A Wish Upon A Moon

A Wish Upon A Moon

You sat on the grass wrapped up in your sleeping bag amongst complete darkness. The only light were the glittering stars above you. You had spent the past hour twisting and turning in the restricted sleeping bag but still couldn’t fall asleep. Not wanting to wake your friends up, who were sound asleep in the tent, you decided to sit out here in the silence.

 

2:00am your phone read.

 

This is just great. I need to wake up in 5 hours to head back and I’ll be driving like a zombie. Probably not the safest idea.

 

You laid down and shuffled in your sleeping bag trying to ignore the rock that was digging into your lower back. You continued to stared emptily at the stars above, letting thoughts seep into your mind. You thought about today and how you enjoyed getting away from everything and meeting some friends of friends. Thoughts of uni creeped in and how dauntingly lonely it felt sometimes. But you brushed away those negative thoughts, deciding to focus on something more positive to get you asleep. Well, so you’d still be conscious enough to go back into the tent. You didn’t exactly want to spend the night out here in the coldness.

 

You let my mind drift to thoughts of the one. You wondered if I’d ever meet him, the perfect boy. But then again your love life had been as dry as your uni social life, which probably explains why you haven't met anyone yet. You closed your eyes and gathered your hands together. Since there wasn’t a shooting star, you wished on the bright, circle moon.

 

Moon, please let me meet the one, the perfect boy for me. Please -

 

“Oh this is so stupid” You mumbled as you sat up abruptly but quickly fell back down as my forehead collided with something hard.

 

“Ouch!” you tried to keep as quiet as possible whilst rubbing your forehead to soothe the pain.

 

“Gosh! Don’t you have a hard noggin. Give me a concussion, will ya?” a voice whispered loudly with sarcasm.

 

“Gee, I’m sorry I didn’t see you in this absolute pitch black darkness,” you snapped back, “let’s not forget you were the one with your head in the way.”

 

Your hands scrambled around trying to find your phone for some light. Once you found it, you shone the screen in the direction of the voice.

 

“Jr.?”

“Hello ______” he said with a sheepish smile.

“I’m sorry” the both of you blurted out at the same time.

“I’m sorry for yelling at you,” you said.

“Me too. I was just seeing if you were still alive. That’s all”

“Well, I am now after that collision,” you joked.

 

He let out a small embarrassed smile.

 

“What were you doing? You said it was stupid,” he asked as he sat down next to you on the bare grass.

 

You ped you sleeping bag and laid it out, motioning for him to sit on it with you.

 

“Hang on, let me get mine too,” he rushed back into the other tent.

 

He came back and ped his sleeping bag and wrapped it around the both of your shoulders. You felt a sparkle as your shoulders touched that sent your heat beating at 100km/hr. You silently thanked the night for being dark so that the flush on your cheeks couldn’t be seen.

 

“So what did you do that was so stupid?” he interrupted the silence.

“Oh umm.. it was nothing. It’s stupid,” you stammered.

“Come onnn” he urged as he gave you a playful nudge.

“Really it was nothing important. It’s not going to come true anyways,” you insisted.

“Ohh so it was a wish,” he smirked.

 

Crap. 

 

You mentally banged your head against the wall. You had said too much.

 

“What was the wish?” he asked.

“It’s not going to come true if I tell you,” you straightened your shoulders.

“If I tell you a wish, will you tell me?” he offered.

“Mmm…” you thought carefully, “okay then.”

“Well,” he took a deep breathe, “on my 6th birthday, I wished that my biggest secret would never be revealed.”

 

You glared at him.

 

“What?” he asked innocently.

“That’s your wish? Really? The deal’s over unless you tell me what your secret is.”

“Sorry no can do,” he shook his head, “Wouldn’t be a secret after that would it?”

“Well you already told me your wish, so now it’s not going to come true. At this rate, you might as well just tell me.”

