Meeting

Tell me more

*Tap*

            *tap*

                        *tap*

 

 

‘Ignore it’ I think to myself, that incessant noise outside my window, most likely the sound of rainwater dripping onto something below. With my lack of sleep getting to me, I get up, pull open the curtains and peer into the darkness in search for the source of my agitation, which has kept me up ever since I moved into this apartment 5 days ago.

 

You see, in my pursuit to attend a musically oriented college, I moved out of home so that I could reduce some travel time. With my lack of budget and knowhow, I ended up at the so-called ‘shoddy shack’. Why the nickname you may ask, well other than the fact that the place looks like it’s about to fall apart with its rusted roofs, mysterious dark stains and a whistling drafts, the original owner was frugal. After the completion of the building, the original owner realised he had not budgeted enough to pay the builders to segment the building into two levels of four apartments, so rather than paying more, he decided there would be four normal rooms on the first floor, and three slightly larger rooms on the second, or so they say. Thus the upper level only had three rooms, one in which I live in, room number 6.

 

The next morning, as the sun began to rise, I woke up tired and groggy from another terrible nights sleep. Rather than going back to sleep, I decided to get up. Walking into the bathroom I looked into the mirror to see a panda looking at me, at least that was what I had looked like with my dishevelled black hair, pale skin and dark eye circles. Tying my hair into a somewhat messy ponytail, I put on my running gear and left my apartment for my morning jog.

 

Upon walking out the building, I realised that someone else had gotten up earlier than me, his light brown hair moved with the early morning breeze as he stared up at the still brightening sky. As I walked closer I realised he was gaunt and haggard looking, but his eyes were big and round, staring up at the sky as if with curiosity.

 

‘Couldn’t sleep as well?’ I asked, trying to make conversation as I had yet to make a single friend in this area.

 

He turned and stared at me but made no reply.

 

‘Do you... live in this building as well?’ I ask once more, the silence becoming unbearably awkward.

 

However the awkwardness was soon broken in one instant. The second his face broke into a warm smile, everything felt all right.

 

‘Yeah’ he answered quickly, as if to make up for the silence ‘I live on the second floor down the hall... oh my name is Luhan!’