Stranger, Coffee, and Seoul

SEOUL-MATE [ON HOLD]

CHAPTER ONE. Stranger, Coffee, and Seoul

 

--

 

“Yes, yes, Jinyoung. I can hear you perfectly,” Jaebum told Jinyoung who was over the phone. Well, that was half-lie… and half-truth, of course. Actually, he tuned himself out of Jinyoung’s voice minutes ago. Though he could hear him perfectly, he wasn’t paying attention to understand him or whatever’s he’s preaching.

Park Jinyoung is Jaebum’s bestfriend for more than a decade now. But after several occurrences when they were in middle school, Jinyoung acted more like his mother than his bestfriend. Jaebum was fine with that, but at times like this when Jinyoung preaches a lot, he wishes to just be with his quiet, almost never speaking Mom. Jaebum sighed to himself and carefully drove around the corner, avoiding the lamp post there beside a tree. No matter how much he hates his life, he would never want himself injured.

“Jaebum-ah!” Jaebum made an abrupt stop when his bestfriend-slash-mother shouted on the other line. He heard laughter on the phone. So, the whole gang is with him, Jaebum thought to himself.

“Jinyoung, I ran away from home because I hate it when people scold me; so please, stop doing the same thing because I don’t want to hate you right now.” He started the car again and continued driving down the street.

Jinyoung sighed upon hearing Jaebum’s response. So he really did run away. Jinyoung knows Jaebum long enough to know he’ll soon snap out of everything happening around him and just run away. But he never thought it would happen this soon. On his birthday.

Mark, one of their friends, pulled him out of his trance when he snapped the phone away from him. Mark knew Jaebum would get annoyed if Jinyoung continuously scold him. He walked away with it and talked to Jaebum by himself even if Jinyoung was killing him with his glares. Frustrated and clueless as to what to do next, Jinyoung just stood there on the same spot, eyes closed. Jackson held him by the shoulders and forced him to sit on the couch.

The whole gang is in Jaebum’s house. It’s 10 PM already, and they are supposed to stay awake ‘til midnight to wait for Jaebum’s birthday. But how would they do that if the birthday boy himself is not home? Neither one of them saw this coming. We shouldn’t have bought a cake if we knew he won’t be around, the guys’ thoughts were all the same.

“You need to calm down, Jinyoung,” Yugyeom said while changing channels.

“Jaebum is old enough to handle himself.”

“Plus, he loves himself too much to even want himself dead.” Youngjae, Yugyeom, and Bambam laughed at Jackson’s statement. They all know he’s right.

Jaebum’s love for himself is over the roof. Though that doesn’t diminish the fact that he’s a great friend to all six of them, sometimes he irritates them. He would often do things that would please him without thinking of other’s (and his friends’) opinions, and he didn’t care what the consequences of his actions are. And the worst thing is that he hurts every single lady that goes his way. As in hurt them. Break their hearts. Make them cry. His say about that? They do not deserve an inch of me. Sometimes, Mark, Jackson, Youngjae, Bambam, and Yugyeom, the five guys Jaebum just met on middle school, wonder if Jaebum thinks they don’t deserve an inch of him, too. But Jinyoung would always remind them that he didn’t think of it that way. And that he treasures them more than they think.

After a few more channels, Yugyeom decided to hand the remote to Bambam, and he immediately put it on a cartoon channel. Jinyoung already calmed down and the five of them were in the middle of watching a kiddie show when Mark returned inside.

“So?” Jinyoung stood up quickly, getting his phone from Mark.

“He doesn’t want us to know where he’s up to,” he shrugged. It’s true. No matter how much Mark persuaded Jaebum to tell him where he’s going, his friend kept quiet. That’s when he knew he really needs this space.

The entire gang was quiet. They were all gauging the proper reaction to make when Jinyoung shouted, “GPS! Let’s use GPS to track his phone! Or his car!” All at once, the gang laughed hysterically. Yes, they were all worried over him, but Jinyoung is overly worried, it just cracks them up. “What the hell?! This is no funny issue!”

“You’re overreacting,” Yugyeom observed.

“And that makes this entire thing funny,” Youngjae followed.

“What if he makes too much of a mess and he can’t get himself out of it? What if he drives drunk and meet an accident? What if… he impregnates someone?!!” Jinyoung shuddered at the thought. His friends’ eyes widen in shock, then they each threw him a throw pillow.

“You really think he would do that?!” Bambam freaked out.

“I just said ‘what if’!” Jinyoung defended.

“Then, let’s help him take care of the kid!” Jackson laughed. Mark, seated on Jackson side, just shook his head. He saw this chaos coming. He pulled out his phone and composed a message.

“No matter where you go and what you do, don’t get someone pregnant. Jinyoung’s being lunatic here.”

Jaebum laughed at Mark’s message before putting the spoonful of yogurt on his mouth. After talking with Mark a while ago, he calmed down. He knows Mark would do his utmost best to keep the gang—especially Jinyoung—from looking for him. He’s not really running away for good; he just needs fresh air.

After finishing his yogurt and the rest of the food he ordered, he went inside the nearest convenience store to buy food he can take on his way to nowhere. He then walked back inside his car with the two plastic bags of food and two bottles of water.

Before starting the engine of Jaeyoung, his car, he first looked at his watch. 11:37 PM. A few more minutes before he turns 19. Jaebum sighed to himself. In 23 minutes, I’ll be a year older. With that thought in mind, he revved Jaeyoung’s engine and started his trip to wherever.

Looking at his phone’s map, he’s already nearing the border of the city. A few more kilometers and he’s out of Busan. He’s smiling to himself when all of a sudden, someone surprisingly appeared from the side and much to his panic, he almost hit her. Almost. Damn, his car was just inches away from… a girl?

He immediately got out of his car.

“Jaeyoung-ah, are you okay?” he asked his car, though he fully know it won’t answer. Jaeyoung is his car ever since. Though he only got to drive him last year, he owned the car since middle school. He’s most protective of Jaeyoung, then his friends. His friends are understanding enough to get his priorities.

Jiyeon, on the other hand, unbelievingly looked at the driver. Yes, his car (that she doesn’t know the model because she’s not interested in them) is as gorgeous as him, but she can’t process the idea that he cared for the car’s welfare more than hers.

Some guys are just obnoxiously in love with cars.

“I’m sorry,” the guy said which surprised Jiyeon. But much to her dismay, he wasn’t talking to her. The apology is addressed to his car. Damn this guy. She’s about to hit him for being so rude when her head ached. And damn being drunk! Argh!

Jiyeon ignored the guy when he impolitely asked her to get out of the way because her ing head is still aching. She closed her eyes and waited for the pain to go away. When she felt better, she slowly opened her eyes and realized the guy is already inside his precious car. Looking at his damn gorgeous face, he looks like he’s about to start and drive the car with or without her on the way. She contemplated to herself.  Is he the blessing in disguise? She’d been wanting to die since the start of summer vacation, and maybe he’s the solution.

But I want my chocolate frappe first…

With that thought in mind, she slowly limped out of his way.

Jaebum smirked when he saw the girl walk away. But he was so surprised when she knocked on his window.

He ignored her knocks and was about to drive away when he saw her knock with her heeled boots.

“Damn it!” he hissed and unwillingly opened the window on the shotgun seat. “What the hell?!” Hurt him all she wants, just not Jaeyoung.

“Open the door,” she drowsily said. She put her head inside the slightly opened window, making Jaebum’s head jerk back in shock. Is it just him, or is she really drunk? She stinks alcohol.

“No,” he said sternly.

“Ah, no,” she said casually then started hitting Jaeyoung with her boots again.

“Will you please stop!” he yelled at her.

“Let me in, let me in,” she chanted as she hits the car.

“Argh!” Having no choice, he opened the door harshly.

Too harsh that Jiyeon felt her head almost detach from her neck. Didn’t he realize her head was still inside the car? Or did he do it on purpose? Jiyeon took the latter. But of course she did not show him her annoyance. She smirked instead. And before drowsing comfortably beside him, she gave the guy—the gorgeous guy—a sleepy smile. She caught him roll his eye and her drunk self thought, how hot was that!

 


 

Despite her aching head, Jiyeon felt something soft behind her back. Without opening her eyes, she thought deeply to remember where she is. She remembered drinking alone and it was almost 12 AM when she got out of the club to get herself a chocolate frappe. Some guys she talked to in the club offered company, but she insisted on going alone. Maybe she should’ve just accepted their offer so she would have an idea where she is right now.

Jiyeon thought, if she fell asleep on the street… why is her back not aching from the hard concrete? Why can’t she feel other people’s presence around her, crowding and asking each other, What happened to her? She thought deeper…

Ah! I asked a ride from someone.

Remembering the last thing she did, she slowly opened up her eyes and realized she was inside a moving car. Before she looked at the driver who in her memory is so ing gorgeous, she looked outside the car to see the sky still dark. She checked her wrist watch. 3:43 AM. Ah, not enough sleep. But at least, my head isn’t aching anymore.

She gave the driver a look and saw him focused on driving.

“Hi,” she started.

He ignored her.

“Where are we?”

She got ignored again. She thought of what she did last night to get him open up the door. It didn’t take her long to realize. Right, she hit his beloved car. She gawked at him. So, his car is his weakness.

She pretended she’s about to throw up. “Umph,” she swallowed and covered her lips. “Umph—“

“Argh, damn it!” He stopped the car to the side and immediately got out. She grinned, and that was what he saw when he opened the door on her side. “What the ?!” He’s obviously pissed. Hah!

“That got your attention, huh,” she mused.

“Damn you.”

Jaebum is so pissed. Every time the girl speaks, she just annoys the hell out of him. Somehow, she knows how to piss him without putting a lot of effort.

When the girl slept, he thought whether to bring her to a police station or bring her with him. If he brings her in the police station, what would he say? That a random stranger asked him for a ride? He thought that would make him look foolish so he just brought her with him. If the girl expected him to bring her home, maybe he could get a little vengeance by bringing her far away from home. He still doesn’t have a place to go, but having a beautiful company wouldn’t hurt.

Ugh, did I just say this annoying freak is beautiful? Jaebum grimaced.

So what happened to your ‘me time’? He could imagine Mark laughing at him.

“Okay, since I’m not as rude and impolite and disrespectful as you are—“

“Wow, thanks,” Jaebum sarcastically interrupted. He was caught off guard when she smiled at his sarcasm. Boy was she pretty.

Jiyeon continued, not minding that she was interrupted. “I would like to apologize,” she said with all the sincerity her slightly drunken self could muster. “I’d like to say sorry for hitting your beloved car, and I’m sorry for pissing you off the second we met. Though,” she trailed off. Jaebum gawked at her, “I’m not sorry for pissing you for the next moments.”

“You’re too honest for your own good, miss.”

“I have a name: Jiyeon.” Jaebum paused for a moment. Woah, her name’s as pretty as her face. “Right, as pretty as me, correct?” she grinned at him.

“I just hope your attitude is as pretty.”

“So, the rude stranger thinks I’m pretty. I’m honored,” Jiyeon bowed her head a little. “Let’s see. Do you have a name that’s as pretty as your face… or as bad as your attitude?” she .

“Excuse me? You’re calling me bad after I let you ride my car?”

“You’re just forced to do so.”

“At least—“

“Come on, just tell me your name so I’ll have something else to like besides your face.”

“So you like me.” Jaebum grinned.

“Don’t put words on my mouth, please. I said I like your face, not you.” He chortled. “You’ll say your name or I’ll damage your—“

“Fine, fine!” Jaebum held her wrist that’s about to hit Jaeyoung’s dashboard, and he was surprised to feel her soft skin against his hand. “You don’t have to be so violent! Geez. My name’s Jaebum.”

Suddenly, Jiyeon forgot her violence. “Jaebum…” she said his name with fondness that surprised Jaebum. “Jaebum. Jaebum. Jaebum-ah~” she chuckled.

“You’re weird,” Jaebum said.

“But pretty,” Jiyeon teased.

After their weird, first decent (he thinks) conversation, Jaebum went on driving. Jiyeon isn’t familiar with the place simply because she’d never been into anywhere besides Busan. And besides the destinations of their school trips.

“Jaebum-ah,” she called.

“If you’re going to say every word like that, I might forget how mean you are.”

“Unfortunately for you, I won’t. Just your name,” she laughed. “Jaebum-ah~”

“Stop it, you’re creeping me out.” He grimaced to prove his point. Jiyeon laughed harder.

“Where are we going?” she asked Jaebum.

“I don’t know,” he answered honestly.

“What the hell?” He’s unbelievable.

He took a deep breath sharply. “I’m being truthful when I said I don’t know. I mean—I planned on running away, yes, but I did not plan where to.”

“You’re so stupid,” Jiyeon commented.

Jaebum stopped the car. “You can get out of this stupid’s car.” She looked at Jaebum and saw no hint of tease. Geez, he’s so hot tempered.

“Yah, I’m just kidding. Stop being so hot tempered, will you?” she sighed. Jaebum still did not start the car. “Are you taking suggestions?”

“What?” he asked, confused.

“If I suggest a place, how much would you consider it?”

He looked carefully at her. “Depends on how sane your suggestion is.”

She gaped at him. “Fine. Fair enough.”

“Let’s hear it,” he prompted.

Jiyeon enthusiastically spoke her suggestion—the only place on her mind right now, actually. “Seoul!”

“Okay,” Jiyeon expectantly looked at Jaebum, “let’s not go there.”

“What?!” she shrieked.

“Tell me, did you leave your brain at home or what? It will take us 52 hours to drive to Seoul, Jiyeon! That’s minus the traffic in case we got stuck.”

Jiyeon paused for a moment. Really? She was confused and startled with her stupidity when Jaebum laughed. Damn it, he’s playing with me! She looked abruptly at him and was about to hit him when he saw Jaebum’s laughing face.

Jaebum’s small, chinky eyes became a slit as he laughs. She’d never seen him laugh yet, but the Jaebum beside her looks genuinely happy—even if he’s laughing at her stake. Shizus, his broad, dependable shoulders are even shaking. Damn him.

“Stop playing with me, you bastard!” Even if she liked his laughing state, she hit him hard.

“You’re such a stupid girl,” he said.

“And you’re such a rude jerk,” she retorted. He unlocked the car doors. “Gosh, fine, I’m just kidding! Argh.”

Jaebum cleared his throat. He really cannot get over the fact that Jiyeon is such a naïve girl. South Korea isn’t a huge country, and they can reach Seoul in less than half a day. But the thing is, he’s tired and there’s no way in hell he would let Jiyeon drive his car. (being cute doesn’t assure him of Jiyeon’s driving skills)

“Let’s just go to—“

“You won’t insist on going to Seoul?” he asked.

“It seems like a tiring distance to drive, so uh…” Jiyeon recalled the map her Geography teacher showed the class but can’t get anything.

“We’ll go to Seoul,” Jaebum decided. And I don’t know why.

“Really?” Jiyeon’s brightness is enough to light the whole road. “Woooow, who would’ve thought you could be nice too?” she teased.

“Or not. Let’s go back to Busan—“

“Damn you and your temperament!” Jiyeon shrieked, then kept herself quiet. Maybe she should just shut up or else she would be kicked out of the car. Or maybe not. I can’t help not tease this cute jerk. Daaamn.

 


 

Jaebum was tired and sleepy. He looked at his phone for their location and they’re just few kilometers away from Daegu. Damn it, it’s almost 4 AM and we’re just in Daegu. Jaebum shook his head and decided to focus on his driving. He took a two-hour nap earlier which maybe was the reason why they took so long to reach a neighbor city.

A few more minutes and they were in Daegu. He drove on the familiar road and looked for a café. Both he and Jiyeon need a dose of caffeine. Jiyeon needs to sober up, and he needs to wake up. When they arrived at the café, he parked and shook Jiyeon.

I’ll text Bambam later and tell him I met Sleeping Beauty. Jaebum laughed to himself. No matter how much this girl annoys him, he still can’t deny the fact that she’s got a pretty face.

When Jiyeon doesn’t wake up with his shaking, he pushed her hard. She hit the window.

“Argh!” she growled.

“Get up,” he commanded.

“No.”

“Get up.”

“No.”

“I said, get up!” he shouted at her ears.

“Damn you!” she snarled, but she sat up straight. “Are we in Seoul yet?”

“No. We’re in Daegu, and we’ll drink coffee.”

“Really?” Jiyeon smiled sweetly at Jaebum. She was awaken all of a sudden. At last, a chocolate frappe!

“Yes. But since you are too stubborn to wake up immediately, I won’t treat you a drink.”

Jiyeon grimaced but opened the door. “Fine.”

The café looks so chic even with the wooden built. When they walked in, the walls were made of bricks which Jiyeon adored. She has a thing for cafes no matter how they looked, and she’s in total bliss seeing a new coffee shop. Though she orders the same thing on cafes, she really likes to go café hopping.

“You look stupid,” Jaebum told her.

“Eesh,” she rolled her eyes. Jaebum walked to the counter and Jiyeon left for the rest room.

After peeing, Jiyeon looked at herself and saw she still has make up on. She washed her face and fished for tissue on her bag. When her face is free of make up, she brushed her long, brown hair and tied it in a bun. After spending time inside, she got out and walked to the counter to order to the smiling lady.

“Chocolate frappe with extra whipped cream, please,” she paid as she said her order. As her order was being prepared, she looked at the stand beside the counter and checked the pastries. She saw a cute chocolate cake with hearts on it and ordered it. After paying, she asked herself why she ordered the cake. Not getting a decent answer from herself, she just shrugged it off.

After the lady gave her the frappe and the cake, she turned around and looked for Jaebum. The café only has few customers at this hour: a couple on the side, and a group of friends on the middle table. A guy smiled at her, but instead of smiling back, she raised her eyebrow at him and continued looking for Jaebum. A few more seconds and she saw him on the terrace of the café, staring at his parked car.

“Your girlfriend must be jealous of the attention you give to your car,” Jaebum heard Jiyeon commented. For a girl, she got out of the rest room fast. Although he’s not around much females, he has Jinyoung who beats his Mom in being slow in getting ready.

“Jaeyoung is my girlfriend, why would she get jealous of herself?” he turned around and was dumfounded to see Jiyeon.

Jaebum never denied to himself and even to Jiyeon that she’s pretty, but seeing her face clear of make up only made Jaebum stare even more. With her hair up in a bun, he could clearly see her long lashes, small nose, and pink lips.

“Are you getting me on your mind or what?” Jiyeon teased, her brow raised.

“You’re so dirty.” Jaebum frowned. “Is that a cake?”

“Ah, yes,” Jiyeon answered. She opened the box and a chocolate cake showed up. “For you.”

Jaebum was speechless, he could only say, “Huh?”

“For being nice sometimes,” she winked at him and handed Jaebum a spoon she borrowed from the server. “See? I could be nice, too,” Jiyeon chuckled before sitting down.

“Weird,” Jaebum said, shaking his head.

Unbelievably, they spent the next minutes without bickering. Thanks to the cake and their drinks, their mouths were too busy to argue.

After eating half the cake, Jiyeon asked, “So your car has a name?”

“Yes. Jaeyoung.”

“And it’s female.” Jaebum hummed his agreement. “Aren’t you the dirty one between us?” she eyed him.

“What the hell?” Jaebum stopped eating.

“Imagine saying, I rode Jaeyoung and it was a fun, exciting experience! Or maybe, Jaeyoung was so comfortable to be ridden on! Eww.” Jiyeon grimaced and Jaebum could see how disgusted she is.

Realizing from Jiyeon’s disgusted face what she was talking about, Jaebum laughed out loud. His laughter roared and the customers inside the café all looked at him. Jiyeon waited for him to stop, but it took him a good five minutes before he calmed down.

“Damn, that was a good laugh,” Jaebum said.

“I hate you,” Jiyeon said.

“Actually, it was someone else’s idea that I name the car.” Jaebum smiled as he remembered Jinyoung’s suggestion to give the car a name. Well, he was right when he said he’d grow closer and more attached to it if he named it.

“Okay, I forgive her for suggesting that… since Jaeyoung is quite a good name.”

“Will you please stop using female pronouns?”

“What? You have issues with my pronouns too?”

“The only woman in my life is my Mom, and she’s obviously not the one who suggested I name my car.”

“Uhm, is your mom a busy person?”

Jaebum frowned at Jiyeon’s question. “She works, so she’s not home much. Why?”

“Ah, that explains it. You do not get much interaction with females so you don’t know how to properly treat one,” she concluded.

“You know what, it’s so hard to be nice to you. You’re so mean, I’m betting my life you don’t have a boyfriend.” Jiyeon’s tear ducts are about to bring out hot liquids and it’s too much effort to stop herself from crying. No, I shouldn’t cry. And I shouldn’t be mad. Jaebum knows nothing. He knows nothing.

She decided to just laugh it off. “Can you just bet Jaeyoung, please?”

“No way,” he dismissed the talk immediately. Thank goodness.

“Wait, you said your Mom’s the only woman in your life. How about female classmates?”

“I go to an all-boys school.”

“Whaaat?” That’s boring!

“And don’t get me started with girlfriend questions. I don’t commit, so obviously, I don’t have a girlfriend.”

“Oh, just flings.”

“Do you really have to conclude my statements?”

“Yes! For clarity’s sake.” Jaebum just shook his head and went to finish the cake.

After Jaebum was done eating, they got back to the car. It’s 5:14 AM now, and they would probably reach Seoul before noon, so Jaebum tried his hardest to open up his eyes. He’s about to start the car when Jiyeon stopped him.

“What now?” he hissed.

“Just sleep.”

“Huh? And how will we reach Seoul if I’ll sleep?”

“Seoul can wait. You can’t risk driving Jaeyoung in your sleepy state, can you? You’ll hurt her.”

Jaebum contemplated on Jiyeon’s question and realized he’s too sleepy to drive.

“Don’t you dare drive Jaeyoung.”

“Wow, how’d you know I can drive?”

“Just a hunch,” Jaebum shrugged.

“Fine, I won’t drive her. But will you please sleep at the back? You’re too tall to try to sleep in there.” Jiyeon stared at Jaebum and saw his struggle to find a good sleeping position. “You can sleep at the back with your legs folded.”

“Are you concerned?” Jaebum teased, but he moved at the backseat.

“You wish.” Jiyeon’s stuck out tongue was the last thing Jaebum saw before he fell asleep.