It all began in the flower shop

◤The Rooftop Lovers◢◠[CLOSED.]

Chapter1: 

“It's hard to believe in coincidence, but it's even harder to believe in anything else.” 
― John Green
 

  


“Yeah its right by our flowershop, you really cannot miss it,” the voice chided gently through the phone while Kyun furrowed his eyebrows, looking around at the towering buildings in mild confusion. He sighed, scratching his head as he swivelled around on spot, the sun catching in his chestnut brown hair.

“I don’t know Eunji…I have absolutely no idea where I am right now,” he muttered, chewing nervously on his lip as he glanced down at his watch. It wasn’t like Shin Han Kyun to get lost but today was an exception.

He was in a new part of the city and had no idea what was what except for the small flower shop Eunji and her mother owned. But even using that as a guidemark did little to help as he had been wandering around for 30straight minutes now, utterly and hopelessly lost. With a sigh, a tiny pout forming on his plump lips, he back-tracked, heading towards the small flower-shop painted in white, decorated in an explosion of different flowers adorning its entrance.

He could see splashes of scarlet from the roses to the striking blue of the blue-bells, the mixed scent of flowers just tickling his nose as he shoved his hands into his pockets, approaching the shop yet again.

Eunji sighed, “Are you sure they didn’t get the address wro-“

Her words were cut off as Kyun’s world suddenly spun. A flash of blue skies and buildings flooded his vision before he was slamming into the pavement, a high-pitched shriek piercing his ears, swiftly followed by a series of low-key curses in a language he couldn’t recognize. The stinging sensation in his palm and the shuffling of a body nearby helped Kyun piece the situation together.

Lost. Confused. And now inflicting bodily harm on others. Things were not off to a great start.

Ow. He thought vaguely, pocketing his fallen phone while he glanced at the tall woman thrown hazardously across the pavement next to him. He immediately bowed his head, scrambling to help her while muttering apologies quietly to himself. She brushed her hair away from her face, looking up to find a broad-shouldered, handsome man with plump pink lips and beautiful eyes gazing down at her in concern, hand reaching out for hers. He took the confused look on her face as one of reproach, continuing to bow and mumble apologies as she slipped her hands into his, the soft texture of her hand mildly surprising him. That is until he spotted the dirt staining her jeans, his face immediately blanching.

I’m sorry,” he mumbled again, bowing deeply as he internally facepalmed himself. The woman merely shook her head, “No it’s okay,” she said, her voice sending a tingly sensation through him that was not at all unpleasant.

She looked at him contemplatively rubbing her arm, digging the heel of her shoe into the pavement while Kyun rocked awkwardly back and forth, chewing on his bottom lip while his eyes flickered nervously from the woman to the buildings surrounding them. She was the victim of this situation and she had every right to be mad. But she did not explode as Kyun had imagined inside his paranoid mind. She just continued to stare, small smile twitching on her lips as the silence dragged on. Something about him reminded her of a certain medicine student from her past, someone whom she had just admired from afar. Memories ignited within herself like a small candle, her smile widening. Maybe it was something in the way he carried himself. Maybe it was the shy aura illuminating him, hinting at a greater beauty within.

He coughed dryly, turning and jogging a few paces back towards the flower shop, talking to someone, the conversation muffled as the woman watched in confusion. A second later, Kyun was walking back to the woman, holding a single flower between his thin fingers, smiling shyly as he his arms out, startling the woman slightly.

“I’m really sorry about knocking you over…and for your jeans,” he said, his smile making her heart flutter, “I hope you’ll accept my gift as a token of my apology.” He said, her gaze flickering from his hopeful face to the flower he was holding ungracefully in her face.

She wordlessly took the flower from him, blinking in surprise as she realized what it was.

A peonie.

Her eyes widened, looking up only to find that he had already disappeared, the warm feeling of his presence mixing in with a new tinge of disappointment. With a small sigh, she sniffed the flower, smiling to herself as she brushed herself off, continuing on her way.

Han Yeorin was not one to dawdle when there were things to be done.

--

A little way behind her, a car sputtered, slowing down and choking, releasing all sorts of fumes before eventually stopping dead on the road with a loud wheezing cough.

Hyunshik cursed to himself, a string of creative insults flooding from his lips as he slammed his hand down irritably on the handle, annoyance twitching in his every movement. He flung the door of the car open, nearly ripping it off its hinges while continuing to mumble darkly to himself as he tugged the hood of his car open, peering down at the complex system with the scent of oil and smoke welcoming him Sighing, he fumbled around in his pocket, pulling out a cigarette, hastily lighting it as he took a long drag, exhaling the smoke which curled around him in a spiralling dance, feeling himself relax.

It was as he dropped his cigarette to the gravel, digging his heel into the dying light that the voice called out to him.

“Need some help?” she asked.

Hyunshik turned in surprise, watching as a girl came stalking towards him, lowering the two large boxes in her arms before joining him under the hood, staring at him with a grin. He merely blinked at her. It was unusual for someone to be so comfortable around him at first meeting. After all, he didn’t exactly resemble a cuddly teddy-bear. Unfazed by his silence, she merely studied the complex mechanism before her while he studied her in mild surprise. She caught him staring and he looked away, clearing his throat. He blamed the sudden flush across his face on the heat from the engine.

She eventually hummed, tapping the hood of the car before meeting his eyes with a grin, “Looks like your engine overheated,” she said before he could say a word. His eye twitched slightly, lips glued together in shock. She was totally unfazed by his silence, turning towards the flowershop located right across the street before returning swiftly with a large bottle of water in her hands. She nudged Hyunshik gently out of the way, proceeding to pour the water through a gap that he had not even known existed. 

The brightest smile crossed her face as she lowered the bottle, flashing him another grin that sent the poor man spiralling into a deeper state of confusion. Normally, if people weren’t scared by the hard, scary glint in his eyes and the stoic face, then they’d be running from him the minute they saw his tattoo. The general words associated with him were ‘evil’ and ‘tough guy’ but none of that seemed to sink in with this girl. Instead she just proceeded to close the hood of the car, giving it an admiring pat before gazing up at Hyunshik, eyes absolutely sparkling.

“She’s a beauty! What year is she?” the girl inquired, her words only barely registering in his mind. He felt oddly sluggish and very confused, unable to decide whether he liked the feeling or not.

“You’re a girl…” were the first words that tumbled out of his mouth. . he thought, cringing as her eyebrows shot up, a frown replacing her smile as she rolled her eyes at him, scooping the boxes effortlessly back into her arms as she proceeded to march ahead.

“Wait!” He called after her, words already escaping before his thoughts had the chance to keep up with him. She turned, long hair flicking over her shoulder as she looked back at him.

“Yeah?” she called back, eyes studying his curiously.

He jerked his head, opening the passenger seat as a look of understanding dawned on her pretty face.

The Myo Hyunshik was giving a stranger a ride.

--

“Ruo!” Mrs. Jung, the owner of the local flowershop, ‘Enchanted’ called out from the booth, causing the lanky male to backtrack, his wide-eyes growing bigger in curiosity.

“Yeah?” he asked, scratching his neck as the plump woman smiled warmly at him, passing him a parcel much to his bemusement.
“What’s this ahjumma?” he asked, staring at the basket of flowers she handed him, strands of baby’s breath and roses of all kinds forming a beautiful bouquet.

The woman grinned, “Joongki told me that you were getting a roommate today! I thought it’d be nice if you gave her a nice welcoming present. It’s been awhile since you’ve lived with someone after all.” she chirped.

The 20 year old fidgeted nervously, shifting from foot to foot as he offered the grinning woman a smile, “Thanks ahjumma,” he said, thinking of the best way to ditch the flowers. There was no way in hell that he was going to make his roommate feel welcome.

He thought about it all the way back to the apartment, contemplating giving it to the nice old lady when he noticed a short, blonde-haired figure dressed in a hideous green sweater that did nothing for her thin figure walking a little way ahead. He blinked, wondering momentarily why anyone would want to look like a walking cucumber before shrugging away the thought, taking several long strides and swiftly catching up to the girl.

She glared at him reproachfully as he walked astride her, staring shamelessly at her pretty face, big eyes boring into hers. She came to a stop, scowling heavily, prepared to shoot every possible insult at him when he shoved the basket of flowers into her face, overwhelming her with the sudden scent of roses. Her eyelashes fluttered as she blinked rapidly, gingerly accepting the basket on impulse as the lanky noodle like creature before her grinned, “Happy Birthday,” he said goofily before stalking ahead, hands shoved in his pockets, a skip in his step.

Yongsun was left to glare after him with a look of mild confusion and sympathy.

It would be hard living as a delusional lunatic like him, she thought with something close to pity. But she shrugged, dragging the flower-basket with her as she trudged towards the towering building, studying the small sign up ahead.

“Muhanjeong Apartments,” she mumbled softly, pausing to take in the scene before her.

What could possibly be waiting for her? What could possibly waiting for them?

--

Could they have known that these small encounters were soon to change the rest of their lives?

Coincidence can be stupid at times, rolling in through a door we did not know was open, bringing a new turn of events with it.

Sometimes, it is welcome, sometimes it is surprising. And sometimes it is a mix of everything in between. 

But what can be done? We must accept that these strange occurences are all just a part of the even stranger world we live in; another mechanism in the larger engine of life.

Our protagonists will learn to embrace these events as more than just coincidence.

This too is fate;

Fate that will unfold before their eyes.


A/N: ugh I'm sorry~ I at writing intros T.T Screw that, I with writing in general :O Anyways, so there we have it folks~~ the characters are all revealed. But are these the roomie pairs? *cue dramatic music* wait to see in the next chapter~ I swear it'll be better! I love you all my darlings <3