart, it wasn't going to happen with him standing here. It wasn't his place, and he was sure Mark could use a friend.

"I'm going to go check on Mark. Be back in a moment." Jinyoung said.

They both looked grateful and honestly, Jinyoung didn't want to hear whatever was going to be said anyway. JB knew Jackson better than he did, and he didn't want to be around to hear whatever ignorance might possibly come out of Jackson’s mouth. Instead, he made his way around the store in the hopes of spotting Mark.

 

JB couldn't help being slightly pissed at Jackson. Mostly it was because he was hurting his Mark, JB’s other best friend. He hated that they were in a spat right now, but he was hoping that Jackson would be able to look past what he didn't understand. On the other hand, it made JB nervous to think what would happen to their friendship if and when he told Jackson of his feelings for Jinyoung.

JB had no intention of losing Jackson as a friend, but if his being interested in another man wasn't something Jackson could or would look past, then JB didn't know how their friendship would continue on.  

As they doubled back, grabbing stuff for Jackson, JB tried to reason with him.

"I just don't understand it, JB. He's never even showed interest in men! Never." Jackson said.

"Jackson, he's never showed interest in girls either. It's not that big of a deal."

"Not that big of a deal?! My best friend is a ing , JB!"

"Don't call him that! He's your friend and you need to start acting like it!"

"Excuse me."

"You heard exactly what I said, Jackson. Mark loves you to pieces. You're more important to him than anyone and you're breaking his heart right now."

"You don't get it. Ever since Jinyoung, you've got some like soft spot..."

"It's not a soft spot, Jackson. It's maturity. It doesn't matter and it shouldn't. Mark being gay doesn't say anything about you and it doesn't affect you in any way. So, why can't you just be happy for him?"

"Happy? JB give me a break. You might be able to look past him wanting to dudes, but I can't."

"Are you really ready to lose your best friend over this? After everything, Mark being homoual is what you're going to let drive you guys apart? That's insane, Jackson."

"Whatever, JB."

"No, Jackson. Listen to me. Mark is your friend. At the end of the day, he's the person that you're always going to be able to count on. He's always going to be the person that is there for you no matter what, the person who loves you no matter what. Mark has put up with a lot of from you Jackson, from both of us, that normally a person would be ready to walk away and wipe their hands clean. You have someone who's stuck it out with you through everything, whether he's your friend or not, and you're seriously going to let the fact that he is gay destroy that? Use your head, Jackson. It doesn't add up and it doesn't make sense."

JB sighed as Jackson moved away from him, putting distance between them. He knew that Jackson had a lot of issues with gay people. His parents had never had any issue with uality and mostly just wanted their kids to be happy. Where Jackson got his abhorrence for gay men was a mystery to JB. He assumed it was mostly just not understanding, but it was something Jackson seriously needed to get over.

They walked several more aisles in silence while Jackson angrily threw stuff into his cart. For him to be this quiet for this long, JB knew his words were having some effect on him. Jackson might be hard-pressed to admit it aloud, but Mark was and had always been the only person he ever looked up to.

Though Mark was older by just four months, that was enough for Jackson to look up to him as a big brother. Everyone thought that Jackson was the older of the two because of his more brash behavior and outspoken personality, but Mark was actually the oldest. It wasn't something he played up, but for Jackson, it had always been something between them that he cherished.

When no one, even his parents, couldn't get Jackson to see reason, a few words from Mark and Jackson would come around. Or the fact that not even JB could get Jackson to change his mind on certain things, but a few conversations with Mark and Jackson would have a change of heart. It was just the relationship they had and JB could see it falling away by the second. Worse, he didn't know what to say to Jackson to make him put things right.

 

It only took Jinyoung a few minutes to find Mark. The sounds of sniffling weren't hard to locate and as he turned into a dead end aisle filled with hockey equipment he found him. Mark didn't notice him until he was almost right in front of him and he seemed shocked to see it was Jinyoung that came to find him.

"Are you okay?" Jinyoung asked

"Yeah. I just needed a minute, y'know?"

"Believe me, I do."

For a while Jinyoung just stood there, content to let Mark get his bearings together. He didn't have any idea what he was supposed to say in this situation, so for the time being, he said nothing. He wished he could tell Mark something to make him feel better, but the only person he had ever really needed to come out to was his parents. His mother and father had both been extremely supportive, he counted himself lucky in that aspect. Jinyoung knew what it felt like to lose people you love and he really hoped that Mark would be spared from that.

After a few minutes Mark wiped the last of his tears away and they started looking around for the guys. Mark still wasn't back to his regular upbeat self, Jinyoung knew that what he was going through wasn't easy. It was probably one of the hardest things in the world to do and on top of that, Jackson was the closest person to him.

"You're out to your family, right?" Mark asked him.

"Yeah. My mom and dad know."

"What about the rest of your family?"

"Uh, yeah... They know. My mom doesn't really have a lot to do with her family and my dad grew up in foster care. My mom and dad are the only family I really have."

"How did they take it when you came out?"

"I came out to my mom when I was eleven. We had been back here for about four years and things were decent. My grandparents live a few towns over, so it was nice having them so close. I had known for a long time that I might possibly be gay, but I was too afraid to tell my mom. We had already been through so much, but I couldn't stand feeling like I was being dishonest. So, one day I told her. I just blurted it out while we were talking about something completely unrelated. It just spilled out of me."

Reme

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter