[Part 1/1] Mistake

Mistake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mistake 

 

Four years back, they were each other’s world. 

 

When they first met and when they fell in love, deeply, everything felt so perfect. She thought that her life was even better than all the fictional romance novels and fairytales. Her lovely boyfriend pampered her so much that everyone was jealous of her. She liked it. In fact, she loved it.

 

As high school was coming to an end, sadness began to tumble into her life. She knew she had not much time left with him as he was going to study abroad in United Kingdom for his undergraduate degree. 

 

She knew in less than 3 months time, they will be parted for 5 years. This was a pain which killed her emotionally. 

 

She drowned herself to sleep in her tears almost every night ever since she found out about their forthcoming separation, but she never told him.

 

He too was dwelling in despair. He never missed a moment he could spend with her and they cherished every second they had together.

 

The last 2 months of high school passed by in the speed of light. She knew the time was coming closer and closer, and yet the pain was still merely unbearable.

 

They spent their last 30 days together inseparably. He was with her from 9 in the morning to 12 midnight almost everyday, just to maximize the amount of time they have together. 

 

The day finally came. The day where it was hell of an agony to the both of them. That night, Taeyeon brushed her hair in front of her mirror while watching her reflection in sorrow as she got herself ready to send him off at Incheon Airport.

 

Throughout the journey in the car, both of them didn’t utter a single word as Baekhyun’s mother drove. He held her in his embrace, while she pressed her cheeks against his chest as tears rolled down her face. He still remained silent as he gently wiped the tears off her flooding eyes. 

 

~Taeyeon’s POV~

 

This was so cruel. My heart felt like it was jabbed by a million needles when I saw him slowly walking away with his back facing us, dragging along his dark blue luggage. 

 

I couldn’t bare but let my tears flow inevitably as I watched his shadows disappear from my vision. 

 

I couldn’t sleep for nights as I was waiting for his phone call every day. It was morning there when it was dark here. The time difference really made everything a billion times worse than it already was.

 

This went on for about 6 months before we started drifting apart. 

 

He no longer called every day though I still missed him as much as I did since the moment he left me. 

 

My heart was still in desolation when one day, my phone finally rang again. 

 

But it wasn’t the call that I expected to be.

 

“Hello Taeyeon ah?” He spoke before I did.

 

“Hey Jagi. I haven’t heard from you for a long time. How is everything?” I asked in concern as I usually would.

 

He ignored my question and continued “Hey...I don’t mean to hurt you or anything but it seems like things are not really working out for both of us. We’re so far from each other...and we don’t get to spend time together. I think we should...” He took a deep breath before he let out the last two painful words “Break up...”

 

The moment those two words hit my eardrum, my phone slipped off my palms unmindfully as tears filled up my swollen eyes. 

 

“Hello?” I could hear his soft cracking voice through the phone which was half a meter away from my ear. He asked for my presence.

 

I picked up my phone once again with shivering hands and placed it against my ears to hear what more he has got to say.

 

I remained silent as I honestly had nothing to say or respond.

 

“I’m sorry Taeyeon ah....I...”

 

I didn’t let him finish before I freed my words “It’s okay....You don’t have to explain anymore.”

 

Without waiting for his reply, I put down the phone and shut my eyes as tear drops started rolling off onto my blanket. In no time, it was soaking wet.

 

It was the greatest pain I’ve felt in life, knowing that the one I truly love is going to, literally, leave me...forever...

 

I couldn’t say no to his proposal as I knew some day it was going to happen. There was no point to beg or keep him as I knew his love for me has shrunk. He has been so cold to me and he never seem to miss me anymore. He barely called and when I do, he doesn’t answer. 

 

Though I was burning with fury inside, I couldn’t fight back as my heart was too weak from all the pain I’ve been going through lately. I wanted to know the reason why he broke up with me but I, too, knew it was better to be kept away from me as it would hurt even more if it was revealed.

 

~Baekhyun’s POV~

 

I’ve gotten used to a new and better life here. Everything was changing and I find it so much more thrilling here than in Korea.

 

Though I did miss Taeyeon a lot in the beginning, but I guess time healed the pain as I found someone new. 

 

Her name was Yoona. Im Yoona. She was indescribably beautiful and she was a lot more fun than Taeyeon was. Taeyeon was quiet, she was talkative. Taeyeon was an introvert, she was out going. She is like an adventure, a roller coaster! She gives me so much excitement, yet she was loving and caring.

 

I completely got Taeyeon off my mind after that night where I broke it off. I didn’t feel a single streak of pain. That was when I thought I was already over her.

 

Yoona and I walked through an intoxicating 4 years together in university. Though arguments and misunderstanding come about in between, I could feel that we were handling this relationship quiet well.

 

On the night of our graduation, everything changed. I saw her making out with a freshman that night when we were out celebrating our great accomplishment. My heart shattered into pieces as I saw the girl I thought I loved for the past 4 years, cheating on me right in front of my eyes.

 

Without a word, I left and I knew that it was the last time I would ever want to see her despite the fact that I wasn’t completely over her. 

 

It was a sleepless night. I was rolling on my bed the whole night, hoping that she would call but she didn’t. With no need of any further explanation, I could expect what happened between Yoona and the freshman that night. 

 

I felt so devastated when my past started to hit me back. It was all a flashback to 5 years ago when I left Korea. Taeyeon, my ex-girlfriend, who couldn’t stop crying and refused to let me go at the airport. 

 

It really hit me, hard. It was when I suddenly realized what an idiot I was  to break the fragile heart of a girl who genuinely loved me. I was a fool for not realizing what treasure I already had in front of my eyes. I let her go just like that, leaving her with her broken heart.

 

I finally arrived back in South Korea a week after the day of my graduation. My family couldn’t attend my graduation in UK for my grandfather was seriously ill.

 

But it felt warm to come back to my family welcoming me home. We chatted happily throughout the great dinner prepared by my lovely mother. The night was filled with joy, but I couldn’t get something off my mind. 

 

When I was finally alone that night, I was lying on my old bed which I haven’t slept on for ages, staring into the bla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter