Magic or Called it Love

Love is the Closest Thing We Have to Magic

 

Junmyeon was running on next to no sleep. Suho, his baby boy, cried for almost the whole night. The worst thing is that he has a morning class today with Professor Kris Wu, his literature lecturer.

Even worst, his parents have gone to Japan for his father’s business trip so they couldn’t take care of Suho. He’d tried child care before, but the last time Suho went to the child care, he cried so much at the unfamiliar surroundings and nearly got a fever.

No way! Junmyeon frowned at his reflection in the mirror. There’s only one way… I’ll bring him with me to the campus.

Junmyeon sighed as he ran his hands through his hair in exasperation.

***

Junmyeon is turning 22 this year and everyone scoffed at him since he had baby without a wife. Any kind of rumours sparks. Some say he had impregnated some girl in highschool, while some say he married before and his wife died. Even crazier, some say Junmyeon is actually female and he delivered Suho by himself. Cruel isn’t it?

Junmyeon just keeps silent. He’s accepted everyone’s thoughts about him. Since only he and his family know the truth. And Do Kyungsoo. Junmyeon’s bestfriend since kindergarten.

***

It was almost 8 AM and the class’ll begin soon. Junmyeon carried the sleeping Suho in his arms when he met Kyungsoo outside the lecture hall.

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened in surprise and whispered. “How can you bring him? Professor Wu won’t like it.”

That’s true. Professor Kris Wu is a grumpy person besides his godly feature-face. He doesn’t like noise. He’s quite cruel to his students. The fact made Junmyeon’s stomach drop.

“I can’t leave him in child care. Remember the last time I put him there? He almost got a fever because crying a whole day. And my parents are in Japan for business trip.” Junmyeon explained weakly.

“But… I don’t know if this is a good idea. Suho will wake up from Professor Wu’s voice.” Kyungsoo warned him.

Junmyeon let out a long sigh. “I just… want him to sleep through the entire class.” And he crossed his fingers.

Junmyeon and Kyungsoo entered the class and found their usual seats.

“Wowww! Brave enough to bring your son now, Junmyeonie?” Jongdae, the cocky student of the class, greeted him.

“Don’t mind him.” Kyungsoo whispered to Junmyeon.

Junmyeon just nodded and rubbed Suho’s head carefully.

“Oww… so this is your child? Aigoo… so cute. Poor him, his mother died.” Sulli, Jongdae’s girlfriend, butted in.

"Is she really died? I mean... is she really existed?" Luna, Sulli's friend, chirped and rolled his eyes.

"I thought you're the one who delivered the baby, Junmyeonie, since you have face feature like chicks!" Baekhyun, Jongdae's friend, chimed in and snorted as he high fived with Jongdae.

"A ty chicks!" Luna retorted and stared with disgust towards Junmyeon. This last remarks following by a loud annoying snicker inside the whole class.

Everyone was now mocking Junmyeon for how shameless he was, to bringing his child. They accused him of adultery and Suho was an illegitimate child.

“LEAVE HIM ALONE! DON’T DISTURB HIM!” Kyungsoo finally exploded. Luckily, Suho only let out a small yawn and snuggled deeper into Junmyeon’s chest.

Kyungsoo was still seething and glared at the rest of the class. He couldn’t accept the class’s behavior towards Junmyeon and Suho. They didn’t know the truth.

“Wow Kyungsoo! Chill Dude! Are you in love with Junmyeon? Oh…. Both of you will make such a cute gay couple.“ Jongdae added and loud laughs followed his remark.

Kyungsoo had a string of profanities on the tip of his tongue, but Junmyeon squeezed his arm. He shook his head and cocked his head towards the class door. Professor Kris Wu was already standing there.

“What’s the noise about?” He retorted as he walked towards his desk.

“Junmyeon brought his illegitimate son, Sir.” Jongdae sing-songed.

Kris squinted his eyes at Jongdae. “I’m sorry, what did you say, Kim Jongdae? ‘Illegitimate son’? Do you have any evidence of your words?”

Jongdae flinched.

“From your reaction, I conclude that you know nothing on his situation. Kim Junmyeon, why did you bring your son today?” Kris asked the young dad.

Kris also knows about the rumours that go around Kim Junmyeon, one of his student, but he never gives a about them since he doesn’t know the truth. And simply because Kris doesn't really pay attention to his surroundings.

“I’m sorry Sir, but there was no one to look after him today. There are some problems. I can’t promise you he won’t cry when he wakes up. So… if he does, I’ll leave.” Junmyeon told Kris as he bit his lips.

Kris just nodded as he started his lesson. The class went smoothly for almost half of it, when suddenly Suho woke up and started crying.

“UWAAAA! UWAAAA!” Suho cried and Junmyeon tried his best to put him back to silence. Kyungsoo helped him with a milk bottle that he got from Junmyeon’s bag. But Suho wasn’t hungry. He’s just quite sensitive to new surroundings.

“They are annoying, Sir!!!” Sulli complained while the rest of the class erupted in chaos. Everybody followed Sulli and started complaining in loud voices.

“I’ll going out.” Suho said weakly before standing up and walking towards the door. He was suddenly blocked by Kris’s tall body and Junmyeon looked up slowly.

“Let me…,” He reached out towards Suho to hold him.

“Sir….,” Junmyeon’s eyes goggled as he kept swinging his baby in his arms. Suho was still crying, but his volume had lowered.

“Let me hold him, Kim Junmyeon.” Kris whispered and Junmyeon, finally nodding after some hesitation, lifted Suho from the baby holder around his chest and passed him to Kris’s open arms.

Junmyeon doesn’t believe in magic. But he just saw something miraculous happen in front of him. The second time Kris held Suho in his embrace, Suho stopped his wailing.

Not only Suho stopped. Everyone was stunned. Who would’ve thought that the grumpy professor has a soft side?

Suho let out cute chuckled when he saw Kris’s face as Kris looked back at the class.

“I think we can continue our lesson since the baby’s calmed down now.” Kris smiled at Suho and the baby giggled cutely.

“And Kim Junmyeon you can go back to your seat.” Kris instructed.

Junmyeon felt a tingling sensation inside his stomach when he saw how happy and calm Suho was being in Kris’s embrace. He felt thankful.

***

Junmyeon bowed and thanked Kris numerous times after class had ended. Suho was now his milk bottle happily in Junmyeon’s embrace.

Kris asked how Junmyeon was going to get home.

“I took a bus, Sir. My house isn’t really far from the campus.” Junmyeon answered.

“Let me drive you home Kim Junmyeon.” Kris offered.

Junmyeon’s eyes widened at the offer. “It’s fine, Sir. You don’t need…”

“I insist.” Kris grabbed Junmyeon’s hand as they walked to the parking lot.

***

Kris walked around inside Junmyeon’s house while Junmyeon took Suho for his nap. He found a frame of pictures with Suho and a pretty girl inside it. The girl had long wavy hair, a smile that similar to Junmyeon, face features that resembled him as well, except for her wider eyes and her long eyelashes.

Is she Junmyeon’s wife? Suho’s Mom?  Kris thought when Junmyeon came out from his bedroom.

“I’m sorry I left you, Sir. Suho is taking a nap now. Wait a moment. I’ll make coffee for you.” Junmyeon went back to the kitchen.

At first, Kris rejected and said don’t bother, but Junmyeon insisted so they soon found themselves sitting in the living room with cups of coffee.

“Thank you once again, Sir. I don’t know what would’ve happened if you weren’t there. Thank God you can calm him down.” Junmyeo told his professor sincerely.

Kris took a sip of his coffee. He put the cup down before he answered. “No need to thank me, Kim Junmyeon. I have many little cousins. Usually I play with them on weekends. So, maybe that’s where the skill naturally come from.”

Junmyeon beamed. And suddenly he asked. “You’re not curious? About Suho?”

It’s really surprising, Kris didn’t bring up who Suho was. Usually, that would be the first thing people ask Junmyeon. Who is he? Why does he have a child? Where’s the mother?

Kris leaned his back and spoke gently. “I saw your picture with girl. Is she….?”

Junmyeon nodded. “Yes, she’s Suho’s mother and she’s my… deceased sister.” Junmyeon answered with glazed eyes.

Kris voice cracked a bit in confusion and surprise. “W-what do you mean?”

“My sister… Kim Junhee. She was a bright and kind girl. Everybody loved her.” Junmyeon started his story while his eyes wondered around the living room.

“She had a boyfriend, and one day, he left her when he found out she was pregnant. He… I don’t know how to describe this bastard. He didn’t believe my sister was pregnant. I almost started a fight with him, but my sister told me to control myself.”

“My parents are really sad, but they loved my sister and they supported her decision. That is, to raise her child. So, after nine months, she finally delivered the baby. But…,” Suho stopped for a while. Tears almost fell down of his cheeks.

Kris resisted the urged to rub Junmyeon’s tears away.

“But… she died. She died after she saw the baby. ‘How handsome. He’s like you, Junmyeonie.’ She said proudly. And she whispered to name him Kim Suho so he’ll become the guardian for everyone. She also said to me to take care of him after she died. I cried and I told her, she’s strong enough and she won’t leave baby Suho. But she finally died. My sister had a complication. She died while she was holding Suho.” Junmyeon’s tears were uncontrolled now as he remembered the painful memories.

Kris approached the smaller guy. He offered a tissue. Junmyeon mouthed thanks as he rubbed his eyes.

“So that’s the reason you’re taking care of him?” Kris spoke softly.

Junmyeon nodded. “Yes. Since Junhee Noona also said for me to take care of him. My parents also help to take care Suho, but they’re already old and they have their lives too.”

Junmyeon ended his story and suddenly felt a warm embrace. Kris was hugging Junmyeon. Kris never really pays attention to his surroundings especially about gossips and rumours about Kim Junmyeon. Now he knows the truth and he feels very grateful to hear it directly from Junmyeon.

“You’re the strongest person I’ve ever met.” Kris whispered into Junmyeon’s ear.

Musk and wood. Kris’s scent was really calming to Junmyeon. Maybe this is why Suho calmed down so easily.

Junmyeon’s tears fell down again. Kris released him.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t meant to… I just can feel that you’re so warm, so strong, and so… precious.” Kris emphasized the ‘precious’ words.

“Please don’t cry anymore.” Kris added as he brushed his thumbs over Junmyeon  tender cheeks.

After he saw Junmyeon had calmed down, Kris held Junmyeon’s hand slowly as if it so fragile and precious.

“Do you mind… if I want to know more about you and Suho?”

Junmyeon looked surprised but he nodded after all. “Yes. Of course.” He beamed lightly.

They interwined their hands tightly but were disrupted by a sudden cry from the bedroom.

Junmyeon glanced at Kris and Kris laughed as they stood up hand in hand towards the bedroom to calm Suho down.

Love is the closest thing we have to magic. And Kris offered the magic to sparks into Junmyeon’s life. We called it love…

***

 

MY FEELS *SOBS*