Final

Last Day of School

We did it. We survived the torture that grownups put us through. We survived the drama, the hardships, and the work. We survived school. Well, that’s at least what I thought, but that’s when reality comes in and tells me that “y/n, you still have ONE day left, your freedom hasn’t started yet” and as always, reality is right. I still have to get up early, get in my uniform, go to school at some god early time in the morning, and go through the same boring routine. I dread it, in fact I despise it, but there is one thing that does make my whole torture worthwhile. Minhyuk. The hottest, most popular, guy in the school. Well, he’s not THE most popular, but he’s one of them. I’ve had a crush on him ever since kindergarten. Yes kindergarten I know it’s sad, but it’s true. He’s the perfect guy except for one thing, he’s an . Seriously he is! He’s really rude, gets in trouble A LOT, and his grades are eh. So your probably wondering why I have a crush ever since kindergarten on someone who’s an , well actually he wasn’t always like this. It wasn’t until middle school he started acting like this, and my crush started before then.

The thing is, he’s only an to everyone else. Like all of those REALLY rare times I actually say something to him he’s ok, but not like overly y or rude but he’s not SUPER kind to me either. I guess he just really doesn’t care to be rude to me, but it works for me! In middle school, I had all of these times where I would think he might actually like me. HA! Man was I wrong! Just stupid things like how he would never say anything bad to me (let alone anything at all), how on the last day of 7th grade, when I asked him to sign my yearbook (which took a whole lot of guts I must say) he wrote his name REALLY slowly and carefully, almost like he was trying to write neat, and how one time he tried pranking some girl (who’s a ) by putting a sticker on her but accidently mistaken her for me and apologized (which never comes out of him), I would think that meant he liked me right? WRONG! It meant nothing, nada, zilch. I finally got over that fantasy by high school and finally accepted the fact that the most popular guy in school can’t ever seem to like a girl who’s practically almost invisible.

I went to school just like any other day, met up with my few friends, and went on with life. Unlike everyone else who thought it was already summer, I still focused in class. Well, half of the time, the other half I would be looking at Minhyuk. It’s not like I really have to pay attention, I am the smartest person in the grade and I already know all of this stuff. Besides we’ve already graduated and everything so it’s not like we can learn anything new.

When the bell rang I went to my locker and opened it with everything organized from class period. Suddenly Minhyuk comes up next to me and opens his messy locker which seems to never end in trash. OH! I did forget to mention that his locker was next to mine. It’s both a blessing, and a curse. With all of his friends coming up to him and playing around, it gets quite annoying. But they don’t acknowledge my presence at all so it’s all good.

“Hey Hyuk! Did you get HyunAh’s invite to the swimming party at her house after school today?” Eunkwang, one of Minhyuk’s delinquent friends, asked him.

“Yeah” Minhyuk said and closed his locker hard giving me a slight startle like it always does.

“You’re coming right?” Eunkwang asks

“Of course! I can’t miss seeing chicks in a bikini can I?” Minhyuk jokes and they walk away. Sometimes I really question myself into who I like. I sigh and close my locker and next thing I know I see HyunAh come up to me holding out a letter.

“Hey y/n! I’m having a pool party after school today to celebrate the end of school and you should totally come!” she says and I take the letter and scan it. “You’re coming right?”

“Um, I don’t really like those kinds of things” I say shyly

“Aww but you NEED to come! You’ll never be able to see anyone in the grade after today again!” she whines. That is true, I’ll never see anyone in this horrible grade ever again, thank god. But that means I won’t ever see Minhyuk again either. I guess it’s for the better, my childish crush from kindergarten will finally end after I go to college. “I don’t know, I’ll have to think about it” I say just to get HyunAh off my back.

“Alrighty then, but I DO expect to see you though!” and she smiles and leaves to go with all of her other popular friends. I do admit out of all of the es in this grade, she’s one of the nicest.

“Come ON y/n! You need to gooooo!” one of my friends, Suzy, whines. “It’s the end of the year and we won’t be able to see each other when we go to college!”

“We still have summer you know?” I say

“YAH! We only have like two months together. TWO MONTHS! Then we’ll have to be separated! It’s just painful to talk about!” she fake cries and I laugh a bit.

“Haha Suzy, you’re always so sensitive to that kind of stuff” I say and pat her shoulder “Alright I’ll go” I say and she squeals and hugs me.

“AHHHH I never thought this moment would come!!! Y/n y/ln is FINALLY going to a party! You didn’t even go to prom either!!!” I laugh at her cuteness and we go to the next class. At least I’ll be able to see Minhyuk one more time before I have to say goodbye.

 

It was loud. There was music playing insanely loud, people screaming, and the blazing sun was basically cooking me alive. There were girls in really skimpy bikinis, guys checking them out, and people making out left and right like it was the last day of the world. And here I was, sitting underneath an umbrella in a tank top and jean shorts while watching everyone else. Suzy was wearing a cute one-piece and was hanging out with other people since she is more talkative than I am. I’m sitting on a beach chair with my knees pulled up against my chest just trying to come to a conclusion on why I exactly came here in the first place. Suzy comes up to me, all wet after being in the pool and sits on the end of the beach chair, “You need to get in the pool! It is a swimming party after all”

“I said I would go to the party, I never said I would actually get in the pool itself” and she scoffs

“You are unbelievable you know that right?” she says. I shrug and she waves me goodbye before leaving. After she leaves, the first thing I see is Minhyuk, except now he is shirtless showing off his abs, muscles, and his god like figure. Man he was blessed by god or something. He jumped into the pool making a big splash making all of the girls squeal (for like the 1,000th time I swear) and then they all started playing this chicken fight game thing. This one girl got on Ilhoon’s shoulders and another on Peniel’s. It was quite amusing watching them play acting like idiots.

I’ve always just stayed to the side and watched everyone else. I have a fear of people judging me and I have a fear of a multiple amount of people staring at me at the same time. Basically I have social anxiety and I hate it. I wish I was a cheery person, I wish I could be cute, I wish I could not care about what other people thought of me, I wished a lot of things, but they will never come true. After today, I won’t have to worry about that anymore, I won’t have to see anyone ever again and when I get to collage, I can become a new person.

I check the time and its 7:38. I’ve been here for at least two hours already. I finally get up and decide that there’s nothing else for me to do here and make the effort to leave. The only thing I’m going to do is torture myself into watching Minhyuk more and more and watch other people having fun when I am clearly not. I thought that because my existence is unknown, no one would notice me leaving. Well I was clearly wrong. Right before I entered the house to leave, Sungjae came up to me and blocked me from entering. He was all wet from getting out of the pool. I look up at him and he just smiles at me. “Where do you think you’re going?” he asks

“Um, home” I say being tensed from someone like him talking to me which is unnatural

“Why?” he asks

“Because I’m bored” I say truthfully

“You’re bored?” he says and I nod. He puts his hand on his chin and thinks about something and then suddenly gets an idea and grins deviously at me. “So you’re bored huh?” he says getting closer and closer to me. I back away as he gets closer to me, trembling in fear.

“W-what are you doing?” I ask still backing up. I stop for a second and realize everyone watching me which is one of my biggest fears and I can’t move from fear. Because I stopped, Sungjae got to me and suddenly picked me up bridal style and stood right by the side of the pool.

“You won’t be bored anymore after this!” he says and I grab onto his neck shaking in horror. People are cheering and whooping and some are even saying “Throw her into the pool!” Sungjae took me and swung me back and forth counting down from ten while everyone else was chanting, Suzy was inside the house during that time so my best friend wasn’t even there in my time of distress.

“FIVE!” everyone shouted and I cling onto Sungjae harder

“FOUR!” “please don’t Sungjae” I whisper

“THREE!” “Sungjae PLEASE don’t” I say louder, almost at the edge of tears

“TWO!” “Sungjae I’m begging you, please!” I then shout

“ONE!”  I tear finally comes out of my eye and next thing I know, I’m in midair and suddenly falling into the pool. I came crashing down in the pool and people are cheering and hollering. I stand up and I’m soaked. “See? You’re not bored now huh?!” he says not realizing that I’m crying right in front of him, but no one notices since I’m wet anyway. My worst fear happened, everyone is watching me, laughing, and not focusing on anything else other than me. I wanted to die right then and there. I don’t even know what I did to deserve this. But then, I heard a splash not so far from me and next thing I know, a pair of hands grabs me and picks me up, putting me against their chest and holding me like I was something of worth actually. I closed my eyes so that I didn’t have to face anyone and see who was carrying me. After we got out of the pool, I realized that whoever was holding me was talking to me, saying stuff like “Shh it’s okay, don’t cry” and “You’re fine now”.

They put me down against a wall at the side of the house, where no one was and I put my head down between my knees so that I didn’t have to look at whoever got me out of there, I was too scared. “y/n” HE says. It was a guy. Oh god. “y/n” they say again. Who could it be? I didn’t even know a guy even knew I existed. “y/n, look at me” I finally get the courage and I look up to see the last person on this messed up world looking at me dead in the eyes. Minhyuk. Lee Minhyuk, the , the Mr. Popular, the hottest guy ever, was the one who got me out of there. Why? “You okay?” he asks. I couldn’t do anything, I was too shocked to do anything really, and I’m surprised that I still managed to breathe. He chuckles a bit and moves a strand of hair out of my face.

“Sorry about that back there” he says “Sungjae is a piece of work.” And smiles a bit making my heart flutter.

“I-it’s okay, he was just trying to make me have fun I guess” I say softly

“Ah you spoke!” he said in triumph. I chuckled a little over his remark. “You even laughed too! I saw it so you can’t deny.” Why is he being like this? I’ve NEVER, out of all of those years of watching him, seen him act like this. “Sungjae’s like a little kid, besides you were put in a position that no one should be in and that’s not fair.”

I smile a little over his kindness. This is a dream, this is not real. There is no way in life that this could happen. I shiver a bit since I’m soaked and Minhyuk notices. “Oh! You’re shivering here” he says and wraps a towel around my shaking body “Better?” he asks and I nod. “Good” he says.

“I don’t get it” I mumble to myself

“Don’t get what?” he asks. , he heard me.

“Oh well um” I start not knowing how I should word it, “I don’t get how you are acting so kind to me” I look away embarrassed “I’m not even popular or pretty, and I’m pretty sure my existence to you wasn’t even known, so I don’t get why now, out of all of the people, you are the one who helped me.” Silence fell over the both of us. I look at Minhyuk seeing him look at me in the eyes and his mouth finally opens to say something. “You know what y/n? Its story time” he says and sits next to me against the wall.

“Once Upon a Time, there was a young boy in kindergarten who was always restless during nap time, and every time nap time came, he couldn’t sleep. All of the other kids would sleep, but not this little boy. He was bored and restless and needed someone to talk to. It just so happens that there was also a little girl who had the same problem who was nearby him, and every day, she would move her mat closer and closer to the little boy until they were right next to each other. They would chat, giggle, and one time they even had a piece of string that they would run over each other noses to tickle each other. It was stupid, but it was good enough for them. One day, the teacher caught them together and moved the girl to the complete other side of the room where she stayed there from then on. And that’s when their story ended. Eventually they both got older and went separate ways. The girl became extremely smart but was shy, and the boy became popular. They never talked from then on, and never acknowledged each other. After going the football team, the not-so-little-boy-anymore became popular and even changed A LOT in personality. He got in trouble a lot and was an to everyone, except that one girl. For the longest time he could never figure out why he acted so weird around her, but then he realized that he, in fact, liked her. He wanted to confess, but was too afraid what his friends would think. He then got to the conclusion that the girl would never like someone like him after what he turned out to be like. She was extremely smart and there was no way he could keep up with her, she was amazing to him. But now, it’s the last day of school and the boy might never have another chance to see her and the little boy from a long time ago came back to the little girl to finally confess his feelings. Y/n, I like you.” He says. I sit there for a bit, trying to process what really just happened. Minhyuk confessed to me? He likes me? No, this can’t be true, this is just another prank.

“This is not a prank” he says almost reading my mind, “I’m serious right now, I really like you.”

“Minhyuk” I say, not knowing what exactly I should say

“I know that I’m an and that I’ve been ignoring you all these years” he says

“Minhyuk” I say again

“And I know that you probably don’t like me at all”

“Minhyuk”

“But I’ve liked you since kindergarten for god’s sake!”

“Minhyuk!” I said loudly and he stops and looks at me “I-I, like you too”

“Really?” He asks almost not believing me.

“Yes” I say blushing “since kindergarten.” I turn my head to the side and I see his beautiful smile brightly shining at me. He takes his arms and wraps them around me, bringing me to his chest. I can hear his heartbeat beating fast. I chuckle a little, “How is your heart beating so fast Mr. Popular and Mr. Captain of the Football team that every girl adores?”

“How is yours not beating fast Miss Valedictorian and Miss Shy and Conservative?” he asks

“Oh trust me, it is” I say. He holds me tighter as we just sit there, together, in each other’s presence finally after years and years of longing for each other. He suddenly pecks your forehead and I blush madly. “Oh come on! I didn’t even kiss you on the lips and you’re blushing!” he jokes which makes me blush even more.

“Hey y/n” he says seriously

“What?” I ask looking up at him. He leans down slowly towards my face and places his soft, warm lips, against mine. I close my eyes and savor the moment we have together. He takes my hands and wraps them around his neck and holds my waist while pulling me in closer. He stay like that for what seemed like eternity until we broke away and I realized that I just experienced my first kiss. I touch my hot lips and blush and Minhyuk chuckles, “Was I your first kiss?” and I nod shyly while grinning. “Don’t worry” he says and wraps my towel around the both of us, “it was my first kiss too.”

I look at him surprised, “Really?” I ask

“Yep” he smiles and I lean my head on his shoulder again, “you’re also my first girlfriend too.”

“This is a dream” I say

“Well, let’s never wake up then” he says, “I love you”

“I love you too, Minhyuk”