“Fineee,” he whined, “the day before my birthday, I was being mischievous as usual. I mean you can’t really blame an excited 6 year old kid right? So on that day, I was playing in the backyard after school, whilst my mum was on the phone. I didn’t eat my lunch that day because I was too busy playing and I was scared that she’d yell at me so I buried my lunch, lunch box included in the backyard. It’s probably still there to this day.”

“OMG, you didn’t?!” you cracked up laughing.

“And best thing was she still doesn’t even know. She thinks I left it at school.”

“You should really tell her,” you tried to say in between your giggles.

“No I refuse to,” he crossed his arms.

“Why didn’t you just chuck your lunch out in the bin? Like a normal kid would.”

“I don’t know! Don’t ask. I wasn’t exactly your typical 6 year old kid.”

“Yeah, seeing as how you turned out now,” you teased.

“Hey now, little harsh don’t you think,” he placed his hand on his heart and pouted.

“I’m sincerely sorry from the bottom of my heart,” you apologised as you placed a hand on his shoulder to comfort him. You used your best puppy eyes to convince him.

 

He squinted his eyes at you. You continued to pout.

 

“You’re totally ting me aren’t you?” he accused.

“What? Me? Never!” you shrugged innocently.

 

He chuckled at your little prank.

 

“So what was in that lunch box?” you asked seriously.

“Probably a sandwich, a packet of biscuits and maybe a fruit?”

“Oh gosh! That’s foul!” you covered your mouth in disgust.

“You talking about yourself?”

“I.. I..no..” you mumbled as tears started to trickle down you cheeks.

“That’s not what I meant, ______. I’m so sorry! I’ll do anything to make it up to you,” he apologised.

“That really hurt you know,” you sniffled.

“Hey, look at me,” he gently lifted your head so your eyes met, “I really didn’t mean anything by it. It was a stupid joke. I should’ve thought about it before I said anything. I’m sorry.”

 

He pulled you into a warm hug. You could feel his heart beat against your chest.

 

“So you’ll do anything right?” you said with a bit of playful tone.

 

You started to giggle and when he realised he pushed you away, knowing you had tricked him again. However, unable to balance yourself, you started to fall back. Before you knew it, you were lying on the grass, with Jr.’s hand behind your back. He had caught you, cushioning the fall. His face was centimetres from yours. You stared into mesmerising eyes, trying not the blush. You could feel his heavy breathing against your body, from the adrenaline rush from catching you. You contemplated on whether you should say something or not. Part of you wanted to stay in this moment forever.

 

“Don’t you ever do that again okay?” he whispered as he intently gazed into your eyes.

“Okay,” you said as you bit your lip and nodded slightly.

 

He helped you up and an award silence filled the campsite. His hand still rested on your lower back.

 

Breaking the silence, he asks “so are you going to tell me you wish?”

“Oh umm… i guess so..” you said shyly as you shivered slightly.

“Here,” he said as he wrapped the sleeping bag around you.

“Thanks,” you mumbled.

“No worries,” he said with a kind smile, “So?”

“You can’t laugh okay?” you gave him a serious stare.

 

He nodded.

 

“I wanted..” you hesitated, “no I can’t do this! It’ll make me look desperate.” You shook your head.

“Hey, there’s nothing wrong in expressing what you want,” he said as he brushed a few strands of my hair behind my ear.

“I wished for the perfect boy,” you looked down at your fiddling fingers.

 

Jr. didn’t say anything after. You looked up seeing his sparkling eyes gazing at you in awe.

 

“I told you it was stupid. That’s why I didn’t even continue,” you said in a huff.

 

Once again, he chose to keep silent.

 

“I think I should go back into the tent and try to get some sleep,” you said standing up.

“Oh um yeah,” he said as he got up and handed you your sleeping bag.

“Thanks. Good night.”

“Good night,” he replied before turning around to walk away.

 

You did the same but after a few steps, you felt a hand around you wrist. You turned around and saw Jr. looking into your eyes. You did the same, as your heart jump a beat and pounded against your chest.

 

“Do you want to see the sunrise with me tomorrow?”

“Yeah okay,” you said casually, trying to hide your nervousness.

“Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow morning. Sweet dreams,” he gave you a hug before heading back into his tent.

 

He left you walking back to your tent with a million emotions racing through your body.

 

Needless to say you had next to zero amount of sleep last night.

 

Were there mixed signals? Or am I overthinking?

 

You crept out of the tent, making as little noise as possible. You could see Jr. sitting in the same place you sat last night. You strolled over there and plopped next to him on the already laid out sleeping bag.

 

“Here,” he said as he laid the blanket over your shoulders.

“Thanks,” you smiled, “Sleep well?”

“Not really. What about you?”

“Same.”

“So you know how last night..” he started to say, “that you were looking for the perfect boy.”

“Mhmm,” you said absentmindedly.

“I think -” he mumble rubbing the back of his neck.

“Oh look the sun’s about to rise!” you interrupted as you pointed out the tip of of the sun peaking through the trees.

 

Truth be told, you were scared. Scared of what Jr. was going to say. Maybe you weren’t ready to meet the one yet.

 

“It’s really pretty isn’t it?” you asked, staring at the blazing sun.

“Yes it is,” he said as he leaned back and stretched out his legs.

 

You looked over, locking eye contact with him. You smiled nervously.

 

“Why do I feel like you’re nervous?” he asked with a smirk.

“Me I’m not -“ you begin to say before he faces appears centimetres away from you, “nervous.”

“You sure seem like it,” he chuckled and backed away.

 

You stayed silent and fazed.

 

“So you know yesterday, you were telling me this wish..”

“I should wake the others up. They will want to see this sunrise,” you said quickly before standing up.

“_______,” he grabbed your wrist, “why are you avoiding me? Stay, please?”

 

You sat as you nodded your head.

 

“Why are you acting this? Did I do or say something wrong?” he asked as he lifted your head gently.

“Yes. Yes you did,” you looked him in the eye as your brushed away his warm fingers from your chin.

 

You could see the hurt in his eyes. It hurt you too.

 

“I know what you’re going to say. That you’re the perfect boy. The one for me,” you continued.

 

You saw a glimmer of hope in his eyes.

 

“But.. I don’t think I’m ready yet. I’ve spent my whole life wishing, hoping that I’ll be able to meet him.”

“And now you have. Can’t you feel it too?” he said as he caressed your arm.

“Of course I can Jr. I wouldn’t be so stupid to not feel this connection. I feel it in every bone of my body. But how can I trust this? How can I trust us to last? I’ve never had my heart broken and I don’t want to feel that pain.”

 

Tears gathered at the rims of your eyes before trickling down your cheeks.

 

“Is that why you’ve been dreaming all this time?”

 

You nodded shamefully. You were a selfish, coward and you knew it. You wanted to protect yourself and that’s why you never ventured out. You wished and hoped to meet the perfect boy one day but when the moment finally came, you were scared.

 

“Well, you can trust this..” Jr. whispered as he interrupted your thoughts.

 

He leaned in and gently placed his lips on yours. Your eyes widened at that gesture.

 

“Trust the perfect boy for you,” he said as your nose touched before leaning in for another kiss.

“How did you know?” you managed to say.

“Remember when you wished on the moon for the perfect boy?”

 

You nodded.


“Well, when I first walked out of that tent and I saw the moon. I wished for the same thing,” he smiled.

“For the perfect boy?” you asked with a cheeky smirk.

“No,” he shook his head, “for the perfect girl. You.”

 

You let out a sheepish grin and wrapped your arms around him. He cupped your face and kissed you ever so gently again.

 

 

A/N: Hope you liked this short ff :) the idea has been buzzing in my head for a while now before I decided to write it because I was too lazy :/ Make sure to comment and upvote! It really motivates me ~ Check out my other ff (ft. GOT7 Jackson). :) x