(1/2)

Cappuccino

Kyungsoo lives between different worlds. He might be 'Tobias' when he's reading 'Divergent' trilogy series, 'Adam Wilde' while reading 'If I stay' or 'Travis' from 'Beautiful Disaster'. On other days, he might be the main protagonist or the villain character from his own story. For Kyungsoo, it was fascinating how words can create different worlds and he was determined to create his own worlds.

After finishing his degree in Literature, Kyungsoo plunged into his dreams and fame and money were thrown to him as a bonus but what Kyungsoo enjoyed was creating his own worlds where he could design the whole world and probably enjoy living in. Kim Jongin – his roommate in university, currently his assistant and publisher – was the one to organize his worlds.

'YAH! Do Kyungsoo!!! What do you mean by you don't 'feel like' writing anymore?!!!'

Jongin is the son of a publishing company and inherited the business after college. He lives together with his best friend – the main author of their publishing company. He puts up with the author's mood swings, weirdness and the tendency to get random thoughts all of a sudden. Kyungsoo continued,

'I want to write something I have never written before. Something new.'

'Then, write something new. Don't scare me with something like 'you don't feel like writing anymore.' It's not good to say it to the face of your publisher.'

'But, I don't know what to write.'

'Then, let's go eat some ice cream. I scream, you scream, we scream for ICE CREAM!!!'

Jongin exclaimed happily and Kyungsoo sighed.

 

 

-

 

 

Kyungsoo sat on the bench, waiting for Jongin to return. It was a beautiful day, Kyungsoo thought as he looked up the sky. There were thin trails of white clouds on the blue canvas of the sky where the the sun shone proud and bright. But lonely, Kyungsoo thought. Being a star, wouldn't the sun want to shine together with its friends, the other stars in the night sky? Giggles broke Kyungsoo's train of thoughts and Kyungsoo's attention was directed to somewhere else.

There was a couple sitting on the bench next to his. Were they even a couple? Kyungsoo was fascinated for a moment by their interactions – bright smiles and unrestrained laughter. Kyungsoo thinks that they might have met before because he is really familiar to the guy who looks like Jongin but couldn't remember where they had met before.

'Wait. Are you Kyungsoo? Do Kyungsoo as in the author and you majored in literature right?!'

The creepy guy exclaimed and Kyungsoo nodded, noting that the guy was quite good looking and his smile was sort of contagious as Kyungsoo found himself slightly smiling. And he seems to know him. Thinking hard, Kyungsoo tried to think of all the places where he could have possibly met the other guy. Uni? Maybe.

'I'm Taemin. Don't you remember me?'

Oh. Oh. Jongin’s ex.

The realization had his stomach clenching. Green streaks of jealousy colored his mind. Green. Green. Green. Kyungsoo replied,

'Lee Taemin, right?'

'Yep. So, how're you and Jongin doing?'

'Great. And you?'

'Oh. This is my boyfriend. Minho. I'm doing great thanks to him.'

Kyungsoo let his gaze wander towards Minho. He was a good-looking and manly guy. Boyfriend. The word flipped a switch in Kyungsoo's brain and he finds himself smiling. Kyungsoo asked,

'So, you're here for a date?'

'Basically. Where's Jongin?'

'Taemin?'

Meanwhile, Jongin returned with two ice cream cones in his hand and stared incredulously at Taemin. Then, noticing the intertwined hands between Taemin and Minho, Jongin snapped out of his thoughts, handing over the ice cream to Kyungsoo who had his brows furrowed. What? Why does he look annoyed? Jongin spoke,

'Seems like you two are together now. Congrats.'

'Thanks. You knocked some sense into my brain.'

Turned out that Jongin was the mutual friend between the two and he had acted as the wingman between them. By the time, they finished their ice cream, Minho and Taemin left but before they do, they exchanged numbers although Kyungsoo failed to see why they would even want to contact an anti-social like him. Taemin greeted,

'Bye guys. Have a nice date.'

'We are not dating though,' Jongin said nonchalantly and Minho raised his eyebrows. Minho asked,

'Aren't you two an item?'

'No. We're just best friends.'

Jongin explained and looked at Kyungsoo who didn't say anything. Wasn't he supposed to explain something to them? Kyungsoo simply ate his ice cream and Jongin pouted unconsciously. Minho and Taemin had knowing smiles on their faces. Wait. What? Why do they have those grins as if they know something I don't? Couples be like showing off that they can send telepathy to each other. Kyungsoo found his inspiration when Minho and Taemin left.

'Jongin.'

'Hmm?'

'I want to write a romance novel.'

Jongin coughed on his own saliva and stared at Kyungsoo. What? Kyungsoo writing a romance novel??? He couldn't believe his own ears.

'WHAT?'

'Uh… I want to write about love.'

Kyungsoo is a famous author – artist, he prefers to call himself for portraying life in words and sentences in place of paints and brushes. He writes angst. Not the angst where the protagonist of the story doesn't get together with his love interest but the angst on how unfair the world actually is. It's not like he never wrote romance in those stories but it had never been focused on romance.

'You don't believe in love!'

'Yeah. I don't.'

'Then how the hell are you going to write about it?'

Kyungsoo shrugged. Jongin gaped at Kyungsoo incredulously. What the actual . Jongin stated the obvious,

'You don't have any dating experience either!'

'Right. I don't. But it doesn't mean that I can't write a romance novel.'

'You are writing this out of nothing.'

'Not actually.'

 

 

-

 

 

'Minho is not coming. He got to meet an important client at the last minute.'

'Oh. It's okay.'

Taemin ordered a cup of espresso and Kyungsoo a cup of cappuccino. People would say it's just a cup of coffee with milk frothed using pressurized steam but Kyungsoo would describe it as happiness in a cup. They sat in silence until their order came and Kyungsoo took a sip of his own coffee. Yep. Definitely happiness in a cup. Taemin started the conversation,

'So… um. Shoot your questions?'

'I'm sorry for troubling you.'

'Nah. It's not a trouble. I'm happy to help.'

To be honest, Kyungsoo thinks Taemin is happy to do anything on Earth, judging from that cheerful grin he always seems to wear. When Kyungsoo called Taemin for the help he needs, the latter was practically shouting into the phone with glee that he was willing to help. Kyungsoo mentally thanked Taemin.

'I was expecting you with Jongin actually.'

'Oh. Why?

'Thought you two were glued hip to hip.'

'Just sometimes. So, how did you feel when you first saw Minho?'

When Jongin introduced the two, Taemin couldn't speak a word, being too nervous and scared at the foreign feeling he had. It wasn't exactly like what books described – the swarms of butterflies in the stomach or the erratic beating of heart. It was much more. It wasn't just a few butterflies but actually a storm gnawing up inside and the heart beat was so fast that it hurts. Taemin laughed at the memory,

'I thought that feeling must be love but it was just excitement.'

Wait. What?

'I don’t understand. Those butterflies and heartbeats… don't they describe the feeling of love?'

'They contribute to the feeling of love but for me, love is much more than that.'

Right after the first time they made love – Kyungsoo blushed profusely when Taemin said that and Taemin laughed it off – Taemin realized what love is. It is calm and soothing yet addictive like a drug. It isn't the unstable feeling of excitement but the feeling of security and safety despite any circumstances and nothing else seems to matter or corrupt the peaceful feeling you have when this person is with you.

People say that love makes you happy. Find love. Find happiness.

But no. Love is not about feeling happy. Love is about watching someone else being happy and trying to make that someone else happy even if you get hurt. It's about noticing little things about you and trying to present yourself better to him as well as noticing little things about the other which make him so special and different from others.

Kyungsoo felt a lump in his throat. Jongin, his heart says. No, his brain replies.

'Some relationships fail though.'                                                          

Kyungsoo muttered like the grump he is and Taemin smiled. Yes. They do. Love is not the only emotion on Earth and it mingles with others – happiness, sadness, greed, regret, et cetera. When the balance between emotions is corrupted, everything fails – relationships or whatever. Kyungsoo nodded, starting to understand. Some people mistook excitement with love, mingle it with lust and wrongly call infatuation love. Taemin asked,

'Haven't you experience the butterflies and fast heartbeat phases?'

Kyungsoo rummaged through his memories. He felt that before he went up on stage to sing in a choir, when he reads novels, when he writes, on days when his novels are published, once when he stalked Jongin and caught him dancing alone in his room, when Jongin back hugs him as he washes the dishes, when Jongin smiles at him like a little kid while eating chicken, when Jongin says something corny and cheesy, when Jongin decides to be stupid and drags him to run under the rain, when Jongin-

Jongin.

Kyungsoo shook his head to drive out the name and replied,

'No. I haven't.' There went a big fat lie.

'Your true love will come one day.'

'Maybe.'

Maybe is a vague word – intermediate between a 'yes' and a 'no'. It's frustrating to hear for it has no solid meaning. But still, 'maybe' is a word where hope and pessimism intertwine. You could think bright hopes being shadowed by dark clouds of pessimism or the dark clouds of pessimism lighted by the sunshine of hope. It's just a matter of opinion.

True love? Maybe.                                                                                               

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

'YOU ARE WHAT?!!!'

'I said I am going out.'

'Why?!'

'To find inspiration.'

'Without me?!'

'Can you stop yelling?' Kyungsoo snapped and looked at Jongin who had an astounded expression, his jaw hanging open and his eyes popping out as much as Kyungsoo's. Do Kyungsoo, the anti-social human who prefers indoors over outdoors, solitude over parties and books over sports was going out for the first time in his entire life without him, Kim Jongin, his only friend and best friend? Jongin narrowed his eyes in suspicion.

'What are you going to do and where are you going?'

'Jongin, you're not my babysitter. And I'm twenty three. Perfectly capable of handling myself.'

'But you never went anywhere without me before.'

'There's always a first time for everything.'

Jongin shut up at that and Kyungsoo went through his wardrobe, finding something decent to wear. Although he let it not to show, he felt apologetic towards Jongin for not telling that he was going to meet a junior, Sehun and he doesn't even understand why he was feeling this way. After all, it's not like he had a duty to tell Jongin whatever he does.

Important things first, what should he wear? Kyungsoo sighed at the sight of his wardrobe filled with black, black and black. People say black is a mournful color. Sad and melancholic. For Kyungsoo, black is a mixture of colors: rainbow colors mixed into one and blending together to form black, a mixture of all the colors you could ever think of.

The doorbell rang and Jongin went to get it while Kyungsoo changed into a black shirt and ripped jeans. He messed up his hair to give it a tousled look and smiled at his own reflection in the mirror while Jongin's voice, low and eerie, sounded from his back.

'Why didn't I know that you have a date?'

'I told you I was going out.'

'You said it was to find inspiration.'

'Yeah. It is.'

Kyungsoo turned around to look at Jongin in the eye. Jongin looked serious and Kyungsoo was surprised (and slightly scared but he pushed the thought to the back of his mind.) Jongin's brown orbs looked into his and Kyungsoo wondered if he could see through his soul because damn. That gaze was piercingly sharp. Jongin had never looked at him this way – hurt and anger morphed into one stare. Kyungsoo spoke,

'Sorry.'

'For what?'

'Not telling you.'

'Just that?'

Kyungsoo looked at Jongin in confusion. What else did he do? Jongin broke the eye contact and turned away. He spoke,

'Just go. Thehun-'

'Sehun.'

'Whatever. The guy is waiting for you.'

Jongin looked pissed and Kyungsoo made a mental promise to make it up when he got back from the date. He greeted Sehun with a polite bow and the two left the apartment exchanging introductions.

'Don't you feel sorry for going on a date?'

Jongin asked to the empty apartment and there was no reply.

 

 

-

 

 

'Shouldn't you tell him that you're just being my mentor?'

'It doesn't matter anyway. We're just best friends.'

Sehun was a literature student in his finals – specially requested by Kim Ryeowook, Kyungsoo's senior to be mentored by Kyungsoo himself. Despite the age difference of two years, Sehun was good to talk to and mature (even more mature than Jongin.) Kyungsoo sipped his cup of bubble tea as he read Sehun's work. Kyungsoo complimented,

'You're a good writer yourself. Why would you need me as your mentor?'

'It's just an excuse actually.'

Kyungsoo lifted his gaze to stare at Sehun who had a blank stare – blank at least to others but not Kyungsoo. It wasn't a blank stare. It was that kind of stare with so much intricate, subtle meaning in it – an ineffable kind. That kind of stare under which you feel vulnerable because it feels like he can see through your soul – your ugliest secrets and your most embarrassing moments.

