07

Walking on Glass

Sunggyu’s angry gaze was something new but Soojung was too focused on his firm grip which was hurting her.

“I am really fine, Sunggyu sunbaenim. And I am sorry but I really have to go.” She pry his hand lightly off her arm.

Sunggyu cautiously released his grip upon realizing what he had just done, staring at the red mark on her arm. He had overreacted, he finally realized. He consciously took a step back and inhaled deeply. If she was not ready to confide in him, he thought maybe he shouldn’t probe further.

“Text me if you need someone to talk to.” He said simply before walking off.

“So… Was she trying to do something foolish?! What do you think?” Sunggyu asked his reflection the moment the lift doors closed.

Before him, the scene of Soojung sitting carelessly on the parapet as she looked down forlornly returned. Shaking his head, he attempted to clear her out of his mind. She was just a friend? Or maybe, someone less than a friend, since she refuses to trust Sunggyu with her secrets.

"Why should I care?" Sunggyu scoffed. 

“-Maybe I’m just that untrustable.” Sunggyu laughed sarcastically. 

Sunggyu recalls how he would probe Woohyun to tell him what troubles him when he looked depressed and locks himself in the room. After incessant knockings and callings, Woohyun would eventually open the door to him. But it’s only the door he opens.

“Hyung, you won’t understand. Just leave me alone; I will be fine.” He always says.

Sunggyu felt his heart being squeezed for being pushed away like this, yet again.

-

“And…Should I say this too?” The trainer hesitated for a moment.

“It’s okay, you can just say it.” Sunggyu prompted him to continue. 

“The kids are saying she’s making use of you as a ‘plan B’.” He filled him in.

Sunggyu stood up instantly at his words.

“Hyung! You are not really interested in her, right?” The trainer placed a hand over his mouth.  

“What rubbish were they even saying?!” Sunggyu slammed his hands on the makeup table and stood up.

“You owe me a meal, alright.” The trainer patted his shoulder before leaving the room.

Sunggyu hit the table harder once more, upset that he was part of the reason why she was suffering and yet, she didn’t even say a word to him. It wasn’t uncommon that trainees were picking on each other. It happened even in his times. But it made him annoyed that they were picking on his friend. Especially when Soojung was naïve and innocent, too innocent to be in the industry in his opinion. He wanted to go in and scold some sense out of all of them as a senior. However, he knew it doesn’t work that way. He’d just make things worse for her. He had seen such things too many times to know only Soojung can work her way out of the situation. Any help from external parties, especially him, would only make things worse for her.

He sighed, feeling useless once again.

-

Soojung stared at her locker for a minute before sighing and opening it. To her surprise, there were no trash or crumpled red papers falling out. It has been a week since it stopped. Soojung watched two trainees whom she recognized as JiAh’s close friends walk past her. However, they merely made eye contact and looked away. She had expected nasty comments lunged at her. However, they simply walked off. Soojung was silently thankful that the peace after the storm had returned. She was happy to fade back into the background and be a peaceful wallflower as she has always been.

“Yah.” Soojung looked around upon hearing a familiar voice.

She spotted Sunggyu at the corner of the corridor. He smiled upon meeting eyes with her. Pointing up and mouthing ‘Rooftop’, he left. Soojung nervously scanned the corridor to see if anybody saw them. Heaving a sigh of relief, she walked towards the lift. Sunggyu was no longer at the lift lobby, she noted. He had left first. However, she was thankful because the last thing she wanted was for weird rumours to spread again. It’d hurt Sunggyu, she thought. He must not have any scandals, especially when she has heard that he was preparing to go solo. Talks about INFINITE’s leader going solo was spreading through the entire company like wildfire.

“This is for you.” Sunggyu held out a paper bag and looked away, coughing awkwardly.

“What is this?” Soojung took it carefully from his hands.

“Open it and you’ll know.” He shrugged.

She takes a cardboard box out from the bag and she realized it’s a pair of Nike shoes.

“I can’t take this, it’s too expensive. And I’ve no reason to-”

Before she could finish her sentence, Sunggyu spoke.

“Good shoes brings you to good places.” He said.

“Someone once told me that when I wanted to give up on my dreams. He told me that there will be times when you feel like you’re too tired to walk on but it’s really the end only when you stop walking. Now, I'm giving those words and these shoes to you.” 

“With these shoes, walk further than today and show the world what Baby Soul is made of.” He placed both his hands on her shoulders and met her eye level.

In that moment, Soojung didn’t know what to say anymore. Her mind buzzed and she knew he was telling her to keep her dreams. He was telling her to keep walking even if it feels like she was walking on glass. He was telling her that it won’t be easy but she will be able to make it. Soojung didn’t why she felt something watery on her cheeks. It was when Sunggyu lightly wiped it off her face with his thumb that she realizes she was crying. Yet again.

Deep inside, she hated how she was always letting her strong side fall before him. She was never such a crybaby especially before others. She wondered why he would always appear like an angel sent from above whenever she needed someone. His presence always made her feel comforted and Soojung thought she could get used to it.

“Just keep it, alright? I won’t be able to wear it if you return to me anyways.” He jokingly pretended to measure the sole of his shoe to her, making her laugh.

“Thank you, Sunggyu Sunbaenim.” Soojung bowed in gratitude, hugging the gift tightly to her chest. 

“You’re welcome. Now run along and go back for your classes.” He pushed her lightly from the back.

Soojung looked back and saw Sunggyu smiling and waving for her to go. She nodded and left.

-

It was yet another 6 hours of non-stop dance practice. Soojung felt like her muscles were so strained that her legs weren’t hers anymore. The scent of sweat and deodorant filled the dance studio. Soojung looked down at her shoes and smiled to herself. Looking up with new-found strength, she danced harder at their new practice choreography. The freestyle dance quarter talents test was approaching. This time, they were instructed that they would be split into groups of seven for the test.

“Thank you, teacher Park.” The trainees bowed in sync.

The lesson was finally over. Mr. Park took a list out from his bag and read the names of the group for the test.

“Group 3—Ji Ae, JiAh, Jihye, Jiyeon, Myungeun, Mijoo and Soojung.”

The girls shuffled to the side and awkwardly stood around. Soojung met eyes with JiAh who merely looked away and started talking to Mijoo who was standing beside her.

“Her attitude towards me changed.” She noted.

“Let’s meet for practice tomorrow night.” Myungeun suggested and everyone noted the timing to sneak out for practice.

Everyone else were doing the same so they were not worried to slip out of dorm too.

-

Soojung reached early to find JiAh there already. She was busy texting on her phone and she wondered why she still had her phone with her. All trainees were supposed to have returned her phone, she thought. Soojung recalled how close she was with the director during her MV filming set and figured she probably had her own connections again. Indeed, the music industry was all about connections.

“Hey.” She quietly greeted and shuffled to stand beside her.

She was too engrossed with her phone to respond. Soojung unconsciously peered over her bright phone screen and read the message recipient’s name.

To: 호야 오빠 <3

Soojung quickly looked away when JiAe and Myungeun arrived too.

“It can’t be…” Soojung pondered to herself whether it was Hoya she was texting.

 

 

Author's Note: 

Hello everyone ^^! Summer break is finally here. <3
I'll try to update more since it's holidays ~
Hope you've enjoyed this chapter!
Comments are always appreciated *throws hugs*