first encounter

One Week

Melody stood before the bathroom mirror as she applied the last bit of plum purple lipstick. She pressed her thick lips down together and puckered at her reflection. She looked herself over one last time, applying more of her mother's perfume to her clothes. She was excited, yet apprehensive. Something about her favorite band being in the same country had her heart at unrest, beating rapidly at the thought of the members she sung along to on her way to work we're doing the same. Her cheeks retained heat as she imagined them taking in the sights of her city, updating Instagram with selfies and enjoying the food.

"Mel!" her mother shouted from the lower floor. "You're gonna be late!"

"I'm almost done!" she shouted back. With one more look, she left the bathroom, jogged past her dresser and grabbed her purse. As she headed downstairs, her adrenaline flowed rapidly through her veins. This was her first meet and greet that she only wrote about on her Tumblr as stories that could never happen.

"You have your purse?" her mom quizzed as her twenty year old daughter stood at the bottom of the stairs

"Yes ma'am."

"Keys?" Melody reached into the pocket of her jeans and held them up to her mother.

"Always with me."

"Tickets and hi-touch pass?"

"They've been in my purse since the day they came in the mail." Melody answered proudly, patting on her tribal print bag. Her mother pulled her into a tight hug and kissed her forehead.

"Be safe."

"I'm always safe." Melody left her mom's embrace and walked out the front door. It wasn't long before her mom watched the car back onto the street and disappear further down.

Melody's ears filled with Overdose blaring through the speakers. Her auburn eyes sparkled brightly in the sunlight as she drove to the Saenger Theater where EXO would be. Her hands gripped the steering wheel with sheer joy and excitement. "I get to see them! And talk to them! And get my CD signed by them. And-" Her thoughts trailed off as she looked at the back of her hands. Despite her excitement, she was afraid. Melody's skin condition was rare and she didn't want her favorite band to be frightened by the patches of white stamped in various places on her body, including her face.

"Maybe I should go home...and put on some concealer or something..." Melody thought out loud as she pulled up to the last red light before reaching her destination. "I don't want them to see me like this...Maybe it's best if I just go home..." When the light turned green, she pulled off into the driveway of a nearby strip mall. She shut the car off and and lowered her head on the steering wheel. Anxious thoughts clouded her happy mood with various scenarios that ended with the EXO members being horrified, confused, highly amused of how different she was. She swallowed a lump in and looked up to see the theater looking back at her. She pushed her negativity to the back of her mind and sat up straight.

" it." she whispered, starting her engine. "Let's go."