final

Parking War

Sora let out a frustrated sigh as she circled around the parking lot in her Honda CR-V SUV for the fifth time. It was blazing hot summer day where kids and adults were all staying in the comfort of their air conditioned homes. However, her mother had forced her to go do some grocery shopping for their upcoming family barbeque. And much to her surprise, there were still a ton of people out and about at the supermarket.

The girl grabbed her large iced coffee from the cup holder, feeling the cool condensation wet her hand. She brought the drink closer to her lips and took a long sip from the green straw as she turned to the left.

She spotted someone walking up to their car and excitedly put her coffee back in its holder. Just when she was about to turn on her signal, the person merely walked away and back into the supermarket. She groaned and threw her head back.

“God, where are there no spots?!” She gritted as she made yet another circle.

Once she turned, however, she saw an elderly couple making their way towards their car. She sat up straight and quickly made her way over. She made sure that they were leaving before turning on her signal.

Sora watched the couple with a smile on her face. “They’re so cute,” she cooed as she leaned on the steering wheel, watching the two load their bags into the trunk.

The cold air of the air conditioner blasted against her arm, making her quickly move away. She rubbed her arm and turned the temperature down since she was about to get off.

The couple finally slammed the trunk down and made their way to the front. The old man slowly backed up and Sora waited patiently. Once they were out of the spot and out of the way, she stepped down on the accelerator.

Before she even moved a foot, a shiny red sports car zoomed by her and swerved into the parking space. Her jaw dropped in disbelief and she soon breathed out angrily.

“I know this er did not just steal my spot,” she said to herself as she unbuckled her seatbelt.

She swung the door open and stepped out of the SUV.

“Hey! I was waiting for that spot!” She shouted as a tall, skinny man stepped out of the vehicle. He wore a polo shirt with the collar popped up, brushing against his jaw, along with a pair of Bermuda shorts. A pair of sunglasses rested on the top of his head and there was a smirk on his face as he brushed invisible dust off the side of the car.

Sora growled and walked closer. “Did you not hear me? I was waiting for this spot. You can’t just take it like that!”

The man scowled at the volume she was screaming at and picked his ear. “Can you stop shouting? I have sensitive ears.”

She scoffed and pointed to his car. “Get your car out of my spot.”

He looked at his car and then back at her. “Oh, so this is your spot now?”

“What?”

He shrugged and crossed his arms over his chest. “You keep on saying this is your spot but it’s not like your name is written on it.”

The girl breathed out loudly and ran a hand through her hair. “Look, , I didn’t circle around this parking lot for nearly an hour just to have my spot stolen. Yeah my name isn’t on it but I was the one who signaled that I was waiting for it. This is my spot. Didn’t you learn this when you learned how to drive, you prick?”

“That’s cool and all but I already parked there so can you move out of my way? I am dying for a tub of ice cream. You want some? My treat,” he said nonchalantly.

Sora bubbled in anger and bellowed, “Alright, that’s it. It is way too hot for this and I am way too annoyed to deal with you. Either you move out of my spot or I make you.”

The man pretended to shake. “Oh, I’m so scared. Please, what can a skinny girl like you do to me?”

Her nostrils flared in anger. “You don’t want to know.”

He rolled his eyes and pushed past her. “I don’t have time to deal with this bull.”

She gasped and pushed him back. “We wouldn’t be dealing with this crap if you didn’t ing steal my spot. Now get out and find your own.”

The look in his eye changed and he pushed her. “Make me, .”

“Did you just—Okay, that’s it. I’m gonna ing kill you,” she hissed as she balled her fist.

Before she could throw a punch, a hand grabbed her arm and she looked back in surprise. A man taller than the other stood behind her. He had elfish ears, cheeks that were red from the heat, and hair that was all mussed up from having his hand run through it too many times.

“Don’t punch him. He’s not worth it,” he said calmly.

Sora stared at him in shock, his baritone voice taking her completely off guard.

The man frowned at the sudden appearance of the other man. “Who the are you to into our business?”

“I don’t have anything to do with it but I do know that she went around the parking lot enough to get pissed off. I clearly saw her waiting for the spot so I think you should give it back to her and find your own,” he answered.

The owner of the sports car sized up the taller man and challenged, “Make me.”

The taller man smirked. “With pleasure.”

He grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him closer. “Now you listen here, punk, you had no right to steal her spot like that. This girl was waiting for it patiently and you just came in as if you own the place. It doesn’t work that way, kid. You gotta find your own spot and park in it yourself, not someone else’s. Now go find your own parking spot before I make you. And before you try to act all cool and try to challenge me to a fight, I’ll have you know that I do kickboxing so you do not want to get on my bad side,” he growled into his ear.

He shoved him back and the owner of the sports car fell on the hot asphalt. He quickly got back up and scrambled towards his car. There was a look of fear on his face as he back out of the spot and immediately drove away without looking back.

Sora stared at the tall man in awe. “Oh my God, that was amazing. Thank you so much, sir.”

He chuckled and ran a hand through his hair. “Please don’t call me sir. It makes me feel old. The name’s Chanyeol and it really wasn’t a problem. I hate it when people steal my spot and act as if they were there first too. You should probably park your car before someone else comes along.”

“Oh, that’s right!”

She hopped back into the SUV and swiftly parked in the spot. She turned the engine off and stepped out with her iced coffee in hand. She held it out to Chanyeol. “Here, you look like you’re really hot. I hope you don’t mind drinking from the same straw as mine.”

He shook his head with a smile and reached out for the cool drink. “I’m fine with it. Thanks for the drink.”

He took a quick sip and sighed in relief. “That hit the spot. If there’s nothing else you need help with, I’ll be on my way, miss.”

Just before he turned around, she called out, “Wait! Do you wanna grab some ice cream or later? It is really hot today and I just really need something cooler than this watered down coffee. My treat; and my name’s Sora.”

Chanyeol chuckled and stuffed his hands into the pockets of his basketball shorts. “That sounds wonderful. And I’m assuming this is all after you get some groceries?”

Her face grew red and she nodded. “Yeah. I’m just going to apologize in advance if I take too long in there.”

“Why would you? I was actually planning on going inside myself to loiter and to cool off so might as well go in and help you instead.”

She broke out into a smile and started walking towards the entrance. “Thanks. What kind of ice cream do you want?”

“Anything’s fine with me.”