3

Underneath Your Touch

The day went slowly, mostly spent in silence. I couldn't figure out what had made Youngjae switch, I didn't understand it. I kept my distance from him. When we parted ways, I didn't even have the energy to say goodbye. I was growing tired of his mystery, I was growing tired of his secrets. He didn't try to explain anything to me, he just went on as if it were all normal. We browsed stores, brought and ate. But none of it felt happy. He stared at the bus as it left the stop. He would get home sooner than I would, only giving me more time to get angrier and angrier. 

I stormed off the bus, anger was itching my fingers as I pulled my phone out. I wanted to text him, call him and shout at him. But I did not of that. I slid my phone back into my pocket and walked home. The streets were dotted with street lamps, I gentled traced my neck, traced the space that the collar hand taken. 

"It was so beautiful" I whispered to myself as I entered my home. As I did a small patter of footsteps were heard running towards the top of my stairs. My tiny brother, with a large smile on his face stood at the top. 

"You're home!" he called as he ran down the stairs. He hugged my legs and we walked into the kitchen together. My brother was only 6 but our relationship was extremely close. Even though he was young, he was understanding. I don't know if he ever knew what I was talking about but he is a good listener and always tries to make everyone feel happy. My mom stood in the kitchen.

"How was your day out?" she smiled at me and then continued chopping tomatoes. She looked at me again.

"It was alri-" she dropped the knife and rushed towards me. She softly grabbed my shoulder, which was being revealed by my bag dragging down my dress. She lightly brushed where Youngjae had gripped.

"What's this! What happened!" my brother stared at us as my mom stared at my arms.

"Oh! Today my bag was just way too heavy. I guess I've put too much in it!" I stared her in the eyes and lied before laughing quietly. 

"My heart is beating so fast" my mothers shoulders relaxed as she laughed a little and returned to chopping tomatoes. 

I left her and my brother and walked upstairs to my room. Soft sheets caressed me as I fell onto my bed. I stared at my flower sphere shaped lamp shade before sitting up and kicking off my socks. My phone began vibrating in my pocket. I took it out and stared at the screen, it was Youngjae. The phone stopped ringing and revealed that I had three missed calls from Youngjae. My phone began vibrating again, this time I answered. 

"Hi"

"Did you get home okay?"

"I did" 
there was a moment of silence. I couldn't say anything. In my mind, I begged that he would.

"I'm sorry... about today" 

"It doesn't matter..."

"Did you like that choker?" 
my fingers traced where he had pulled it from.

"I did" 

"Do you want to go and fix it tomorrow?" 

"I do. I want to wear it" 
Youngjae sighed on the other end of the phone.

"Tomorrow at 2, okay? We'll meet at the same place, okay?"

"Alright"

"Goodnight"

"Sleep tight" 
I hung up and placed my phone at my side. Suddenly all the anger in me had cleared and I felt warm. My eyelids were heavy and my face relaxed as I fell asleep with a smile. 

* * * * * * * * 

I was late again. I don't think it was anything new to Youngjae but I could still imagine him getting annoyed each time. This time I wore black jeans with a grey, short sleeved and high necked top. I wore some chunky platforms I had gotten two years ago but had never worn. I wobbled at first but soon got the hang of it. Youngjae would surely be surprised. 

When he came into view, he had a small black bag in his hand. He wasn't laying back as usual, instead he was standing and checking his watch. He wore a loose, thin grey sweater and blue jeans. The sweater slightly revealed his collar bones and tiny glimpses of ink on his shoulders. He looked up at me. His expression changed slightly and then reverted back to it original hardness. 

"You're here. You look different today."

"I wanted to try something new" 
he nodded before turning and beginning to walk. We began following a similar route to the one we did the day before. A route that would take us back to that beautiful shop. I jogged a little to catch up to Younjae, I studied his shoulders briefly before I spoke.

"When did you start getting them done?"

"What done?"

"The tattoos" 

"I got my first tattoo at 14, same with the piercings"
his voice was monotone, but I was excited.

"Oh? Who did your first?" Youngjae hesitated and looks at me before looking away.

"Lia did, I did her first" I wasn't excited anymore but I wanted to know more. I hesitated. 

"What did you get done?" Youngjae was quiet until the Lia's store came into view.

"Her initials. We both got each others initials" my heart sped up as I heard his words. As he walked into the store, for a moment I didn't want to move. I stood against the glass window and looked down at my shoes. Lonely leaves blew around the my heel as I waited. A voice called out to me.

"I've missed you! Aren't you coming in?" it was a familiar voice. I looked up to see Lia at the door. She smiled at me and waved. As she did, I caught a glimpse of it. Youngjae's initials tattooed on her wrist. The letters were English and upside down but I saw them and my heart sank. I walked towards her and she hugged me. We walked into the the store with her arm around me.

"I came to get my choker fixed"

"I saw it! What happened!" 
I hesitated.

"My baby brother pulled on it too hard"

"You gotta keep these things away from kids! They love pretty things! But... you look amazing today! What's the occasion?" 
I shook my head and smiled. Youngjae hadn't complimented me but it felt good to hear it from Lia. 

"Nothing special, I just wanted to try something new" she ruffled my hair and smiled.

"It looks good on you! Keep it up if you like it" Youngjae stood behind her and tapped her shoulder, she lightly jumped before turning around and laughing quietly.

"The choker"

"Oh yeah! It won't take long to fix! Wait here!" 
we stood together, opposite a mirror which had been blocked by Lia. 

"Ah, we look good together" a slight smile came across Youngjae's face. "Do you want to take a picture?" I nodded and pulled my phone out of my pocket. My body jolted as Youngjae linked my arm. I froze for a moment as he looked down at me. "You'd want us to be close for the photo, wouldn't you?" my fingers trembled as I found the camera on my phone. Youngjae raised his hand and showed the peace sign. As he did, the sleeve of his sweater slightly rolled down and I saw it. 

There was no mistaking it. It was Lia's initials. My finger took the photo anyway and I tried my best to smile. I took a moment to breathe as his hand dropped, I placed my head on his shoulder before taking a second photo. He let go of my arm and looked at my phone. We stared at our photos.

Our first photos were occupied by two disconnected entities, that couldn't figure each other out.