returning home

lovepaints

One year later

Excuse me! Sorry. Coming through!

Taeyeon rushed down the hallway, dodging waving arms and swerving around lovey-dovey couples. She leapt down the stairs before making another turn and dash. It was one-thirty in the afternoon and Taeyeon was thirty minutes late for her next appointment. Securing her backpack by pulling on the straps, Taeyeon covered the final stretch of walkway before coming to a stop in front of two magnificent glass doors. Taking a deep breath, Taeyeon pushed the doors open and stepped into the library, making her way towards the counter.

Hi! She said, putting a smile as she panted, can I book a room? The Charles Dickens room? Is that free?

Yes, it is. Can I have your student card? Thank you. Here are the keys.

Stumbling down the stairs and towards the room, Taeyeon pushed in the key and turned it to unlock the door. She dumped her bag on the table and pulled out her laptop hastily, before flipping the screen up and jabbing the “on” button.

VZROOOOOOOOOP

The Skype app’s opening sound started as Taeyeon booted fully. Less than two seconds after, a black box popped up on her screen:

Doo de doo, de doo dee

Jellyjellywing is calling you…

Taeyeon tapped the Answer button on her screen. Her heart fluttered as Jelly’s smiling face popped up in front of her.

HEY!

Hey! Taeyeon replied, smiling brightly.

You’re late. Jelly rubbed her eyes cutely as she yawned. She was lying down in her bed, with her Mickey-Daffy-Goofy design pillow under her head and her IEMs plugged in.

I’m sorry. My class ended super late.

I can tell. Jelly chuckled. You’re panting, Taetae. Relax. Breathe. I don’t sleep that early, you know.

Says the person who missed my call at 0930pm.

When are you going to drop that? It was two weeks ago.

Never~ So… how have you been?

Good… good… I’ve been experimenting with pencils and crayons in the past week. You know… Your kind of stuff. Except that you’re probably way better. Haha oh god I . You?

Same old, same old. I’m prepping my art showcase for mock grading. Mostly drawings but my supervisor encouraged me to try out different stuff so I’m still working things out here and there.

Selfish brat, you haven’t shown me your pieces!

I did! Last week I let you see the lights one –

That was only one. You’re going to have like what…. Ten plus pieces? I don’t care. I want to see them. All of them. That reminds me… are the results out yet? For the art-exchange programme?

Results will be coming out tomorrow. I’m honestly really nervous. I scared I won’t get into the team.

Right. Time difference…

Jelly did a facepalm.

…Relax, taetae. You’re so brilliant. You’ll make it in.

I hope so.

You will. Then we can finally meet! Oh my god, there are so many places that I want to show you. I can’t wait to get back to Singapore either. I miss school. We have to go back. AHHHH! It’s going to be so awesome.

Yes it is. Taeyeon smiled.

Anyways. I have to go. Jelly yawned. Got to wake up early tomorrow for some excursion.

SO EARLY? But we just started talking…

I was here since ten. Hey… HEY… Don’t pout. No. Stop that. No. Jelly rubbed Taeyeon’s face on her phone screen, to comfort the girl thousands of miles away from her.

I’m sorry, taetae. I’m really tired today. I’ll make it up to you on Friday. Okay? Jelly gave Taeyeon a comforting smile.

Okay. Taeyeon nodded with her lips pressed together. Take care.

Have a good night, Taetae. Jelly blew a kiss.

Night nights jelly! Taeyeon beamed happily.

Jelly smiled before the call ended, sending the calm butterflies at the bottom of Taeyeon’s stomach fluttering around again.

The next day, Taeyeon rushed towards the level’s notice board right she had brushed her teeth. A small crowd of students from her batch that had applied for the exchange programme were formed up in front of the notice board, trying to see if they made it in. Taeyeon queued up behind the group and waited patiently for her turn, before she finally got to the front.

Reading the announcement quietly to herself, she went down the list of names one by one:

Choi Sooyoung

Hwang Mi Young

Im Yoona

Jung Sooyeon

Kim Hyoyeon

Kwon Yuri

Lee Soon Kyu

Seo Joohyun

 

WOOHOO YEAH WE MADE IT!

Tiffany Hwang, the-pretty-girl-with-the-super-loud-voice-to-Taeyeon, screamed as she celebrated with another girl with blond hair to Taeyeon’s right. Jessica, Taeyeon named her in her head silently before looking back at the list. Kim Taeyeon. Kim Taeyeon. Kim Taeyeon…

It was pointless. Her name wasn’t on that piece of paper. Taeyeon clenched her fists as she turned to the right sharply, accidently brushing past Tiffany as she ran away aimlessly. Taeyeon’s face grew warmer and warmer as tears began to roll down her cheeks. Stopping at the next empty classroom, Taeyeon pushed through the door and sank to her knees as she cried quietly.

After a few moments, the door creaked open. A girl, dressed to the toe in pink, stepped into the classroom. Squatting down beside Taeyeon, she rubbed Taeyeon’s back gently, comforting the crying girl.

Hey… hey… It’s going to be okay.

Still breathing erratically as she tried to stop sobbing, Taeyeon looked up into the concerned eyes of the girl in front of her.

You’re Taeyeon right? I saw you during orientation early on this year. I’m Tiffany. I’m in Year Two now. You really wanted to be in the programme, didn’t you?

Taeyeon nodded her slowly and sniffed. Tiffany wiped the tears off Taeyeon’s cheeks with her hands.

Don’t cry, it’s not your fault. It’s the stupid school’s fault. I heard that Year Ones never make it in. I tried last year too, but…

Tiffany made a sound by sticking her tongue out and blowing air.

… you can always try again next year, you know? Like me. Tiffany smiled.

I… My… best friend lives in Singapore. I haven’t seen her in person in a while. I wanted to go on this trip so that I could see her again.

Oh, Tiffany made a pout. Hmm… Well, Ms. Ng, the coordinator, loves me because I help her out with her plays and all so if you want, I could try to help you to persuade her to let you go...

You would? Taeyeon’s voice lighted up at Tiffany’s suggestion. 

Yeah, it’s –

Thank you! Taeyeon pulled Tiffany in a tight hug.

No big deal, Tiffany ended, smiling.

No.

But, pleaseeeeeeee?

Tiffany and Taeyeon were standing in front of the lecturer’s table as Ms. Ng packed up her things after dismissing her students from the 1030 slot.

She’s really, really good. And she deserves it. Besides, we don’t have anyone from Year One in the group now, so she should be allowed to join. It’s an exchange after all right?

Sighing, Ms. Ng turned to Taeyeon, looking at her intently as she asked,

Why do you want to go on this exchange?

We’ve practiced this… come on… Tiffany thought in her head as she looked at Taeyeon. The latter was biting her lip.

I came from Singapore to study here. I thought it’ll be a good experience to learn from the people of my home country, share my experiences with them, as well as see how similar and different the cultural interpretations of art are in both countries. Besides, there are a lot of good artists in the line-up, and I feel that I could learn a lot from them. I also have a friend in the partner school and I wanted to meet her.

In her mind, Tiffany slammed her head on the table. I told you to cut the last line out.

Hmm… Ms Ng pressed her lips together as she considered their request.

Fine. I’ll put you in. I’ll leave Tiffany – she placed emphasis on Tiffany’s name as she eyed her – to fill you in on all the details. I hope that you’ll have a fun and meaningful time there. Ms. Ng smiled at Taeyeon as she ended off.

THANK YOU. Thank you so much! Taeyeon jumped up elatedly as she thanked Ms. Ng, and then hugged Tiffany, who laughed as she congratulated her.