09

Walking on Glass

“You’re here, Sunggyu-ssi.” The CEO’s secretary greeted, putting her makeup powder down.

“Hello. Yes, the CEO asked me to meet him at 1PM.” He checked his phone.

“You may enter. Myungsoo-ssi is inside with CEO Lee already.” She placed the receiver down and informed.  

“Myungsoo?” Sunggyu thought to himself. He didn’t know Myungsoo was coming for the meeting too. Myungsoo didn’t say anything about it in the morning either. Sunggyu tilted his head in confusion and pushed the door open to find Myungsoo laughing together with the CEO.

“I am here.” Sunggyu said with a respectful bow.

“Here, take a seat. I have good news for you, Sunggyu.” The CEO said.

“Myungsoo has nicely offered to play cameo in your solo MV! Your solo debut will definitely be a great hit especially that Myungsoo is gaining popularity with his new drama!” The CEO announced excitedly.

Sunggyu looked to Myungsoo who had his usual bright smile on.

“Surpriseeeee hyung!” He said with his hands in the air like a kid.

No doubt this came as a surprise. However, Sunggyu wondered which part of this was the good news. It was his solo. He has always dreamt about acting for his own MV. He didn’t want Myungsoo to be acting for his MV. Everything changed because of Myungsoo’s suggestion.

“But it’s my solo…” Sunggyu protested weakly.

He could tell the CEO was very pleased with Myungsoo’s idea. He could tell but he just needed to get those words out. When they first debuted, Sunggyu kept quiet when the CEO told Myungsoo to take his centre position. He was bitter but for the team, he decided to give in. This time, he wanted to shine as Kim Sungkyu.

“Of course it’s your solo! Who else would it be?” The CEO laughed.

“Alright. My decision is final. Myungsoo would act in your 60 seconds MV and now I have a stronger point to convince the investors later. They should be coming soon, you guys may leave already.” The CEO said.

“But...” Sunggyu hesitated.

“If you’re not ready, we can always debut INFINITE H first.” The CEO’s words from their previous meeting before came back.

Sunggyu didn’t want to wait any longer. He had prepared for so long just for this day.

“We will take our leave first then.” Sunggyu said, concealing his disappointment and anger.

The moment the lift doors closed, Sunggyu turned to Myungsoo.

“You did that on purpose, right?” he gritted his teeth.

“What do you mean, Sunggyu hyung?” Myungsoo blinked innocently at the leader’s words. It irked him.

“You have your own dramas. You are getting more lines for the group comeback. You have most of the fans. What else do you want?” Sunggyu half-shouted, unleashing the anger building up within him.

“Hyung…” Myungsoo began but he didn’t continue. In his eyes, Sunggyu saw hurt.  

Despite that, Sunggyu continued, “It’s my solo, why are you even getting involved…”

“I-I didn’t think you’d take it this way. I merely wanted to help. Why didn’t you say anything just now then?” Myungsoo raised his voice slightly too, feeling wronged.

“Because I can’t.” Sunggyu said and walked out the moment the lift reached ground floor.

Every step Sunggyu took, he could feel the guilt weighing down on him. He knew Myungsoo didn’t want to steal his limelight. He hated why he took it that way. He hated how he was always insecure about him since debut. He hated how he always silently took his dongsaeng as a competitor. He knew Myungsoo was a nice kid. He knew it so well and that’s precisely why Sunggyu hates himself too.

“You are so ed up, Kim Sunggyu.” He cursed under his breath.

Soojung watched Sunggyu storm past without saying hi and headed straight out of the company’s building. He didn’t wear his usual cap or mask. She watched the fans run up to him and take pictures of him. He looked uncomfortable. He hung his head down and walked past them before flagging down a cab. Soojung wondered what was wrong with him.

-

“Ah crap.” Soojung hit her head lightly.

“I forgot my shoes in the studio. You girls can head back first.” Soojung said.

“Will you be fine alone?” Myungeun asked and she nodded.

“Don’t worry!” Soojung laughed and half-jogged in the opposite direction.

Returning to the studio, Soojung found her shoe bag. Opening it, she checked if the shoes Sunggyu gifted her were still inside. Heaving a sigh of relief, she zipped it. Hugging it closely to her, she made her way to the lift located at the other end of the corridor. Soojung hit the highest floor button that leads to the rooftop. She wanted to catch a breather and admire the beautiful city lights alone. It had been long since she last did that because of quarterly talents test preparations. Then, she spotted someone sitting on the floor.

“Sunggyu sunbaenim?” she called out.

He turned around in surprise to find Soojung standing before him with her hair tied up in a messy ponytail.

“Hey.” Sunggyu greeted casually following his hiccup.

Soojung scanned the empty soju bottles scattered around him. Squatting before him, she propped them up and looked at him. Before she could ask what happened, he spoke first.

“You know, I wanted to sit up there to watch the cars pass by beneath me just like you. But I couldn’t. I was afraid the reporters would see it. Isn’t that funny?” Sunggyu started laughing.

Soojung thought it wasn’t funny. His laughter sounded bitter and forced. He was so unlike the confident and sarcastic Sunggyu she knew.  

“Are you okay?” she finally asked.

Sunggyu stopped laughing as he dropped the bottle in his hand, “What if I say I am not?”

Soojung looked at him worriedly. His words caught her off guard.

“Haha you got caught.” He quickly said but Soojung knew it was not a lie.

“Soojung, let me ask you something.” Sunggyu said.

“What do you define as success?” he asked, leaning forward slightly and jerking backwards the next moment.

“For me, it’s having thousands of people cheering for me while I sing on stage.” She said dreamily.

“I used to think that way too.” Sunggyu laughed, yet again.

“Used to?” Soojung repeated after him.

“Until I realize they were not shouting for me.” Sunggyu looked up at the sky decorated sparsely with stars.

Soojung didn’t know what to say so she looked up at the sky too.

“Those stars shining brightly are born beautiful.” He said vaguely.

“If you need a listening ear, I can hear you out.” She offered. Sunggyu shook his head.

“Will you just stay like this with me for a while?” Sunggyu asked, not looking at her.

Soojung nodded and she thought she heard a faint ‘Thank you’.

-

Kicking his shoes off, Sunggyu held his aching head and stumbled across the living room to find Myungsoo snoring away on the couch. Sunggyu picked up the blanket on the ground and covered it on him.

“I am sorry.” He said softly before returning to his room.

“You’re back.” Woohyun said as he stirred in his sleep.

Sunggyu changed out of his clothes and collapsed in his bed. The alcohol took over him and in his dream, he was counting stars with a certain someone. Sunggyu thought it was a beautiful dream.

-

“The shoot will be tomorrow.” The manager informed.

Sunggyu and Myungsoo exchanged glances but said nothing.

“Is anything wrong? The atmosphere between you two is so weird.” The manager scratched his head,

“Regarding yesterday…” Sunggyu started.

“You can just forget about it.” He said.

All Sunggyu wanted was to say ‘sorry’. Myungsoo nodded slightly at the leader’s words.

“I’ll do my best.” He said before standing up from the chair.

Sunggyu sighed as he watched the younger return to his room and close the door behind him.

-

“I heard they are shooting for Sunggyu’s MV! Want to come along and see?” One of the trainees suggested.

It was their 2 hours break time for the day. Usually, Soojung wouldn’t join the rest. However, today, there was a certain someone she wanted to check on. She tagged along and found herself standing behind the windows of the filming venue. It didn’t take long for her to spot Sunggyu. He was smiling brightly and chatting with the staff as if there was nothing wrong. Soojung wondered how he managed to keep everything to himself so well. Unlike him, she was so transparent. Soojung intuitively turned around when she saw Sunggyu’s gaze directed in their direction. The girls beside her squealed and started hitting each other.

“Myungsoo is here!” One of them said.

“L is the reason why I came to Woollim.” Another one collapsed dreamily on her friend’s shoulder.

Soojung turned back when she realized they were not screaming because Sunggyu looked at them.

“I heard Myungsoo would be the lead for the MV instead of Sunggyu. I can’t wait!” She exclaimed.

“Myungsoo is so perfect! Look at that smileeeeee~” She slapped her own cheeks exaggeratedly.

“Until I realize they were not shouting for me.” Soojung finally understood.

 

 

 

Author's Note: 
Double update because I promised to update more since it's summer break but I didn't.
Sorry for the slow updates and thank you to those who are reading 'Walking on Glass'.<3
I sincerely hope you're enjoying this story^^
May you be counting stars in your dreams tonight. Goodnights ✮