Crescendo (Chapter 1)

The Stars Above Will Shine For Us

The sky was alight in a fiery haze, the sun and clouds obscured by grey smoke. What happened? What was that tremor?

Why had the ground split in two?

"Kai! Kai!"

He recognizes that voice.

"Mom? Mom, where are you?" He can't see; his eyes are clouded by the smoke and debris.

Fear wasn't an emotion he felt often, but he felt it now.

A hand grabs his own, "Kai, I'm here. I'm here." It's his mother.

"What is going on?" he asked. 

"There isn't much time. There is nothing left for you here, my son. I only wish that I could go with you but I can't." He can hear the tears in her voice even if he can't see her face clearly. 

"What are you talking about? We need to get out of here," he tries to pull her along, but she doesn't move.

Her hand his ash stained cheek. "Not us, Kai. You. " 

He then feels a pull, and a circle of blue light appears beneath him. 

His eyes widened. "The space bridge? Mom what are you-"

For a moment his vision is crystal clear, and he sees the tears streaming down his mother's face. "Never forget that I love you. And I'm sorry."

He opens his mouth, to say something, anything, that he loves her too, but the world around him alights into blue and he feels the tug as he's pulled through space.

And that's the last thing he remembers before his vision fades to black.


Taemin wakes up to the sound of his phone vibrating on the bedside table. He moans sleepily and picks it up. 

"Hello?"

"Hey, sorry to bother you. Were you sleeping?" It's his friend Suyeon, with the worst possible timing, as per usual.

"As a matter of fact, I was." He says.

"I'm sorry, really, but this is important. There's something I need to show you." Her voice is excited, and he finds himself both concerned and curious.

"What is it?"

"You just- you have to see it for yourself," is all she says.

He sighs. "Fine. Where are you?"

"The train station near our university. I'll be waiting."

She hangs up before he has the chance to respond.


When Kai wakes up he has no idea where he is. 

He sits up and immediatly coughs, smoke still in his lungs. He looks around but wherever he is, it's too dark to see anything. He struggles to stand on weak legs, and it's all he can do just to remain standing.

That's when he realizes something.

He doesn't remember anything.

Fire.

Tremors.

His mother?

Tears.

Blue light-

His head erupts into pain at the effort to recall what happened before. He can only think that he was sent trough the space bridge by- by who? Why? To where? 

It really was no use; trying to remember only made his head hurt worse. So instead of fretting over something that obviously wasn't going to get him anywhere anytime soon, he decides to look around. 

Except there isn't much to see. Then it dawns on him that he's actually in a closet. He notices the slit between the bottom of the door and the floor where light now filters through where it didn't before. 

And the he realizes something else: someone was in the room.

And they were walking towards him.

His mind raced to figure out how to hide, but at that same moment the door opens and he is met face to face by a wide eyed girl.

And she screams.

He places his hand over in a flash, panic setting in. She tries to struggle in his grasp, but he holds firm.

"Please, I promise I won't hurt you, just let me explain!" he pleads.

The girl eyes him suspiciously, her shocking electric blue eyes gazing deep into his own dark ones.

"Just trust me."

Slowly, she nods and ends her struggling.

Kai cautiously removes his hand and steps to the side of her, not breaking eye contact with her.

"Who are you?" she asks, suspicion coating her voice. "How did you get in here?"

He doesn't know why, but he feels wary of the girl. Should I tell her my real name or...?

"Kim... Jongin..." He decides on deceit. 

Her head tilts. "You don't sound too sure of that."

"I'm sure. My name is Kim Jongin."

"Okay, then how did you get in my closet?"

He doesn't know how to respond to that. "I, uh..." What should he tell her? There isn't really a logical way to cover this up...

"Promise me you won't think I'm crazy for saying this."

She takes a step back. "What are you going to say? Are you some sort of ert? A stalker?"

"W-what? No, just hear me out."

"You've got five minutes."

He then rushes to recount as mush as her can remember, the fire, the blue light, and waking up in her closet.

"Oh, and I have the ability to teleport." 

She stares at him before bursting into a fit of laughter. "Of all the things you said, that is by far the hardest to believe."

"Shall I prove it then?" 

"Eh?"

He concentrates and in a distorted flash of white, he is suddenly behind her. 

Her head snaps around to face him, her eyes wide. "Y-you actually can t-teleport!" she exclaims.

He shrugs smugly. "Why would I lie about something like that?"

The girl suddenly grabs him by the wrist. "Come with me." 

She drags him out the door, grabbing a bag on the way out.

"Where are you taking me? And wait, what's your name?"

Without stopping, she gives him a sideways smile. "Suyeon. Lee Suyeon. And we're going to the train station."

Kai has no other choice but to get dragged along by this strange girl, and his uncertainty of what lies ahead mixes with the cunfusion of why he was here and what it meant for him.


Woo! That's the end of the first chapter! This was a random idea that I had and I just went with it. Sorry if the title seems a bit cheesy, but, well, you'll understand it later. This is my first time writing a Taekai fic (even though they technically haven't met yet). Next chapter wil be Taemin and Kai's first encounter! 

I don't know when I'll update again, but hopefully next week sometime! Thank you for reading!

A/N: Lee Suyeon is an OC and will only really be used as a plot device and will not have a romantic connection to either Kai or Taemin. This IS a Taekai fic, after all. :)

~AeZSiA