Past, Future, and the Chaotic In-Between

SEOUL-MATE [ON HOLD]

CHAPTER FIVE. Past, Future, and the Chaotic In-Between

 

--

 

Jiyeon was squirming on Barbie’s brother’s arms as he carries her bridal style away from the skating rink. Much to her dismay, she can’t go on skating because her hurts as hell and her legs are cramped due to her overuse of them. Now, in spite of the pains she experiences, she could see Jaebum stifling his laugh.

Damn you! she cursed on her head. She tried her best to ignore the evil guy and just fixed her minion hat that fell awhile ago on the rink.

Aside from laughing at her stake, she hated him for letting a stranger carry her. She can’t insist on walking because she really can’t as of the moment, but the bastard a.k.a. Jaebum let someone she doesn’t know carry her.

But she can’t process all the hate right now because she was still thinking of something…

Jaebum called Barbie bae? Does he know her? Who is she? Is she a friend? But no… that can’t be. I mean, he doesn’t have any female friends… unless he lied to me.

“JB.” Jiyeon made a short gasp when the guy carrying her called Jaebum. It’s only now that she heard someone call him JB.

Err, we actually haven’t met anyone we know yet… a part of her mind argued.

“Ne, hyung?” he replied.

“Someone handed me your phone in the middle of the chaotic scene earlier,” he said with a chuckle. “Joohyun-ah,” he called.

So Barbie’s name is Joohyun…

“Ah, here it is,” she said after fishing the phone out of her bag. Jiyeon doesn’t know why but she thought she saw Jaebum’s hand tremble.

“Thanks,” he said in a low voice. Nobody spoke again.

Was it just me… or there’s a tension between these three? Jiyeon just shrugged to herself as they continued walking.

Jaebum feels awkward, and he thinks Jiyeon notices that too. He doesn’t know why but he’s nervous around Irene. After 5 long years, they met again. To be honest, he was actually expecting her to be mad at him, throw things at him, and do something near murder to him. Or maybe Jiro hyung would be the one to do all that. And of all times they would meet, they met when Irene accidentally clashed with clumsy Jiyeon. He doesn’t know if Jiyeon already knows this is Irene, but he definitely won’t tell her. It’s for her to find out.

Jaebum was about to ask where they would go when Jiyeon suddenly spoke.

“Oppa,” she called Jiro, Irene’s brother. Jaebum noted the charming way Jiyeon spoke and he honestly could puke in her face right there and then.

“Hmm?”

“Can we go there?” she pointed the café near them.

Jaebum can’t take Jiyeon’s sudden character change but he can’t take even more that they would get in another café.

“No way,” he argued. Jiyeon shot him a look. “Not again. I think I drank too much coffee already with you that I could pee coffee.”

“We won’t drink coffee… I just want to eat ice cream,” she stubbornly replied. “And okay… drink frappe,” she cheekily continued.

“No.”

“Mean.”

“Clumsy.”

“Jerk.”

“Hep!” Irene stopped them. “Stop now, you guys.” Jaebum literally stopped. Irene put her hands in between Jiyeon and him, and it felt odd having her touch him again. She was holding Jiyeon by the arms, and Irene’s palm was on his chest.

“Let’s just get inside. Hmm, Jaebum?” Jiro told him. He gave him an unwilling nod much to Jiyeon’s joy. His unwilling nod was the result being against her and being distracted by Irene’s touch.

When they got in, Jiyeon’s smug smile hasn’t left her face yet. She plans on pissing Jaebum in return of laughing at her misfortunes.

After getting their orders, Jaebum left her alone on the table with Joohyun, giving her plenty of time to stare at Barbie.

Joohyun was wearing a pink skirt, topped with a light blue-and-green sweater. Her loose sweater made her look even more petite. Jiyeon looked at her face, and she saw her long lashes. She got this pink pouty lips and cute nose she wants to pinch, but her innocent-looking eyes are her favorites on her face.

Oh-kay. Am I having an identity crisis here or what?

Jiyeon shook away her funny thought and just stared at her even more. Thankfully, Joohyun was doing something on her phone and won’t catch her any minute. After a few more minutes of staring at the cute, little creature in front of her, she decided to talk to her.

“Joohyun-ah?” Jiyeon called her.

“Hmm?” she looked up from her phone, a smile on her face. “Oh, and can you just call me Irene? I hate my name, and Jiro oppa only calls me that to annoy me,” she added. Jiyeon was awed with Joohyun looking pretty despite rolling her eyes but her adoration faded when one word from her statement caught her attention.

Irene? She’s Irene? Just how small can this ing world get?!

Now it dawned on Jiyeon. This pretty girl in front of her. Jaebum’s trembling hands awhile ago. And him, calling her bae…

“Uhm, hello?” Jiyeon went back to reality when Irene nudged her. “Wait, that reminds me! I still don’t know your name!” she exclaimed, then gave a hearty laugh.

Oh my god, why does she look years younger than I am!!!

“Sorry,” she apologized. “I’m Jiyeon,” she introduced, offering a timid smile. She suddenly felt awkward around Irene without knowing why. Goodness gracious, Jaebum! Come back now, or else! Argh!

“Wow, your name’s as pretty as you!” Irene beamed. Jiyeon didn’t know how to respond without being rude or sarcastic as she always does so she thanked all heavens for bringing Jaebum and Irene’s brother back to their table.

While carefully putting the trays down on their table, Jaebum sneaked a glance at Jiyeon, and she looks nervous and awkward at the same time.

Is it possible she knows already?

After Jaebum sat down, he leaned closer to Jiyeon and whispered, “Is your stomach feeling bad? Maybe you want to go to the restroom or—“

Jiyeon was quick to hit him. “The are you talking about?!” she hissed.

Jaebum laughed. “I thought you’re having an LBM or something.” Of course, he knows she doesn’t. But he’s afraid of all the explaining Jiyeon would want him to do so he opted to instead.

“ you,” she whispered back before facing the siblings. “Wow, these are lots of food, oppa!” Jiyeon enthusiastically told Jiro. Jaebum just shook his head and didn’t react further.

He smiled at her. “Just tell me if you need more. It’s my way of paying you back for the pain this clumsy girl gave you,” he said then ruffled Irene’s hair, which the latter just shoved off.

While eating, Jiyeon occasionally glances at Jaebum and Irene and noticed that Irene wasn’t as clammy as Jaebum. If anything, Jiyeon can’t see any sign of being awkward with her. To be honest, she was actually expecting hate from Irene. After everything Jaebum told her last night, if she was Irene, she would hit Jaebum until his eyes are the only parts of his body left with no bruise. But Irene doesn’t look a bit mad. I don’t know if she’s just too nice or what.

Jiyeon was pulled out of her funk when Jiro’s phone rang. He excused himself for a little while – which increased the tension on the table a little – and then returned immediately after a good minute.

“I’ll just go and fetch my girlfriend. Just order anything, I’ll be back,” he said to no one in particular on the table.

“Arasseo,” Irene replied. Jiro looked at both Jaebum and Jiyeon and she just nodded for them.

When Jiro left the table, the tension suddenly increased on a notable power. And Jiyeon can’t stand it. But before she can even utter a word, Jaebum spoke.

“I think we need to go,” he said rather fast.

“Oh? Why?” Irene replied. Jiyeon noticed she replied quickly, as if not wanting Jaebum to leave. Hmm…

Jiyeon looked at Jaebum, not a bit wanting to help him with his reply. She could feel him being tortured around Irene. You suffer, jerk.

Jaebum swallowed the lump in his throat. “Jiyeon needs to rest,” Jaebum reasoned.

Guys and their lame reasons. Ugh.

Irene looked sternly at Jiyeon.

“Uhm, of course you can’t see anything on my face because it’s my that hurts, you know,” Jiyeon replied before she could even stop herself. Jaebum kicked her foot under the table. Jiyeon gave her a discreet death glare, telling him he owe her his side of the story. “I mean—“ Jiyeon sighed. “Yup, we need to go.”

“Can’t you wait for Jiro oppa a little?” Irene pleaded. “They’ll be back quick…”

Looking at Jaebum, Jiyeon knew he won’t give any decent reply so she spoke for them instead. “Treating us isn’t necessary, really, but we’re grateful for all these—“ she motioned at the food on the table “—nonetheless. We don’t want to be rude by leaving, but please understand. I’m in pain.” That’s true. She’d been holding the pain in because she doesn’t need a guilt trip from the siblings, but the longer she sits, the more her hurts.

