Look Closer

Background Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I don’t think I could stand this any longer,” Baekhyun’s lips were pulled down to a frown as he took his seat beside Chanyeol who looked at him with worry etched on his face.

“What are you talking about, Baekhyun?” Junmyeon tilted his head in confusion. “You even called us over here,” it is a nice Friday afternoon and they should be scampering away from school but no, Baekhyun had to hold them back for some reason.

“I do believe that we really have to do something already,” Baekhyun replied with a force of conviction.

“Do something about what? And where are Jongin and Kyungsoo, anyway?” Junmyeon noticed that the two were not there with them, which is odd. It would be understandable the Yixing won’t be able to join them because of his Korean Language elective but Jongin and Kyungsoo has always been wherever the three of them are.

“You know, hyung. That is kind of the point. I’m talking about those two that’s why I only told you,” Baekhyun lowered his voice into a whisper because there might be somebody who will eavesdrop in their conversation. “Besides, Kyungie has a shift at the café right now. Jongin most certainly is walking him there,” he rolled his eyes.

“Okay, I’m leaving. This is something crazy,” the elder raised his hand and was about to leave when Baekhyun reached across to grip his arm and looked at him with pleading eyes. He can totally understand how those are Chanyeol’s weakness.

“Don’t, hyung. I just want to do this because, you know? I feel really bad for Jongin. Right, Yeollie?” Baekhyun turned to his boyfriend who nodded solemnly and looked at their hyung too. Junmyeon sighed in defeat and sat back, facing the couple who looked troubled.

“What about Jongin? Did he fail an exam again?” Jongin isn’t exactly the sharpest pencil in the box but ever since Kyungsoo has taken a dedication to help the younger study, Jongin hasn’t failed anymore. Well, if he did, Jongin would deserve his sympathy because Kyungsoo will surely beat him up. He chuckled to himself.

“No! If he did, we might hear of his death already,” Baekhyun grumbled. “That is not what I’m talking about, hyung! I’m talking about his years old unrequited love,” he sighed dramatically and put a hand over his heart. “I can’t take it anymore.”

“Wait,” Junmyeon was just confused. “Unrequited love? Jongin? Since when did he have that unrequited love you are talking about?”

“He had it ever since he has met Kyungsoo, hyung,” it was Chanyeol who answered as he patted Baekhyun’s back to calm the other.

Junmyeon laughed. “Are you guys serious?”

Baekhyun pouted. How could their hyung be this insensitive? “Of course we are! And you are laughing at Jongin’s pain!” he exclaimed. Thankfully, the school grounds are barely with other people at that moment.

“I am not laughing at Jongin. I am laughing at the two of you,” Junmyeon continued his laughing that he had to clutch his stomach and his jaw is starting to hurt.

“Wow, hyung. We are just being good friends but you are being a douche,” Baekhyun slumped on his seat and leaned towards Chanyeol who was looking at their cracking hyung like he looks like an alien.

“Sorry. It’s just that I don’t understand where that unrequited thing came from that’s why I am laughing.”

“It is unrequited love hyung because when did Kyungsoo ever pay attention to Jongin? When did he acknowledge the poor kid’s efforts for him? When will he see how much Jongin has changed ever since they got close? Kyungie is just always giving Jongin a cold shoulder, a glare or even a hit on the head but then the lovestruck fool would still come back and chase after him, It’s saddening how blind Kyungsoo could be,” Baekhyun explained while Chanyeol is nodding in agreement to him all the while.

“You silly brats,” Junmyeon smiled at them like a not-so-scolding parent. “You are the ones who are blind.”

“We’re not the only one who sees that, hyung! You can go ask Sehun and Luhan. They’ve noticed how Kyungsoo is totally oblivious to the world. Also our classmates said the same thing,” Baekhyun pressed. “I want to help those two because Kyungie is already graduating with us next year and Jongin will be left alone here if he doesn’t get to Kyungsoo’s nonchalance. Poor Jongin might not be able to live through it,” he sniffed.

“Everything will be okay, Baek,” Chanyeol pulled his boyfriend, who buried his face onto his chest, closer.

The eldest sighed. “Jongin won’t be needing your help, Baekhyun. Trust me.”

“But hyung, all his efforts are going down the drain…”

“It’s not, Baekhyun,” Junmyeon cut the younger off whose jaw dropped at what his hyung has said.

“What do you mean, hyung?”

Junmyeon leaned closer to the couple who did the same until their chests are almost pressed onto the table. “Kim Jongin’s efforts doesn’t go unnoticed. You two are just not seeing how Kyungsoo is as whipped as Jongin is. They’re really cute,” he giggled as he saw shock painted on Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s faces.

“How is that even possible?!” the boyfriends chorused.

“Why don’t you try to have a closer look?”

 

“Sir, if you are not going to order, please give to the other customers,” Kyungsoo spoke in a clipped tone and Jongin smiled dopily at the professional façade that his super favorite hyung is putting up. Baekhyun and Chanyeol who were standing behind Jongin narrowed their eyes at Junmyeon who just shrugged. Kyungsoo is whipped, my , Baekhyun thought.

“But you are so cute like this, hyung. I can look at you all day and not get tired,” Jongin reasoned and pouted a little.

“KIM JONGIN…”

“Okay, just the usual, please.”

“Well, hyung. That went well,” Baekhyun remarked sarcastically as his eyes followed a dejected looking Jongin heading to one of the booths. They followed the younger as Chanyeol placed their orders for him. Baekhyun patted Jongin’s back before sitting across him and Junmyeon slid in beside the pouting male.

After a few minutes, Chanyeol came with their drinks and he has also gotten Jongin’s. He distributed them a little clumsily as he took the space beside his boyfriend who he immediately pulled to his lap. Baekhyun slapped his boyfriend playfully and took a sip on his drink. He was feeling all comfortable with Chanyeol’s warmth around him when he felt a kick from under the table.

“What the ?” he breathed and glared at his Junmyeon hyung. He could only be the culprit behind the kicking. His hyung was then gesturing for him to be silent and he subtly pointed at Jongin who is looking at his cup like it was a pot of gold.

Curiosity won over Baekhyun. “Hey, Jongin.”

“Yes, hyung?” the dopey smile is back and Baekhyun won’t be surprised if the kid will suddenly sprout ears and a tail because he does look like an overjoyed puppy.

“What’s with your cup?” the elder asked and Jongin was all too willing to share the reason of his joy and happy heart.

Written on the cup, in Kyungsoo’s handwriting, are the words:

Jongie, you look cute when you pout, as always ;)

Baekhyun and Chanyeol choked on their drinks.

 

“Ooh, you look awful, Sehun-ah,” Baekhyun remarked as the younger took a seat on their lunch table Yixing was also eyeing the younger with concern. Luhan soon followed with Chanyeol and Kyungsoo who took their usual seats, Luhan beside the half-awake Sehun, Chanyeol beside his boyfriend and Kyungsoo in the middle of two more seats that are to be taken.

Luhan tried to pry Sehun’s eyes open but Sehun just leaned his head on his boyfriend’s and closed his eyes as if to sleep. “If I look awful, Jongin looks worse trust me.”

On cue, Jongin did enter the cafeteria looking like a wobbling zombie followed by Junmyeon. The younger has miraculously found his seat and dropped his on it then his forehead landing on the table with a thud.

“Oww,” Baekhyun cringed. He was about to pay attention to the hungry and whiny Chanyeol when a movement caught his eye.

Kyungsoo’s hand is now resting on Jongin’s back and rubbing it slowly. The younger tried to sit up straight but all he could manage is a slouch and when his forehead is about to make contact on the table once again, Kyungsoo’s hand traveled up to Jongin’s nape and massaged it lightly. For some reason, Jongin was able to sit normally but his eyes are still closed. Kyungsoo said something but it was too low for Baekhyun to hear. He could read his friend’s lips though.

“What happened?” Kyungsoo asked Jongin.

“Dance practice last night and this morning,” Jongin replied in a low voice too. Baekhyun noted Kyungsoo’s hand still on the younger’s nape.

“Hungry?” the elder asked the sleepy dongsaeng who just nodded in response. Kyungsoo shook his head but with a small smile, he picked a piece of kimbab and placed it on Jongin’s lips that parted at the smell of food wafting on his nose.

“Thanks, hyung,” Jongin whispered making Kyungsoo smile a little wider. Baekhyun felt a nudge on his side and he was faced with a pouting boyfriend who he pecked on the lips before shoving a spoonful of rice to his face. His attention was divided in between Chanyeol and Jongin and Kyungsoo who were silently feeding each other. Jongin’s eyes are still closed but he managed to put food into Kyungsoo.

When Jongin finally opened his eyes, he rubbed them with his fists that Kyungsoo hit lightly. With a handkerchief, the elder took it upon himself to help the younger in case he accidentally erases his eyes. As Kyungsoo put the hanky away, Jongin smiled down at him which he shyly returned and he turned to his lunch box to put it back into his bag.

Baekhyun tugged on Junmyeon’s sleeve. The elder turned to him with a puzzled look and he pointed to Jongin and Kyungsoo who seemed to be locked in a silent conversation with just staring to each other’s eyes.

“Are they always like that?”

“Like what, Baek?”

“Like, I dunno, cheesily sweet that it makes my head hurt?”

Junmyeon chuckled. “Every lunch.”

“What the heck?”

“Told you. You just have to look closer,” with a wink, the elder grabbed his bag and stood with Yixing who was in his next class too.

 

“Kyungie! Come on! You just have to show up there and enjoy,” Baekhyun whined at Kyungsoo who is scowling at him.

“You know that I don’t like noisy places, Baek. And a concert for ’s sakes!”

“It’s not a rock band, you poop. It’s an acoustic duo and yeah, Yeollie’s got a bunch of tickets and it would just be a waste if you won’t go!” he grabbed on Kyungsoo’s arm and he shook it violently. He got a pretty violent whack in the head in return.

It just so hap

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter