The Beginning

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

August, 2009.

 

 

Ryosuke

 

My name is Yamada Ryosuke.

At the beginning of summer 2009, I was just a regular highschool freshman. It was probably the peak of my successful happy life. I got admitted in Horikoshi Highschool, one of the most prestigious school in Japan. Not just admitted. I got a full scholarship due to my impressive record as a soccer player in the nationals. I had dreamt of entering this school ever since I was in elementary school. I applied together with my girlfriend, Shida Mirai--whom I had courted for almost two years—and my best bud, Kamiki Ryunosuke—who had been there with me through thick and thin ever since I can remember. The three of us have known eachother since elementary school, and we decided we were going to enroll in the same high school again. When the announcement came and included three of our names, we were content beyond words. We were so eager to start our highschool life together.

April was our first month in highschool. During the first four months, we were doing okay. In fact, we were doing more than we could’ve imagined. Mirai, being the brightest girl I know all my life, sucessfully become one of the smartest bunch in school, competing against some senior to representate our school in a national debating competition. Ryu, being the charismatic leader type managed to crawl himself up in the top ring of our student council, securing a spot as the vice president which was made for the representative of the freshmans. Me? I was promoted to soccer captain on my first year—or four months to be exact—breaking the record of Horikoshi soccer club history. With those achievements, the three of us became unstoppable.

We were doing more than okay. Highschool life just couldn’t get any better than that.

So that was how my perfect highschool life started. Anyway, here I am, competing in the biggest highschool soccer game in Japan; the national tournament. Our team made it to the final round. Now, between the championship trophy and our school, it’s just Sea King Highschool standing on our way.

Mirai was watching me from the front row of the tribune. I stole glances towards her direction a few times. Ryu is a soccer player himself on our team, so he was with me in the field. I was the striker, while he plays the back. The first round was quite intense and tight. Both team were pretty much the strongest highschool team in Japan, evenly matched.

But it won’t be for long. It’s only a few minutes left before the second round ends. And I don’t want to end up having penalty kick rounds. Hell no.

I waited on the left wing of the field, as my teammate, Sakaguchi Kentarou, passed me the ball. There were about three Sea King players who were guarding me that time. I noticed Sea King Highschool had a lot of huge and tall players. I wasn’t so tall myself. But it gave me the advantage in speed and agility. I guess that was the reason why I was placed as the striker, I was able to cut through small openings and break my opponent's defense easily. So I dashed forward against the back who was guarding right in front of me, then quickly maneuvered to the side, dribbled the ball farther, completely deceiving him. I glanced quickly at the ticking of the digital clock, only a few seconds left.  I quickly aimed and hit the ball with might. And...

GOAL!

I scored!

Seconds later, the entire field were filled with screams of victory. I instinctively jerked my head towards the direction Mirai was sitting. I noticed her small body jumping and waving at my direction. It immediately ressurected a smile on my face. I instantly felt like hugging her that moment. I ran around, screaming out my pride loudly, and even did a backflip in front of my supporters for a celebration.

The camera zoomed at my figure, and there I was, my entire face covering the whole monitor of the stadium. I gave a triumphant wave at the audience. My teammates were jumping and running and shouting with glee. They were heading towards my direction. I was ready to receive any hugs, fist bump, or even punches from them, as I greet them with a wide smile.

But then, it happened. It was the critical second that had changed my entire life.

Something strucked my right leg, from inside. It was as if a knife had been stabbed deep into it. There was no warning at all. The smile on my face was immediately replaced by a wince of agony. I dropped to my knee and rolled down in pain.

“Ryosuke!”

I heard faint screams of my friends calling my name from several directions. But the pain had blurred my entire senses. It stings so bad that it probably reached the source of my nervous system that I could only clutch at my leg and cried. From the faint thumps at the ground, I could imagine my friends kneeling down and surrounded my defenseless body. But I couldn’t even open my eyes. The pain was too tormenting.

“Hang in there Ryosuke!”

I could feel my entire body being lifted from the ground. But then the screams and voices gradually blurs in my mind.

Until everything went entirely black.

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

Mirai

 

My name is Shida Mirai.

Ever since I was young, I had decided that I wanted to be a doctor. But that determination was just a mere childhood dream. I’m sure above 60% of kids around the world would want to be a doctor. Perhaps, you're one of those kids too. But that childhood dream was driven into an ambition years later. When I realized how important it is to be able cure people from diseases. Especially those people you love.

My boyfriend, Yamada Ryosuke, is an athlete. A national soccer player in fact. We’re in the same age, he’s only older than me by a day. I’ve known him ever since we were really young. My childhood friend, Kamiki Ryunosuke, had introduced us to eachother back then. We became inseparable as friends, before feelings grew and our relationship develops into the next level.

Ryosuke had always been a charming and charismatic person. His determination and hardwork is incomparable to anyone I know. I’ve been with him for years, and his journey into becoming a national soccer player for Japan was never easy. Never did he hesitate to give up even when the hardest times came to him. He always thinks that his achievements was all thanks to luck, but I believe it was hardwork that had brought him that far.

Watching him play was always interesting for me. It reminds me again the side of Ryosuke I came to love. Ever since I started watching him play soccer, I never stopped worrying. I always know the risks of injury for a profesional soccer player is high. But it would be too selfish for me to restrain him from doing what he loves. So the only thing I could do is sit back, watch him, and support him properly. So, like any other soccer match, I sat and watch to fully support him that day.

But then, that sudden scenario happened. The scenario I wish to never witness. He had just given us our victorious goal, when he crouched down in the middle of the field in pain. My heart pounded really fast in anxiety. Without any further thinking I rushed down and even jumped down three stairs at once, immediately making my way towards the field.

Ryosuke was soon brought to a nearby hospital. I was allowed to accompany him inside the ambulance. I don’t know whether he was conscious or not, but he was frowning deep throughout the entire trip. Even when he was assisted by an oxygen mask. I couldn’t imagine how much pain he was feeling. All I can do was hold his hands and intertwined it with mine and prayed that the pain would end.

As we arrived, the paramedics took him to the emergency room. I was told to wait outside. Soon, Kamiki joined me, along with some of his teammates, Sakaguchi Kentarou and Shotaro Mamiya. I immediately informed his parents, and they immediately rushed towards the hospital.

We waited anxiously outside, not really knowing what they were doing to Ryosuke. I think Kamiki noticed the faint tears that was slowly and uncontrollably b in my eyes. Because he took my hand and held it tightly to give me strenght.

“Don’t worry, Ryosuke is strong,” he said, giving me a reassuring smile. I nodded back, trying hard to hide my fear as I wipe my tears from both my cheeks and took a deep breath to make them stop.

Not long after, his parents arrive. I was glad Kamiki had calmed me down, now that I was no longer crying and I could properly greet his parents without worrying them further. A few minutes later,  a doctor came out of his room and ask Ryosuke’s parents for a moment to speak. They were speaking right outside the emergency room, but I couldn’t hear a single word they were exchanging.

But then, I saw Ryosuke’s mother broke down and cried. His father had to held both her hands and rested her face on his chest to muffle her cry. I didn’t know what happened, but my heart clenched in imagining what might be the possibilities. I saw a nurse coming out of his room, and I immediately went to her.

“Is it okay to see him now?” I asked her. I decided it was better to go to Ryosuke’s side that moment.

The nurse took a glance at the doctor for approval. The doctor gave the two of us a simple nod.

"Just, two people only. The others can visit some other time," the nurse told me.

So, after a short discussion, Sakaguchi and Shotaro agreed to head home. They ask me to said their goodbye to Ryosuke. Kamiki and I then proceeded to enter the room.

There I saw Ryosuke, laying on top of the emergency bed. He was conscious now, and there was a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter