Chapter 1

Scandalicious

Spotted in the 300 Building: The Two Princesses of Woolim High. 

C stormed out, bruised and battered, on B while the latter watched with a smirk. The reasons behind this little cat fight remain unknown, but it won't be long before everything is uncovered. B might have won this round, but she better not let her guard down just yet. Will C come back with a stronger counterattack? Or will she go down without a fight?

Only one can be the queen, so who'll come out on top? There's nothing better than a fight for power.

I'll always be watching,

Scandalicious


"Hey hey hey! Did you hear?" Sungjong waved his phone excitedly at Dongwoo. "Chorong and Bomi got in a fight! Who would've expected that!" 

Dongwoo rolled his eyes. "Whatever. You know everything on Scandalicious is complete bull." 

"I don't know what you're talking about. Stuff there always turns out scarily accurate."

Dongwoo grabbed the phone from Sungjong's hands and scanned through the article. It was written by Scandalicious, a website updating Woolim High's students on the latest gossip around. It was unknown how the website functioned, except it was run by someone referred to as the ‘Brain’. The Brain dug out all rumors, big and small, with help from his 'Eyes.' No one knew who an Eye was or even how many of them there were. They were scattered everywhere and could be watching at any given moment.

"'The two princesses of Woolim High... Only one can be the queen, so who'll come out on top?'" Dongwoo read off from the article. “Seriously? That's so cheesy. But anyway, Sungjong, tell me, in what way does this say that it's Chorong and Bomi?"

He shrugged, "It was them in the picture."

Dongwoo scrolled down and came across the picture. It was a photo of a fight between two girls, probably taken by some bystander. The two were clawing at each other's blurred out faces, while their bodies were twisted unnaturally.

“How would you know who is who? You can't even see their faces."

"It's because word spreads quickly, even when Scandalicious's trying to protect their privacy by blurring out their faces. A lot of people saw the fight with their own eyes. They said it was Chorong and Bomi."

"But those two," Dongwoo frowned, "aren't they like best friends? They're practically inseparable." 

"Not anymore, I guess." 

"What if it wasn't actually them in the picture? Maybe someone used the opportunity to start a rumor.” 

Sungjong rolled his eyes. “Stop denying it. It's so obvious. The two princesses of Woolim High. Who else could they be?"

"They're not the only girls at our school."

"I know. Why am I not an Eye? They should've chosen me, everyone knows I love gossip."

“That's exactly why you aren’t one. You love gossiping so much that you'll spill everything. If they recruited you they’d be putting their identity at stake."

"Who says?"

"Plus, you could be an Eye for all I know. You could just be saying that to make me less suspicious."

"That goes for you too.”

"I know."

Just then, Woohyun popped out from behind him. 

"Hi!" He said cheerfully. 

“Why the hell are you here?" Dongwoo looked at him suspiciously. 

 Woohyun grinned, “Skipping, what else?”

“What about your class?”

"Eh. It's too boring. No one will notice me anyway.”

Dongwoo looked up and realized how loud the classroom was. Everyone was chattering away, too preoccupied by their conversations. No one spared Woohyun a glance. He looked over at his teacher Mrs. Yoo, who was busily typing away at her computer and ignoring how unproductive everyone was being. Woohyun caught his action and grinned. "It's fine, she told me I could stay. Whatcha talking about?" 

Sungjong's eyes literally sparkled, "Chorong and Bomi."

"Sungjong," Dongwoo groaned. 

Woohyun lowered his voice slightly. "Oh... you mean the fight? I was there."

"Seriously?" Sungjong leaned forward eagerly, "Tell me about it!"

"It happened—"

"You guys," Dongwoo cut Woohyun off, "We really shouldn't be talking about this. What if there was something underneath it all that we don't know about? All these rumors might end up hurting Chorong and Bomi!"

"Then Scandalicious will dig out the truth. Plus everyone knows now. It doesn't matter anymore. Go on Woohyunnie, Dongwoo's just being stubborn.”

"Okay... They fought a few days ago on Monday. I was in the 300 building during lunch when it happened. I heard yelling so I went to see what was going on. There was a huge crowd gathered around so getting to the front of it was a real struggle. Apparently Chorong and Bomi were fighting. Hair pulling, punching, and a lot of insults," he shuddered, "Girls are scary."

"And no one stepped in?" Dongwoo asked incredulously, "Not even you? You’re dating Chorong though!"

"I tried, bit it was really intense." Woohyun pointed to his cheek, where a fading bruise lingered, "I even ended up getting slapped for interfering." 

"You could've called a teacher over."

"Oh, I forgot." Woohyun looked away from Dongwoo guiltily.

“You forgot? In that situation?  What if someone got hurt?"

"I got hurt." 

"You're supposed to get a teacher whenever fights happen. You don't know how fast it could've escalated or how many people could've gotten involved." 

"I know... I'm sorry, jeez."

"Remember last year?” Dongwoo continued, “It started out as just a scuffle, but it turned into full out war because no one bothered to interfere! Six people were beaten up and bruised. One of them was left with a broken arm. It was horrible. What if today was like that?" 

Sungjong sighed, "Dongwoo. Give him a break. What's done is done. At least it didn't end with anyone seriously injured this time."

"No one was seriously injured? My face was bruised for days!" 

"..."

"Okay fine, it wasn't that bad." 

"But anyway, Woohyun, how are you doing?" Sungjong asked worriedly, "With Chorong involved and all." 

"I'm fine, but it's Chorong we should be worried about. I asked her about Bomi and she wouldn't talk about it. She's been really down ever since the fight." 

"Speaking of Chorong, have you seen her at all this week except on Monday?" 

"No. She'll probably be back after she recovers from the stress and all." 

"Bomi's been here all week though. On top of that, she seemed fine to me." 

"Someone told me it was Bomi who started it.”

"Must've been a shock for Chorong. It's Bomi we're talking about. They were really close.” 

"Yeah."

At that moment, an eraser hit Woohyun square in forehead and he stumbled backwards precariously. 

"Nam Woohyun! What are you doing in my classroom?" 

"Oh hi Mrs. Yoo! I was just.. Um.. Visiting."

"Does your teacher this period know?" 

"...No?" 

Mrs. Yoo sighed, "Woohyun, get out. Right now." 

The rest of the class snickered.

Dongwoo raised an eyebrow. "I thought you said she let you stay."

"Ahaha... That was a lie. Gotta run. Bye!" Woohyun bolted out of the classroom. Shaking his head at Woohyun's antics, Dongwoo laughed out loud, totally forgetting their earlier conversation while Sungjong grinned.


At 2 o'clock the bell signaling the end of last period rang. Students poured out of the classroom doors, impatient to get home. Soon, the parking lot was jammed with cars, all waiting to get out of the school gates. As soon as the buses were finished loading, they joined the flow of cars.

By 4 o'clock, only a few stragglers from after school clubs and sports were left. They dragged their feet, tired from the long day.

Finally, by 6 o'clock, the school campus was pretty much empty except for two students. They leaned against a brick wall, tapping away on their phones. The screens were lit up brightly, contrasting with the darkening sky. After a while, one of them spoke up. 

"Eunji. Let’s go."

"Alright, Gyu." 

"Don't call me that!" 

"Why? It’s cute." 

“I’m a manly man.”

"Pshh whatever. Let's get this over with. I want to go home. You got the keys?"

"Yup," Sunggyu patted his pocket. "So the plan is: get into the CCTV system, watch Bomi and Chorong's fight, figure out what happened between them, get out." 

"Basically."

The two walked across the empty campus, their footsteps echoing eerily in the silence. They stopped at a door labeled 'SECURITY' in big bold letters. Sunggyu tugged the keys out of his pocket before inserting one into the keyhole of the door. When he heard a satisfying click, he pushed open the door and stepped into the embracing darkness of the room. Eunji flipped on the light switch before closing the door behind her while Sunggyu bounded to the far side of the room, where a lone computer stood. On the screen was an image of an empty parking lot. Occasionally, it flickered and changed, revealing a different part of the school. Sunggyu settled into the chair in front of the computer and Eunji kneeled down next to him. 

"Alright. You remember what cameras are in the 300 building?"

"The numbers match with the buildings they're in. So 300-something." 

Sunggyu nodded and punched the numbers into the keyboard. The screen changed, dividing itself into four sections. Two of the sections were showing the footage outside the building while the other two were showing the inside. 

"Which one do we look at? We both weren't there when it happened, so we don't know the exact location," Eunji squinted at the screen, trying to make out the numbers on the classroom doors.

"It's fine. I'll just look at all of them. It happened on Monday right? What day was it?"

"The 23rd." 

Sunggyu continued typing into the keyboard. The footage on the screen shifted around, rewinding itself through the week. Eunji pulled out her phone, checking her notifications. Suddenly, she cursed.

", forget the plan. We can't stay here for long." 

"What's wrong?"

She held his phone out for Sunggyu to see. 

 

Kim Myungsoo @L.kim

Band concert @7

Wish us luck ;) 

 

"He tweeted it a while ago, that idiot. Why didn’t he tell us earlier? He knew we were coming here today.”

“Myungsoo doesn’t even use Twitter that much. Probably just his way of telling us.”

“Well it's 6:10 right now and the band kids should be arriving soon." 

"So we won't have time to look at this here. You got a flash-drive?"

"Luckily, yes," Eunji pulled out a flash-drive and handed it to Sunggyu, "It's my school one though, but it'll have to do." 

"Wanna come to my house tomorrow and look through the footage? We can tell our parents that we have a project or something."

"Sure. I'll call them later, but first," Eunji nodded at the screen, where it showed Chorong and Bomi walking together down a hallway. "How much do we need?" 

"All the way till the end of the fight. People are going to start asking Scandalicious for answers, and we're gonna have to figure it out." 

Sunggyu plugged the flash drive into the computer monitor. Within a few seconds, he managed to save the CCTV footage. After unplugging it, he handed it back to Eunji and reset the screen to what it was showing before. 

"Done. Let's get out of here now." 


Yay, I finally finished the first chapter 

Thanks for reading and constructive criticism always welcome c: