003

My kind of day with you

He stopped the car and looked around. He exhaled a deep breath. This place holds so many memories of his past. It has been years since the last time he came here. He wondered whether the owner of the café they used to spend time together still remembers him as a young Kang Hee Gun who’d always wandered in his dreams back then. Everything looked the same as it was 5 years ago. It looked the same, felt the same, and he then realized that what has changed is actually him.

Yes. He is not the same Kang Hee Gun. He had grown so much. He had moved on. From this place a long time ago. But he can’t deny that this place holds a part of him. So does her.

A text came in suddenly. Upon looking at the written message, he got out from the car, made sure that his face is hidden under the cap, he made his way into the café. There aren’t many customers in it, a couple of lovebird, a group of men laughing while chatting loudly and a woman sitting hidden at the very corner of the café alone. Only looking from her backview he recognized her instantly. He himself was shocked at it. He thought he could barely remember her face after so long. He wordlessly walked to her and sat in front of her.

She was wearing a long sleeve black hoodie and black shades. Her long hair covered both side of her face. She removed her shades and lifted her face and their eyes met for the first time in 4 years. she looked exactly the same like the girl he once loved. He noticed her eyes looked sad and couldn't find the twinkle she used to have everytime she smiled.

They both were silent for a moment. Searching for the right word to say.

“ How have you been?”

“ I’ve been well. Oppa you?”

“ Me too as you can see,”

….

“ This place hasn’t changed a bit right. Even the workers is still the same guy, ah, I wander if he remembered us, haha” he was trying to break the awkward atmosphere there. He knew there is something wrong because she won’t call him out of the blue after 4 years losing contact.

She smiled at him, knowing his intention to make her feel less uncomfortable. He’s still the same considerate guy she met at the ski resort years ago. It was his attentive and straight-forward personality that attracted her in the first place eventhough he was just an average looking guy at that time.

He smiled back at her, realized that she understand what he was trying to do. They were this kind of couple back then. Even the other didn’t say it, the other knows what was the other was thinking. He noticed that she still have the dimple in her left cheek, but he can’t help but noticed it wasn’t as bright as before.

“ Did something happen?”

Her words was stuck at the end of . She avoided his eyes by looking down and silently shook her head no.

That just convinced him more that something did happen. She can never lie at him just how he can’t lie to her. He knows her too well.

“ Don’t lie to me,”

“ I’m telling you the truth oppa. I was just reminded of you suddenly and decided to see you for a while,”

He won’t fall for that.

At that moment the waiter came to deliver his coffee and accidently spilled some of the hot coffee on the table. Some spilled on her sleeves. She took out some tissues from her bag and cleaned it. At that moment, he noticed something. Bruise and cuts on her right arm. She noticed where he was looking at quickly pulled down the sleeve.

“ What is that? “ he asked.

“ I fell few days ago,”

He wasn’t satisfied. He didn’t believed her. he pulled her right arm and she flinched in pain. He folded the sleeve up and saw more bruises and even marks of wounds.

She pulled her hand from his grip and was avoiding his gaze. He’s not sure whether he should do it or not, but he was certain something happen and it must be something bad. He slowly stretched out his hand and held her hand. it still fits perfectly in his. when their skin touched he felt a spark reignited for a moment.

“ It’s me. You can tell anything to me. I’m here for you,”

“..Gary oppa..i ..” her voice was trembling and tears were threatening to fall.

He shhhh her gently and told her to let it all out. She covered her face down on the table with her hand and sobbing quietly with her other hand in his. She was crying like a little child in front of him. Gary felt like hugging her seeing her like this. He was patient and comforted her.

She opened up to him. She told him everything after she was calm. About her abusive husband. Always came back home drunken. Letting out his frustration and temper to her. he also threatened her not to tell any of her family members or she will pay. All her close friends were also good friend with him and he kept on eye on them to. She didn’t want to harm them or anything. She told him, how the first year of their marriage was going well, and they were having a baby. But she had a miscarriage and after that his business started to face problems. He started to blame her for the miscarriage and his business failure. He made her his punching bag. She didn’t know who to turn to. She can’t stand it anymore and ran away from home a week ago.

Gary clenched his fist. He was furious to hear all the sufferings her husband had put her through. Not any woman deserves to be treated like that. When he finally let go of her before, it was because he was convinced that that man would take a good care of her, gives her the happiness in this world that he failed to do. But after hearing all this, he was burning with rage inside. If he sees him, he will put a hole in his face.

“ I want to apologize to you oppa. I know it is not right for me to ask you to come like this suddenly. We have no relationship anymore. After all that I did to you I..” before she could finish he cut off her.

“shhh…don’t talk like that. What do you mean by we have no relationship. We are friends right,”

“Thank you oppa,” she smiled at him

“ you said you ran away from home. So where are you living currently?”

“ I’ve been staying at different cheap motel from time to time. I’m afraid he would find me if I stayed at a place for too long. I also cannot spend too much many on accommodation. It’s enough for me. I also can’t go back to my parent’s house. I’m afraid he will create chaos or do anything to harm them.”

He knew it is still dangerous for her to live alone out there with no one to count on. He was deep in thinking for a while, figuring out a way to help her.

“ You living alone out there is still not safe. He still can find sooner or later. You remember my house in Kangnam? I live in Hapjeong dong now. You go and stay there for the moment.”

“ No oppa. I can’t do that. My rented place is just enough for me. I don’t want to trouble anyone. I didn’t call you to trouble you, I just need a friend.”

 “ This is exactly what a friend will do if a friend is in trouble. Right? Just do what I say for now okay? Please?”

“ Alright then, but I insist on paying the rent. Okay oppa?”

“ Whatever you want,” he was grateful enough that she agreed to him.

After picking up her things at the motel she was renting, he sent her off at his old place. After sending her at the door himself, he looked at the watch and saw the time was already late and jihyo should already be dozing off now.

“ Wow this place has changed a lot. I remembered this living used to only had a couch and the television where we would all watch television and fell asleep here. And this cabinet, haha I remembered gil oppa once sat on it and the leg got broken. And we stayed all night trying to put it back together, And this room used to be your mini studio, now it has became a store,” she turned to looked at him.

He smiled at it. The memories were still vivid in his mind. They both got lost for a moment in the memory lane. He coughed a little to break the moment.

He gave her the keys and some took some money from his wallet.

“ What is this oppa? I told you I don’t want to be a trouble. I have my money. It’s still enough for me,”

“ This money is for the groceries. Tomorrow go and buy some for the kitchen. It’s part of the rental. Please take it. Don’t argue with me now, take it,” he shoved the money into her bag.

“ Okay fine, but I’ll pay you back with the rent later,”

“ Do as you like,”

He looked at the watch again and decided it’s time to go.

“ I’ll be going then,”

“ Huh? I thought you were spending the night here. It’s late already, you sure you can drive?”

“ Yes. I’ll be fine,”

“ Oh, okay…”

“ Remember to lock the doors okay. Goodnight, bye,”

She sent him off with a smile.