'I like your novels.'

'Do you?'

'But you never wrote a romance novel.'

'I'm currently planning on it.'

'How will you write it when you don't believe in love?'

'Why do you think I don't believe in love?'

'I am a writer as well. I can easily guess about you from your books. For your information, I've read all your published books and even the assignments you did during university from Ryeowook hyung.'

'Creepy.'

'I would rather describe it as being enthusiastic and good at researching.'

'May I know the reason?'

'The worlds you've been creating… are beautiful but they can be even more beautiful if you just take out your bitterness.'

'The real world itself isn't beautiful.'

'It's a matter of opinion really. But I want to try a thing though.'

'And that would be?'

'To make your world beautiful.'

'Should I trust a guy whom I just met on that matter?'

Kyungsoo raised his eyebrows as he asked the question. Sehun smiled. It wasn't surprising that Kyungsoo never noticed Sehun during his years in university. Sehun had spent the entire freshman year stalking Kyungsoo, who was in his finals. Sehun replied,

'We can see. I need you to let me in to your world and let me know you.'

'I don't even know you. You know about me but I don't-'

'Do I know you? No. Do you even know yourself?'

Kyungsoo stared into Sehun's eyes. Sehun's lips were curved into a slight smile. Kyungsoo replied,

'Well, you know me a lot for someone who has met me for the first time. But why would you even want to know about me? My life is boring. And as you say, I don’t even know myself.'

'It's interesting for me. And we can work on finding the real you together.'

'Why?' Kyungsoo blurts out exasperatedly and Sehun smiles.

'Do I need a reason?'

'Yes. You do.'

'Why does the Earth revolve around the Sun?'

'Because it is attracted to it by its gravitational force,' Kyungsoo replied with a straight face but hid a smile behind a coffee cup when Sehun replied,

'I'm attracted to you as well. By a much stronger force called love.'

'You love my writings. Not me. Heck. You don't even know me.'

'I don't love your writings. They are too bitter for my taste. Like coffee beans. But coffee beans can form something sweet like a cup of cappuccino when they are mixed with a good proportion of milk and sugar. Would you like pure coffee or a cup of cappuccino?'

'How do you know that I like cappuccino?'                      

'I may or may not have stalked you.'

'That's just plain creepy.'

'I should use the phrase from my favorite book. I think you're the gentlest romanticist hiding beneath a shell of cynicism.'

'Anterograde Tomorrow by changdictator.'

'Yes. You did your analysis on it for your final assignment.'

'Creepy.'

'Being enthusiastic and good at researching. But, whatever you say, hyung. If that makes you happy.'

Kyungsoo smiled and after finishing their cups of coffee, Sehun walked Kyungsoo home and they exchanged numbers. Kyungsoo turned the doorknob of his apartment and entered to find Jongin watching television on the couch.

'How did the date go?'

'Better than I expected.'

'Oh. Great. Congrats.' Jongin replied with a monotone which sounded anything but congratulatory. Kyungsoo sighed,

'Look. It wasn't a date. He's a mentee and Ryeowook asked me to mentor him for his finals. He's a literature student and-'

'You don't need to explain it to me. It's not like I have a say in what you do in your free time.' Jongin said but felt relieved at the fact that the guy was just a mentee. Kyungsoo, on the other hand, felt a lump in his throat.

'Sure. You just looked pissed that's why. Of course. Why would you care if it was a date or not.'

'You should at least tell me if you're dating someone. I'm your best friend.'

Kyungsoo didn't reply and just went into his room. His knees gave out as soon as he closed the door and Kyungsoo rested his back onto the wooden door.

Best friend.

Kyungsoo let out a dry laugh and closed his eyes, forcing the tears to the back of his eye. His phone vibrated in his pocket and Kyungsoo brought himself to read it,

' 'Best friend' is just two words and I've never heard of it with that much bitterness as when you said it. But love takes many forms – including bitterness.'

Kyungsoo thinks that he could guess the sender even if he didn't see the name 'Oh Sehun' underneath the message. Why does that creepy guy seem to know him more than he does himself?

 

 

-

 

 

'Coffee for me and let me guess… strawberry for you?'

'Creepy.'

'Strawberry for being logical, thoughtful and intuitively oriented. Shy and reserved before committing to a relationship. Do not fall head-over-heels in love at first sight.'

'Coffee is for lively, dramatic, seductive and flirtatious people who live for the passion of the moment.'

'Ooh. You're getting to know me. Yehet~'

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes as if he was annoyed but the wide grin on his face gives everything away. Sehun ordered ice cream for the both of them and Kyungsoo waited for Sehun while sitting in a table at a secluded corner. It was typical for Kyungsoo to sit in corners and far from the attention of people. He had never been one to like attention or popularity. Kyungsoo enjoyed anonymity and the peace that came with anonymity. Kyungsoo could use the peace to observe people and it’s his hobby – to observe.

The music playing in the background changed and Maroon 5’s Demons started to play. Kyungsoo hummed in satisfaction and Sehun took his seat in front of Kyungsoo.

‘Demons. You like that song?’

‘Yeah. It’s really sweet.’

‘Sweet? It’s more like the guy is telling the girl to go away from him.’

‘If the guy really wants the girl to leave, he wouldn’t be explaining this much, I guess. I think it’s sweet to tell someone truthfully about you in a comfortable way. Revealing the demons inside and trying to tame the demons together.’

‘I’m pretty sure that the song doesn’t sound like that. It’s more like asking someone to leave.’

‘It's just a matter of opinion.'

'For me, it’s because the guy doesn’t want the girl to get hurt.’

‘So?’

‘Well, he’ll suffer the heartbreak instead of seeing the girl hurt because of him.’

‘Would you?’

‘Definitely.’

‘You never think from the girl’s side. Do you? What if it hurts more to be apart from you? She wouldn’t get hurt if the two are together. Love heals wounds-'

‘No, love doesn't heal anything.'

'…'

'It fractures you open – reveal your innermost thoughts and feeling and leaves you stark as the day you were born. It maps every crook of your thoughts and feelings by heart, leaving you nowhere to hide your ugliest emotions. The idea of opening up everything is frightening but that's what love does and in the end, we're all finding for someone who will open us up and know more about us than we do ourselves.’

‘And you want to know me?’

‘A lot.’

Silence fell. It wasn’t the type of silence which is deafening. There is this type of deafening silence where you can hear your blood drumming in your ears and your heartbeat accelerating. But no. This was the type of silence which was peaceful and calm - soothing your senses and giving an assurance that everything was going to be alright. That type of silence which you revel in. Kyungsoo broke the silence,

‘You know I like Jongin.’

‘You know I like you.’

‘Sehun-‘

‘I don’t hope for anything. Just. Just let me know you.’

‘… Okay.’

‘Okay.’

‘That sounds like flirting.’

‘Hyung, you read the Fault in our Stars too much.’

‘A bit.’

‘Okay.’

‘Okay.’

‘Okay.’

‘Aish! Stop it!!!’ Kyungsoo complained but there was a smile on his face. Sehun ruffled Kyungsoo’s hair and Kyungsoo unconsciously pouted. They fought between ‘hyung, you’re so cute’ and ‘no, I’m not’ but Kyungsoo doesn’t remember the last time he had laughed this much in many years. When they part that day, Sehun asked,

'Do you trust me now?'

'A bit.'

'Hm. That sounds good to hear for you. Considering that you are cynical after all.'

'Whatever.'

'Trust me hyung. Trust me.'

 

 

-

 

 

Kyungsoo and Sehun were currently in a chocolate shop as Sehun had insisted that he wanted to buy some chocolates as an appetizer. Kyungsoo scoffed at that because he is a grump and he doesn’t like chocolates. Sehun exclaimed,

‘Is there a human who doesn’t like chocolate?!’

‘Yeah. Me.’

‘No way!’

‘Yes way.’

‘Which chocolate don’t you like?’

‘I don’t like chocolate generally. It’s sweet for me. Why do you like chocolate?’

‘That’s the point of chocolate. It’s sweet. It melts in your mouth. It’s lovely. It lifts up your mood. It is amazing-‘

‘I get the point. But I don’t like chocolates. End of story.’

‘Come on. You must at least like a type of chocolate. There is simple chocolate, the ones with nuts, milk chocolate, dark chocolate-‘

‘Fine! I like dark chocolate.’

‘See! I told you that you would at least like a type of chocolate.’ Sehun happily clapped at his discovery and bought six packets of dark chocolate, saying that he wanted to know what Kyungsoo liked and why. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes because it’s too cheesy and sweet at the same time. Maybe sweet isn’t bad after all. Sehun blurted out,

‘By the way, have you read Fifty Shades of Grey?’

Kyungsoo coughed on his spit.

‘No!’

‘It’s quite famous among my friends and I tried to read it.’

‘And?’

‘It isn’t that good. For me.’

‘Right.’

‘Do you want to read it?’

‘No!’

‘Why not?’

‘I don’t feel comfortable with… straight .’

‘Oh. So, you do know that the book is an a.’

‘Can we not talk about this?’

‘Why are you uncomfortable with it?’

‘It’s strange.’

‘How strange?’

‘Can we not talk about this???’

‘Well, you can always borrow the trilogy from me.’

‘Sehun.’

‘Okay. Jeesh. What about gay ?’

‘Can we not talk about and a?!’ Kyungsoo somewhat yelled and the people around turned to look at the two. Sehun smirked,

‘I think you’ll be an exhibitionist.’

‘YAH! OH SEHUN!’

The owner of the chocolate shop kicked the two out the shop saying that two teenagers screaming were not needed inside the shop and Kyungsoo must say that he had never been this embarrassed in his entire life. Plus, he wasn't even a teenager anymore. Sehun laughed at Kyungsoo’s beet red face and expression. Kyungsoo kicked Sehun in the knee but the latter doesn’t stop laughing. Kyungsoo hit Sehun.

‘Stop laughing!’

‘Let’s go to the book store. We shouldn’t make noises there though. My little exhibitionist.’

‘YAH!!!’

Sehun ran and Kyungsoo followed suit, flailing his arms to try and hit the former but Sehun had longer legs and was apparently faster. By the time they reached the book store, Kyungsoo was panting hard and Sehun was smirking. Kyungsoo let out a beautiful string of curses and Sehun just laughed.

‘You can find Fifty Shades of Grey that side.’

‘Stop it.’

Kyungsoo slapped Sehun’s arm and took a book he saw on his first glance – 10080 by exobubz. It was one of his favorite books and of course, it was angst. In the story, Chanyeol and Baekhyun - the main characters - were deeply in love with each other until they lived separatedly for their careers; Baekhyun was an author and Chanyeol was in marketing and business. Later on, Chanyeol found love in his colleague - D.O. - while Baekhyun had brain cancer. Baekhyun asks Chanyeol to stay with him for a week (10080 minutes) before their divorce without letting Chanyeol know about his disease. The story ended with Baekhyun's death and Chanyeol reading Baekhyun's novel after finding out Baekhyun's death.

Sehun looked at the book and smiled in realization,

‘It’s a great book.’

‘It is.’

‘What do you think happened next? To Chanyeol and D.O.’

‘I think they would break up. Considering the ending where Chanyeol missed Baekhyun. I don’t think he would be able to date someone if he already has someone in his heart.’

‘You think D.O. won’t be able to replace Baekhyun?’

‘He had a long time relationship with Baekhyun. There are too many memories to erase. And D.O. is someone he had met for short time. They don’t have enough memories together.’

‘It’s not like you have to erase all the memories to move on. You can cherish the memories and move on at the same time. The amount of memories doesn’t really matter much. The content matters.’

‘But still, more time means that they could have made more precious memories together.’

‘Like you and Jongin?’

Kyungsoo understood what Sehun was driving to and not bothered to reply to the question. Sehun continued,

‘Do we have enough precious memories together even if we've met only for a short time?’

When Sehun walked Kyungsoo home that night, they bumped into Jongin who was waiting in front of the apartment for Kyungsoo. Sehun texted Kyungsoo that night,

'I think he likes you.'

Kyungsoo did not reply.

 

-

 

 

Kyungsoo made way and Sehun entered the apartment with two ice cream tubs. Jongin lifted his gaze from his laptop and raised an eyebrow. Sehun introduced himself,

'We met the other day right? Kim Jongin?'

'Yeah, Sehun, if I remember correctly. What brings you here?'

'I'm helping Kyungsoo with his new novel.'

'I thought Kyungsoo is supposed to be mentoring you?'

'That too.'

Jongin took in Sehun's appearance. He had the looks. Jealousy sparked in Jongin's mind. Sehun had his brown hair flipped upwards, showcasing his sharp features clearly. The defined jawline and the blank look screamed that Sehun was probably a Casanova. Jongin's fists were clenched on his side at the thought. What was this guy planning? Kyungsoo returned with scoops of ice cream in cups and handed one to both of them. Sehun spoke,

'You didn't reply to my message last night.'

Kyungsoo stared at Sehun in response. Sehun stared back and continued,

'Seemed like I hit the bull's-eye.'

'You're just downright creepy.'

'I told you it's being enthusiastic and good at researching.'

'Whatever.'

'Grumpy, aren't we? What happened?'

'Nothing happened.'

'Hm. It's disappointing for you that nothing happened. You were expecting some sort of jealousy to surface, weren't you?'

'Enough about that.'

'As you say, hyung.'

Jongin frowned at the conversation taking place right in front of his eyes. He couldn't understand what the two were talking about and couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed. It felt as if this he was intruding in their personal space, a world in which Kyungsoo and Sehun only knows. Jongin threw a pointed glare at Sehun, not even bothering to hide his distaste.

Kyungsoo was supposed to be his and his only.

Sehun and Kyungsoo started on their work – Kyungsoo reading the writings Sehun did during his four years of college. He was supposed to comment on them and look for Sehun's weaknesses. Kyungsoo immersed himself in Sehun's work. He was surprised to read that Sehun's very first work in college was downright masochistic – a superhero story written from the villain's point of view.

Kyungsoo blocks out all his senses when he's reading and he cannot hear his surroundings.

Meanwhile, Jongin and Sehun were engaged in a glaring contest. Sehun smirked when he saw Jongin's straight face. He likes Kyungsoo too. Not surprising. The only surprising thing is that they are not together. Jongin pointed towards a room and Sehun followed him into it. Kyungsoo was left in the living room, oblivious that Jongin and Sehun went inside Jongin's room.

'I don't think you're here with innocent intentions.'

'Well, why do you think I'm here then?'

'Don't play with Kyungsoo's feelings. Not that Kyungsoo will be interested in a guy like you but I'm warning you.'

'A guy like me?'

'A playboy. Obviously.'

'And why is that your concern?'

'Kyungsoo is my best friend.'

'So? You're not his boyfriend anyway. You don't have a say in whoever Kyungsoo likes-'

Jongin grabbed Sehun by the collar and slammed the male onto the door.

'I'm warning you. Kyungsoo is mine.'

'Kyungsoo is no one's. And, you said you're just his best friend.'

'He'll be my boyfriend.'

'We'll see about that.'

'Jongin? Sehun? What was that door slam about?' Kyungsoo's voice boomed and Jongin released his grip on Sehun, leaving the room. Sehun chuckled and followed suit to find Jongin sitting beside Kyungsoo with his arm draping casually on Kyungsoo's shoulders. Sehun's heart tightened at that. He was trying for a lost cause. Kyungsoo and Jongin liked each other and all they need was a little spark. But here he was – wishing for a senior who he stalked for a whole year before Kyungsoo graduated. Kyungsoo never noticed him at college. Not that he cares about him now either.

'How're they?'

'They're great,' Kyungsoo replied to Jongin who asked how Sehun's works were. Jongin rested his head on Kyungsoo's narrow shoulders and Kyungsoo lightly rested his head on Jongin's. Sehun flopped onto the seat next to them. Sehun asked,

'So, how is it?'

'Masochistic.'

'Do you like white roses or red roses?'

Kyungsoo contemplated for a moment. 'White,' he answered. Sehun replied,

'Same here. Generally, masochists like white roses and sadists like red roses.'

'Tsk. Those personality tests are never true,' Jongin butted in. Kyungsoo tensed at the tension building up in the atmosphere. Why was Jongin acting like this today? Normally, he was the sociable one. Sehun's smile didn't falter despite Jongin's bluntness. He spoke,

'They are right sometimes. At least for me. They make it easier to guess things about people as well. It's fun.'

'Do you guess about people just for fun?'

'If that someone is interesting enough to guess. There's only one person I've ever tried that though. I bet you don't.'

'I don't do creepy analysis on people.'

'I'm just curious about one person. I want to know him and explore his heart which is sealed under layers and layers of fakeness and secrecy. It might be creepy but I can't stop this feeling of wanting to know someone like the back of my hand and wanting to know more until the point I have no more to know about.'

Silence fell and Kyungsoo commented,

'You could use that in your future works. That was quite touching.'

Sehun bit farewell, deciding that it was enough for the day and Kyungsoo waved him goodbye while Jongin just glared at Kyungsoo who was sending off Sehun. Kyungsoo turned to Jongin as soon as Sehun left,

'Bother to tell me why you are being an today?'

'Are you feeling sorry for Sehun?'

'He did nothing. You were provoking him.'

'So? Are you bothered by that?'

'He's my guest, Jongin.'

'Not because you like him?'

'No! What makes you think that I like him?'

'Because you're complaining about my actions towards him and you just met him a few days ago. You're supposed to be on my side!'

'I would be on your side if you're not acting like a spoiled brat.'

'Of course. Now I am just a spoiled brat to your eyes when your prince charming has waltzed into your life. Why didn't you follow him and go apologize instead for my rudeness instead of sitting here with a spoiled brat?'

'Jongin, you know I didn't mean it that way.'

'I thought you were my best friend.'

Jongin stood up and stormed into his room, closing the door with a slam. Kyungsoo buried his face in his palm. Best friend. Kyungsoo winced at the word. Kyungsoo's phone vibrated, indicating a text. Kyungsoo reluctantly read it to find Sehun's short message.

'Sorry.'

Kyungsoo threw the phone on the sofa, not bothering to reply to the message.

 

 

-

 

 

 

Knock. Knock. Kyungsoo knocked on Jongin's door and the door opened, revealing Jongin who was fully dressed up. Kyungsoo had just finished cooking breakfast for the two of them, planning to apologize to Jongin for the night before. Jongin spoke first,

'I have an appointment to make.'

'It's seven in the morning. I cooked some breakfast. Why don't you-'

'I said I have an appointment,' Jongin curtly said as he walked past Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo stopped him as he grabbed on Jongin's wrist. Kyungsoo softly spoke,

'I'm sorry for yesterday.'

'Don't be. I was being a jerk. It's not my business on whoever you want to date, after all.' Jongin shrugged off Kyungsoo's hand as he left the apartment. As he slammed the door close, Jongin groaned, knowing that he was simply being a jerk. Kyungsoo let his tears fall as he was left petrified in front of Jongin's room. Kyungsoo bitterly smiled at the realization that it had been seven years since he first met Jongin. Since his heart grew to hate the title of being a best friend.

Kyungsoo takes out his phone and dials Sehun.

'Can you-' Kyungsoo stopped as his voice cracked and he took a sharp inhale of breath. It was everything that took for Sehun to come running to Kyungsoo's apartment at seven in the morning. As soon as Kyungsoo opened the door, he collapsed to Sehun's arms and Sehun held Kyungsoo as the latter broke. They ended up on the couch as they looked at the pitter-patter of the rain on the windowsill. Kyungsoo spoke,

'The sky is crying.'

'The sun is still shining though.'

'What are you even saying? There're just dark clouds.'

'The sun is shining behind the dark clouds. We just can't see it. Like happiness. It's always there. We just can't see it sometimes.'

'My life must be a night.'

'You still have the moon.'

'A moonless night. No stars as well,' Kyungsoo added in. Sehun chuckled,

'You're so pessimistic.'

'Seven years.'

'Since you first met Jongin?'

'Yes.'

'He likes you though.'

'… What makes you say that?'

'He told me yesterday. Himself.'

Kyungsoo sat up straight and stared at Sehun. Sehun continued,

'He said I was a play boy and I shouldn't mess with your feelings. That you're his and you'll become his boyfriend.'

Kyungsoo blinks, trying to digest the information.

'He likes you.'

 


 

How was it??? I think it's a bit different from what i usually write aka fluff and romcom. This is sorta deep in my opinion. Lol. xD 

May or may not be based on personal experience. ;)

Any similarity to any fic or book or whatever is truly a coincidence because this is a real life thing.

Please subscribe, comment and upvote?