You Carry Me So Why Can't I Carry You?

Lean On Me When You're Drowning

The music was blaring, allowing no one the luxury of hearing the sound of anything below the volume of yelling. However, even this volume couldn’t keep the brunette at the bar awake any longer. His head rested on the hardwood, atop his arms folded to serve as a makeshift pillow. The sleeping boy had drifted off in the midst of nursing his fifth bottle.

 

An hour passed and the bartender grew to become slightly worried. The man had first trudged in with a dead look on his face and a dullness to his eyes. He had looked beyond tired. He looked defeated. People snuck glances at him in between their own conversations, faces filled with pity at his torn down state.

 

The sea of people parted to make way for him, and a seat at the bar was even given up for him. He sat down silently, before quietly ordering a beer. As the night went on, the four bottles he had previously emptied stood next to the sleeping figure, the fifth half empty still lightly grasped in his hand. No one knew what would happen to him, as he showed no signs of waking up anytime soon. Since he had fallen asleep, the brunette hadn’t moved the entire time.

 

The bartender decided the best decision would be to wake the sleeping man, before he was taken advantage of. While trying to shake the customer awake, another paler hand appeared on the brunette’s shoulder.

 

“Hyung. Jongin-hyung. You have to wake up now.”

 

As if by magic, the boy, who had appeared to be a heavy sleeper before, woke up immediately after hearing the call of the newly appeared blonde.

 

“I’m sorry for the trouble my hyung has caused you,” the man said curtly, face completely straight and void of emotion.

 

The bartender was not only startled by the sudden appearance of the other man, but how Jongin responded to him. As soon as he was pulled up from the stool, Jongin had latched onto the man, his arm looped through the other’s, and he leaned into him. His head immediately rested onto his shoulder and a whine escaped his lips.

 

“Sehunnie~ let’s have some more fun here!”

 

The other boy’s cold expression faltered briefly when he glanced down at Jongin and their eyes met. The blonde leaned down and whispered into the other’s ear, “Let’s go home now Jongin.”

 

Jongin pouted slightly and was about to object when Sehun whispered something only audible between the two of them before the other’s eyes lit up. Standing up straight, Sehun bowed his head slightly before turning himself and the now more willing Jongin around to walk out of the bar.

 

The cool night air hit them both, breathing made easier compared to the stuffy air that filled the bar.

 

“Why do you keep entering bars and attempting to drink your sorrows away?”

 

Mumbling a quick retort, Jongin responds with a clear cut “It’s easy.”

 

A troubled look appeared on the blonde’s face, clearly unhappy with the response he received.

 

“I wish you would share your hardships with me. You have always been there for me, whether it has been regarding problems at school, work difficulties, family feuds. You are there for me for everything. So why won’t you let me be there for you?”

 

Silence ensued as the two began their trek toward home. With an arm slung around his shoulder, Sehun allowed Jongin to lean on him in his drunken state, offering support when needed. They slowly made their way back to their apartment, which was only a few blocks away from the bar. However, with a block left, Jongin became too tired to walk and insisted Sehun carry him. Scooping his arms underneath his legs, Sehun carried the other boy the rest of the way into the apartment, resting him on his bed. He removed his shoes, untying the laces and gently slipping each one off. The boy turned over onto his side as Sehun pulled the covers over him.

 

Sehun turned to leave, flipping the light switch and opening the door. Just as he was stepping through the doorframe, he heard a tiny whisper.

 

“Sehun-ah.”

 

He turned to meet the sleepy gaze of Jongin, who was now sitting up with the duvet wrapped around his body.

 

“What is it?” Sehun questioned in a whisper.

 

“Will you sleep with me tonight?”

 

The words were barely audible, but Sehun knew exactly what Jongin was going to say anyway. Sehun turned back around to close the door behind him.

 

“Of course,” he answered.

 

He made his way back to the side of the bed and gently lifted the covers. Sliding in next to the brunette, Sehun turned to the other and opened his arms, having the other immediately scramble into his embrace. Jongin’s arms came out to wrap around Sehun’s torso and press himself into his chest. Breathing beginning to slow and even out, Jongin appeared to be out after only a minute. Sehun brushed the brunette’s bangs to the side, giving him a clear view of the face of the man resting in his arms. He gazed lovingly down at the boy, eyes filled with warmth, the normal cold expression now melted from his features. He lightly pressed his lips to Jongin’s forehead, earning a satisfied hum from the other.

 

“I love you Sehun-ah,” Sehun heard Jongin whisper.

 

A small smile made its way onto Sehun’s face, and he chuckled lightly before giving his reply.

“I love you too, Jongin.”