[Chansoo] Not a bird, not a plane

Late Night Drabbles

Author: ShiningRose

Pairing: Chanyeol/Kyungsoo

 

It’s late in the morning. Chanyeol knows he slept in too long, and hey, he missed his first class but it’s no biggie. Just a geology lab, and standing in line at the best bagel shop on campus, no, in the city, no, in the world no doubt is a way better use of time. 

He yawns, scratches his head. He probably looks like and who knows what clothes he even found to throw over his head. His roommate Sehun says it’s a miracle if Chanyeol even remembers to put on underwear some days. At least he’s properly dressed now. Chanyeol yawns again and twists his upper body to stretch, narrowly missing the guy in line behind him with his upturned elbows, arms parallel to the floor. 

“Sorry,” he says half-heartedly, continuing to twist as the shorter male is forced to take one step back. The smell of fresh baked bagels is starting to get to him, making his nose sniff as the scent wafts lovingly across the shop. 

He thinks he hears the same guy scoff. Upon twisting further he gets a glimmer of a black hair and large, round, accusing eyes. Chanyeol smiles, like that’s going to make it all better and turns back around. 

“Sure, whatever you say,” the guy grunts back. Chanyeol ignores him, because more important than making enemies in the bagel line is that line moving up a foot now that some soul luckier than him has his bagel already in his mouth. He jumps forward, excited because food is that much closer. He doesn’t realize he’s swung his arms again until he hears the guy behind him squawk as he’s forced to duck one more time. Oops.

“Sorry!” he chokes back, now feeling kind of ty because he’s really not here to piss off the world, or that guy. He just wants a bagel!

“Yeah, you said that before.”

“Hey, man, I’m really sorry! I’m just… hungry! And a little excited!”

“Sure, okay.” 

Apparently Mr. grumpy black hair doesn’t share his enthusiasm for bagels. He actually starts mumbling to the guy behind him, his buddy evidently by their conspiratorial whispers. 

That’s okay. Man, that’s totally okay. They can talk about him all they want. Chanyeol doesn’t care. He’s here for his breakfast, his bagel, his life nourishing carbs with a slab of melted cheese and creamy spread on top. Make fun of his hair, make fun of his gangly arms, make fun of his over-eager love of bagels, who is he to care? He lets them snicker. 

Yeah, that’s right, call him a skinny giant, Chanyeol can live with that. Nothing he hasn’t heard before. He twists again to make sure the black-haired one knows he’s onto him. He narrows his eyes—and yep this is as intimidating as Chanyeol gets—before straightening his body again and putting it all behind him. 

Nothing he hasn’t heard before. No matter. No biggie. Until—

“And what is he even wearing?” says the second guy with a little laugh. 

“Looks like something out of his little brother’s closet,” says black hair. “If he was born maybe fifty years ago.”

Chanyeol stiffens up, suddenly indignant. He doesn't’ even remember what he’s wearing until he glances down at his shirt and oh no they didn’t. Before he can retaliate the black-haired one snickers again and says something like, “Is that his idea of a super hero? Pfft.”

Chanyeol can’t handle it anymore. Insult his hair, his height, even maybe his clothes themselves but you do not insult—

“Is that a plane?” 

“It’s a bird!”

“It’s a frog!”

“A frog? No, it’s Underdog!”

More snickers, and this time Chanyeol spins around, every malicious bone in his body venting through his nostrils. 

“Excuse you me, but did I just hear you talking about my superhero?!” he spats.

Because Underdog may be old as hell, and maybe he’s not the coolest most modern super hero of all but hey, you do not insult a dog. “You do not insult Underdog!” 

Chanyeol notices with satisfaction that the second guy has backed away considerably, although the black hair one stands his ground, lips curled up in a sneer like he’s ready for this fight. Oh he’s ready, and Chanyeol is too. 

“Come on, say that to my face. Say that to Underdog!” He pumps his fist against the ratty old tee which is vintage, thank you very much, waiting for the boy to react. 

Instead, the sneer turns into a laugh, and quite a comical one at that. Chanyeol doesn’t know what to make of this turn of events. He was ready to lay some smack, not… be amused. And damn is this guy actually kind of attractive, laughing at Chanyeol instead of glowering at him.

“I’m Kyungsoo,” he says. And huh? 

“Why are you telling me your name?” Chanyeol is confused.

Black hair, no, Kyungsoo shrugs. “Just thought I’d introduce myself. Polite thing to do you know, even though you’re the one who almost took my head off earlier.”

“Uhhh… I’m Chanyeol? And look I apologized. I just… don’t like people to make fun of…”

“Underdog?” says Kyungsoo, another laugh on the tip of his tongue. “I was just having fun. Actually I really liked your shirt. It’s cool.”

“My shirt is cool?” Chanyeol doesn’t know what else to do except repeat nonsense. 

“Yeah. Although, really—you should step up and order already. Lots of people waiting in line for a bagel today.”

Chanyeol swirls around and sure enough there’s no one in front of him now and just one irritated employee waiting for him to step forward and order. , he’d already forgotten about food. How was that possible!?

He chuckles nervously, practically springs over to the counter to tell the cashier his order. Kyungsoo is right behind him, still whispering to his friend but this time it sounds a little… different?

“You should ask him out,” whispers the second guy to Kyungsoo, and Chanyeol almost drops the napkin he’s holding preemptively while he waits for his bagel. 

“What?!” 

“Oh, oops,” says the other guy, while Kyungsoo blushes and whispers back, “Shut up, Jongdae!” 

Well, this is awkward… but maybe it won't end up being such a disappointing morning after all?