“We could bring you home,” she offered. Jiyeon is not feeling well inside. Irene is just too nice for her to handle.

“Thanks, but no thanks. We stay at a nearby hotel, and Jaebum could just carry me ‘til there,” Jiyeon said, obliging Jaebum.

“JB?” Irene inquired Jaebum. Jiyeon noted secretly the sweetness on Irene’s voice when he called Jaebum ‘JB’.

“Ah?” Jiyeon rolled her eyes at the lack of attention Jaebum is showing now. “Huh?” he turned to Jiyeon.

“I told her bringing us home isn’t needed, right?” she answered with a say-yes-or-I’ll-kill-you tone. Thank god he took the message and nodded.

“Yes, uhm, so, we’ll get going,” Jaebum said while positioning himself in front of Jiyeon so she could ride his back.

Before Jiyeon ride his back, she looked at Irene. “Uhm, Irene?”

“Yes?” she answered sweetly.

“Don’t tell Jinyoung – or anyone, for that matter – that you found us, especially Jaebum.” Irene studied Jaebum’s face. “Please?” Jiyeon added.

After a deep breath, Irene offered a bright smile. Jiyeon wondered if she has an unlimited supply of bright smiles. “Sure thing.”

When Jiyeon was positioned properly on his back, Jaebum carefully stood up. Jiyeon wasn’t really heavy, but it was his first time carrying a girl on his back and he kind of feel awkward having this much contact with Jiyeon. Not that he was complaining, though.

Jiyeon’s arms were around his neck and his hands were on the back of her knees, holding her so she won’t fall. Jaebum was about to leave when Irene held his shirt. He looked down at her.

“When will I see you again?” she asked, her eyes full of hope.

“Just contact me. I believe Jinyoung gave my number to you,” he said casually. He was contemplating whether to give her a smile or not, and he ended up giving an awkward smile.

“Alright” was the last thing he heard from Irene before they walked off.

 


 

Jaebum and Jiyeon were now a few steps from the hotel, and their 30-minute walk from the amusement park felt longer because no one spoke. Under a different circumstance, Jaebum would be thankful of Jiyeon’s silence; but now wasn’t a good time for her to be quiet.

“Speak up. Your silence creeps me out,” Jaebum said as they walk inside the lobby, to the elevator.

“I’m thinking a lot of things—or rather, a lot of questions,” Jiyeon responded. Jaebum cleared his throat as a response. “Are you going to answer them all now or nah?”

“I don’t know,” he responded honestly. He knew Jiyeon well enough to know that the questions she might be asking are the same questions he’s dreading to hear. Jiyeon didn’t respond.

While waiting for the elevator to open up, Jaebum carefully put Jiyeon on her feet, holding her on her waist instead. He felt her jump a little with his touch, but she calmed as quick.

When they got inside, Jiyeon spoke.

“I can’t believe you lied to me,” she said in a low, accusing voice.

“You’re starting already, Ms. Reporter,” Jaebum kidded. From their reflection on the elevator’s walls, he knew his joke was out of place. “Lied about what?” he added in a more serious tone.

“You said you got no female friends. You told me, aside from your mom, there’s no other woman in your life. That sounded ridiculous, but I believed you. And then there’s Irene. Oh my god, Jaebum. How can—“

Jaebum didn’t know why, but Jiyeon’s voice sounded hurt. And it didn’t feel good to make her feel like this—lied to and betrayed. He turned her around, his hands on her waist.

“Look, I didn’t lie to you. I didn’t expect Irene to treat me like that. I thought she hated me, and so I forgot all about us and our friendship. She’s no one to me now but a childhood best friend. And okay, to be honest, there are a lot of other girls around me. There are my friends’ moms and sisters, and my grandmother. But no one is as close to me as Jinyoung and the gang, and my Mom. So you can’t blame me if they treat me as their friend, but I don’t treat them as mine.”

Jiyeon was staring at Jaebum’s eyes, and she can see honesty amidst his rudeness to the people who wanted to befriend him. “You are so heartless,” she commented.

“I just learned how to use my heart less,” he responded with a smirk. She rolled her eyes at him.

 


 

The next day, Jaebum was expecting a day at the hotel, since Jiyeon was resting her body. By 8:30 AM, he thought he would have this rest day since Jiyeon usually knocks at around 7 AM, but when he heard knocks on the door even though he didn’t call for room service, he just knew another tiring day was coming.

“Annyeong!” Jiyeon greeted with a bright smile. Jaebum noted she was too happy for someone who called his room at 1 AM complaining how her and legs hurt like hell.

“Tsk,” he said, letting her enter anyway.

Jaebum looked at Jiyeon’s walking figure and noted she was dressed rather simple today. A fitted white tee, loose red shorts, and a white flip flops he didn’t know she has. Okay, maybe she was planning to stay here all day too. Despite the simplicity, Jaebum can’t deny that her outfit didn’t do much hiding of her petite figure and flawless legs.

“Are you bathed already?” she asked as she took the freedom to switch the channel of the TV on Jaebum’s room. Jaebum silently thanked the heavens that she did not make fun of his staring a while ago.

“Yeah, why?”

“Okay, good. Let’s get out of here now and repair your phone,” she said while slowly standing up, turning off the TV in between.

“I’m wearing sweatpants and a tank top, Jiyeon.”

“Yes, I can see perfectly,” she retorted. “Do you think I’m blind?”

Jaebum took a deep breath. “Can’t we take a rest for today? Don’t you want to just lie down in bed—“

“And think of million questions I want to ask you because I’ve been bothered by you and Irene since we saw her yesterday?” she interrupted. Then with a grimace, she continued, “Nah, I’d rather make myself busy and forget that yesterday happened. Hopefully.

Jiyeon is always curious, and Jaebum hopes he doesn’t know that by now. To be honest, he was slowly fearing the time she would ask all her questions.

“Are you scared?” Jiyeon asked as they started walking out of his hotel room. They were walking rather slowly, because Jiyeon insisted on walking and she can’t walk fast.

“Scared of what?” he asked back, holding Jiyeon’s arms.

“My questions.”

“Ah, no.”

“Oooh,” she cooed. “So you won’t mind me asking them to you one by one now, right?”

“As in, now?”

“Yup!” she answered enthusiastically. When Jaebum didn’t disagree, Jiyeon smiled smugly and started giving him questions while waiting for the elevator. “So, how did you feel when you saw her?”

“Surprised. I wasn’t expecting it.”

“You weren’t expecting meeting her, or you weren’t expecting you’d meet her that soon?”

“The latter. Jinyoung told me they just moved back in Busan so I kind of expect to meet her.”

“Whaaat?!” Jiyeon shrieked. Her voice felt even louder inside the confined space of the elevator.

“That was what they told me when they were on the phone yesterday.”

“Oh, that!” Jiyeon nodded. “Wait, oh my god, so that means she will be transferring to a different school too?”

“Yes.”

“Oh, wow! My chance of being classmates with her is slim, though. There are just many high schools in our province,” she commented. “Anyway, you’ll be seeing her mostly every day, right? How does that feel?”

“Odd? I haven’t seen her for five years—nearly six, and now I’d be seeing her every day.”

“Aren’t you excited?”

In any case, I think I’d be more excited to see your annoying pretty face every day. “Not really,” he told her.

“Really?” she asked, doubtful.

“Are you out of questions?” Jaebum asked, his right brow up. They were now walking out of the hotel.

“You wish,” Jiyeon replied. “Why did you call her ‘bae’ yesterday?”

“And why wouldn’t I?”

“I don’t know. I just thought you were calling me—“ Jiyeon stopped in mid-sentence as she realized what she was telling him. But unfortunately for her, Jaebum heard enough.

“Woooow,” he cooed. “Someone’s being assuming here, huh?” he teased.

“I’m—I’m not!” she defensively replied, her face flushed.

“Okay,” Jaebum said with a shrug, obviously not believing her.

“Tsk! I hate you,” Jiyeon muttered, shoving Jaebum’s arms away—which was a wrong move. She gasped when she almost fell. “Ugh!” she exclaimed, frustrated.

Jaebum chuckled as Jiyeon gripped his arm again. “Don’t make me let go, you’ll get yourself hurt,” he said. He fixed his hold on her so they can walk comfortably without being tangled.

Jiyeon was quiet for now, and Jaebum took his opportunity to look at the clumsy figure on his hands. Calling you ‘bae’ won’t be as bad, all right.

“Her whole name was Bae Joohyun, and everyone in our kindergarten class calls her ‘bae’, though Jinyoung and I call her ‘Irene’ sometimes.” Jiyeon didn’t speak, but he knows she was listening. She always listens. She nodded after.

“Do you think Jiro oppa hates you?”

“Wow, the questions keep on coming.”

“Tsk, just answer.”

Jaebum laughed. “I think he hates me, but resorted on treating me nicely because bae—“ he stopped, “—I mean, Irene, treated me nicely. Maybe he depended on her reaction to me. But more than those, I think they’re just too nice.”

“Ugh, yes. I felt so utterly bad around them!”

“You’re bad even when we’re not around them,” Jaebum said.

Their bad comebacks at each other became more natural with time, so Jiyeon just ignored Jaebum and proceeded to her next question. “Do your friends like her? Irene, I mean.”

“So far, yes. Can you believe they actually hated me for pushing her away? Tsk.”

“You know I hated you as well because that was just one idiotic move,” she said, glaring at him. But if you didn’t… we won’t actually be here… Jiyeon shook her head. Thoughts like those were becoming frequent, and she doesn’t like it.

“I know, but…” Jaebum trailed. “I don’t know, I just think I had the best decision then,” he added with a chortle.

“You don’t really make good decisions, you know,” Jiyeon retorted. Jaebum glowered at her but she just ignored him. “You think Irene already has a boyfriend?” she continued.

“I think she’s still into me,” Jaebum joked.

“I can’t believe you can be too overconfident,” Jiyeon exaggerated. “If anything, you’re the one who’s obviously still into her.”

“No way,” Jaebum responded quickly. “If anything, I’m the one who could be over with her since whatever we had ended years ago. What do you think?” he grinned at her.

“Stop implying things about Myungsoo and I ‘cause I’m done dealing with s related to him.”

“Yeah?”

“Hell yeah!”

“Then maybe you should stop asking me tons of questions or else I’ll make you pay for your next one.”

“Or maybe I won’t.”

“What else do you want to know?”

“Do you still love her?”

“Like you love Myungsoo?”

“Shut the up, Jaebum.”

Jaebum laughed out loud, not minding the attention he gathers from being too noisy. “I don’t love her anymore. Really,” he said, looking straight to Jiyeon’s brown eyes.

Jiyeon doesn’t know why, but as Jaebum continuously looks deep in her eyes, she unconsciously shut , savoring this moment of Jaebum’s genuine honesty. She offered a timid smile at him and said, “Fine. Whatever,” then looked away from him.

 


 

Thankfully, Jiyeon stopped throwing questions at Jaebum until they reached the mall. When they got in, they immediately looked for a phone shop that can repair the damage on Jaebum’s phone. When they found one, they left the stall with foul mood after a short while.

“How can they not fix your phone?! Ugh!”

“Stop now, okay? I’ll just buy a new phone. My phone’s old anyway,” Jaebum consoled, but honestly, he wished they could fix his phone. But no worries, thankfully, his SD card and sim card are safe.

Jiyeon’s still grunting while they walk around looking for a new phone. She’s complaining too much Jaebum doesn’t need to add more complaint to the situation.

When they got inside a shop, Jaebum automatically took the white color of the latest model. Jiyeon frowned at the extravagance, but didn’t complain. Anyway, he was the one paying it.

“Why don’t you buy your own phone?” Jaebum suggested as they look around. They were waiting for several applications and updates to be done on his phone.

“Thanks, but no thanks. My phone is still perfectly working and I don’t have plans on changing it anytime soon.” Jiyeon’s phone was Hara’s Christmas gift to her. She’s not really into phones and stuff, but Hara gave her something so they could communicate while on different places—which seldom happens, anyway, since they never go on separate ways for long.

Okay, not until my on-the-spot trip to Seoul.

Jaebum just shrugged it off, and when he gave his sim and SD cards to the assisting personnel, they were done with the shop. They walked out and strolled.

“Okay, okay, let’s call Jinyoung now,” Jiyeon excitedly said.

“Call him when you get your own phone,” Jaebum teased.

“Ah, er.”

“Why don’t you buy one so you don’t have to make calls with my phone?”

“Why will I buy one if you already have one?”

“I won’t lend it to you anymore.”

“Fine. It’s not as if I need to make calls anyway.”

“Don’t you miss your best friend?”

“Oh, Hara?” Jiyeon smiled at the thought. “Hmm, I miss her. But we’re not really the clingy type.”

“Since when did girls stop being clingy?” Jaebum smirked.

“Excuse me?!” Jiyeon replied. Jaebum just laughed. This . “Anyway, I think I have something to buy now,” Jiyeon said as she pulls Jaebum inside a camera shop.

Being inside the camera shop reminded Jaebum of Mark. His friend once gave him an SLR camera for a gift. He has a thing with photos and stuff, and Mark’s gift was the most precious so far. And most expensive, he must admit.

“How can you give him a camera and just a cap for me?!” Jackson complained.

“He gave you a cap, and he gave me a box of candies! Who do you think is less gifted between us?” Bambam cried.

“He gave me a hug, you guys.” Yugyeom sighed.

“Okay, now I feel better with this bag of lollipops he gave me,” Jinyoung laughed.

“Fine, I’ll be contented with my socks too. At least it’s more than a hug,” Youngjae teased.

“Yah!” A pull of his arm pulled Jaebum out of his memory of their Christmas three years ago. “I said, I’m taking this!” Jiyeon showed Jaebum a Hello Kitty-designed Polaroid camera. “What do you say?”

“You’ll pay me after this, right?”

“Of course, you poor bastard,” Jiyeon retorted while taking Jaebum’s card on his hand. After paying for everything she took, they walked out again.

They did not stay too long in the mall, just long enough to be able to eat lunch in there. Not on a café, Jaebum thanked. By 2 PM, they were walking on the way back to the hotel.

“Hey, I haven’t seen Jaeyoung for a while now,” Jiyeon noticed.

“That’s because we haven’t ridden her in days already.”

“Oooh, never had a since—“ Jaebum flicked her forehead. Jiyeon laughed hysterically. “I’m just kidding, okay!”

“You are so dirty.”

“Oh, wait, that reminds me!” Jiyeon faced Jaebum. “You said you got too attached to Jaeyoung after you named her. So, why don’t you name your other stuff as well? So it won’t be easy for you to just dispose them, you know.”

“Name what?”

“For starters, let’s name your new phone.” Jaebum frowned at Jiyeon, not getting what she’s saying. “Let’s give your new phone a name!!!”

“No.”

“Yes!”

“That’s childish.”

“And giving your car a name isn’t childish, you say?” Jiyeon interrogated.

“I hate you and your logic.”

Jiyeon offered a wide smile. Then it slowly faded. “Uhm, I can’t actually think of any…”

“I’ll just name it Jiyeon.”

“Yah!”

“What? You can’t give me anything, so take what I’ll provide.”

“Eesh!” Jiyeon rolled her eyes. “Yah! I’ve thought of a better name!”

“Let’s see.”

“Uhm… Yeonji?” Jaebum tried hard to stifle his laugh, but he can only do a few seconds. After that, he burst out laughing. Jiyeon hit him, but he really can’t stop laughing.

“Fine,” he managed to say in between laughs. Yeonji, huh.

 

­


 

The next few days, they spent fortunes for hotel accommodation because both of them decided to just stay in their rooms. Or more like, Jiyeon decided to not go out for some time and Jaebum decided going out without Jiyeon would be boring.

But spending three straight days without actually doing anything is absolutely a grand way of wasting money, so Jaebum got up on his bed one lazy Tuesday afternoon to knock on Jiyeon’s door.

“Come in,” she responded to his knocks. When Jaebum got in, he saw piles of paper on the coffee table. He walked to it while Jiyeon is comfortably lying down on the sofa, sipping at her chocolate drink while watching TV.

“What’s this?” Jaebum inquired. Much to his surprise, Jiyeon jumped up from the sofa. When he thought she was gonna attack him in her own way, she took a deep breath, probably to calm herself. Then she slowly sat down and got a hold of Jaebum’s arm. This time, it was him who almost jumped up.

“Jaebum-ah~” Jiyeon said, charming Jaebum.

“What do you want?” he asked in the most uninterested tone he could.

“Let’s go hiking…”

“What?” he sputtered at her.

“Please…” Hiking was one of Jiyeon’s to-do things on Seoul, and she would do anything to make Jaebum agree with her.

“No.”

“Please~”

“No.”

“I’d do anything just so you’d say yes!” she offered.

Of course, Jaebum won’t let this opportunity pass. “You really mean anything?” he asked, grinning.

“Well, of course you have to be considerate enough. Think carefully and don’t ask for anything ridiculous because you might not be able to go back in Busan alive.”

“Do you really have to threaten me always?”

Jiyeon smiled. “You always make me threaten you.”

Jaebum shook his head. “I just want one thing from you.”

“Sure. Just not my virgi—“

“What the ing hell, Jiyeon.” Jaebum was shooting Jiyeon daggers that could not impossibly kill her.

“I’m just kidding!” Jiyeon laughed. “You are too sensitive, gosh.”

“I don’t get your humor sometimes.” Jiyeon continued laughing. “Yah, take me seriously.”

She tried to hold in her laughter. “Okayyy…”

“Don’t ask me anything Irene-related anymore from now on, okay?”

Jiyeon frowned. “Huh? Why? I thought you’re fine with my questions…”

“I don’t know. I just felt traumatized by your questions few days ago.”

“Ohhhh…”

“Besides, we’re on a vacation, right? You want to be away from Myungsoo and all the s related to him, and I do, too. So let’s not talk about the people who’d just spoil our mood, can we?”

Jiyeon stared at Jaebum and sensed his hidden fear. Fear of facing Irene again, fear of analyzing his feelings for her, and fear of speaking the truths he kept hidden to himself. All of Jaebum’s fears made his eyes look even darker, as if he’s always on guard on what might happen. And Jiyeon knows she doesn’t like it a bit. She wants carefree Jaebum, the Jaebum she first met—the guy who doesn’t hold his tongue back, scared of what might come out of his mouth. She’d rather have the rude but fun to be with (or sometimes annoying to be with) Jaebum, rather than this uber afraid guy in front of her.

When Jiyeon nodded, Jaebum’s eyes lit up. And that lit Jiyeon’s mood up as well.

“So, what are these?” he asked again. This time, on a lighter mood.

“Oh, papers?”

“Yes, I can see the papers perfectly.”

Jiyeon rolled her eyes. “I went to a computer café the other day and had these printed,” she told him.

“And you didn’t even tell me you went out?”

“I tried calling you, but you were such a heavy sleeper, you jerk.”

“Fine. Tsk. So, what are these for?”

Jiyeon smiled widely at him. “We will go to Mt. Yongmasan! Yipee!” she jumped up and down on the sofa.

Jaebum just shook his head and tried to read what was on the paper, but he couldn’t possible read anything because the sofa keeps on shaking because Jiyeon keeps on jumping. He put aside the paper and tried to get a hold of Jiyeon, but he cannot since she was on the other side of the sofa, so he stood up and held her arms. When Jiyeon jumped once more, Jaebum found himself underneath her on the sofa when she fell. Jaebum’s head was on the arm rest, and Jiyeon’s forearms were on his chest.

Jiyeon fell down on tangled limbs with Jaebum, but she wasn’t hurt. Though their faces were mere inches apart, she feels perfectly comfortable on top of Jaebum. The guy, on the other hand, seemed to be affected by their closeness. Jiyeon also noted that his heart was beating rather fast on his chest, so she planned on staying on her position for another few minutes.

Before Jaebum could ask her to move away, Jiyeon spoke. “So, as I was saying, let’s go to Mt. Yongmasan!”

“And… why…would we?” Jaebum struggled saying. His heart was beating abnormally on his chest, and Jiyeon seems to be enjoying his torture. He wants to push Jiyeon away so he could breathe normally again, but he can’t deny he wants her this close to him.

“Just because! We don’t really need to have strong reasons to do some things, right?” she said, tilting her head to emphasize her point.

“Maybe if you… move away from me—“

“Say yes first!”

“You’re heavy!”

“Say yes and I’ll get off!”

“Fine!” Jaebum yelled.

“Fine, what?” Jiyeon teased.

“Fine, we’ll go climb Mt. Yongmasan! Damn it!” he shouted. Jiyeon got off immediately and danced around the room.

“Don’t worry! Mt. Yongmasan is still in Seoul! Woohoo!” she told him while still doing her crazy dance.

Sometimes, Jaebum wonders how he could keep up with Jiyeon.